• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiteWolf

Do you guys think Gotham City Sirens will be the first Rated R DC movie? The movie will definitely be sexualized to no end. There is no way this a movie for kids.
BvS:UC will probably be the first and last R rated DCEU movie sadly. I'm holding out hope for the eventual Deathstroke film and Justice League Dark to be R rated, but I doubt it. I wish the suits at WB understood that tone wasn't the issue BvS, it was the script.

Ross61

BvS:UC will probably be the first and last R rated DCEU movie sadly. I'm holding out hope for the eventual Deathstroke film and Justice League Dark to be R rated, but I doubt it. I wish the suits at WB understood that tone wasn't the issue BvS, it was the script.

From critic and fan reaction, it was both.

Odoul

Do you guys think Gotham City Sirens will be the first Rated R DC movie? The movie will definitely be sexualized to no end. There is no way this a movie for kids.

I don't think it will be R, but it most definitely is gonna get rake over the coals for how it depicts women.

The articles are already out there and the movie has only been announced for a few weeks.

The idea of non-sexual Catwoman or Poison Ivy...

Penguin

I don't think it will be

Sure Harley's costume was... questionable in Suicide Squad, but didn't make her overtly sexual beyond that.

Fan reaction says otherwise. Even now, you've got people talking about how BvS was "grimdark" (no, it's not), and how the tone destroyed the movie for them.

I think it's both but general audiences were more forgiving of Suicide Squad for being lighter, in multiple senses of the word.

And more and more the theatrical cut of BvS seems to be a mess reading the OT topic. Like, I catch myself wanting to answer questions and realize it's something from the ultimate cut. They take out so many plot foundations it's sort of hard for them to work.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Just caught the end of BvS on HBO while at my folks house, watching it with my dad, he loves that movie. We watched the UC this past summer when I came to visit, but he's seen the regular version on HBO like 5 times now. I love that movie the more I watch it.

I'm watching BvS:UC right now and I still get goosebumps when Wonder Woman saves Batman and her theme kicks in. The only other movie that does that to me is in Aliens when Ripley comes out in the power loader ready to fuck up the queen.

Effect

I think it's both but general audiences were more forgiving of Suicide Squad for being lighter, in multiple senses of the word.

And more and more the theatrical cut of BvS seems to be a mess reading the OT topic. Like, I catch myself wanting to answer questions and realize it's something from the ultimate cut. They take out so many plot foundations it's sort of hard for them to work.
I do think for some they have a hard time following the movie. TC or UC. However for many others I feel they're being purposefully ignorant on a number of things. The film is not hard to follow if you pay attention and if you don't there could be problems no matter which version. The movie is dense with info and does hold your hand but not complicated. I've always maintained its not a film you can turn your brain off for and many expected or wanted that. That's held against it I feel. However some like to ignore what the movie shows and tells because it doesn't fit their narrative. For that I will always call BS on.

I still believe some did not get the Martha scene. Instead of admitting they got the scene wrong after it was explained to them they try to act like they did so they can keep repeating their 'joke' when in truth that joke is what they really believed. That's the thing that will never stop bothering me and lowers my opinion of some people.

Bleepey

I do think for some they have a hard time following the movie. TC or UC. However for many others I feel they're being purposefully ignorant on a number of things. The film is not hard to follow if you pay attention and if you don't there could be problems no matter which version. The movie is dense with info and does hold your hand but not complicated. I've always maintained its not a film you can turn your brain off for and many expected or wanted that. That's held against it I feel. However some like to ignore what the movie shows and tells because it doesn't fit their narrative. For that I will always call BS on.

I still believe some did not get the Martha scene. Instead of admitting they got the scene wrong after it was explained to them they try to act like they did so they can keep repeating their 'joke' when in truth that joke is what they really believed. That's the thing that will never stop bothering me and lowers my opinion of some people.

It was a meme before release, a friend of mine was telling me how stupid the fight ended and just wait and see. So I watched it and didn't get what people were complaining about. His argument: the fight stopped cos their mum's have the same name!

My argument: the film begins with the death of the Wayne's
Superman tries to say save Martha Kent but the kent part didn't come out cos he was being chocked
You see him getting a PTSD flashback
You see Superman begging for the life of his mother
He thinks of himself as Joe Chill

His argument yeah but still, same name!

SJRB

Gold Member
I'm watching BvS:UC right now and I still get goosebumps when Wonder Woman saves Batman and her theme kicks in. The only other movie that does that to me is in Aliens when Ripley comes out in the power loader ready to fuck up the queen.

For me it's the part in the Superman montage with the flood and the lady reaching out to Superman and you see his silhouette in the sun. Fucking awesome. When I saw that in the theatre for the first time I said "woah" out loud, haha.

And the bit before the Luthor party where Bruce is in the cave and looks at the Bat suit. The music, the look on Bruce's face, everything is perfect.

Bleepey

I like Bruce Wayne sonning Clark. The attempt at trying to appear aloof and absent minded. Clark constantly forcing him to stay on point. and the look of sheer contempt on Bruce Wayne's face... so good

bryanee

Merry Christmas fellow DCEU Fans.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I think the only good trailer we've got this month was the Planet of the Apes trailer, the rest have been mediocre. So it's not like they're at a disadvantage by not releasing it yet.

Merry Christmas DCEU GAF.

J_Viper

Bros, Live by Night wasn't great.

Truly, there must be a curse following anyone who participates in the DCEU.

Miami is a pretty nice place. It's never cold here and there's a lot of places to sit back and chill. Cavill and Rock know what's up.

I lived in Miami most of my life and HATED it.

It's not cold, you're right about that, but it is always humid and hot as fuck.

Plus I have a ton of personal reasons to hate that place, but that's on me. I will say that I've made some of my best friends in Miami.

Ninjimbo

Bros, Live by Night wasn't great.

Truly, there must be a curse following anyone who participates in the DCEU.

I lived in Miami most of my life and HATED it.

It's not cold, you're right about that, but it is always humid and hot as fuck.

Plus I have a ton of personal reasons to hate that place, but that's on me. I will say that I've made some of my best friends in Miami.
Miami can be shitty. It's not an easy place to live in at all and the culture can be infuriating. But under the right circumstances it's nice. Just depends what you're into.

So what's up with Live By Night? Is it a bad movie or are there good things in it?

Get out or get into?
I always thought of Batman Returns as a sort of feel bad movie. Things don't end particularly well for anybody. That's why I say 'get out' because holidays are supposed to be about fun and cheer! You'll only feel kinda bad watching Returns (but also kinda good).

My argument: the film begins with the death of the Wayne's
Superman tries to say save Martha Kent but the kent part didn't come out cos he was being chocked
You see him getting a PTSD flashback
You see Superman begging for the life of his mother
He thinks of himself as Joe Chill

His argument yeah but still, same name!

Wow first time in this DCEU tread and I like what I am readung. I felt the same exact way about that scene. Really do think people over exaggerated that one line not really understanding the context behind it. Throughout the whole film movie Batman is suffering from trauma in form of nightmares.

J_Viper

Also, the budget will probably way higher in THE BATMAN.

True, I was actually surprised that Live by Night was "only" $65 Million.

I'm thinking Batman will be at least double.

Miami can be shitty. It's not an easy place to live in at all and the culture can be infuriating. But under the right circumstances it's nice. Just depends what you're into.

So what's up with Live By Night? Is it a bad movie or are there good things in it?

I definitely can't say it's a bad movie, it's too well crafted for such a label, but it commits the worst sin these type of films can make, in that it's simply boring. It's only two hours and eight minutes, but it feels soooo much longer because the middle drags so much.

It does look REALLY nice though, and the cast is great. A lot of critics are talking mess about Ben's acting here, but I thought he was solid.

I also like a good deal of the dialogue, and feel Ben's style of writing would perfectly transfer to a comic flick.

I don't dislike it, but like another poster here stated previously, it's kinda just there.

It's a shame, because Ben seemed super passionate about this, and I'm thinking having to get this movie wrapped in between filming BvS and JL probably interfered with its production.

Well I have no plans to ever visit that place.

I'm going to Hawaii instead.

Good call

Ninjimbo

Wow first time in this DCEU tread and I like what I am readung. I felt the same exact way about that scene. Really do think people over exaggerated that one line not really understanding the context behind it. Throughout the whole film movie Batman is suffering from trauma in form of nightmares.
The movie really goes out of its way to make Batman a broken figure. He's not supposed to be the hero you 'knew' which is why Batman is pretty unlikeable until the end. I think that's why the Martha moment hit me kinda hard the first time around because I just felt like Batman had come to the realization that he had lost himself and what he had originally stood for.

People rag on the line "You have to save Martha!" by Supes in that scene. They'll ask you why he couldn't have said something like "Save my mom" but I think saying something else would have undercut the point of Batman's arc which is what those original words perfectly encapsulated: Batman freaks out because it sounds like Supes is telling him to save Bruce's mother! Batman can only internalize that as his own failure.

"WHY DID YOU SAY THAT NAME?!?"

I just think people don't want to see their heroes be vulnerable like that.

Merry Christmas everyone!

25fea1603e436992e933166a05ed2248.jpg

And what's with the shade thrown at Miami? The city has its problems, but lotta great people down here, and a ton of stuff to do.

Bleepey

Tell me about it. You have people arguing that the poster child of the "my parents are dead" trope would have a serious reaction to someone pleading for someone called Martha in a similar way to his father did in this continuity.

It's always fun looking at the threads discussing how the movie could be improved and people's improvements are things already done in the movie or people miss the point of why certain decisions are done.

Why did Batman kill, he never kills!

He has always killed in film, plus if he is not open to killing what do you expect to happen if they fight and he wins? Also how do character arcs work?

The movie never showed what people thought of Superman during the movie?

I guess if you ignore the many tv talking heads acting as a Greek chorus or the comments made by Perry White, Batman, Lex, people painting his symbol on their roofs, people damn near worshiping him in Mexico, the banners by people in the crowd, Wallace Keefe, the two senators, people at the funeral and I think that's most of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom