• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ninjimbo

Damn Icon, you got V For Vendetta up that high? Respect. That's an underappreciated movie.

My personal top five is like

1. The Dark Knight
2. Batman v Superman (either version)
3. Watchmen
4. Man of Steel
5. Batman Begins

Also, lol at BvS not being a good movie.

LionPride

Banned
Damn Icon, you got V For Vendetta up that high? Respect. That's an underappreciated movie.

My personal top five is like

1. The Dark Knight
2. Batman v Superman (either version)
3. Watchmen
4. Man of Steel
5. Batman Begins

Also, lol at BvS not being a good movie.
It's not, it's just not. And I don't mean not good in terms of comic movies. I mean not a good movie period.

LionPride

Banned
What's so wrong with the movie?

A lot of unneeded exposition and details and scenes that went on longer than needed and some that did not need to be there. Yet at the same time scenes that needed to exist were not in the TC and the UC just upsets me because why does your movie need a 3 hour director's cut to function? Superman regresses, which he really shouldn't do. Man of Steel is the first day on the job for him, Superman here does not feel like he has really advanced as a hero in the time that has passed.

The relationship between Lois and Clark seems...off to me. Lois is a damsel, I do not appreciate that. The stuff with Wonder Woman, minus her kickass theme, is terrible. The JL exposition was all bad really, but Aquaman's was the worst of the bunch. The Africa stuff that was not in the TC upsets me because that is an important part of the movie cut and put in the UC when that was necessary. The unearned reference with Superman floating in the sky post nuke irritated me to no end.

Had no problem with Batman killing, never have. Batman was actually the best part of the movie by far, Ben Affleck is a good Bruce and Batman. His fight scene was the films highlight. Doomsday makes logical sense following the events of Man of Steel, that's all fine and dandy. What isn't fine and dandy is the fact that his death was not earned. At all. The audience gets a movie and some of BvS to like Superman, something most audiences did not do. There is nothing that made me feel like "Yeah, this is a good time to do this" They shot their shot too early.

The Knightmare stuff...whew. I get their attempts at world building, but doing a semi-injustice thing coupled with the Darkseid stuff is just not good. The scene was not good. If it was not for the fact I knew who Barry was, I would have no clue who was coming out of that wormhole. The Steppenwolf stuff...aight sure. Lex as a character is fine, the jolly rancher thing is dumb but whatever. I like him and he doesn't bother me.

I watched that movie twice. I'm not making that mistake again. My excitement for Wonder Woman is gone and I should not say this sentence in 2017, but I don't care about the Justice League movie. I don't like Ezra Miller as Barry, I don't like that their using Barry. I really dislike the usage of Cyborg because he's not a good character. I like Aquaman, one of my favorite characters, I hope Mamoa kills it. But, I do not plan on seeing Wonder Woman and Justice League unless people I can trust tell me that they are good, not passable, not alright, but good.

Ninjimbo

A few thoughts:

Lois isn't really that much of a damsel. She's much more likeable in the Snyderverse than in any other iteration that I've seen. Mind you, I like Superman a lot but I'm hardly versed in the comics and the movies he's starred in.

You're right in saying that Superman hasn't really evolved as hero and that's because he's still growing into the role. A year after the events, he's still trying to figure out his place in the world and a bunch of the world isn't comfortable with his presence. So he's figuring things out meanwhile tragedies are occurring around him and he's still ultimately powerless to change the course of human nature. It nags at him which is why he calls his mom in the middle of the night.

The JL stuff, I love it. It grows the universe and really works as a great tease for what's to come. You have to remember that this movie was like three years in production and it would be another year and a half before we finally see the JL in action. That shit was for the fans and I appreciate the tease. It only last like five minutes. I don't get why people get so caught up in it.

Supes death felt earned to me buddy. The way the music swells up when he picks up the lance, the way Cavill delivers those lines to Lois, the way Batman and Wonderwoman look when they discover what has happened, the funeral scene with all of Clark's friends, the obituary in the Daily Planet, the entire world taking a day off to remember his sacrifice after saving the world again...fuck. That's probably the best funeral scene ever put to film. Shit had me choking up in the theater. It works for me primarily because that's how I feel Supes would have handled a crazy situation like that. He will make the sacrifice for the greater good.

Those are just some of the things I love about the movie. I can go on and on about how I think the imagery is nothing short of astonishing particularly the shot of Supes in the middle of the Day of the Dead parade. BvS works on so many levels for me. It's more than just the stuff you see. The movie has depth beyond its surface.

I've seen it 8 times already. I'll probably do another rewatch soon.

Bleepey

sometimes all we have is our feelings.

people want nostalgia and for many they can't reconcile that the Christopher Reeve Superman is long gone. we are getting the John Byrne/Mark Waid/Geoff Johns/Grant Morrison Superman and that makes many uncomfortable and angry.

Man of Steel got raked over the coals in this forum by many because it wasn't like the Christopher Reeve Superman. that's not a valid criticism at all. what DC has failed to give people is something that's easily digestible and I would disagree with anyone when they say it hasn't been good.

I still am unsure about the bullet plot point but I understand how killing that warlord would bring a power vacuum, can someone explain it to me? that's my main issue with the movie which I otherwise thought was great.

Lex wanted to make it seem like that because of the removal of the general. The rebels came in and slaughtered the villagers in retaliation due to the people protecting the village dying. Again this should have been given a few more time whether in the witness's testimony or from News reports.

Bleepey

#6 - I always took it as Lex knows people in the military and Man of Steel shows he can see through objects when he turns himself in. Lois and Clark would have been recorded in that interrogation room and likely analyzed to hell and back by countless people. Rumblings, or maybe even the video, would have gotten to to Lex at some point.

A throwaway line should have been included though.

I kinda hope Wonder Woman explains some of the stuff in BVS. Like how Lex knew about Wonder Woman and similar.

I kinda hope Wonder Woman explains some of the stuff in BVS. Like how Lex knew about Wonder Woman and similar.

Lois could find who Superman was by interviewing people who saw the things he did, so it's very probable that Lex, who has way more resources than Lois, could find the photo and info about what Wonder Woman did in WW1. Also, about the other members of the League, Lex probably learned about strange events and then gained more info about them by hacking or using people in the goverment.

Spider-Man 2
The Dark Knight
X2
Batman Begins
Spider-Man

BvS would prolly make top 10. Dredd too if it counts.

if we go all movies based on comic books it gets tougher I think. less room for superheroes then for me.

disco we miss u at the chat

we?

how about you?

me?
yeah!?

well, you you are a good pilot! the resistance needs you!

LionPride

Banned
A few thoughts:

Lois isn't really that much of a damsel. She's much more likeable in the Snyderverse than in any other iteration that I've seen. Mind you, I like Superman a lot but I'm hardly versed in the comics and the movies he's starred in.

You're right in saying that Superman hasn't really evolved as hero and that's because he's still growing into the role. A year after the events, he's still trying to figure out his place in the world and a bunch of the world isn't comfortable with his presence. So he's figuring things out meanwhile tragedies are occurring around him and he's still ultimately powerless to change the course of human nature. It nags at him which is why he calls his mom in the middle of the night.

Supes death felt earned to me buddy. The way the music swells up when he picks up the lance, the way Cavill delivers those lines to Lois, the way Batman and Wonderwoman look when they discover what has happened, the funeral scene with all of Clark's friends, the obituary in the Daily Planet, the entire world taking a day off to remember his sacrifice after saving the world again...fuck. That's probably the best funeral scene ever put to film. Shit had me choking up in the theater. It works for me primarily because that's how I feel Supes would have handled a crazy situation like that. He will make the sacrifice for the greater good.

Those are just some of the things I love about the movie. I can go on and on about how I think the imagery is nothing short of astonishing particularly the shot of Supes in the middle of the Day of the Dead parade. BvS works on so many levels for me. It's more than just the stuff you see. The movie has depth beyond its surface.

The best funeral scene in film? Sure okay. Alright.

Amy Adams Lois is one of the worst versions od Lois I've seen in a while. Especially when held up against something like Smallville.

LionPride

Banned
One day I should commit to watching Smallville.
No you shouldn't. I've watched every episode. It was WB good from 1-3, alright in 4, faltering in 5, 6 and 7 were gross, 8 was good to me, 9 was the best season because Tom Welling finally learned how to act, 10 was straight.

Too many bad episodes. So so many.

IconGrist

No you shouldn't. I've watched every episode. It was WB good from 1-3, alright in 4, faltering in 5, 6 and 7 were gross, 8 was good to me, 9 was the best season because Tom Welling finally learned how to act, 10 was straight.

Too many bad episodes. So so many.

Alright in 4? Season 4 is some of the worst TV ever released. Just beats out the awful Angel season 4.

bryanee

We doing tops fives yo?

1. The Dark Knight
2. Batman Begins
3. Batman v Superman: Ultimate Cut
4. Dredd
5. Ant-Man

The top two switch places all the time, it depends on what kind of mood I'm in.

Smallville has its moments. I'd probably just watch the best clips on Youtube or something. Season 9 was great though.

IconGrist

We doing tops fives yo?

1. The Dark Knight
2. Batman Begins
3. Batman v Superman: Ultimate Cut
4. Dredd
5. Ant-Man

The top two switch places all the time, it depends on what kind of mood I'm in.

Smallville has its moments. I'd probably just watch the best clips on Youtube or something. Season 9 was great though.

I love a good Top 5. Sometimes I'll throw out Iron Man for Dredd or Watchmen. Depends on how I'm feeling on that day. Today is Iron Man.

As for Smallville, my favorite scene with Lois is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFOSivQFNBw

For context, Clark and Lois were posing as a soon-to-be married couple to find out who had been abducting other soon-to-be married couples. The perpetrator rigs the couple to chairs and questions their commitment to one another. If he catches you lying he electrocutes your partner because "lies hurt the ones you love". This was the first time Lois admitted to herself she loves Clark.

J_Viper

Top 5, that's tough

The Dark Knight
Spider-Man
Constantine
Watchmen
Days of Future Past

why does your movie need a 3 hour director's cut to function?
You're right, The Godfather and Lord of the Rings films would've worked better as 90 minute flicks...

Not that I'd ever say BvS is of a similar quality to those movies, but there's nothing wrong with a three hour run time.

Dysun

The Dark Knight
Spider-Man 2
Batman Begins
Captain America The Winter Soldier
X2

I'm not sure BvS makes the top 20. Man of Steel almost makes the top 5 though.
I was really disappointed with the follow up to MoS, I was always a big fan of that movie and felt the overwhelming negativity about it was puzzling.

LionPride

Banned
Top 5, that's tough

The Dark Knight
Spider-Man
Constantine
Watchmen
Days of Future Past

You're right, The Godfather and Lord of the Rings films would've worked better as 90 minute flicks...

Not that I'd ever say BvS is of a similar quality to those movies, but there's nothing wrong with a three hour run time.

You know what works in it's theatrical cut? The Godfather, The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, and Return of the King. You know what doesn't? Batman V Superman.

So I repeat. Your movie shouldn't NEED a 3 hour director's cut to function. It needs it and it still fails at being good.

firelogic

A few thoughts:

The JL stuff, I love it. It grows the universe and really works as a great tease for what's to come. You have to remember that this movie was like three years in production and it would be another year and a half before we finally see the JL in action. That shit was for the fans and I appreciate the tease. It only last like five minutes. I don't get why people get so caught up in it.

I feel exactly the same way! People's complaints about Superman not being Superman were too premature. Snyder wanted to show who Superman was before he became the boyscout that everyone is so familiar with and we'll see him in Justice League. It was the perfect setup. Man of Steel = noob. Literal first day on the job. BvS = been doing it for a short while. Still unsure of his place in the world. Loved/hated by the people he wants to help. Comes into his own and lays down his life for Earth. Changes Batman's entire outlook on life and spurs him to form the Justice League to fight the coming evil in Superman's absence. JL = Reborn. Loved by all.

Edit: Such a shame that JL might be Snyder's last film in the DCEU. I love what he's done so far.

Ninjimbo

Hopefully it's not Snyder's last movie. If JL knocks it out of the park financially, maybe WB keeps him on. It all might depend on Snyder tho. He might want to get away from these giant productions for awhile.

J_Viper

You know what works in it's theatrical cut? The Godfather, The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, and Return of the King. You know what doesn't? Batman V Superman.

So I repeat. Your movie shouldn't NEED a 3 hour director's cut to function. It needs it and it still fails at being good.

But the theatrical cuts of LoTR and The Godfather are still around or over three hours long.

It should also be mentioned that the UC of BvS was intended to be the theatrical before WB had it chopped up.

J_Viper

I think you guys are really letting GAF get to you on this whole "Snyder is out after JL" talk. I really don't see that happening.

If JL somehow underperforms, I can see it. That seems unlikely though.

As long as JL is the action-packed light show blockbuster it needs to be, it'll do well.

guek

Banned
If we're strictly speaking of comic book superhero movies

Spider-Man 2
Winter Soldier
Dredd
Avengers
V for Vendetta

If just superhero movies, The Incredibles takes the #3 spot

If we're talking comic book movies in general, it's a completely different list

Ninjimbo

If we're talking movies based on graphic novels, I think Ghostworld might be at the top of my list. That movie has aged incredibly. It's as relevant now as it was when I first saw it in high school.

firelogic

Hopefully it's not Snyder's last movie. If JL knocks it out of the park financially, maybe WB keeps him on. It all might depend on Snyder tho. He might want to get away from these giant productions for awhile.

Definitely. If JL is a success there's no reason for WB to get rid of Snyder and seeing how amped Snyder is about his DC vision, I'd imagine he'd stay on as well. He's doing a smaller film after JL wraps so that should be enough time to let him decompress a little.

But if JL "only" pulls in BvS numbers, I think WB might want a change.

IconGrist

The true greatest CBM of all time is Blue is the Warmest Color.

wuL0hmU.jpg

firelogic

I think I like your pick of V For Vendetta much better. Tho I did like Blue is the Warmest Color.

I'll throw out Oldboy as the true champ of comic book movies. Anyone care to challenge?

Oldboy is great. As is Edge of Tomorrow (although I don't know how closely it was adapted as I've never read the book/graphic novel). And Blade 1 and 2 also deserve a spot on my list along with MoS and BvS.

LionPride

Banned
But the theatrical cuts of LoTR and The Godfather are still around or over three hours long.

It should also be mentioned that the UC of BvS was intended to be the theatrical before WB had it chopped up.
My point is that those movies work and function with their Theatrical Cut. They are still great. They do not need a 3 hour DC that feels like it's 3 hours of my time I could be using doing anything else.

The Extended Editions of LoTR and Godfather are better, but are not needed to make those films good.

IconGrist

My point is that those movies work and function with their Theatrical Cut. They are still great. They do not need a 3 hour DC that feels like it's 3 hours of my time I could be using doing anything else.

The Extended Editions of LoTR and Godfather are better, but are not needed to make those films good.

Viper's point is that the UC of BvS was intended to be the TC but as we know now WB got cold feet on the runtime and had it chopped down. The UC for all intents and purposes is Batman v Superman as it was meant to be shown.

Indeed.

Effect

When Lana left the show got better.

Yup. She greatly overstayed her welcome. Not the actresses fault but the it was very clear the writers didn't know what they wanted to do with her and kept including her when it didn't make a damn bit of sense. I think it's season 8 where this is 100% clear if one had doubts before. Season starts off with her no where to be seen. Season is going really well and then when she shows up it takes a nose dive and that last until her small arc is over and she's finally gone and then the show is really good to great from that point on until the show finally ends with a dud here and there.

Seasons 4 to 7 are the worse parts of the series. There is just enough there that keeps or kept you watching though. Looking back thought seasons 1-3 and 8 (majority of it) to 10 are the best parts of the show. Some of the later seasons problems are more budget related then anything else instead of actor, story, etc related if I'm remember correctly.

strafer

Yup. She greatly overstayed her welcome. Not the actresses fault but the it was very clear the writers didn't know what they wanted to do with her and kept including her when it didn't make a damn bit of sense. I think it's season 8 where this is 100% clear if one had doubts before. Season starts off with her no where to be seen. Season is going really well and then when she shows up it takes a nose dive and that last until her small arc is over and she's finally gone and then the show is really good to great from that point on until the show finally ends with a dud here and there.

Seasons 4 to 7 are the worse parts of the series. There is just enough there that keeps or kept you watching though. Looking back thought seasons 1-3 and 8 (majority of it) to 10 are the best parts of the show. Some of the later seasons problems are more budget related then anything else instead of actor, story, etc related if I'm remember correctly.

That farewell scene tho :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk_s_c-CL24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom