• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

IconGrist

They weren't nominated for BvS directly. Razzies doesn't nominate actors by performance. But overall for the year. Irons I think is in particular for Assassin's Creed? His performance was roundly trashed in that.

Affleck was critically lambasted for his performance in The Accountant for example.

Are they not done because Gal was only in 3 movies last year and was considered awful in all of them yet she wasn't nominated.

BadAss2961

It has absolutely nothing to do with DC itself. It is the DCEU that is disliked, not DC in its entirety. There is no anti-DC bias.

Critics and the industry LOVED the Nolan Batman films. If Nolan did a 4th Batman film now I am sure it would go down very positively.
Loved the trilogy, but count me in on the group that prefers where we're headed. Batfleck is as good as it gets on film, and we're diving headfirst into the batverse without any grounded approach compromises.
This is what I think as well. There is no way that most critics will be positive about the DCEU, they will judge every single movie coming out on the basis of the previous ones.

And added to that fact the hate that people have towards the DCEU all over the internet and how it makes you cool and part of the crowd, there is no way that this movie universe can be salvaged.

There are plenty like this, but they're all frauds. Lames can cite them in place of thinking for themselves all they want.

I'm not really worried about the DCEU's reception right now. The material is too good... There's a reason why even in hate, people would rather talk about these films than the hype and forget, rinse and repeat Marvel cycle. Things will eventually turn when success reaches a point where it can't be denied anymore.

LionPride

Banned
Some of yall are getting upset about the Razzies. THE RAZZIES. Take a chill pill

DCEU is basically on the same trajectory of the Michael Bay Tranformers. Makes money but is treated as a joke by critics and many online.

If you like it keep on liking it but don't hold a grudge against those who judge it negatively against the Nolan Batman films in terms of DC content. I doubt the Bay Transformers fans get upset about it anymore.

Blaming it on a anti-DC bias isn't accurate. It was just recently DC movies in the Nolan series were getting tons of praise, even in the middle of the MCU height. It is just the Synder style DCEU films that are disliked.
Yeppers.

guek

Banned
This kind of goes back to something I was talking about earlier with the RT thing, remember?

Hah, maybe a little, but you'll never see me throwing critics as a whole under the bus just because it's convenient. RT usually settle on scores that are understandable, even if you don't agree. 3 out of 4 critics being unable to recommend the TC of BvS shouldn't be shocking even if you love that movie. In the same way, it's understandable why BvS would top the Razzies even if it's definitely not the worst movie of 2016. It's the highest profile movie this year that was panned.

I'd rather try to understand the world and other people than stay in my bubble and reject anything that challenges my own experience.

IconGrist

Hah, maybe a little, but you'll never see me throwing critics as a whole under the bus just because it's convenient. RT usually settle on scores that are understandable, even if you don't agree. 3 out of 4 critics being unable to recommend the TC of BvS shouldn't be shocking even if you love that movie. In the same way, it's understandable why BvS would top the Razzies even if it's definitely not the worst movie of 2016. It's the highest profile movie this year that was panned.

I'd rather try to understand the world and other people than stay in my bubble and reject anything that challenges my own experience.

Well, I meant taking something at surface level but sure, that too. :p

Penguin

Still researching, but seems may be from a mag

C1qpcJgXEAA69BA.jpg

Batman suit looks fucking amazing in the shadow like that. Hated the clearer promo pic but in darker lighting it looks so good

Aquaman looks fantastic too. Can take or leave the other 3. Gal just looks awkward (suit is great tho) and I think the costume designers have proved they can do so much better than that cyborg and Flash design

strafer

I kinda love how Superman is not in any of the pictures.

Makes his return more epic. I dont wanna see him until the trailer or movie.

Ross61

Batman suit looks fucking amazing in the shadow like that. Hated the clearer promo pic but in darker lighting it looks so good

Aquaman looks fantastic too. Can take or leave the other 3. Gal just looks awkward (suit is great tho) and I think the costume designers have proved they can do so much better than that cyborg and Flash design

I don't see how much better Cyborg can get.

Ninjimbo

I'll throw most critics under the bus happily. Because you can tell by their writing and their level of analysis that they're just people who watch a lot of movies and basically have no desire to really look at a film and discuss it analytically. If you look at the reviews for BvS, it's like at 300+ right now and most of them consist of bloggers and people you've never heard of.

I always look at the top critics and follow my favorite people. Somebody like Armond White actually cares to say something about a film that goes beyond "good" or "bad". The same goes for people like Wesley Morris and A.O. Scott. Those people are worth reading and taking their opinions into account. If I want a layman review, I'll just look at the GAF review thread.

So many people misuse and misinterpret the RT. It's annoying.

LionPride

Banned
I'll throw most critics under the bus happily. Because you can tell by their writing and their level of analysis that they're just people who watch a lot of movies and basically have no desire to really look at a film and discuss it analytically. If you look at the reviews for BvS, it's like at 300+ right now and most of them consist of bloggers and people you've never heard of.

I always look at the top critics and follow my favorite people. Somebody like Armond White actually cares to say something about a film that goes beyond "good" or "bad". The same goes for people like Wesley Morris and A.O. Scott. Those people are worth reading and taking their opinions into account. If I want a layman review, I'll just look at the GAF review thread.

Armond White's opinion isn't worth anything really. Not the paper it's printed on, not the keyboard it's typed on, nothing.

Ninjimbo

Armond White's opinion isn't worth anything really. Not the paper it's printed on, not the keyboard it's typed on, nothing.
Why? The guy certainly seems knowledgeable about art and film history. If you read stuff like his review of Fences you can learn about the playwright who wrote the story and where the author might have been coming from at least by looking at the framework of the characters.

I think his reviews are at least worth a read because very few people attempt to dissect the culture and perceptions all these movies are indulging in.

Cyborg is unfortunate in that most of his looks are wack. But making it less polygonal and Nintendo 64 is a start. Articles mentioned he has multiple forms so we'll see. Ray Fisher got so jacked and only a side of his face shows.

Actually, reminds me more of that shield mode in the new Deus Ex. Got me thinking Adam Jensen's cyborg body is very sleek and would be a good jumping off point.

LionPride

Banned
Cyborg is unfortunate in that most of his looks are wack. But making it less polygonal and Nintendo 64 is a start. Articles mentioned he has multiple forms so we'll see. Ray Fisher got so jacked and only a side of his face shows.

Actually, reminds me more of that shield mode in the new Deus Ex. Got me thinking Adam Jensen's cyborg body is very sleek and would be a good jumping off point.
Shoulda went with literally anyone else to fill out their black member quota. Except for John Stewart. Boring ass.

Why? The guy certainly seems knowledgeable about art and film history. If you read stuff like his review of Fences you can learn about the playwright who wrote the story and where the author might have been coming from at least by looking at the framework of the characters.

I think his reviews are at least worth a read because very few people attempt to dissect the culture and perceptions all these movies are indulging in.

He just comes off as either being a contrarian just because he can, or just saying things to make him appear better than he is.

You did mention Wesley though, he's my boy.

guek

Banned

No offense, but I think you're only saying that because they don't reinforce your preexisting opinions. Even if you look at what the industry would consider the best of the best among critics, movies like BvS were not well received. Aggregates like Metacritic that closely curates the source of scores still tend to run in parallel with RT's actual scoring system. This isn't to say critical consensus is infallible, but that doesn't mean they are inherently flawed either. Any time anyone does some actual critique and analysis though, people tend to reject it if it doesn't reinforce their own opinion.

There's a temptation to view opinion as black and white, without nuance, as simply a binary spectrum of good or bad like you're describing. And yes, RT reinforces that pitfall with their RT%, but it's not like the % score is a difficult concept to properly understand as the most generalized of recommendations.

guek

Banned
What about the Ultimate Cut tho?

What about it? They're different enough that a whole new set of reviews would need to be gathered in order to determine a critical consensus. As much as it sucks, the TC is still the version most people saw and the version most people remember. The UC is a completely separate discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom