• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Why is fun bolded every time it's said?

Interesting question. It's that one word I don't like to say when I'm talking about DCEU. I always type in REDACTED for it when I'm talking about it with friends.

But, seriously. The critics mentioned the word 'FUN' close to a billion times in their reviews when they talked about BvS and SS. BvS more so. Everyone's now rolling with how fun JL and the other films are going to be, it's sickening. We don't need fun films. We just need good ones. End.

J_Viper

I'm thinking he means "fun" as in "entertaining".

Ask the casual movie-goer why they didn't like BvS. They won't say it's due to "flawed motivations" or "poor editing", they'll say they didn't like it because it bored them.

That's why SS had much better legs. I think it's a much worse movie, but it does "move" in a way BvS does not.

Odoul

What if the person who said JL was a mess was Snyder? That would be an interesting twist.

Interesting question. It's that one word I don't like to say when I'm talking about DCEU. I always type in REDACTED for it when I'm talking about it with friends.

But, seriously. The critics mentioned the word 'FUN' close to a billion times in their reviews when they talked about BvS and SS. BvS more so. Everyone's now rolling with how fun JL and the other films are going to be, it's sickening. We don't need fun films. We just need good ones. End.

I found myself hating that word a few years ago.

I think it was gaming forums that killed it for me.

LionPride

Banned

Even the critics I trust, who I listen to, who absolutely hate BvS never complained that it was too dark and not fun enough. These very same people liked Man of Steel. Huh, never noticed that.

bryanee

If all this talk about JL being a mess was coming 7 months from now then maybe I'd be more inclined to think maybe things didn't go so well but with the movie being ten months away and not at all finished or cut in any way shape or form that will represent the movie that will hit cinemas excuse me if I don't quite believe it.

Ninjimbo

I'm thinking he means "fun" as in "entertaining".

Ask the casual movie-goer why they didn't like BvS. They won't say it's due to "flawed motivations" or "poor editing", they'll say they didn't like it because it bored them.

That's why SS had much better legs. I think it's a much worse movie, but it does "move" in a way BvS does not.
I must be talking to different people. Because when I talk BvS with other people there are no shortage of opinions. I don't think anyone I've talked to has called it boring.

Some people hate Batman. Some people hate Superman. Others hates how gloomy it is. Others say the story is too confusing. What I can gather is that most people get the movie, they just don't want to see that kind of story onscreen.

When you sit down and think about BvS, it's really just a weird ass movie. It's supposed to be a Hollywood blockbuster but it's all heavy thematic material for the first two hours with like a Batmobile sequence to shake things up. Batman is unlikeable and killing people. The world (part of it anyway) hates Superman. Lex is burning people alive.

Like, who the hell asked for THIS movie? It feels more like an expensive passion project than anything else.

firelogic

I must be talking to different people. Because when I talk BvS with other people there are no shortage of opinions. I don't think anyone I've talked to has called it boring.

Some people hate Batman. Some people hate Superman. Others hates how gloomy it is. Others say the story is too confusing. What I can gather is that most people get the movie, they just don't want to see that kind of story onscreen.

When you sit down and think about BvS, it's really just a weird ass movie. It's supposed to be a Hollywood blockbuster but it's all heavy thematic material for the first two hours with like a Batmobile sequence to shake things up. Batman is unlikeable and killing people. The world (part of it anyway) hates Superman. Lex is burning people alive.

Like, who the hell asked for THIS movie? It feels more like an expensive passion project than anything else.

I asked for exactly that :)

And Batman unlikeable? How could anyone not like Batman? They'd have to be pretty dead inside to not like him...Or criminals.

BadAss2961

It's true that BvS is not a fun movie. It's intentionally bleak and moves at a slow pace for the genre. You also have to see it at least a couple times to understand some things and get the most out of it. I love dour movies like BvS, but a lot of people don't come to superhero movies to see this. The only uplifting moment in the entire thing is the Wonder Woman appearance.

Suicide Squad is a fun movie. It's been judged on some ridiculous scale instead of the dumb romp with fun characters that it is. The average moviegoer doesn't give a shit about "mess" and whatever armchair filmmakers consider to be acceptable editing. They just want to have fun. Squad's legs despite a shitstorm of negative press and fanboy outrage suggests that it delivered the fun. It'll probably dominate home video for awhile now too.

Ninjimbo

I asked for exactly that :)

And Batman unlikeable? How could anyone not like Batman? They'd have to be pretty dead inside to not like him...Or criminals.
Well, I talked to some people who told me they didn't like Batman in the movie at first because they thought he was being an asshole for wanting to kill Superman lol. They grew to like him by the end of course!

But yeah, BvS is unlike anything else in the genre which is why I like it so much. By deconstructing the heroes, it makes their heroism (when you finally see it) much more impactful. That's why I'm looking forward to JL so much because it's kind of what MoS and BvS have been building up to. We're going to see them close to their full glory, or at least Batman and Superman in that way.

LionPride

Banned
It's true that BvS is not a fun movie. It's intentionally bleak and moves at a slow pace for the genre. You also have to see it at least a couple times to understand some things and get the most out of it. I love dour movies like BvS, but a lot of people don't come to superhero movies to see this. The only uplifting moment in the entire thing is the Wonder Woman appearance.

Suicide Squad is a fun movie. It's been judged on some ridiculous scale instead of the dumb romp with fun characters that it is. The average moviegoer doesn't give a shit about "mess" and whatever armchair filmmakers consider to be acceptable editing. They just want to have fun. Squad's legs despite a shitstorm of negative press and fanboy outrage suggests that it delivered the fun. It'll probably dominate home video for awhile now too.

I wish that movie was fun, it was the exact opposite of fun. I felt like my energy was being sucked out while watching that thing

Odoul

Hold up.

This show is making Superman and Wonder Woman an item?

mjgrin.png

That is the most adorable thing ever!

Yager

Banned
Hey guys! Have you heard about this fun little movie that the fun guys at WB are doing? Oh my god, it looks like it will be so much fun! Cast and crew are having a lot of fun with it, fun shooting action scenes, fun with the funny dialogues, fun with the costumes, even fun having breakfast! Holy hell, even Lord Snyder himself is aiming to change his name to Fun Snyder! I tell you, this is going to be so much fun! And don't forget all those fun rumours about how the movie is a mess at this point. Nothing confirmed, but hey, a FUN MESS! By the way, we are changing the name of our Extended Universe; from now on, it will be known as the DCFU: DC Fun Universe. Because you know what? EVERYTHING IS FUCKING FUN!

batman-v-superman-isnt-getting-great-reviews--but-everyone-loves-sad-affleck.jpg

I hope you all are having fun at expecting the movie to be fun!

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
The first official Justice League better blow everyone away. Don't give away the whole fucking movie, but learn to balance action/humor/tone. Keep it under 2 minutes if possible.

Honest and unbiased question.

Is it really that surprising, a movie is a "mess", 10 months before it's release? I wonder how many movies aren't a mess at that time frame. Because in video games, games are a mess until 1-2 months before release. Doesn't mean that applies to movies, just curious.

Bleepey

Some critics insist BVS is bleak as films like Seven, Kids or Requiem for a dream. I personally think they should get a grip.

Cheebo

Banned
n
Honest and unbiased question.

Is it really that surprising, a movie is a "mess", 10 months before it's release? I wonder how many movies aren't a mess at that time frame. Because in video games, games are a mess until 1-2 months before release. Doesn't mean that applies to movies, just curious.

Movie has finished shooting a few months back, by now they typically have an edited together first assembly that is watchable that they typically watch and the studio execs watch to determine the quality of the film to see what sort of rework is needed such as the extent of reshoots and the like.

Suicide Squad went under massive reshoots after the initial assembly edits were disapproved of.

firelogic

I was in a gif mood.

]

God, Superman is such a badass!

Well, I talked to some people who told me they didn't like Batman in the movie at first because they thought he was being an asshole for wanting to kill Superman lol. They grew to like him by the end of course!

But yeah, BvS is unlike anything else in the genre which is why I like it so much. By deconstructing the heroes, it makes their heroism (when you finally see it) much more impactful. That's why I'm looking forward to JL so much because it's kind of what MoS and BvS have been building up to. We're going to see them close to their full glory, or at least Batman and Superman in that way.

I'm kind of bummed out that we won't be seeing asshole Batman again.

I agree with you, especially for Superman. We didn't start out with heroic and perfect Superman and we didn't get a quick origin story where by the end of the movie he was the heroic and perfect Superman everyone expected. Snyder is giving him 3 movies to come into his own and end up being SUPERMAN. I'm glad that WB gave Snyder the leeway to do that instead of cramming his entire character arc into one movie. But I do get why people aren't fans of it. They don't want to wait for the 3rd movie to see their hero at his peak. I love the approach though.

Also, people say that Superman was pushed to the wayside in favour of Batman but I don't quite agree. MoS (obviously) and BvS are very Superman-centric and I'd imagine so will JL. No other character is getting the kind of development that Superman has gotten and will presumably get.

Ross61

But it has happened countless times on many, many, many big blockbuster films...

I mean the Suicide Squad leaks that it was a mess ended up pretty accurate, no?

I had heard rumors ranging from it was messed up to it being the best reviewed DC film to date. So you have to excuse my skepticism.

IconGrist

Suicide Squad's rumors weren't so much that it was a mess but that it was as grim as BvS. Then Ayer said reshoots were for action scenes but it turned out it was to add some humor and retool the last act. Then a lot of Leto's work was cut.

guek

Banned
Why would studio execs leak stuff, especially when it's a "mess"?
It's likely not a deliberate "leak" like you're thinking. At this point in post production, they're likely taking all the footage they shot and trying to assemble a working cut. It's not at all unheard of for this to be a difficult stage as they see for the first time if what they shot actually coalesces into a working film. So when there are murmurs of it being a "mess" and that producers don't know what to do with it, that likely means they're having difficulty editing a workable draft and deciding what needs to be done in reshoots or if reshoots are necessary at all.

It doesn't mean things might not fall into place. Plenty of movies have had difficulty in this stage of production and turn out great movies. That's not to say there's not some reason for concern though because this is a point where studio and director vision can clash to have a major impact on the film, and it's highly likely that producers are going to interfere if they think such a high profile project isn't coming together. Sucker Punch for example, while not nearly as high profile, languished during this stage of editing and reportedly had multiple cuts that were heavily focus tested and then re-edited again and again. This is also the point when they likely had multiple cuts of Suicide Squad and weren't sure what to do because the production was so rushed, the raw footage they shot was tough to piece together into a good movie. That's likely why the reshoots got so much buzz, because the mentality was that they needed to fix a film that was fundamentally broken. The concern should be that they'll fail like they did with Suicide Squad, but that failure isn't guaranteed. It's just that rumbling such as this are unsettling but might end up being unwarranted concern. That doesn't mean the concerns of JL being a "mess" are unfounded though.

Ninjimbo

Just to add to what guek said, last year we had another high profile movie being called a mess months before release and it ended up reviewing well: Rogue One. The films are incomplete at this stage so it's probably normal for the people involved to be a little nervous about what they're working on. They'll call it a mess, a disaster, but they'll continue working on it until it's time to release it. Just hope that they get it right like Mad Max did.

WhiteWolf

I like how people keep posting/mentioning the RT score for Live By Night in OT without bothering to post the RT score or awards Ben's other films have received.

Just to add to what guek said, last year we had another high profile movie being called a mess months before release and it ended up reviewing well: Rogue One. The films are incomplete at this stage so it's probably normal for the people involved to be a little nervous about what they're working on. They'll call it a mess, a disaster, but they'll continue working on it until it's time to release it. Just hope that they get it right like Mad Max did.

Was going to mention this as well. Best to just wait for the product to release and judge for ourselves..

I like how people keep posting/mentioning the RT score for Live By Night in OT without bothering to post the RT score or awards Ben's other films have received.

Probably best to just ignore it.

IconGrist

That's something that happens a lot by people in general. You're only as good as the last thing you did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom