• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Rebirth |OT| It's not a reboot, and it always was [SPOILERS for Rebirth #1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

aly

Nightwing has half the team continuing on doesn't it ?

Seely is still there. But it and Birds of Prey are still the big rebirth titles to worry about for me. I really enjoyed Nu Helena and it sucks that she and Dick didn't get to work together more. I don't want old annoying aggressive Helena and mediocre Nightwing back.

Seely is still there. But it and Birds of Prey are still the big rebirth titles to worry about for me. I really enjoyed Nu Helena and it sucks that she and Dick didn't get to work together more. I don't want old annoying aggressive Helena and mediocre Nightwing back.

Looks like you're going to get Nightwing is more awesome than Batman instead? At least judging by the first arc title.

And Helena is at least in a fundamentally different position here. She's got far more knowledge of the hero / villain set than she did starting out post-Crisis. Or even pre-Birds. Probably way better training as well. So she's less likely to be aggressive to cover for feeling excluded or looked down on.

Polarburr

Hoping someone can help me with this.

Anyone know where I can find an image of the current bat logo? Just the logo. Gonna get a tattoo of it next week. Haha

images

Looks like you're going to get Nightwing is more awesome than Batman instead? At least judging by the first arc title.

And Helena is at least in a fundamentally different position here. She's got far more knowledge of the hero / villain set than she did starting out post-Crisis. Or even pre-Birds. Probably way better training as well. So she's less likely to be aggressive to cover for feeling excluded or looked down on.

Better than Batman is referring to Nightwing's new mentor though. I lost a lot of hype for the book when I read the solicitations. I thought it was going to be Nightwing upgrading himself.

Hoping someone can help me with this.

Anyone know where I can find an image of the current bat logo? Just the logo. Gonna get a tattoo of it next week. Haha

images

This seems to be the one DC is using on t-shirts and whatnot. Personally, I think it looks a little bit thinner than how it's drawn in the comics, but eh.

JUN162189.jpg

Never expected Superman and Green Arrow to have better artists than Bats. Finch ranges from average to ass. That preview was hard to look at.

Nah, it was fine. Nothing exemplary like Capullo, but solid all the way through.

Do we know who's gonna be replacing him? I assume that'll happen soon.

(btw, Ross, your second link the same as your first).

Nah, it was fine. Nothing exemplary like Capullo, but solid all the way through.

I'm actually confused if its supposed to look like Batman is 1-handedly lifting and then slamming Grundy (which should probably be beyond Batman's physical strength) or if it's supposed to be a momentum-redirection move.

Doesn't hurt that DC is doing this little thing called 100% RETURNABILITY on these books.

Rich gets a handful of stores to report actual sell through numbers so returnability wouldn't have any impact. Also, every Rebirth issue has sold out at the retail level so there will be very few comics returned.

After the first arc is an Ivan Reis drawn one-shot, then the monsters cross-over story. Mikel Janin is supposed to draw the second full arc.

Rich gets a handful of stores to report actual sell through numbers so returnability wouldn't have any impact. Also, every Rebirth issue has sold out at the retail level so there will be very few comics returned.
I was trying to point out returnability as a positive, sorry if that didn't come across. Now that Rebirth has proven a success, stores can safely advance reorder shit loads of copies of future Rebirth titles without any risk.

And FWIW, what you said about Rich getting stores to report sell through numbers has nothing do with that list. Those statistics are straight from Diamond Comic Distributors, and they're regarding advanced reorders for the week of 06/20/2016-06/26/2016. So items that haven't actually shipped yet. It would be nice if Bleeding Cool actually reported where they got their numbers from.

I'm actually confused if its supposed to look like Batman is 1-handedly lifting and then slamming Grundy (which should probably be beyond Batman's physical strength) or if it's supposed to be a momentum-redirection move.

It is kinda static, but still perfectly serviceable imo.

And it's definitely the latter.

After the first arc is an Ivan Reis drawn one-shot, then the monsters cross-over story. Mikel Janin is supposed to draw the second full arc.

Wow, those are both a pretty significant step up. Good shit.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
AQUAMAN #2
BATMAN #2
GREEN ARROW #2
GREEN LANTERNS #2
JUSTICE LEAGUE: REBIRTH #1
SUPERMAN #2

All out this week

Hypeee

It is kinda static, but still perfectly serviceable imo.

And it's definitely the latter.

Wow, those are both a pretty significant step up. Good shit.

Actually, that was the only problem I've had with the Batman art at all so far. I like it otherwise but I have a wide tolerance for art styles as long as they aren't absurdly disconnected from the tone of the piece (and that's not some kind of deliberate meta commentary).

Wait. They're changing artists at the end of every arc??

They probably do need to do some kind of rotation for the Bi-Monthlies, it'd be pretty hard for an artist to keep up a comic every 2 weeks indefinitely. That's a heavier schedule than most Web Comics are on (20 pages every 14 days, whereas most webcomics are between 1/3rd and 1 comic page a day at most (many end up only doing a comic page a week since they only update 3 times a week).

Polarburr

They probably do need to do some kind of rotation for the Bi-Monthlies, it'd be pretty hard for an artist to keep up a comic every 2 weeks indefinitely. That's a heavier schedule than most Web Comics are on (20 pages every 14 days, whereas most webcomics are between 1/3rd and 1 comic page a day at most (many end up only doing a comic page a week since they only update 3 times a week).

Yeah, there is no way a single artist could keep up with the schedule of a double shipping book.

Oh right. It's bi-monthlies now. Will the 2 artist be permanent? Janin and Finch? Or will there be one constant artist? Kinda liked what we got with Finch.

I was trying to point out returnability as a positive, sorry if that didn't come across. Now that Rebirth has proven a success, stores can safely advance reorder shit loads of copies of future Rebirth titles without any risk.
Oh, sorry. Sometimes my DC fandom makes me overly sensitive online. I thought y'all talking about the instore sales charts that he posts over the weekend.

Oh right. It's bi-monthlies now. Will the 2 artist be permanent? Janin and Finch? Or will there be one constant artist? Kinda liked what we got with Finch.

For a book as high profile as Batman, DC will do everything they can to keep Finch and Janin as the 'main' artists. Something like Deathstroke will probably have more rotation in artists as people get pulled on to different projects.

Does anyone know what's DC's time frame for putting out collection editions of story arcs? Be it trade paperback, hardcovers, or giant collections? Is it still like half a year after the arc ends? So you pretty much end up being a year behind?

Thanks.

I'm curious to know this too. I would hope/think that at least the june titles would be collected in time for christmas, I would think trade sales atleast get a bump then. I still have yet to read super league and that isn't solicited iirc.

Not so much interested in relativeness of sales between companies, but I hope Rebirth can keep it up unlike the new 52 & SW which lost a lot of steam after a few months.

edit: nvm looks like it was solicited!

I'm really hoping the rumors come true and Hickman is on the Legion book. He loves the franchise and it would be a perfect corner of the DCU where he could do as he wishes with a longform storyline, which is where the Legion of Super-Heroes shines brightest.

Legion_of_Super-Heroes.png

Ross61

So just to make things clear: New 52 universe is the Post-Crisis Universe with 10 years stolen, plus being merged with Wildstorm and Vertigo? And the memories that Wally is giving out are the memories that were lost which
Dr.Manhattan
"erased"?

DeathyBoy

Banned
I'm really hoping the rumors come true and Hickman is on the Legion book. He loves the franchise and it would be a perfect corner of the DCU where he could do as he wishes with a longform storyline, which is where the Legion of Super-Heroes shines brightest.

Same.

His Brainiac-5 alone... Hickman did a tremendous job writing smart characters in Fantastic Four/FF/New Avengers. Him writing Brainiac-5 would be some GOAT level fun.

So just to make things clear: New 52 universe is the Post-Crisis Universe with 10 years stolen, plus being merged with Wildstorm and Vertigo? And the memories that Wally is giving out are the memories that were lost which
Dr.Manhattan
"erased"?

It is not that simple, and no one is addressing it directly. It cannot be just post-crisis universe minus 10 years. Things happened differently. A new Kid Flash, a different original Teen Titans, totally different New Titans, Cyborg is still a JL founder (and the JL origin is tied to Darkseid). That is not post-crisis universe.

My take is that it is a new timeline post Flashpoint, but that timeline was messed up by Manhattan, compressing the events which out be more similar to post-crisis if that 10 years wasn't stolen. I.e. people remenbers Wally now, but are their memories the same as Wally have?

Dr.Manhattan
"erased"?

That's how it looks so far. The storyline explanation is that Pandora merged in the WS and Vertigo universes to 'strengthen' the DCU after
Manhattan
took that time away.

jph139

Dr.Manhattan
"erased"?

My understanding is that the universe was going to "reboot" anyways after Flashpoint, but it turned out shitty because of Manhattan dicking around.

So it'd have been a new universe regardless, and even if he wasn't involved the Post-Crisis universe was gone.

Rooster12

This is where all the cosmic goodies are.

I just want to see Absolute Zero Polar Boy again, and all the classic Legion villains.

Still not sure how I feel about this whole
"Emiko and Shado have always been secretly eeeeeevilllll and working for these new baddies"
thing tbh.

Same.

His Brainiac-5 alone... Hickman did a tremendous job writing smart characters in Fantastic Four/FF/New Avengers. Him writing Brainiac-5 would be some GOAT level fun.

Ehhhhh

The way he wrote Reed Richards was so entirely insufferable I ended up dropping the book. Just couldn't read it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom