• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Rebirth |OT| It's not a reboot, and it always was [SPOILERS for Rebirth #1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

jph139

Man, I knew the art on Green Arrow would be too good to last, but I was hoping he'd finish out the first story arc at least. Hopefully his replacement is decent enough.

VanWinkle

Man, I knew the art on Green Arrow would be too good to last, but I was hoping he'd finish out the first story arc at least. Hopefully his replacement is decent enough.

Bro, Juan Ferreyra is a beast. Very different style but still incredible.

ClfAclAWMAAuaC2.jpg:large
Ck24ab-WgAQLfW1.jpg:large

Cj_0RxjVAAAsghE.jpg:large

VanWinkle

Percy lucked out getting two incredible artists on GA. Not everyone can say they do. Even King Batman has Finch who is just "good".

tim1138

Percy lucked out getting two incredible artists on GA. Not everyone can say they do. Even King Batman has Finch who is just "good".

And Stephen Byrne (who is drawing the September issues) isn't exactly a slouch either. GA will stay an incredible looking book.

They'll be alternating; most of the Rebirth books are switching artists regularly to avoid burnout.

Ah, guess it just seemed like an odd number to trade out on. Going back and forth for 3 issues seems like an odd in between of what would be best. Either stay on for a whole arc or every chapter seems like the better move.

Blader

Aquaman #1 was so-so, maybe a little better than the Rebirth special but not much more.

Flash #1 was disappointing, thought it was a notable drop off from Rebirth. I'll give both of these books a couple more issues before dropping them though.

Wonder Woman #1 was a huge improvement, on the other hand. I thought the Rebirth special was really phoned in, and felt like something Rucka wrote on auto-pilot without even reading it back to himself (all of those monologues about the truth felt like something I would write if I were buzzed and tuned out of what I was actually saying :lol). I'm not sure I want this book to be so much about Diana investigating her changing continuity, but I like it so far.

So leading up to rebirth I have JL DarkSeid War. What other trades are a pre requisite to rebirth?

I think its primarily Justice League and Super League (Superman cross over trade, not out yet, dunno when) that lead into Rebirth, but I read Rebirth not having read those two and there was only one or two pages that linked up directly with them.

Is Shazam's departure covered in darkseid war or not at all?

MisterHero

finally got my #1s... definitely gonna try following all the Supes books

poor Jon learning lessons about his powers.
Goldie apparently isn't Streaky the Supercat ;_;

Aside from the really suss faces that Sharp drew for Wonder Woman the art on the issue was fantastic. I quite enjoyed it overall. I get the feeling this is more meant for trade-reading though. The methodical pace of it seems to suggest so.

Flash was dope on the writing-side of things. And it would definitely succeed in pulling in fans of the show too if they give it a shot. The art was...eh. Close-ups are cool I like the style of it but any faces in the background look hilarious. 6 year olds could do better than that.

I don't mind the art overall though but both issues were inconsistent in that regard. Wonder Woman with the faces and Flash with everything that wasn't a close-up lol.

The Kerschl cover for Flash really makes me want a small run of issues to look like that, Kerschl always draws stuff that looks straight up ready for a TV animated series.

Aside from the really suss faces that Sharp drew for Wonder Woman the art on the issue was fantastic. I quite enjoyed it overall. I get the feeling this is more meant for trade-reading though. The methodical pace of it seems to suggest so.

Flash was dope on the writing-side of things. And it would definitely succeed in pulling in fans of the show too if they give it a shot. The art was...eh. Close-ups are cool I like the style of it but any faces in the background look hilarious. 6 year olds could do better than that.

I don't mind the art overall though but both issues were inconsistent in that regard. Wonder Woman with the faces and Flash with everything that wasn't a close-up lol.

The Kerschl cover for Flash really makes me want a small run of issues to look like that, Kerschl always draws stuff that looks straight up ready for a TV animated series.

You mean Flash issues, right? Because he drew Gotham Academy, which is dope.

Bro, Juan Ferreyra is a beast. Very different style but still incredible.

Ck24ab-WgAQLfW1.jpg:large

Cj_0RxjVAAAsghE.jpg:large

Looks great. I was pleasantly surprised by Green Arrow. I've enjoyed all the DC Rebirth books I've read so far: Action Comics, Detective Comics, Superman, Batman, The Flash, Titans, Green Arrow, and Green Lanterns.

Ross61

Looks great. I was pleasantly surprised by Green Arrow. I've enjoyed all the DC Rebirth books I've read so far: Action Comics, Detective Comics, Superman, Batman, The Flash, Titans, Green Arrow, and Green Lanterns.
Get on Aquaman while you can. I can just feel it's going to be epic. What Dan Abnett has big plans for this title. Plus he's going to take on John's Rise Of The Seven Seas.

Ashby

Do we know for sure if this is the Post-Crisis Wally or a New 52 Wally that was forgotten? A lot of stuff in Rebirth pointed to the former (like explicitly mentioning Flashpoint to Barry) but then there's the fact that he acts like his fellow Titans who have forgotten him are his Titans and not a different universe's versions. Plus, there's the fact that he hasn't once brought up his kids which makes me lean towards thinking this is a version of Wally that never had the twins.

The Titans #1 variant cover is gorgeous. WHY BRET BOOTH WHY

Nice. Shame with those Booth interiors though.

Do we know for sure if this is the Post-Crisis Wally or a New 52 Wally that was forgotten? A lot of stuff in Rebirth pointed to the former (like explicitly mentioning Flashpoint to Barry) but then there's the fact that he acts like his fellow Titans who have forgotten him are his Titans and not a different universe's versions. Plus, there's the fact that he hasn't once brought up his kids which makes me lean towards thinking this is a version of Wally that never had the twins.

Seems to be post-Crisis Wally. The idea brought forth in Rebirth is these are the post-Crisis versions of the characters with bits of their history removed. The lack of twins is because they're probably never going to be mentioned again. Only Abnett knows if Wally is going to interact with Linda again, since he has bigger fish to fry.

Wally remembers being married to Linda, so it's Post-Crisis for sure.

I think he might not have mentioned the twins because he said things are getting harder to remember when he entered the new reality.

Ross61

You know, these past few issues of Green Arrow have turned around my opinion of Ben Percy. He's actually a solid writer now that he's been given a sense of direction. Related, has anyone read his Detective Comics issues? I heard he was good on that too.

Effect

Does anyone know what's DC's time frame for putting out collection editions of story arcs? Be it trade paperback, hardcovers, or giant collections? Is it still like half a year after the arc ends? So you pretty much end up being a year behind?

Thanks.

VanWinkle

You know, these past few issues of Green Arrow have turned around my opinion of Ben Percy. He's actually a solid writer now that he's been given a sense of direction. Related, has anyone read his Detective Comics issues? I heard he was good on that too.

Dude those two Detective issues he did were AWESOME! Loved the art, too.

Does anyone know what's DC's time frame for putting out collection editions of story arcs? Be it trade paperback, hardcovers, or giant collections? Is it still like half a year after the arc ends? So you pretty much end up being a year behind?

Thanks.

Robin War was 3 and a half months from the last issue to Trade. But it was only spread over 2 months.

Red Hood / Arsenal was 7 months from last issue to Trade , and had 6 issues.

So looks like a year to wait initially then a perpetual 6 month lag for standard trades and ~ 3 months from last issue for major events.

Seems to be post-Crisis Wally. The idea brought forth in Rebirth is these are the post-Crisis versions of the characters with bits of their history removed. The lack of twins is because they're probably never going to be mentioned again. Only Abnett knows if Wally is going to interact with Linda again, since he has bigger fish to fry.

That's how I see it too.

VanWinkle

Robin War was 3 and a half months from the last issue to Trade. But it was only spread over 2 months.

Red Hood / Arsenal was 7 months from last issue to Trade , and had 6 issues.

So looks like a year to wait initially then a perpetual 6 month lag for standard trades and ~ 3 months from last issue for major events.

It's hard to pinpoint, really. I mean, Omega Men ended at the end of may, and the trade comes out at the end of August. That's three months. But it seems like it generally takes longer. Looking at a couple other more recent ones, Martian Manhunter took a little under three and a half months from last issue in the trade to the release of the trade. Yet the second/last volume comes a ridiculous seven months after the release of the final issue. Cyborg #6 to the release of Cyborg volume 1 (#1-6) was three months. The second/last volume comes four months after the release of the final issue. And Red Hood / Arsenal #6 released November 11, while the trade came out April 5th on Amazon, so that's less than five months.

The main takeaway is that it's impossible to know with DC.

It's hard to pinpoint, really. I mean, Omega Men ended at the end of may, and the trade comes out at the end of August. That's three months. But it seems like it generally takes longer. Looking at a couple other more recent ones, Martian Manhunter took a little under three and a half months from last issue in the trade to the release of the trade. Yet the second/last volume comes a ridiculous seven months after the release of the final issue. Cyborg #6 to the release of Cyborg volume 1 (#1-6) was three months. The second/last volume comes four months after the release of the final issue. And Red Hood / Arsenal #6 released November 11, while the trade came out April 5th on Amazon, so that's less than five months.

The main takeaway is that it's impossible to know with DC.

Was Omega Men an ongoing or a maxiseries ?

picked up every single issue of rebirth and the #1s today.
was really pleased with Flash, Superman and Green Arrow. Aquaman intrigues me I follow it too.
I'm just going to buy every book really. Dc has really knocked it out of the park, it's amazing. everything old is new again but I guess this is one time where I agree with the fans that bringing back the old works. I couldnt be happier as a DC fan.

Ashby

picked up every single issue of rebirth and the #1s today.
was really pleased with Flash, Superman and Green Arrow. Aquaman intrigues me I follow it too.
I'm just going to buy every book really. Dc has really knocked it out of the park, it's amazing. everything old is new again but I guess this is one time where I agree with the fans that bringing back the old works. I couldnt be happier as a DC fan.

Post-Secret Wars and the start of Rebirth was a total reversal point for my comic book buying habits. Marvel was killing it leading into SW but coming out of it has been a real big decline whereas I hadn't bought any DC books (except Snyder's Batman) since the advent of the New 52 but now my pull list is entirely DC except Civil War II. Shit is crazy.

MartyStu

This reminds me: has Midnighter run into Batman yet? I would actually like an incident between the two that does not end in Batman getting curb-stomped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom