• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT| The next legend is YOU!

njean777

Quick question how is the ps3 performance and how is it on a gamepad? Also I know people will get annoyed but how is it compared to WOW? And what is the monthly fee after the first month ? I know a lot of questions but I have seen bad reviews but a lot of people on gaf and my friends list seem to enjoy this game and I was maybe gonna pick it up.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
njean777 said:
Quick question how is the ps3 performance and how is it on a gamepad? Also I know people will get annoyed but how is it compared to WOW? And what is the monthly fee after the first month ? I know a lot of questions but I have seen bad reviews but a lot of people on gaf and my friends list seem to enjoy this game and I was maybe gonna pick it up.
PS3 performance is okay, nothing amazing. There's pop in when traveling through zones, UI lag when you bring up the menus, and a bunch of other small technical bugs that will hopefully get patched in the coming months. If your PC can run it, get the PC version; if your PC can't run it or most of your friends are playing the PS3 version and you don't mind some small technical bugs, get the PS3 version.

Gamepad support is perfect and the game works really well with it.

Never played WoW, but everyone here who has has said it plays nothing like it. It sort of plays like an MMO version of X-Men Legends/Marvel Ultimate Alliance and Crackdown. Don't go into this thinking it'll play like a PC RPG, the game is an Action RPG.

US Subscription Packages:
1 Month - $14.99
3 Month - $41.99
6 Month - $77.99
12 Month - $134.99
Lifetime Subscription - $199.99 (Available on PC only)

Europe/PAL Subscription Packages:
1 Month - €12.99
3 Month - €34.99
6 Month - €64.99
12 Month - €124.99 (Available on PC only)
Lifetime Subscription - €179.99 (Available on PC only)

TheExodu5

Banned
Remade a new character...wasn't quite feeling my Ice tank.

Selkia, Sorcery w/ dual pistols:

selkia.jpg

eznark

Banned
The way it handles extended afk on the ps3 really, really sucks. Having to quit the game to reload totally blows.

Lots of minor niggles that will hopefully be patched and atrocious at explaining anything are problems. Everything else is really cool. I have never read a comic in my life so I probably shouldn't have started with wonder woman. Still enjoying it though. Wish the iPad app for DC had Booster Gold, dude seems funny.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
njean777 said:

I think the game feels pretty good on the gamepad... but not so much on PS3. It's super framey. The menu lag cannot be overstated.

And despite what a lot of people are saying... it feels more like an MMO than a real action game. This game is better than most MMO's in that regard, but it still feels like an MMO.

This is just my opinion... full disclosure... I have one lvl 8 character and I'm already finding the game a little boring. Probably won't re-up the sub after the first month. And again in the spirit of full disclosure, I'm not really a fan of MMO's to being with. This looked neat though. And it kind of is... but not $14 a month neat.

<--- coming from someone who typically spends that much a week on weird PSN purchases.

As a gaming experiment... just not really feeling this one.

Where do you get bounties for heroes in Gotham? I see announcements that one side or the other has claimed more, but I can't find it anywhere. In Metropolis its easy to find bounties for hero players.

Killthee

Not sure if this is actually true, but it looks like we might get some info about the Feb. content update this Tuesday.

GameOverGreggy said:
DarkOne said:
Since the end of the month is closing in... I was just wondering if SOE are going to stay true to their word about monthly updates any new info ?
And does any of you guys know if the monthly updates will contain major content or just some new gear etc.
Hey--

Read IGN.com on Tuesday for the answer to this...

Greg

Source.

Wonder if they will open up more of the cities. They got large parts of the cities under the braniac shield domes, wonder if they will remove those eventually and add content to the cities over time. Just seems odd that they actually modeled and made all these landmarks as well without using any of space for anything other than to have people go "oh hey look, it's that place from the comic!"

Wallach

Downloading now. I'm excited to play this again.

I just can't decide if I want to keep my same set of powers from beta. I was Sorcery/Hand Blaster/Flight, and it was pretty fun but part of me wants to switch to Superspeed instead of Flight. I'll have to play around a bit with it when I get done.

Killthee

BattleMonkey said:
Where do you get bounties for heroes in Gotham? I see announcements that one side or the other has claimed more, but I can't find it anywhere. In Metropolis its easy to find bounties for hero players.
I think it's bugged, it should be outside but for some reason it's not appearing for some people (http://goo.gl/ZzH7G // http://goo.gl/f235E).

Killthee

BattleMonkey said:
Yea I've been going around to the safehouses in Gotham and going all around them and there is nothing outside on any of them.
Same thing has happened to me. This past week I've only managed to see it one time and it quickly disappeared because the building texture loaded on top of it soon after. I'm guessing either the location of the poster is too close to the building and that's screwing up its visibility or there's some character bug that makes it disappear for certain characters.

Shurs

Picked up the PS3 version today from Kmart, where it was on sale for $45.

I made a hero on The Killing Joke server named Everyman.

Why aren't people playing PVP?

This seems like the perfect game for that kind of experience.

I'd be interested if there is a GAF Clan on the server.

Varna

Is your clothing suppose to get torn up after a fight. Been playing this game a long while and this is the first time I've ever seen it. Could be just a graphic glitch... pretty awesome one at that though.
MPYR0148_DESIGNDATA-PC-30-1847530.jpg

Shurs said:

A lot of people enjoy the pvp servers over the pve, I got a level 30 hero on The Killing Joke, ill add you tomorrow.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
There is a bug where sometimes if you kill the boss of a duo or hard alert you will not be awarded with marks of triumph. This has been driving me nuts for a couple of weeks now but today was ridiculous. Out of 4 duos and 4 alerts I got screwed out of 7/26 marks of triumph...and like I said, that's just today. I could have had a full set of tier 1 by now.

U2NUMB

Just picked up the game... put it in and it updated.. now I am looking at a screen that says

Your Playstation network account is not entitled to play this game.

Below that is an X button that says Redeem Codes

No matter how many times I hit X nothing happens.. ive restarted the game a few times.. it just never goes to the screen to input the code I got with the game...

Anyone have this happen? Help

Edit: Ok entered the info on the regular dash and it worked.. very odd they give you the belief that you can do it in game but it does not seem to work.

Killthee

U2NUMB said:
Just picked up the game... put it in and it updated.. now I am looking at a screen that says

Your Playstation network account is not entitled to play this game.

Below that is an X button that says Redeem Codes

No matter how many times I hit X nothing happens.. ive restarted the game a few times.. it just never goes to the screen to input the code I got with the game...

Anyone have this happen? Help
Go here -> log in with the account you plan to play with -> Redeem PlayStation®Network Card or Promotion Code

or

Go to the PS Store on your PS3 and click the redeem code button on the top right.

Varna said:
Is your clothing suppose to get torn up after a fight. Been playing this game a long while and this is the first time I've ever seen it. Could be just a graphic glitch... pretty awesome one at that though.

I've had the occasional glitch where removing styles and putting them back on again causes clipping with the character model, but that was mainly around the head and face. Never seen it on the chest before.

Shurs said:

People are doing pvp all the time on Killing Joke. Almost every time I log I get into several fights even if I don't want too. There are places that are hot beds of pvp too because both sides share the questing area so theres constant battles going on.

Shurs

BattleMonkey said:
People are doing pvp all the time on Killing Joke. Almost every time I log I get into several fights even if I don't want too. There are places that are hot beds of pvp too because both sides share the questing area so theres constant battles going on.

I was actually talking about all the GAF members on the PVE server.

Dreohboy

ToyMachine228 said:
Just saw IGN's review gave DCUO a 7.0. What are the other reviews like? I know reviews are difficult for MMO's, but I'm interested to see what the scores are like anyway.

It really depends on what you're looking for in a game. You're going to find a lot of love/hate when it comes to DCUO. PC Gamer game the game and 88%, while the Gamespy preview made it seem like the guys hated it. Playstation Universe was around a 7 as well.

Do you like third person action games played with a controller? Do you like comic characters?

If you answered yes to both those questions then you're probably going to get your value out of DC Universe.

I love the game. Hate the DC comic universe, but love playing my character in such a well crafted virtual world.

Things I don't like...

1) no depth to the gameplay beyond combat (no crafting, alter egos)
2) The keyboard chat system SUCKS compared to other mmos
3) It's DC
4) body types are too similar between heroes

All of those things bug me a lot. But i'm still going to shell out another $15 at the end of the month because I think all for of the things I mentioned can be addressed with time...and money.

IMHO this and NBA 2k11 are the most fun I've had gaming on my PC in years.

I've put in at least 40 hours since launch.

Warbladefinalsm.jpg

Varna

lastplayed said:
I've had the occasional glitch where removing styles and putting them back on again causes clipping with the character model, but that was mainly around the head and face. Never seen it on the chest before.

Yeah. It's a glitch. Went away as soon as I entered a police station.

Would make a pretty neat feature. I had a major slug out with another player and after a few minutes I had to retreat into a mini-instance.

Killthee

Shurs said:
I was actually talking about all the GAF members on the PVE server.
My guess is not having to worry about ganking is the major reason people are choosing PvE over PvP. Sucks for them cause PvP is awesome!

I'm more surprised by the hero to villain ratio.

20110131-xgg6itbptjf3tpmjf9qu6a6tc5.jpg

WTF people? It's time to join the dark side and experience the awesomeness of Circe/Michelle Forbes.

Nightz

Anyone in the Redemption GAF league available to send my character an invite? I rolled a new character this morning named Jaxxx.

Plan on starting my villian on killing joke sometime this week if I have time.

If I decide not to renew my subscription for the next month will my character still be available later on when if I decide to come back. Still planning on paying for 3 months or so but would still like to know.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
You can still get some decent if not particularly ad hoc PVP action in Ring War and Arena.

The only problems:
-Does anyone really know how Ring War works top-to-bottom? It's a mess and that's why so few people play it despite the constant notifications.
-Arena I really enjoy with my character. I've never lost a 1v1 fight even though I don't have any of the tiered armor. But I regularly get 3v1 and 4v1 ganked b/c I'm guessing the villains just have more idea what they're doing and the heroes I'm paired up with half of them are doing nothing of use. Even if you don't know how to play just go towards a red arrow and fight! I see people with like 2000 damage out smh.

Just putting this out there. Any chance I could convince my fellow Redemption players to reroll on The Killing Joke? We could remake GAF United, and there is also a GAF villains legion going strong there too.

I will miss the World PVP and I'd love to have all my GAFFERS in one little world. it feels so odd to just fly past the bad guys on Redemption.

Any takers?

Killthee

Outtrigger888 said:
Plan on starting my villian on killing joke sometime this week if I have time.

If I decide not to renew my subscription for the next month will my character still be available later on when if I decide to come back. Still planning on paying for 3 months or so but would still like to know.
No guarantees is the official response for the PC version. Couldn't find anything PS3 specific but I imagine the same applies to the PS3 version.

Will I lose my characters if I cancel my account?

Canceling your account does not affect your characters immediately, only your billing information. Though we generally do not delete characters on closed accounts, we cannot guarantee the integrity of characters after an account closes. Please keep in mind that you will need to use the same Station Name and Password that you used before you canceled your subscription to the game when you choose to log in again.

krypt0nian said:
Just putting this out there. Any chance I could convince my fellow Redemption players to reroll on The Killing Joke? We could remake GAF United, and there is also a GAF villains legion going strong there too.

I will miss the World PVP and I'd love to have all my GAFFERS in one little world. it feels so odd to just fly past the bad guys on Redemption.

Any takers?
Yes. Yes. Yes.

Been waiting since day 1 for this and just in case it did happen I reserved my Redemption hero character name in KJ. I'll probably play more with my hero character if the migration occurs.

Ready when you guys are : )

eznark

Banned
krypt0nian said:

Any takers?
I'll roll a new dude. Plenty new Packers players.

krypt0nian said:

Any takers?

Im already on killing joke, would love if you guys moved over and got a hero league going

krypt0nian said:

Any takers?

my main is already on jk, but ill be willing to start fresh again when this happens

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Is there more teamwork going on in PvP servers? I don't have a problem rerolling but between the beta and the retail, I've gotten real bored playing solo.

TheExodu5

Banned
Chamber said:
Is there more teamwork going on in PvP servers? I don't have a problem rerolling but between the beta and the retail, I've gotten real bored playing solo.

Not really.

I blame the piss poor keyboard chatting. I mean, how are people who haven't played MMOs before supposed to know you need to do /g or /p to group chat?

I invited someone to my party earlier and he was actually helpful, but he had no clue how to communicate.

Your best bet is to play with friends, or see if there are any leagues or people out there that will play with ventrilo/teamspeak/mumble.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
TheExodu5 said:
Not really.

I blame the piss poor keyboard chatting. I mean, how are people who haven't played MMOs before supposed to know you need to do /g or /p to group chat?

I invited someone to my party earlier and he was actually helpful, but he had no clue how to communicate.

Your best bet is to play with friends, or see if there are any leagues or people out there that will play with ventrilo/teamspeak/mumble.
Yeah it's crazy in so many places that the game is actually really simple and pretty decently designed imo (social aside; that just plain sucks) and yet they often give you absolutely zero clue as to what's there and how to use what's there. It's tough enough to communicate on PC; I can't even imagine what the PS3 people are going through communication-wise. As I said before it would be cool if there were more gaffers playing the PC version as that would solve some of those problems but oh well I actually find that in general a lot of the randoms you get paired up with are pretty good.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
TheExodu5 said:
Not really.

Yeah, I suppose. I randomly got a group invite the other day to do a bunch of missions in Metropolis. It must have spoiled me because I'm bored out of my mind playing solo now.

theta11

ChronicleX said:
Well the key is to make sure everyone stops all dps on the boss second shield goes down (duh), and have the maintank kite the boss around the room with his ranged attack when this happens. Makesure the add with the Mark on its head is the DPS target as that is the one that will drop the bomb. The main problem with the boss is keeping the maintank alive and the adds off him. You need to be quick too as the boss gets stronger as time goes on and will start chaining 3K damage attacks towards the end.

The second boss is alot easier if you know how to "Not stand in the fire", the real kicker is the 3rd boss. If the first boss is causing you pain, wait till you see the 3rd.

Finally beat the 1st boss and the 2nd, The second was terrible cause the tanks and dps died to the sonic wave attack cause I guess their roll button was broken but we managed to 4 man it with 2 healers a controller and a dps lol. The 3rd boss was a mess and we quit after a while. We couldn't figure out the mechanic at all or rather something was off, I know when you kill one the generators in the corner of the room begin a countdown and when it's up 1 regenerates with around 10% HP but after downing one of them twice it resurrected and wouldn't die again, it was just attacking us with 0 HP. Is the best thing to do get then all low HP first then down them all quicky?

eznark

Banned
Anyone else run into some really strange audio issues on the PS3? At various points I could no longer hear Wonder Woman when she'd pop up in the corner (along with some other ambient silence) and last night there was some really strange out of place audio going on when I was saving the Titans.

Had the audio of the game completely go out on the PS3 version, the music worked but all other sound is off. It came back once I left the instance.

The one other sound glitch I had was when the mentor window was opening it got stuck halfway and sound got stuck in a loop forcing me to restart the game.

eznark

Banned
It's weird. The first few hours I had zero glitches. Played last night for awhile and some quest givers just didn't pop in, the audio was jank, and for some reason the Titan battle kept resetting itself.

That I am still really, really digging the game is a testament to it. I just hope they aggressively patch the thing. I wonder how it's selling

theta11 said:
Finally beat the 1st boss and the 2nd, The second was terrible cause the tanks and dps died to the sonic wave attack cause I guess their roll button was broken but we managed to 4 man it with 2 healers a controller and a dps lol. The 3rd boss was a mess and we quit after a while. We couldn't figure out the mechanic at all or rather something was off, I know when you kill one the generators in the corner of the room begin a countdown and when it's up 1 regenerates with around 10% HP but after downing one of them twice it resurrected and wouldn't die again, it was just attacking us with 0 HP. Is the best thing to do get then all low HP first then down them all quicky?

Its best to kill
Nightwing
then lower the HP of the others, then kill all 4 at once. Main problem with the fight is keeping agro off the healers since the agro resets everytime they fly off to assist someone. Told you second boss was easy =P

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I had some slight audio issues yesterday too. Not as serious as Eznark, but mostly ambient noise (from when you are flying at max altitude) not going away until I entered a building.

eznark

Banned
Lonestar said:
I had some slight audio issues yesterday too. Not as serious as Eznark, but mostly ambient noise (from when you are flying at max altitude) not going away until I entered a building.
Ya it was weird they persisted no matter where I went. It was almost like someone was playing audio into their headset. Annoying.

Anyone have any tips for building a good magic using hand blaster? Supposed to be a controller, but I don't really know what that means. Also, is there no death penalty? (seriously, SOE, explain something at some point...good lawd)

Oh, and the green exclamation marks scattered about. What do those do?

Leunam

Dammit, if only I had known how much of a stun monster staves are. Would have gone with that instead of dual pistols but I suppose pistols are better for building meter.

eznark said:
Anyone have any tips for building a good magic using hand blaster? Supposed to be a controller, but I don't really know what that means. Also, is there no death penalty? (seriously, SOE, explain something at some point...good lawd)

Controllers are supposed to be used for crowd control in battles and also replenish power to other members. Both Mental and Gadget users have that ability. In a party, watch your teams blue meters and then use your abilities to restore their power. Try not to get your meter below 40% so the other Controller doesn't give you meter that should be going to the Tank of Healer.

Also, those exclamation marks are for investigations. They give you tiny tidbits of information and some experience I think. I've never collected all the ones in a series, though.

And I think the only negative to getting killed is severely damaged armor.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
eznark said:
Ya it was weird they persisted no matter where I went. It was almost like someone was playing audio into their headset. Annoying.

Might be a headset. I think Mercury has a headset, and I could hear him throughout the world. Do you have a Cat, Merc? Thought I heard one :lol

I've built up Hand Blaster pretty high, I like what's called "Solar Flare" where you hold Triangle (build up a charge) release and tap Triangle again. Hits for like 60ish and then another hit of 80 or so. Also just unlocked some sort of kick (Hold Square) that hits for over 100 and is fast. I'm under "Mental" and it's got some good abilities (just opened a beam that sets people on fire. That's always fun) but I currently spam Heat Vision and the Flight attack (where you spin around and around, creating a cyclone).

I hope there isn't a dealth penalty, I've died ALOT, especially on the final missions to take on Bosses (i.e. Harley Quinn)

Green Exlamation marks are little bits of story. Collect all the bits of the story, and it finishes, and you get some achievement points or something. It's under the tab of "Feat's/Headlines"

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I've got everything unlocked on hand blaster but my favorite is hold and tap Y/triangle (think this is the one Lonestar is talking about too. If you time it right, you can get two shots in between the hold animation and the transition to the tap finishing move. So it's more more like hold-----tap-tap---tap. Fucks people up pretty good. Some of the Hand Blaster moves just outright don't work in many situations. Like the scissor kick and the big ball of energy. The setup shots hit but the big finale doesn't unless there's a big group around, and typically if you're blasting you're not really going after a big group (you should be using stronger Control moves if you are) so they're very useless.

I do most of my damage with Lev (regular & mass) though because I have a lot invested into Might.

Top Bottom