• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Rising 2 |OT|: He knows his way around a zombie or two.

daycru

I have a posse of survivors but can't find the safehouse without the arrow guiding me. Pulled up the map but don't see the icon on the legend.

styl3s

Picked up the 360 collectors edition about an hour ago at best buy, surprisingly they had about 30 CE's along with about 100 halo reach 360s, 20 halo reach legendarys and stocked with every other CE/LE of newer released games, glad i didn't pick up the reach legendary, it will end up like halo 3 legendary and be 50-60 bucks in 3 months :lol

Volcynika

SpudBud said:
For some reason the game isn't recognizing that I have a 360 controller plugged in. Anyone else having this problem?

PC Version I assume,

Apparently the wireless 360 controller takes a workaround. If it's wired, then there is an 'Enable Controller' option in the game's options.

SpudBud

Volcynika said:
PC Version I assume,

Apparently the wireless 360 controller takes a workaround. If it's wired, then there is an 'Enable Controller' option in the game's options.
The option is grayed out but the guide button seems to work. I don't know what the hell is going on.

Btw, the controller is a hori ex turbo 2.

Just played co-op for a bit, this game is definitely as wacky as the original. It's also really, really big from the looks of the central plaza and the map. Having a ton of fun so far.

theultimo

Through case 1, and its easier to babysit survivors. However, one got stuck with the next part of their story not triggering, so I had to sacrifice them sadly. Oh well, going for case 2.

theultimo said:
Through case 1, and its easier to babysit survivors. However, one got stuck with the next part of their story not triggering, so I had to sacrifice them sadly. Oh well, going for case 2.

Just to check you can beat the game with an optimal ending without any survivors, besides I assume some case based ones, right?

theultimo

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Just to check you can beat the game with an optimal ending without any survivors, besides I assume some case based ones, right?
You just need to beat the case missions, like DR1.

EDIT: Whats with the
Arthur Armor from G&G

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Is it necesarY that i have to "find the thruth" in the 1st playthrough?
Or i can just level up to find it in the second one

FlyinJ said:
I only got 2 of the motorcycle parts in Case Zero at this point, and I don't think I ever had a card unlock unless I just guessed at what to combine. Are there other ways cards unlock?

Killing psychopaths and saving certain people also unlocks them, as does levelling up.

dgenx said:
Is it necesarY that i have to "find the thruth" in the 1st playthrough?
Or i can just level up to find it in the second one

You can do whatever you want. If you ignore the main cases the game will still keep on playing and giving you survivors to save/psychos to kill, and you can still legitimately end it once the time runs out. Or you can just mess about until you want to start a new game, just get yourself killed and choose restart, and all your levels carry over.

Kritz said:
I am so god damn surprised that the PC port of this game is decent. Apart from the terrible upscaled FMV cutscenes, and a slight weirdness to camera controls, the game runs great at max settings while playing coop. Even the GFW aspects of it manage to stay relatively hidden.

I really wasn't expecting much from DR2, even though I loved the first. But this may end up being my favourite game of the year, even over Mass Effect 2 and Heavy Rain.

Oh, and mouse + guns = win. So much easier aiming with a mouse compared to the terrible DR1 aiming, and the slightly tolerable aiming in DR2 Case Zero.
i'm getting bluriness in the cutscenes. it isn't upscaled video though, it's like the focus is out of whack. you'll get a sharp scene followed by one totally out of focus, followed by one where someone doing nothing in the back ground is in focus and the people talking are out of focus.

my blur option doesn't stick when i turn it on, and when it boots up with it OFF, i have an uber blurry menu screen until i turn it ON.

during gameplay blur off vs on does what it should. if i turn it on, i still get the odd out of focus cutscenes. i will cap screens if this sounds like something anyone else is dealing with.

kuYuri

Has this been posted yet?

A cool congrats from Valve to Capcom for DR2 release.

npgnzq.jpg

Chuck also makes a cameo in The Sacrifice comic part 3

rosjos44

I am really enjoying the game so far! The survivors seem to be smarter than in the first game and installing the game to my HDD also helped out the load times.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
anyone playing the PC version with mouse and keyboard? I can't find my wireless connector and was wondering if it was worth finishing the DL on steam if i have to use m/kb atm

edit:
Kritz said:
Oh, and mouse + guns = win. So much easier aiming with a mouse compared to the terrible DR1 aiming, and the slightly tolerable aiming in DR2 Case Zero.

oh, so it's not an issue playing with mouse and keyboard? you think it controls better? ok i'll finish the dl

Himuro said:
Things like the survivors being manageable on a first run. In DR1, you had to protect them like cattle, in order to ensure survival you had to aim at specific places they should run for and then support them in the tail. In DR2, zombies don't go for survivors, they go for Chuck and survivors are faster than Chuck as well. So this puts the pressure on you surviving rather than the survivors.

And the survivors are so useful in DR2 that I have these guys as my rag tag group of ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE badasses. I take them on main story case files, and they help me out. I have been averaging 4 or more survivors at once. The last batch I helped out was a group of 6 people, one of which I was carrying. I couldn't do that in DR1 until my second playthrough. :lol

The game environment is much bigger too and this is the crux of the differences in DR1 and 2. DR1 feels tighter. Objectives are closer together and you have to pick and choose what you want to do, and with so many things offered, it gave the game an unparalleled sense of tension at times. By contrast, DR2 is much more open-ended, the environment is so big that it took me at least 20 minutes to get from one end to the next. There weren't a lot of missions offered and I managed to save all the survivors offered (except one poor Stuart who succumbed to looters, I knew I should have just ran!) but with my main story case file timer beeping red. Suffice to say, I was sweating.

This game is tense, when it wants to be. I'm half convinced I should start a new game on a new file (keeping one save per file for old times sake) just to explore because Fortune City is monstrous.

These are all good differences though. The improvement to friendly AI is such a good thing and was one of the biggest problems/annoyances of the first game.

My only beef with this game was that when it was first shown, it was showing you in las vegas. Now, you're in a mall again. I thought I was gonna be in vegas the city tearing it up out int he open. Oh well, game is still huge and gives you lots of stuff to play with.

Also, the system they use for the Co-Op is dumb. I mean really dumb. It just tries to connect with a random person and stops. That person denies you, you have to start all over. I havent been able to start a co-op game at all.

theultimo

Fixed2BeBroken said:
These are all good differences though. The improvement to friendly AI is such a good thing and was one of the biggest problems/annoyances of the first game.

My only beef with this game was that when it was first shown, it was showing you in las vegas. Now, you're in a mall again. I thought I was gonna be in vegas the city tearing it up out int he open. Oh well, game is still huge and gives you lots of stuff to play with.

Also, the system they use for the Co-Op is dumb. I mean really dumb. It just tries to connect with a random person and stops. That person denies you, you have to start all over. I havent been able to start a co-op game at all.
I wish it was out in the open yeah, but its a HUGE mall.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
So I've installed and I've started playing. Looking good so far! Now if only I can find a mannequin torso.

Edit: Nooooooo what have you done to my mannequin torsos!?! YOU MONSTERS!

outsida said:
Can't seem to get co-op working with the PC version for some reason.

Glad to hear (well not glad) that other people are having issues. I want to try TIR but haven't been able to connect to a game. I thought maybe it was the new router I just bought. Wonder what's going on.

theultimo

Animator said:
Apologies if answered already but how does the ps3 version run?
They have a full os3/360 comparison thread, but it runs fine. All version do, 360 has frame drops a lot though.

Has anyone beat the psychopath
bike guy
if so, how? I can't get close to em.

theultimo said:
They have a full os3/360 comparison thread, but it runs fine. All version do, 360 has frame drops a lot though.

Has anyone beat the psychopath
bike guy
if so, how? I can't get close to em.

Keep dodging, he'll eventually start doing doughnuts and will end them with a taunt animation; just be careful and hit him from behind or you'll be hit by the chainsaws. If you've got enough juice you can let him hit you and he'll go into his taunt, or you can try to get him to crash by standing in-front of a palm tree and rolling out the way a moment before he's hit you, you can also get him to glitch out by doing that and things like it.

I just lost my armour in a glitch tonight. I've not had this much fun with a game since Super and Bayonetta, why's it treating me like this? :(

duckroll

Dead Rising 2 is so good. It's just so good. I'm glad Capcom and Blue Castle (Capcom Jr) didn't succumb to the people who made complains about the core mechanics of DR1. They improved the gameplay and fixed certain nagging problems without changing the direction of the franchise. Bravo!

Fixed2BeBroken said:

Vegas is really a big mall. There isn't much to do outside, so I'm not sure what there is out in the open to tear up.

Zenith

Banned
I found an easy way to defeat the last boss. It's obviously how the designers "meant" for you to defeat him. It makes you hate the game less.
When fighting Sullivan climb up with a melee weapon and do the double jump kick. It's the only way to trigger his flinch animation. It involves and lot ducking and diving and gives the mano a mano feel to it.

Also, do shortcuts work if they haven't been revealed to you yet? Would be a way to let people struggling with the game have a super easy way to travel around. From the safehouse to the gunshop in seconds.

FrankT

duckroll said:
Dead Rising 2 is so good. It's just so good. I'm glad Capcom and Blue Castle (Capcom Jr) didn't succumb to the people who made complains about the core mechanics of DR1. They improved the gameplay and fixed certain nagging problems without changing the direction of the franchise. Bravo!

Had they changed the core formula they would have ruined the game, but alas it's still pretty much all included save Frank West and that camera. I guess that is what many were concerned about coming into this beforehand, but I never got that feeling from watching the videos pre-release.

so anyone else using the workaround for the wireless 360 pad on PC unable to use the pad when playing TIR ranked? i'm guessing it's an anti cheat thing killing the dll. i was trying to play zomboni but i have no idea how to shoot the blood on mouse and keys and all the button prompts were still the 360 pad ones.

WEGGLES

Fucking time limits. Fucucehfgkajghbkgs

Finished Ticket To Ride.

Got back up to the ground level.

Finally found zombrex for Katey.

Got to the safe area

1mm from the fucking safe room

KATEY HAS TURNED

fucking really? 8:00am sharp? Can't wait till 8:01am?

wouldn't be so bad if they at least gave a hint as to where Zombrex might be.... they say you can buy it, but I don't see any Pawn Shops on the map. :I

Axiom

I really like the multiplayer, even if its been a pain finding games. People seem to be Jedis with the chainsaw bike compared to me though.
How do you bring money won over to the main story though?

eek5

Has anyone seen a magazine that might increase durability of the skateboard? I want to ride across the map without having to carry 10 of them. :(

duckroll said:

Dead Rising 2 is so fucking good. Surviors which helped you than rather than hindered and co-op were what were needed to make the first game amazing. Also God damn you scrubs, the psychos have attack patterns you can learn to beat them, stop whining!

duckroll

eek5 said:
Has anyone seen a magazine that might increase durability of the skateboard? I want to ride across the map without having to carry 10 of them. :(

I don't know if it increases the durability or what it specifically does since I no longer have it, but there's a Skateboard magazine in the are where you first meet Rebecca Chang in the Fortune Hotel lobby.

Top Bottom