• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Rising 2 |OT|: He knows his way around a zombie or two.

glaurung

Any tips on how to deal with the
motorcycle maniac during the Meet the Contestants episode? I don't have any guns around that time and he is awfully fast...

Mohonky

Question may have been answered already but;

Are there shortcuts like in the first where you went through the toilet vents to quickly go from one area of the mall to another?

Conceited said:
So towards the end did anyone
hook TK up with Zombrex?
Keeping TK from turning opens up overtime.

glaurung said:
Any tips on how to deal with the
motorcycle maniac during the Meet the Contestants episode? I don't have any guns around that time and he is awfully fast...
Nothing too bright. I essentially brute-forced his ass. Lure him into corners, rolled out of the way, then knife-gloved his ass as he was trying to extirpate his bike from whatever wall he had smashed into. I also just generaly tried to run around waiting for him to do a canned show-off animation, during which he's open for melee attacks.

Mohonky said:
Are there shortcuts like in the first where you went through the toilet vents to quickly go from one area of the mall to another?
In 2 playthroughs, i've only found one.
You get it from the survivor from the "wilted flower" mission. Goes from the restroom on your left when coming out of the safehouse, to the palissade mall (i think, the one to the north-east), in the back of "new you."
Anyone found any other?

Zenith said:
I found an easy way to defeat the last boss...
When fighting Sullivan climb up with a melee weapon and do the double jump kick. It's the only way to trigger his flinch animation.
Yeah, that's the only way that i know of fighting him. Yet, for some reason, i cant seem to hit him while he's stunned, is that normal? I did it in coop last night, and coop buddy was able to hit him when i stunned him, but i couldnt... i dont get it. But yeah,
feet to his face
works fine.

Zenith said:
Also, do shortcuts work if they haven't been revealed to you yet?
The one i know doesnt.

Alex said:
Damn you, Chef Antonio.
consoul said:
This. Maddening cheapness.
Haahahahaaaaaha!!
been there

Daigoro

Himuro said:
You know, Blue Castle and Capcom could have very well sold the fuck out and made Dead Rising 2 some vapid, lazy ass Dynasty Warriors hack and slash and killed off all the time management/item resourcing/surviving in the game. Instead, they gave the people who considered these things "flaws" the middle finger and enhanced. For once, the gamers have won.

yes. so glad they kept very close to the original formula.

it is an original game idea and they didnt tamper. as a DR fan i felt at home right away.

Daigoro said:
yes. so glad they kept very close to the original formula.

it is an original game idea and they didnt tamper. as a DR fan i felt at home right away.

Indeed.

I can't believe how eerily similar the entire game feels, considering Blue Castle had to essentially build DR2 from the ground up.

Played from about 4pm to midnight tonight. Goddamn. Everything in this game just shines with thought and attention to detail. And you need to play smart or the zombies and psychopaths (those fucking psychopaths) will murder you no question.

There's hilarity everywhere and you never feel bored in any area. Fun shit to find everywhere.
This is my game of the year.

Unless New Vegas turns into Obsidian's second coming.

eso76

Mohonky said:

there is at least one, a survivor will teach you. I don't know if you need the survivor to teach you before you can use it or if you can access it anyway. It's in the shop
brand new u and teleports you to the toilets just outside the safehouse [/spoler]

duckroll

Himuro said:
And I still haven't found a book store for some good ol' bonuses.

I haven't seen a book store around yet, but you can find magazines lying around. If you turn left from the starting point in the mall, there's a news stand very nearby. You should be able to get a magazine there which gives you extra PP from weapon kills.

duckroll said:
I haven't seen a book store around yet, but you can find magazines lying around. If you turn left from the starting point in the mall, there's a news stand very nearby. You should be able to get a magazine there which gives you extra PP from weapon kills.

I remember seeing a book store, I think, in the Palisades mall, first floor. Think it was called "ragazines" or something.

duckroll

Himuro said:
Is this the same newstand with that vacant orange juice nearby?

Well, I think there's only one news stand to the left of the starting point, so yeah it should be that one. You might need to smash some glass panels, not sure.

Also, as I posted earlier on, the Skateboarding magazine can be found in the hotel lobby where you first meet Rebecca Chang. Look around for something lying around on a bench.

eso76 said:
there is at least one, a survivor will teach you. I don't know if you need the survivor to teach you before you can use it or if you can access it anyway. It's in the shop
brand new u and teleports you to the toilets just outside the safehouse
Afaik you do need her to tell you about the shortcut before being able to use it.

Himuro said:
Is this the same newstand with that vacant orange juice nearby?
It does have oj laying around, opposite side from safehouse exit. It also has a health magazine, improving effectiveness of food and drinks.

On a completely unrelated note, knight boots are 2 freakin million US dollars!!?!?

Daigoro

Fistwell said:
Watching bibi battering looters to death with a dildo never gets old.

Edit: man, my army of rubber cock wielding minions is only up to 7 and i can already tell the framerate is dropping more than usual.

too much cock for your conslole/pc to handle? brutal!

i have to try this out though. :lol

Himuro said:
Got the game during lunch break.

Reading the manual, this game already looks like it has DR1's original charm.

"Stacey Forsythe - In-your-face activist Stacey is the head of the controversial zombie rights group CURE (Citizens for Undead Rights and Equality)."

:lol :lol :lol :lol

i seriously adore the idea of CURE. i think that is hilarious and brilliant. amazing.

disappeared said:
Indeed.

I can't believe how eerily similar the entire game feels, considering Blue Castle had to essentially build DR2 from the ground up.

i was thinking the same thing when i started playing. its very similar to the first game, and that was exactly what i wanted in a sequel. weird, but good.

duckroll

Yeah, I think it's great that the sequel not only captures the spirit of the original's gameplay, but also the character design, art direction, and scenario tone. If Capcom secretly bought Blue Castle Games, and never announced that anyone other than "Capcom" was making DR2, I will honestly not be able to tell that this game was not developed completely by the same team that made the original. So amazing.

Well shit I guess I better go pick this up.
After all the bitching I did about "yeah but DR2 isn't going to be anything like DR1! Fuck you Capcom!"

theultimo

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Well shit I guess I better go pick this up.
After all the bitching I did about "yeah but DR2 isn't going to be anything like DR1! Fuck you Capcom!"
Its DR1 with actual fixes, just has a few odd technical issues. One of the best sequels in memory this gen.

My oh my. What a complete turn around in perception this game has had here on GAF. :D

I had faith from day one and thought it was always gonna be awesome. Doubters silenced!

I'm enjoying it, but it is far too similar to Dead Rising. Bar the weapon combinations and overkill in lighting (i miss the natural lighting of DR1), DR2 feels identical down to the psychopath scenarios & personality (
Slappy = Store Owner
), map design, and the natural progression of the game (first night-time cinematic that reveals...nothing).

Correct me if I’m wrong, but it is pretty disappointing to see that books don't increase the durability of customised weapons. Picked up a sports magazine and my customised mma/boxing gloves aren't receiving the boost.

Also; anyone have any tips for Randy (
Here comes the Groom, wedding psychopath
). Ranged weaponry does nothing, the guy is way too quick to run out of the way, and kills me via melee through the wooden barriers

eek5

viewtifulsub said:
I'm enjoying it, but it is far too similar to Dead Rising. Bar the weapon combinations and overkill in lighting (i miss the natural lighting of DR1), DR2 feels identical down to the psychopath scenarios & personality (
Slappy = Store Owner
), map design, and the natural progression of the game (first night-time cinematic that reveals...nothing).

Correct me if I’m wrong, but it is pretty disappointing to see that books don't increase the durability of customised weapons. Picked up a sports magazine and my customised mma/boxing gloves aren't receiving the boost.

). Ranged weaponry does nothing, the guy is way too quick to run out of the way, and kills me via melee through the wooden barriers

I used a shotgun and sniper rifle and kept jumping back and forth on the wooden barriers.. if you go across the strip and through the back door of the pink store you can make a rocket launcher that can take him out too.. if you get lucky

eek5

Mohonky said:

Yup. You can either use the underground to get around faster. Skateboard + underground until you find a bike at one of the exits works pretty well.
One of the survivors will reveal a bathroom warp that lets you warp from the bathroom to the right of the safehouse to a store in palisades mall later in the game as well

theultimo

viewtifulsub said:
Slappy = Store Owner

I used a spiked bat running in, getting a few hits, and running across the street for the blender to mix more pain killers. I was lvl 15 at the time.

What's amazing that Blue Castle actually made a sequel with a different scenario that feels like DR. crackdown 2, on the other hand, feels like a mod.

viewtifulsub said:
Also; anyone have any tips for Randy
Like he said, the main thing is jumping over the barriers to force him to move around. He also gets out of breath now and then and is completely open. Longer range melee weapons seem to work well, like broom+machete, or rake+battery. I tried to poke him from the other side of the barrier. If all fails, bring lots of juice and knife gloves.

theultimo

eek5 said:
Yup. You can either use the underground to get around faster. Skateboard + underground until you find a bike at one of the exits works pretty well.
One of the survivors will reveal a bathroom warp that lets you warp from the bathroom to the right of the safehouse to a store in palisades mall later in the game as well
i wish a car was down there though, easy zombie genocide

eek5

theultimo said:
I used a spiked bat running in, getting a few hits, and running across the street for the blender to mix more pain killers. I was lvl 15 at the time.

What's amazing that Blue Castle actually made a sequel with a different scenario that feels like DR. crackdown 2, on the other hand, feels like a mod.

Blue Castle definitely put Rufian to shame :lol

Belfast

theultimo said:
i wish a car was down there though, easy zombie genocide

Well,
There are the shitty security carts, technically. Also, I believe you can find a giant roller cage in the middle of the underground area somewhere (it's not on the outer circuit). AFAIK, it's indestructable.

Daigoro

Tricky I Shadow said:
My oh my. What a complete turn around in perception this game has had here on GAF. :D

I had faith from day one and thought it was always gonna be awesome. Doubters silenced!

i always had faith that CAPGOD would ensure the Dead Rising legacy would not be tarnished.

and so it was done.

Dead Rising 2 is great, just so fun and it's wonderful to have the same feel and gameplay but with a renewed sense of exploration. Exploration is a major advantage of videogames over other mediums and I think that's why open-world games are so appealing.

In many ways though, I like Case Zero more. It can be beaten in one (short) sitting, and that is a great feeling (especially for the price), but it has such great replay-ability. I hope that Capcom develops more stand alone games like that in the Dead Rising world. I would love some episodic content bridging 2 and the inevitable 3.

eek5

surv.png

missed one...? nooooo

duckroll

Himuro said:
What are these gifts for Katey?

You can pick up any of the stuffed animals around the game and bring them back to the saferoom to give them to her. It gives you bonus PP, achievements, and they stay around inside the room as decorations! :D

Darklord

Banned
Some of the timing stuff in this game is rough. I just got to an event with about 2 minutes to spare. After the cutscene I had to run to another location...with about 2 minutes again. :(

How many endings does this game have? I'm guessing 1 if you do all the missions, 1 if you don't find the truth, are there many others?

eek5

btw at the end of overtime
there is no reward for reeling katey up to the top... i was hoping TK was the 50th survivor or something .. that was incredibly difficult to do without dying and you don't get anything for it :lol :(

eek5

Darklord said:
Some of the timing stuff in this game is rough. I just got to an event with about 2 minutes to spare. After the cutscene I had to run to another location...with about 2 minutes again. :(

How many endings does this game have? I'm guessing 1 if you do all the missions, 1 if you don't find the truth, are there many others?
S is really just a grade

There should be around 3 endings.. failing completely, no overtime, and overtime ending. maybe 4 with the difference being finding the truth and katey dying

glaurung

eek5 said:
S is really just a grade

There should be around 3 endings.. failing completely, no overtime, and overtime ending. maybe 4 with the difference being finding the truth and katey dying
Katey dying means game over, does it not? Don't really care to find out myself.

A question for those who have already played the game to shreds:
Do at some point additional safe house access points become available? Dragging and carrying the survivors across the entire map is not fun, it's almost a chore.

robot

The fact that survivors aren't half the chore they were in DR1 make this twice as good. I even had a drunken waitress follow me back to the safehouse, it wasn't until we got to the vent where I realized I can carry her instead :lol . But she made it back with us without a scratch, wondering if the zombies thought she was one of them?

robot said:
The fact that survivors aren't half the chore they were in DR1 make this twice as good. I even had a drunken waitress follow me back to the safehouse, it wasn't until we got to the vent where I realized I can carry her instead :lol . But she made it back with us without a scratch, wondering if the zombies thought she was one of them?

I was going nuts at the old granny till I realised I could pick her up :lol

eek5

the most annoying survivor is the one with a limp that you CAN'T pick up! ahhh he was so slow

basically had to set a waypoint and throw fireworks the whole time to get zombies away from him :lol

duckroll

eek5 said:
the most annoying survivor is the one with a limp that you CAN'T pick up! ahhh he was so slow

basically had to set a waypoint and throw fireworks the whole time to get zombies away from him :lol

Can you put him in a wheelchair?

Yeah, the survivor A.I is absolutely no problem now! In fact half the time I actually forget that I have survivors following me! And having a group of them with you is now a huge plus opposed to it being a nightmare.

And when you have a group with you its so funny listening to the random comments they make. Some of the stuff they say have me in stiches! And lol at the mermaid survivor flopping around when you drop her! :lol

duckroll said:
stuffed animals
Stuffed or non-stuffed.

eek5 said:
the most annoying survivor is the one with a limp that you CAN'T pick up!
Beside the wheelchair, another option would be the
survivor buffing magazine
, found in the
bingo place, north of the chapel on silver strip
. It makes limpers walk normally, you dont need to carry anyone.

Himuro said:
What are these gifts for Katey?

The full list of gifts you can get her:

Bag of Marbles
Beach Ball
Funny Painting
Giant Stuffed Bull
Giant Stuffed Donkey
Giant Stuffed Elephant
Giant Stuffed Rabbit
Robot Bear
Snowflake
Stick Pony
Water Gun

duckroll

bluedeviltron said:
Why are more people not talking about the horrible audio mix on the PC version? Has Capcom even acknowledged it? It's a serious, serious problem.

It's not just the PC version from what I hear. The game's audio mix is just horribly soft in general for some unknown reason. It's probably less of a problem for people who output to receivers (PC or console) because that allows for a much higher volume range to offset the issue.

Top Bottom