• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

grendelrt

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Depends really...I actually use the cutter A LOT and have upgraded it to the max...I sold the ripper because I did not like it and it was just annoying to use and that gave me like 50K and I bought 5 nodes with that, very helpful. It's tough to say, which weapon are you looking at? There's nothing better than a maxed weapon, I always say.

THIS for sure.

I have the starter gun and line gun now. I am on chapter 2, have enough money for a node or the assault rifle (pulse maybe?)

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
ezekial45 said:
Could you be a little more specific? I only have a small window to get this game now. Or else i'll have to wait a while to play it.

The game is great and i bought it but chances are you'll want to rent it. It's really short. I started playing it yesterday and i let myself not play it so much today because i would've finished it tonight. It'll probably be done midday tomorrow and then ill just trade it in. I can't see myself replaying this multiple times.

grendelrt said:
I have the starter gun and line gun now. I am on chapter 2, have enough money for a node or the assault rifle (pulse maybe?)

Stick to the line cutter, its a great weapon according to pretty much everyone that tried using it. Assault rifle is arguably the lesser of all the weapons, the only good thing about it is that it can spray in a 360 arc and use up all your ammo in two seconds.

xabre

Banned
People finishing the game...what is the length like? I've heard anything from 10 to 15-20 hours. I suppose harder difficulty will make things last longer?

grendelrt said:

I've actually enjoyed using the pulse rifle. When it's upgraded a bit it's pretty handy to have but it definitely takes a bit to chop an enemy up. Plasma cutter is definitely the most balanced weapon and definitely one of the more powerful ones IMO. And when it's maxed, it's brutal, two shot kills without a doubt. I use the Line Cutter for the Brutes and I use the contact beam for the BIG enemies.

RavenFox

Banned
This is the first game that captured the feel of outer space right in my opinion. Th decompression and the whoosh of air rushing out is beyond what I expected. Oh my the sound right after that is just.....zero. EA you've earned this one.

grendelrt

Lostconfused said:
Stick to the line cutter, its a great weapon according to pretty much everyone that tried using it. Assault rifle is arguably the lesser of all the weapons, the only good thing about it is that it can spray in a 360 arc and use up all your ammo in two seconds.

Nice Ill probably buy another node with my money then. Then I have to decide what to use it on :D I am playing on hard so I am thinking this crap through haha.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
About middle of chapter 2, 2h30m in the game, its been blowing my mind and ears (with sex) like no game has done in a long long time, this game's audio engineers should have their face on the cover. Amazing and atmospheric graphics too, creepy as fuck. There's not much that hasnt been said about this game yet in this thread so i'll just say

damn you EA, you're good, real good.

duffey

Finished up the first chapter and I'm pretty impressed so far. I don't know that it's scary at all really but to be honest these kinds of games don't really do much for me in that regard. That said, the action so far is awesome and I'm diving in for more as soon as the Rays/Red Sox game is over.

kaskade

I'm probably just going to end up renting it tomorrow. I probably would've bought it if Far Cry wasn't coming out next week.

calder

Really enjoying it, just a bit into chapter 2. Looks and sounds great and I flat out love the UI and menus they use.

It was kinda funny how the trophies/achievements are fairly legit, at first I was wondering if something was wrong as I hadn't gotten a trophy notification 20ish minutes in and I'm so used to games that give you a "hey thanks for playing, here's a freebie" achievement right off the bat. ;)

Halvie said:
How does this compare to Biohazard?...or are they that different you can't compare them?
Biohazard or Bioshock? The game borrows very heavily from RE from the little bit I've played (just the first chapter). Not in a bad way though, it takes what RE did well and makes it its own.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Getting this game as an impulse buy since my friend got 2 copies, he ordered the $150 limited edition 360 version but thought that they sold out of it, so then he bought the PS3 version but it turned out that they just shipped his LE late, so he's selling his PS3 one at a cheaper price to me. I've been reading a bit about the game, but haven't really been following it until a few weeks ago.

What should I expect from this game? From some of the opinions I've read, it seems like it's RE4 in space, which would be amazing.

RavenFox

Banned
My goodness the attention to detail in the control room at the beginning of chapter
is so damn well done. The holo readouts are so believable and very well done.

GSG Flash said:
Getting this game as an impulse buy since my friend got 2 copies, he ordered the $150 limited edition 360 version but thought that they sold out of it, so then he bought the PS3 version but it turned out that they just shipped his LE late, so he's selling his PS3 one at a cheaper price to me. I've been reading a bit about the game, but haven't really been following it until a few weeks ago.

Curse you EA!

Big-E

Just beat the first chapter on hard. Holy fuck this game is sweet. I love how ammo is scarce and these guys require good aim to drop them. So far the game has made me a lot more tense than Silent Hill Homecoming did. I find the sound is a bit better in this game too.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Chapter 3 NEED MAJOR HELP>>>GAME BREAKING CONCERN!!

So the worm arm thing drags me after the centrifuge part and I have to shoot the yellow sac before I die grimly... Only problem is that I only have 6 cutter ammo which the game kindly left for me in front of the door since I ran out killing all the other aliens in the previous room...Only those 6 freebie shots seem to do jack shit to the yellow sac(playing on Hard). Am I screwed? I can't go back to buy ammo because this stupid worm thing -is- the only obstacle between me and any possible store or pickup. The centrifuge area behind me leads nowhere and has nothing. It's so great getting a billion ammo drops for weapons I DON'T HAVE and now I am screwed!

:sigh:

RavenFox

Banned
Big-E said:
Just beat the first chapter on hard. Holy fuck this game is sweet. I love how ammo is scarce and these guys require good aim to drop them. So far the game has made me a lot more tense than Silent Hill Homecoming did. I find the sound is a bit better in this game too.
Ammo is scarce eh? Here's a tip. A node saved is a room earned. ;-)

TP

Brandon F said:

So the worm arm thing drags me after the centrifuge part and I have to shoot the yellow sac before I die grimly... Only problem is that I only have 6 cutter ammo which the game kindly left for me in front of the door since I ran out killing all the other aliens in the previous room...Only those 6 freebie shots seem to do jack shit to the yellow sac(playing on Hard). Am I screwed? I can't go back to buy ammo because this stupid worm thing -is- the only obstacle between me and any possible store or pickup. The centrifuge area behind me leads nowhere and has nothing. It's so great getting a billion ammo drops for weapons I DON'T HAVE and now I am screwed!

Are they all making contact? did you upgrade it yet?
I used the Pulse Rifle and a few short bursts showed it who was boss

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Jeo said:
Are they all making contact? did you upgrade it yet?
I used the Pulse Rifle and a few short bursts showed it who was boss

I just upgraded the damage so far. I'll keep trying, maybe some of the shots are not making perfect contact with the sac, but I swear I dumped all 6 into the weakpoint and nothing. :mad:

What's "Peng"?

2hnrq7s.jpg

HugBasket

Banned
Brandon F said:

try secondary fire

MiniDitka said:
Ahhhh! I'm on chapter 5 and am supposed to find some DNA and I think I know what room its in but the problem is I keep getting swarmed by monsters and can never last long enough to find it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Video of said room - http://www.dailymotion.com/MiniDitka/video/11922267

uvs081016-004.jpg
thanks for the spoiler tags.

MiniDitka

Brandon F said:

Did you trying slowing it down first and then shoot it?

Scarecrow

OK, so the game's been out for a while and I bet a bunch of you have beaten it. I have a few questions before I decide to get it (please note, I've been avoiding this thread for spoiler reasons):
-First of all, is the game good?
-How about length?
-How does the story hold up?
-What about replay value?
-Is it something I should hold off on to get for cheap later?

HugBasket

Banned
Scarecrow said:
OK, so the game's been out for a while and I bet a bunch of you have beaten it. I have a few questions before I decide to get it (please note, I've been avoiding this thread for spoiler reasons):
-How about length?
we all love it

buy it

jaaz

Okay, hard is hard. I'm in chapter 2 I think I'll stick with it. It forces you to conserve ammo, use stasis and use plenty of strategy when they come at you in numbers. It really adds to the scare factor.

By the way,
what the hell is it with those test-tube babies? I mean, what is a supposed planet-cracker ship doing with a science lab that runs experiments using babies? Weird crap. Can't wait to find out!

Oh and the Obsidian suit looks awesome. Anyone have the Scorpion Rig that can comment on it?

Yackie

Ok, I'm loving this game so far. I'm about halfway through chapter 2 and I have to say
I LOLed at the part with the alien mutant babies. I saw the little jars of on the wall and kind of guessed what the new enemy might be, but I was completely caught off guard when one of them jumped on me and I had to frantically press A to get it off. Issac ends up kicking the baby and it goes flying across the room! Totally unexpected and quite amusing.

Alex P

Scarecrow said:
-How about length?

-Yes.
-It is fairly lengthy.
-Okay.
-You can replay it if you feel like it?
-No. You have to buy it now.

HugBasket

Banned
DeathNote said:
Apparently there's 12 chapters? How long did it take to do 6?
it has taken me about 3 1/2 hours to do four missions

never a dull moment either

so yeah, experienced a couple rooms with lots of enemies, started to run low on ammo for my three weapons and.. this is probably the most fun i've had with a game in a long time. there is something incredibly simple about yet still hard. it is kind of like a modern day mega man

man, the story is really interesting and i like how even in chapter 4 little things are falling into place.
like reading the text about the wounds the captain sustained, especially the part about his eye, and then finding a video log with the footage of the captain getting killed. little things like that are just happening all over this game

C.Dark.DN

Banned
HugBasket said:
it has taken me about 3 1/2 hours to do four missions

never a dull moment either

so yeah, experienced a couple rooms with lots of enemies, started to run low on ammo for my three weapons and.. this is probably the most fun i've had with a game in a long time. there is something incredibly simple about yet still hard. it is kind of like a modern day mega man

man, the story is really interesting and i like how even in chapter 4 little things are falling into place.
like reading the text about the wounds the captain sustained, especially the part about his eye, and then finding a video log with the footage of the captain getting killed. little things like that are just happening all over this game
ugh, the hype.

So I recently bought a ps3 and Assassin's Creed, GTA4, and The Darkness are on the top of my backlog list.

Should I bump this to the top?

Costanza

Banned
DeathNote said:
ugh, the hype.

So I recently bought a ps3 and Assassin's Creed, GTA4, and The Darkness are on the top of my backlog list.

Should I bump this to the top?
YES. You should also swap GTA with Saints Row 2. Much better game.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Costanza said:
YES. You should also swap GTA with Saints Row 2. Much better game.
Wish I got my GameFly account sooner than last night. 60 bucks for some of these I'm not palying yet ::mubbles::

I need to stick to buying rare games I like and gameflying abundant games.

TANGENT/OT:
Anyone have a list of the rare ps3 games? Low shipments I guess?

Top Bottom