• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demento looks Fantastic - movie stills inside

olimario

Banned
I really do think this is on par with what I've seen of RE4. Definatly of the same style.
Models look the same quality, indoor textures actually seem a bit better, the lighting is nice, and the shadowing seems a bit better.

01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg
04.jpg
05.jpg
06.jpg
07.jpg
08.jpg
09.jpg
17.jpg
18.jpg
19.jpg
20.jpg

21.jpg
22.jpg
23.jpg
24.jpg
25.jpg
26.jpg

Dead

well not really...yet
Reminds me of Koudelka for some god forsaken reason, mostly the girl I guess

DeadStar said:
Reminds me of Koudelka for some god forsaken reason, mostly the girl I guess

That's a good thing. :)

This game looks nice. The only thing i'm not really liking about it graphically is the animation which seems a bit weird at times going by the trailer.

Takuan

19.jpg

He just wants a hug :(

This doesn't look as nice as RE4 to me, but it could just be the shots. The textures look quite a bit worse.

nitewulf

El Papa said:
So a crazed retard chases you around a mansion filled with dolls?

yeah, seems that way.
anyway, i think RE4 looks better, from what i can gather from screenshots anyway. this looks good though, but damn, survival horror is already boring, i wonder how boring survival horror without guns would be.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Takuan said:
19.jpg

He just wants a hug :(

This doesn't look as nice as RE4 to me, but it could just be the shots. The textures look quite a bit worse.

Do they now?

535840_20040827_screen002.jpg

535840_20040730_screen017.jpg

535840_20040730_screen049.jpg

535840_20040827_screen003.jpg

RE4 has good textures overall, and they look better in motion, but they really aren't that different/better.

Looking through those reminded me how much I miss the old look of RE4 (which was TRULY excellent looking)...

resi4_screen001.jpg

resi4_screen005.jpg

resevil4_screen004.jpg

resevil4_screen001.jpg

gcre4_screen004.jpg

My god did that look incredible. The current version is very good looking, but this is just way beyond what we have now. It's so good that I have to wonder if they could have held that visual quality within an actual game...

olimario

Banned
I love this shot. Favorite game shot this gen.
It makes me wish they had built this engine for indoors only.
The video of this section of the game looks amazing as well.
resevil4_screen001.jpg

dark10x

olimario said:
I love this shot. Favorite game shot this gen.
It makes me wish they had built this engine for indoors only.
The video of this section of the game looks amazing as well.
resevil4_screen001.jpg

I agree.

In fact, had the game actually come out looking like that...I might say it is the best looking game yet created (and that includes PC). Fantastic combination of art design and technology...

Also, looking at the older videos, I swear that the game almost looks like it could have been quite creepy (a first for the series :p). The fact that they were moving AWAY from zombie action seemed to be a GOOD thing...

dark10x

-=::[Eagle-Vision]::=- said:
Yeah, just one character on screen sure looks better
rolleyes.gif

Yeah, it does actually. Perhaps you should take another look at the older trailers to see what they were going for...

For one, I would have preferred it if there were VERY few characters on the screen. A sense of fear is not built from a pile of bodies...

Secondly, the actual areas shown in the older media just look far more impressive and beautiful to me from an artistic standpoint. The current game is very...brown and lacks a lot of the fine detail found in the older media.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Cut the crap, Capcom. Just call it Clock Tower 4. It does look mighty nice though. But I'm just not sure if I'll like the run 'n' hide gameplay.

dark10x

Ninja Scooter said:
is this game supposed to be scary? Because like 4 or 5 of those pics made me laugh my ass off.

How many games have you played that are actually scary? Not many, I'm sure...

Most developers just seem to have a very difficult time pulling that off...

RiZ III

Young girl, big boobs, short skirt. Sold!

But seriously, the gameplay seems very similar to Clock Tower 3. I guess this time you get a dog.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
People are stupid. The old RE4 was an actual game. It was scrapped because it was too similar to the other games in the series. The new game actually has more detailed environments and while the characters are slightly less complex there are a lot more of them.

Yeah, it does actually. Perhaps you should take another look at the older trailers to see what they were going for...

The only thing that looks better is the shadow of Leon. But oh, wait, the current build has self shadowing....

For one, I would have preferred it if there were VERY few characters on the screen. A sense of fear is not built from a pile of bodies...[/quote]

So you want the exact same thing from previous REs ¬¬U...

Secondly, the actual areas shown in the older media just look far more impressive and beautiful to me from an artistic standpoint.

To you.

The current game is very...brown and lacks a lot of the fine detail found in the older media.

Like what? I see a lot of detail in this:

resident-evil-4-20040924011717527.jpg

Also, the castle is the same that the old one...

The new game actually has more detailed environments and while the characters are slightly less complex there are a lot more of them.

Exactly

dark10x

NO SHIT?!

resident-evil-4-20040924011717527.jpg

Damn, that's pretty much the best shot I've ever seen of RE4. I've never seen a new RE4 shot that detailed before...

edit - Just looked through IGN's site. That actually IS the very best pic available (and it's even the first pic in their library). Good find!

I still prefer the look of the original showing of RE. It most certainly was not "too similar" to the older games (the trailer proves as much).

I think it looks good, definately not as good as RE4 though. Also, is it me or does it seem like it has a "fixed" perspective in some of those shots. Thats definately a minus as well.

*edit* - just watched the video...looks really good in motion... still not at the awesomeness that is RE4 however.

Top Bottom