• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon’s Souls Looks Substantially Better on PlayStation 5 Pro; New Visual Feature Confirmed

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
Demons-Souls-Remake-launch-window.jpg

The tech experts at Digital Foundry recently had the chance to check out the game running on Sony's soon-to-be-released mid-generation system. They revealed that it features a new Pro display mode that runs at what seems like 4K resolution and 60 FPS. The image looks very detailed but a little soft, but it's not clear if this is due to PSSR upscaling or anything else, as Digital Foundry could not confirm any details regarding the resolution.

What was confirmed, however, is that Demon's Souls on PlayStation 5 Pro features a new visual feature, a new contact shadow system. This system is similar to the screen space shadows system employed on base PlayStation 5, which is mostly noticeable in areas with rocks, but shows more fine shadow details that look quite good. Despite the lack of anything else, which is unsurprising considering the game will be four years old at the time the PS5 Pro launches, Digital Foundry has no doubt that Demon's Souls looks substantially better on the upcoming console.

Last edited:
Nice just another pro game I can add to my list. I started it but dropped it after the first boss because I just wasn't feeling anymore dark souls at that point.

Shin-Ra

Not really new info:

Original Performance (1440p60) and Cinematic (2160p30) modes still options
Pro mode: 4K-like image quality at 60fps
Pro mode: extra tessellation density like cinematic mode
Pro mode: additional micro-shadowing detail that helps reveal the fine bumps in stones, bricks etc.

The original PS5 release already had such high geometry density that using traditional shadow maps for everything, down to the finest details just bogged performance. Instead they use more advanced forms of screen-space directional occlusion (SSDO) and every light source casts these shadows.

Last edited:

Zacfoldor

This game was such a looker when it came out I'm beyond stoked it is going to look even better. Wow. Definitely looking forward to a new run one day.

You know what this makes me think? Bloodborne 2 by Bluepoint. There I said it. If it comes true I was the first to connect the dots to work on this engine also being upgraded for a new game BB2.

What if we got Demon's Souls 2 by Bluepoint and BB remake by another studio?

Last edited:

scalman

well pc people would buy new gpu just to have those upgrades so yh... still i bought used ps4 pro for like 280 euros back then. now og ps5 cost like 300 at least used. digital. so maybe no not now. i still dont have ps5 either so maybe ps5 og prices will drop some
i like DF too but they testing games and do reviews for visuals for graphics...anf thats never goal for me so like thats good for views.. for numbers on youtube sure
not important for game itself. shame peaople just sold they souls for views. and became drama queens

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Demon's Souls is one of the best looking games I've played. ...not sure I'd want to make time to play it again though. Even if it does have more fine shadow detail that looks "quite good."

scalman

but like 800 euros. i can have rtx 4060 laptop for like 900 here. and rtx 4070 laptop for like 1.200 . maybe when price drops on used ones
and they right ablut the price . all parts cost more now. but .... how many games are like life exclusive to consoles ?

Last edited:
No it doesn’t
James lets agree that this game didn't quite need the PS5 Pro enhancement. The game looked great in it's performance mode on base PS5 since day one. The added clarity isn't discernible on the Pro for this game and that's exactly what Digital Foundry is echoing in their analysis. It's nice to have but wasn't needed compared to the other games that are benefitting from the Pro upgrades.

Shin-Ra

The original PS5 release used temporal upsampling like SotC to try and maximise its 1440p60 input but there was still an obvious upgrade in spatial image quality between the two modes.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
James lets agree that this game didn't quite need the PS5 Pro enhancement. The game looked great in it's performance mode on base PS5 since day one. The added clarity isn't discernible on the Pro for this game and that's exactly what Digital Foundry is echoing in their analysis. It's nice to have but wasn't needed compared to the other games that are benefitting from the Pro upgrades.

The game looked a lot softer in performance mode, I actually played through it in fidelity as a result

DF is not saying it’s not discernible at all even if the performance mode was decent

Last edited:

rm082e

As a PC player who likes to play at max settings (1440), shadows are usually the least interesting visual feature once you get above medium quality. With AC and FarCry games in particular, I usually find the top options look different from each other, but not better. Meanwhile they can be a big load on the GPU.

I haven't seen Demon's Souls new shadows (I think that bit at the end of the DF video was the old shadows, right?), but that's probably not going to be something most players would even notice.

Top Bottom