• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Denis Dyack in 1up yours. NeoGAF is "hurting society," justifies having it shut down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that I listened to the whole thing he brings up some good points after his crazy rant about about his heroes.

I am still looking forward to Too Human because it looks more like PSO than Universe does.

Salazar

bj00rn said:
Uh, there IS a "scanning ability" out there already and it's called "moderation". I guess that's why Denis Dyack said that maybe it (neogaf/message boards) should/could be moderated a little "better".

Yep, and previews should be better, and E3 should be better, and society's adaptation to technological advances should be better, and Epic's support should be better and - gosh - Too Human should be better.

You know, I used to love SK. They were perhaps my favorite developer after ED, which remains one of my favorite games. But in the last few weeks, Denis, you have come across like an attention whoring maniac. I don't even know if I'll buy Too Human at this point.

It's like going to see a Tom Cruise movie, I know he's a good actor but the craziness disturbs me.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Deku said:
his mistake was revealing his identity to GAF while expressing his content for the forum over various posts.
I believe any industry 'figure' that has revealed their identity here has been subject to both praise and harsh criticism(insults, whatever) - including those that worked on low-key products, usually it's enough to be exclusive to a platform to get the brunt of both sides.

The mistake would be to take any of it personally. Dennis also isn't the first industry figure to have a public meltdown on and because of Gaf - just that not many people 'out of the closet' have the amount of publicity he does, so I doubt people remember it as well.

But I do believe he is the first one to ever threaten to shut the forum down.

The guy sounds like a whack job but I am starting to believe GAF is biased against Too Human though. I watched the footage gametrailes has up and the game doesn't look nearly as bad as people on gaf would have you believe. I thought this game would look like absolute crap but it looks fine.

CoG

Finally got around to listening to the whole thing. I think it's pretty clear when you cut through the pseudo-intellectual babble about the demise of society through technology that Denis is dreading the Metacritic score for Too Human. His constant dismissal of the metric reeks of sour grapes. My guess is that after Too Human is released his next Jihad will be against game reviewers and Metacritic in particular.

Doc Evils

junkwaffle said:
theymustbestoppedsm.jpg

s5b5zp.gif

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Sadist said:
I was talking about the internet as a whole, not just messageboards.

It's entirely coincidental, but I'm working on a service at the moment to help do that, to help communities get a better sense of their members beyond just what they know about them themselves. It'll be an interesting experiment at least.. :)

Sadist

gofreak said:
It's entirely coincidental, but I'm working on a service at the moment to help do that, to help communities get a better sense of their members beyond just what they know about them themselves. It'll be an interesting experiment at least.. :)
It seems bigscale. There are so many factors to use for such a service.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Sadist said:
It seems bigscale. There are so many factors to use for such a service.

Yup, I've had some nights I've kept myself awake with 'what ifs'.. and I have a whiteboard mapping out everything I've thought of thusfar that's getting a little packed. I'd a friend over and he thought I'd gone crazy :p I think I've cracked a lot of the potential issues though, it'll be ready for beta soon.

Flavius

Whipped Spartan said:
The guy sounds like a whack job but I am starting to believe GAF is biased against Too Human though. I watched the footage gametrailes has up and the game doesn't look nearly as bad as people on gaf would have you believe. I thought this game would look like absolute crap but it looks fine.

I'm honestly not seeing it. While I'm sure there are individuals on both sides taking it a bit more personal than everyone else, I feel that, for the most part, the comments/gifs/jokes/memes/etc are the very same responses you would see to any major release.

There are definite "quirks" to the animation and art style, and people are making with the funny. I have a few shirts in my closet that friends and family find atrocious, and when I wear them, I know I can expect a great deal of ribbing. I happen to like them, but I can certainly understand where they're coming from. I find it hard to believe that Denis Dyack and the rest of the gang at SK do not see the very same quirks most of us are seeing.

If the game is good stuff, they should be able to take the animated gifs and comments in stride...just as I know that I am a handsome motherfucker, and can take the "oh my god, what Saturday morning cartoon character threw up all over your shirt?" comments without falling to the ground and crying myself into a heap.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Anyone remember what happened to Red Faction 3?

Hammer time!

Scotch

Gryphter said:
I'm going to be 100% honest here:

I was interested in the game and if it got good reviews I would have bought it.

Not anymore
Yep, Denis isn't doing the game's sailes any good.

I feel kinda sorry for the guys working under him.

monkspider said:
Mr. Dyack has proven in the past to be a bit of an eccentric character but I wonder why everyone except Garnett seemed so agreeable with him? Shane in particular seemed to take a pretty dim view of our fine Gaf.

I just wonder if this will be like the episode where they had the Hellgate London guy on and politely humored him during the show but the following week totally ragged on the guy? :lol

Yeah, It sounded like this was a conversation that had already taken place between Denis and Shane. Do they do pre-interviews for the podcast like on legit talk-shows? And if so, why wasn't Garnett given a preview to the crazy?

MickeyPhree

I'm finally listening to the podcast now. Dyack seems all over the place with his topics...just rambling on and on. The game is probably rubbish, he knows it, and he' freaking out because it's going to bomb reviews/salewise.

And it's probably been stated before but his reference to the star wars kid was not correct.

Banned
Well, I finished listening to the podcast last night, and frankly, I wish I had taken notes. It was after 4am by the time I was done and my memory isn't that good at the best of times. I feel like I should have maybe typed up a response then when it was fresh in my mind so I apologise if I have missed any points or have misinterpreted things. I should also point out that I haven't had a chance to read this thread, but given how large it is already, I imagine it can't be good.

I have to start by saying that I always enjoy listening to Denis — he has a different take on things compared to many people in the industry, and whether I agree with what he is saying or not, it is always interesting to hear. I really don't understand why there is so much animosity towards him on these message boards.

I think he raises a lot of good points on the podcast, especially about message boards and internet culture in general. I also think it's great to hear about how Silicon Knights keeps everything in-house as they don't feel it is socially/ethically responsible to outsource, even if it does cost more to do so.

I agree with his thoughts on metacritic or even review scores in general. Now, I don't think that it means ratings should be abandoned altogether, but they are far too fine-grained as they are now. What makes Game A 0.1% better than Game B? What does Game A being 0.1% better than Game B even mean?

The scale itself seems to be constantly changing and getting smaller as it does. Far more games are getting 10/10 these days when it was once fairly rare. Many people now seem to think 80% or even 90% is what makes a game worth playing rather than the 70% it used to be, when an average game should really be 50%. It's absolutely ridiculous. From reading some of the comments that appear on forums such as this, you would get the impression that 90% is a bad score!

I'll maybe have a look at scores on a few sites to get a rough idea of what critics seem to think about a game (though I don't use an aggregator) but my decision to make a purchase is never linked to the score itself. The text is far more important than the number at the end, but even then I tend to make my own decision based on footage of the games such as GameTrailers' reviews, the 1up Show and clips from Gamersyde and from reading impressions on message boards. Or even better, I'll play the demo and make up my own mind if I can. (though I realise that some demos are not based on the final product)

Making the decision to purchase a game is a hard thing to do though, and I can sort-of understand why the score is important to many people. Over here, a new game is typically £35–45, that's $70–90 US. If you don't like it, you're going to lose at least £10–15 ($20–30) on trading it in or selling it on — that alone is more than the cost of, say, buying a movie. Now gaming in general may be getting cheaper over the years, but it's still quite an investment compared to buying a movie or a CD where, if you don't like it, you won't lose much and it wasn't such an investment in the first place.

That's why I really feel that a demo is important — even if it's supposed to be a triple-A release, it doesn't mean you're guaranteed to like it. And if there is a demo, developers should make it clear whether it is taken from the final game or not. That said, I really feel it is best for a developer to focus on making a demo available that is taken from the final game, as a poor demo can turn people away from something they may have enjoyed.

I've put quite a bit of thought into it, and while I understand why developers especially would rather that scores be abolished and have people make up their own minds based on the text in a review or by playing it themselves, I just can't see it happening. If we must have a scoring system, I think a four point scale works best. A two-point scale—good or bad—just doesn't say enough about a game, and presumably there will still be aggregate sites which would take it as 100/0 and average all the scores out to give another totally meaningless number. Three points is an improvement: good, bad, great, but I don't think that leaves any room to highlight the truly outstanding titles. I think a four-star system with no half points of fractions would work best. 0: Avoid — Reserved only for the truly terrible games. 1: Poor — It's not completely unplayable, but it has a lot of issues. 2: Average — It won't appeal to everyone and may not be your first choice but it's worth playing. 3: Great — It may not be a AAA release but it should appeal to most people. 4: Exceptional — I really feel that a scale should have room to point out something that raises the bar. This should be used sparingly.

Scoring games out of 100, or even 1000 in the case of some sites is absolutely meaningless. I do feel, however, that there is some merit to having a scoring system — just not one that is so finely grained. Enough to give a recommendation at a glance, but not so much as to say ‘this game is X.X% better/worse than that game’ — that has no real value whatsoever.

Anyway, on to message boards. Now, going through my post history, there are quite a lot of things that I have said that I regret. In fact, there have been quite a few things where I've posted them and then almost immediately regretted it, or wondered why I've even said that. When you have been around somewhere like this, it's easy to just get caught up in it all after a while.

Initially when I joined (and before that) I was simply browsing for a long time, as the ‘craziness’ was intimidating. At the beginning I believe that I wasn't posting much, and was being more sensible whenever I did, spending more time helping out in the HDTV topics etc. as it's an area where I have a bit of knowledge and experience. But after a while, you start to realise that due to the sheer volume of posts here, chances are that your voice isn't really getting heard, and even if it is, it's only by a few people before it gets to the next page of posts. With the kinds of username we get here, the avatars people have, and the .gifs that are posted all the time, it's hard to take the place seriously.

Recently, as a few people may have noticed, I've stopped taking things seriously at all. I posted in one of the Metal Gear Solid 4 topics shortly before it came out saying that I wouldn't bother buying the game because it's not 720p native and has framerate problems. Just think about that for a second. Does no-one realise how utterly absurd that is? Despite that, I got the impression that pretty much everyone in that topic thought that I meant it. That people could believe something like this was true says a lot about the place I think.

Not only that, but on NeoGAF, everything has to be black and white. You either love something or you hate it. You're not allowed to be critical and still like a game. As soon as you're critical of it you're labelled a hater and your opinion is no longer valid. I've been labelled a 360 troll, a PS3 troll and a Wii troll in the past because my opinion has not matched up to what the majority of people have been saying.

Now, given my posting history, you might not believe it, but what Denis was talking about is something I have been thinking about lately as well. I think it would be absolutely fantastic to see the kind of changes Denis mentioned such as having people post under their own names rather than using pseudonyms. Where posters are treated with respect like they are other people rather than just some random name on the internet. Where people actually think about what they are going to post and are held accountable for what it is that they say.

I'm not sure I agree with him when he calls GAF a non-profit organisation though. I don't know how things are here, but I run a much smaller forum and I do it to talk about games and other subjects in a small community where we most of us know each other. Even though we don't post under our own names, people are generally treated with respect. Or at least far more than you usually see here. But I don't consider it a business at all, it's just a place where we can get together and chat about things. While NeoGAF is much larger, I get the feeling that most online forums are started because ‘talking about games is fun.’

Now, as for the moderation at NeoGAF, whether you think they're doing a good job or not, I can say from experience that it is very hard. There are only about a hundred or so members on the boards I run and it's hard to know what to do and where to draw the line. You have to have someone come up with the rules in the first place. That in itself is a difficult thing to do, and it is hard to stick to as they may not always apply, or you may not have a rule for a situation you had not anticipated. For example, the recently added rule about not posting other users' personal information.

If you try to please everyone, you end up pleasing no-one. If you try to take a stand on something, then people will disagree, and you can end up driving them away. Unfortunately, not everyone's ideals are the same. What may be acceptable to some people is offensive to others. There have been some things that I have not liked, but have left as people have a right to express themselves, but if people complain, the rules are usually changed if I can see where they are coming from and agree with them on it, but then you have the offenders complaining and so on.

As it's such a small forum I run, I've always tried to keep things running as smoothly as possible and avoid banning people unless we absolutely have to. Doing so has had quite a few people leaving though, unfortunately, despite my best efforts.

As for moderators themselves, well again, I don't know how things are done here on GAF, but certainly on the boards I run, it's simply people that we thought were level-headed posters that had been there a while who we contacted and asked if they would like to help out. Some of these people are/were mods on other forums, so we felt that they would do a good job. They aren't paid for this, they simply do it to help out for the good of the forum. If the rules you have aren't explicit enough though, then their interpretation of what to do in some situations may be different from yours.

Here, it seems like the moderators have the leeway to set their own policy for things at times and don't necessarily have the same opinion on what to do in some situations as you pointed out, where some topics will result in an instant ban for voicing any kind of negative opinion and yet others are left because they find them entertaining.

For people like Garnett, and I assume that there will be many people of the same opinion in here, who say that ‘well this is the internet, that's just how things are’ just ask yourselves—is this what you really want? Do you like how things are with insults flying everywhere and so on, or would you rather that this was a place open to more mature discussion where posters are treated with respect like they are real people? Where your opinion isn't invalidated because it doesn't agree with what someone else thinks?

I, for one, would like to see that kind of change, and it's up to us. No-one is going to make the change for us—if it's something that you want, you'll have to work for. Certainly, rather than thinking ‘it's only GAF, it doesn't matter’ or having a bit of fun with my posts, I'll be taking things a bit more seriously from now on.

What Denis says about message boards having more influence on the industry now does indeed seem to be true, so I think he's right about us having to change things.

I apologise for the length of this post, I didn't realise it was getting this big, but that's my thoughts on everything so far. I may have missed some things, and it could probably be better structured, but it was an hour or so of content to respond to and I can only spend so much time typing up a forum post that probably isn't going to be read by most people here due to its length.

minus_273

Banned
in a nutshell GAF is a playground with anonymous bullies. in addition marketing pays attention to large message boards so the words being said are not without consequence. the people being targeted are not anonymous while those attacking are.

The podcast was interesting. Dyack was right on on a number of points, waayyyy off on a number more.

I'm still very interested in this game, and I suspect that there are many other people on this board who are as well. I've been avoiding this thread because honestly, nearly 2000 posts of finding every gif, or picture or quote to dissect and slam, and giggle over is not my cup of tea. The threads have turned toxic, and to try to make a case for Too Human is as fruitless an endeavor as there ever was.

I think he and some of the people on the boards are overblowing his comments. He does make some points, but I still don't buy his basic arguement that gaf has that much affect on gaming sales.

We should really moderate the idiot game preview sites. I do find it ironic that he mentions that 1up was the one that wrote a true preview of the game, when EGM's e3 preview a couple years back was blamed for too human's poor reception.

I take the forums for what it is, you have to have a mental filter when you read stuff online, but I can see why he would be so enraged.

At the same time, he should know that the game will speak for itself. If its any good then people will end up buying it regardless. It's interesting that people are saying they won't buy the game because of things he said. It really isn't like he is the only guy who made the game. It's a game, not your girlfriend.

Superfrog

andrewfee said:
I apologise for the length of this post, I didn't realise it was getting this big, but that's my thoughts on everything so far.
Why do you apologise?! Your post was a nice read. If people are too lazy to read through it or complain that you didn't bold parts of it, tell them to kindly gtfo.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
kimchimonkey said:
I think he and some of the people on the boards are overblowing his comments. He does make some points, but I still don't buy his basic arguement that gaf has that much affect on gaming sales.

We should really moderate the idiot game preview sites. I do find it ironic that he mentions that 1up was the one that wrote a true preview of the game, when EGM's e3 preview a couple years back was blamed for too human's poor reception.

I take the forums for what it is, you have to have a mental filter when you read stuff online, but I can see why he would be so enraged.

At the same time, he should know that the game will speak for itself. If its any good then people will end up buying it regardless. It's interesting that people are saying they won't buy the game because of things he said. It really isn't like he is the only guy who made the game. It's a game, not your girlfriend.

Denis is making it about himself,

Too Human is NOT the FiRST, NOT the ONLY and NOT the LAST game that will be made fun of(fair or unfair) on this Forum or Any other Forum. Making Fun of a game or Critisizing a game is NOT an internet Thing. Me and my friends do that all the time.

i think Denis is "overblowing" this forum. He dedicated a whole segment of a podcast NOT about his game but about a FORUM(or forum culture)...where people talk, argue, connect about video games and more: Like real life, Feelings can and will get hurt, People will dissagree, some will be followers some wont, people will have fun, people will be made fun of(mostly in good spirit)...ect..ect. i dont see how this forum is a threat to society or gaming industry

I can only speak for myself, but i think most people formed their Positive and Negative opinions on Too Human, based on Previews and Videos they've seen of the game, NOT what Neogaf thinks of the game or NOT what they think of Denis D. Seem like every time threr's critisism of the game there's an excuss that has Nothing to do with the game or the preview code.

hauton

Finally got around to listening to this.

I actually agree with a lot of what he says. He makes a lot of good points.

However, all pretense of being civil, objective and rational goes out the window when you look at his motivations. Which are all personal, irrational and to be honest, fairly petty.

In other words, he's overreacting IMO.

Just like most of you have been with the insults, GIFs, assumptions and other uncalled-for bullshit.

*shrug*

Woffls

Taking up Andrew's point regarding review scores and preview demo's, I think the way the market is developing is good for previews, in that there is an easy platform upon which to release a demo for your game, and this demo can hold more value than any review score ever could, so this is what developers need to be focussing on. Then one must question the validity of a demo as being representative of the game as a whole, the problem being of course that this is a small experience tailored for you by the developer to make you want the game. So we really do need both, we need preview builds and demos, and we need reviews. Reviews need reform as well, but all we can hope for is that other's fall in line with 1up and abolish the current review score system.

I read all of your post, because every paragraph was making sense, and I agree with it entirely. Moderators should take more responsibility in what they do, they have a big responsibility now that forums have grown beyond a dozen guys talking about Mulder every week. That said, it's not easy, much like it's impossible to run a country full of idiots and keep them all happy.

[GAFhate] And this stands to reason entirely, you simply can't control a place like GAF effectively. When I first visited the forum my first thoughts were "Man, what a clusterfuck, where the hell do I talk about Guitar Hero...". A place like this needs to be more segmented, and more discretely organised, rather than having 2000 people talk about games in the same section where the only threads that stay at the top are one's where some kids are bitching about review scores or developers that talk too much. To reform this forum, we need it broken down, I know I wont get support on this, I don't care, but it needs to happen if GAF is going to stay relevant. [/GAFhate]

I'll think of something else to post after this phone call...
No doubt you will have all skipped to the GAFhate bit first.

On a somewhat seperate note, I now want Too Human to do well, Dyack's comments, however completely irrelavent they are to the game, have made me like him, because of what he stands for. Thank you Denis Dyack, for giving a shit about where this bit of the industry is going. And you know what, I didn't care about your game in the slightest until you spoke out on 1up Yours.

Madman

andrewfee said:
*large wall o' text*
Did someone highjack this account? Because the andrewfee I know is one of the worst sufferers of internet syndrome I have seen, the negativity kind that is. The reason people believed your MGS line is because coming from you, that wasn't that surprising. You are probably the biggest graphic whore I've ever seen, unless those countless graphics nitpicking posts were all fake.

Sorry if that came across harsh, but you have quite the reputation.

Kittonwy

Banned
hauton said:
Finally got around to listening to this.

I actually agree with a lot of what he says. He makes a lot of good points.

However, all pretense of being civil, objective and rational goes out the window when you look at his motivations. Which are all personal, irrational and to be honest, fairly petty.

In other words, he's overreacting IMO.

Just like most of you have been with the insults, GIFs, assumptions and other uncalled-for bullshit.

*shrug*

I don't get the whole "GAF can't form opinions on my game" thing when he's asking people to be either "for" or "against" right here in the forum, shouldn't he be suppressing positive opinions as well? Does that mean previews can't be positive either? Or would he like all previews to be positive only? Would it be ok to tell him to his face that from the footage that the gameplay looks crappy?

spwolf

minus_273 said:
in a nutshell GAF is a playground with anonymous bullies. in addition marketing pays attention to large message boards so the words being said are not without consequence. the people being targeted are not anonymous while those attacking are.

maybe. But those people whose games are being marketted here stand to profit from said marketing. Anon posters on gaf do not.

And Gaf is not moderated? Says who? Thats just bullshit.

Sorry but not every game will be loved by everyone here.

When Denis calls for moderation, he basically wants his game talked about as an great game, "probably the best this year".

Sorry Denis, thats not how internet works. Publishers might be able to influence magazines and game websites, but they will never be able to control people's voice on the matter.

bj00rn

Banned
Salazar said:
Yep, and previews should be better, and E3 should be better, and society's adaptation to technological advances should be better, and Epic's support should be better and - gosh - Too Human should be better.

I think that's stretching it a bit far in the context of what this topic is about. You can't really project the rules of ethics/moral/behavior surrounding a topic of moderation onto a quality context in games/technology, it's not exactly the same thing. But yes, of course everything could be better...

Deegs

This is really sad, normally I wouldn't wish a bad return on a developer's game because I am somewhat excited for Too Human but this guy has devolved into almost a professional troll. Kinda like Yahtzee but without the lulz.

Kittonwy said:
I don't get the whole "GAF can't form opinions on my game" thing when he's asking people to be either "for" or "against" right here in the forum, shouldn't he be suppressing positive opinions as well? Does that mean previews can't be positive either? Or would he like all previews to be positive only? Would it be ok to tell him to his face that from the footage that the gameplay looks crappy?

It does make him sound like he is just frustrated with people forming opinions before his game is finished. I think all along that has been his biggest grip. If this is the case he should either grow thicker skin or get a clause with his publisher to never show his game until it ships. Maybe he was just living a sheltered life working for Nintendo who is very controlling and methodical about their games before release press wise.

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
I think Denis' overall point is actually valid. Which is to say that the anonymity and facelessness of internet communication has led to a lack of civility and is actually damaging to society. Spend five minutes reading the Democratic Underground, the DailyKos, or right wing political message boards and the hate and vitriol expressed on those boards has spilled over into society in ways that aren't good for society. They affect the people who read those boards (I say this as someone who USED to post and read on boards like that) in negative ways and actually make you feel worse about a situation than is actually warranted. I had to learn that the gravity of what was being said there was completely insignificant. The problem is not everyone has come to this realization yet, and until they do it does damage society temporarily. When most of the population comes to the realization that seasoned message board posters have, then the problem dissolves.

However, that this damage when extrapolated to gaming is doing real societal damage is taking it pretty far. Further, Denis brought this whole thing himself by going about it in this way. Before he came out with the digital line thing, I had no idea that Too Human was receiving negative comments on Gaf and I read the boards every day. Honestly I think most people tend to ignore that stuff until the actual game comes out.

By speaking out on this subject at this time he definitely did damage to his game. It's not the message board that is responsible for the damage, but the way and the time in which he addressed the issue. I think most reviewers now have a negative opinion of this game because he came out like this and focused the negative energy of a few gaffers into a laser of his own doing that has now spread to the consciousness of all gaming enthusiasts on the net. That cancerous nugget that he created is now in the mind of all reviewers.

So Denis, I get your point, but you're totally wrong in thinking something can or should be done about it. There has been vitriolic speech going on since the inception of free speech. Early on in US history people feared that the papers being written by the early political parties were going to destroy society. Those papers were every bit as vitriolic, if not more, than what is said on internet message boards, and they also had more gravity because fewer people had access to the technology that allowed for the distribution of those papers. It took time for people to understand and put that speech into proper perspective. The people needed to learn how much weight and how seriously to take those papers.

We live at a time when there has been another revolution in communication and speech, and it's just going to take time for people to learn how to process this speech, and what gravity we should assign to it. Shutting the speech down is simply unacceptable. Instead you, and most people, need to learn how to process it, and what gravity it should have. By posting the original message, and going on 1up and giving it so much attention, you have attributed significant gravity to the small amount of negativity a few individuals had about your game. You exposed this with initial for or against thread, where most people were for it, until you said put up or shut up. Then you turned people against it by being a hoser with a "yo mamma" type comment. In other words, you listened to a few vocal people being negative about your game and took it personally and then you responded, turning the general positive opinion of the game that most people who weren't commenting or thinking about your game yet, into a negative one.

In time most people in society will learn to assign very little gravity to internet message boards, in fact I think most people who regularly post on the net have realized this fact. If Bush, Obama, or McCain read internet message boards and tried to respond to them in any way, not only would it damage them far more than the original postings, but their heads would explode trying to process all of the noise. Denis, you have to ignore the noise, it's the only answer. If you ignore it, it's gravity remains very low. I think you disagree with that, but I think you're wrong. I don't think you've learned how to put an appropriate weight on what's being said on internet message boards. Most people realize a few negative impressions of a game by a few people means nothing to them, which is probably why I didn't pay any attention to those negative opinions until you told me that I should.

Also, with regard to tags on NeoGaf, people who come here know what they are getting into. If they say something stupid or make a big claim, the KNOW that there's a chance they're going to get a demeaning tag. I think MOST people here actually take great pride in having a tag at all, even if it's demeaning.

theBishop

Banned
drakesfortune said:
I think Denis' overall point is actually valid. Which is to say that the anonymity and facelessness of internet communication has led to a lack of civility and is actually damaging to society. Spend five minutes reading the Democratic Underground, the DailyKos, or right wing political message boards and the hate and vitriol expressed on those boards has spilled over into society in ways that aren't good for society. They affect the people who read those boards (I say this as someone who USED to post and read on boards like that) in negative ways and actually make you feel worse about a situation than is actually warranted. I had to learn that the gravity have what was being said there was completely insignificant.

On the contrary. If we had even a fraction of that vitriol in real life, our leaders might think twice before shitting all over us.

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
theBishop said:
On the contrary. If we had even a fraction of that vitriol in real life, our leaders might think twice before shitting all over us.

Or everyone would be so focused on negative things that it would be impossible for them to be happy. I think the less power we give the government over our daily lives the less they can shit on us and the happier we can be. The constant focus on how shitty you think something is, is not healthy for you as a person.

Instead we should be informed, write our congressmen/senators on issues that matter to us, and vote accordingly.

Also you make the mistake of thinking that everyone feels as vitriolic as you do, and in the same direction. For everyone who feels hateful and vitriolic one way about any given issue, there is almost certainly someone on the other end of the spectrum who feels equally as passionately about the issue. So to spend your days focused on your vitriol and hate is a completely dissatisfying way to live. You almost never get your way, and when you do it's by building a coalition of people who feel much less strongly about your issues, and who will likely not be with you tomorrow anyway.

pachuco

I like Dennis Dyack, he seems like an interesting person. I have enjoyed many of the games his company makes, but he seems to be making up excuses for not being able to stay out of forums. Yes, GAF does have credibility in the industry, but like many things on the internet or in the digital age it will fold. GAF isn't going to be around forever. People will move to other forums or websites to access information on games, whether Dyack thinks GAF is imploding on itself for not properly policing its forums.

drohne said:
an aversion to dyack's lecturing style is not 'anti-intellectual' -- his parody of scholarship poses more of a threat to the intellect than stupid gaf one-liners. he gleans a shallow idea or two from each of several books he's recently read -- this drucker seems to yield the idea that organizations must do good -- and applies them in some questionable way to his ongoing apology for himself. and he does this with indecent volubility. this method doesn't inspire thought or assent or dissent; it inspires stupefaction. i haven't read the books he's got his hands on now, so i can't evaluate his grasp of them, but in the past he's revealed a poor acquaintance with the names he drops.

after listening to that podcast, though, i'm unsure whether he behaves this way out of a desire to impress or just an eccentric kind of enthusiasm -- reading his interviews, i was sure it was entirely the former

i've read drucker as part of my manager's, uh, acumen, and it's hardly rocket science. drucker's contribution to the philosophy of management is a sort of shaky but useful epistemology to justify the existence of management, as it were. most of it is simply codified common sense, but since, as the blue ocean's own iwata says, "no kid ever grows up dreaming of management," it doesn't hurt to have it written down, either. where drucker falls apart is when he veers from practical observations about the nature of hierarchies and the complex relationship between the employer and the employed -- when he instead starts to put a moralist's (rather than a pragmatist's) spin on the nature of business, since he slips from the language of sociology/anthropology into the language of dogma, and his logic becomes tenuous at best. no surprise that's what dyack would react the most strongly too, of course; he really, really wants a god on his side in this little crusade.

GAF TURNED SEARCHING OFF!!!!! SHUT THIS FORUM DOWN. it is only readable when i can search on the decent posters' last posts!

DENIS WE ARE BROTHERS IN THIS

Bloodwake

I listened to part of this, I will listen to the rest of it.

Seriously, this is a message board. Do we really need some in depth college level analysis of how it's going to fail because the board hates your game? Shit.

pachuco

theBishop said:

Wouldn't this mean that any kind of partisan support on the internet or in the home, watching CNN or Fox News, is encouraging the same kind of angry, uninformed discussions that we have already.

Deku

Banned
drakesfortune said:
I think Denis' overall point is actually valid. Which is to say that the anonymity and facelessness of internet communication has led to a lack of civility and is actually damaging to society. Spend five minutes reading the Democratic Underground, the DailyKos, or right wing political message boards and the hate and vitriol expressed on those boards has spilled over into society in ways that aren't good for society. They affect the people who read those boards (I say this as someone who USED to post and read on boards like that) in negative ways and actually make you feel worse about a situation than is actually warranted. I had to learn that the gravity of what was being said there was completely insignificant. The problem is not everyone has come to this realization yet, and until they do it does damage society temporarily. When most of the population comes to the realization that seasoned message board posters have, then the problem dissolves.

The problem with those boards can be group think. And likeminded people speaking exclusively to each other can create more radical positions. And they are about real issues, not something as insignificant as gaming and who is on top today.

I don't think the GAF format suffers from this. The anonimity is part of the bargain, but 2ch has existed with higher levels of anonymity. They seem to have been able to survive it just fine.

What GAF is though, from what I can see, is that we've become the focus group and perhaps the source of many of the talking points from the industry types. I'd often see an argument made here then see them repeated again by the journalists then to the PR people.

At that point I wonder who is pulling whose strings. There's lots of people here invested in what they like and we're actually quite vulnerable to deliberate manipulation by corporations and their public relations apparatus and people don't seem to realize it.

Deku said:
At that point I wonder who is pulling whose strings. There's lots of people here invested in what they like and we're actually quite vulnerable to deliberate manipulation by corporations and their public relations apparatus and people don't seem to realize it.

this is the demi factor

Azih

Honestly anybody who accuses GAF of groupthink doesn't know what the hell they're talking about. It's only in rare cases that most of the gaming forum on GAF agrees on anything. It's an extremely rare event for any form of consensus to be reached on the gaming forum.

Brannon

Azih said:
Honestly anybody who accuses GAF of groupthink doesn't know what the hell they're talking about. It's only in rare cases that most of the gaming forum on GAF agrees on anything. It's an extremely rare event for any form of consensus to be reached on the gaming forum.

Seriously. Even when there is a large consensus of agreement, there's just as large an anti-group just waiting for the right time to strike. 'Backlash', as it were, but it happens. A swirling mass of hate and love that ultimately gets distilled into a pure form. Kane and Lynch (is this still censored?) is a recent example. Dogpiled upon in the past, now seen as very flawed but with some redeeming qualities (Heat: The Game).

Sometimes, as in K&L, it just takes a little longer.

There is order in this chaos. Somehow!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom