• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 PC Beta Thread - Codes are redeemable, preload starts Friday 25th, 10AM PDT

Godan

So not picked up my pc copy yet but does your character progress continue over into the main game from the BETA?

Pachimari

What stores give code for beta? Does GMG offer that?
Not too keen on paying so much for the game as it'll be super expensive later on with all expansions, CDKeys has it for half what other places do but doesn't have beta key.

Would be one day late, I'm in middle of stuff and got Monday free but lots of stuff to do and not home until Friday so I'd like to play it tonight if possible, thus the situation.
You can pre-order it on Amazon US and get a beta code for today's closed beta? I got the code straight away.

Kudo

You can pre-order it on Amazon US and get a beta code for today's closed beta? I got the code straight away.

Sadly, I'm EU and it seems like the game has some sort of region locking? At least CDKeys mentions the key only works for Europe.
Thanks though.

daxy

So not picked up my pc copy yet but does your character progress continue over into the main game from the BETA?

You start with a specced out and static character afaik, so there's no 'progress' to be made.

Sadly, I'm EU and it seems like the game has some sort of region locking? At least CDKeys mentions the key only works for Europe.
Thanks though.

Pretty sure beta keys are global.

Tovarisc

Not too keen on paying so much for the game as it'll be super expensive later on with all expansions, CDKeys has it for half what other places do but doesn't have beta key.

GMG at least mentions on their store page for the game that they would give out keys for beta.

Pachimari

Thanks though.
I'm in EU too. You can get your beta code from Amazon US, and cancel the pre-order if you don't want the game. It's not region locked? You can choose any region in the Battle.net app.

Kudo

I'm in EU too. You can get your beta code from Amazon US, and cancel the pre-order if you don't want the game. It's not region locked? You can choose any region in the Battle.net app.

PC of course, okay this sounds great, thanks a lot, giving it a go.

There's no progression since the characters you make in the beta are preset level 20 by default.

So no, you can't import your character from the beta to the main game.

Kudo

Just ordered from Amasson, how long did it take for you for the code to arrive?

If its not region locked, why does CDkeys say European locked? Has anyone in NA ordered Destiny 2 off CDKeys?

daxy

If its not region locked, why does CDkeys say European locked? Has anyone in NA ordered Destiny 2 off CDKeys?

Edit: Scrap what I said before--I thought Amazon sold PC codes as well, but it's only PS4 ones. CDkeys typically scans the keys from retail copies in countries where retail prices are cheap and then resells them. It's possible that CDkeys is just trying to insure themselves against keys being unable to be activated in regions outside of Europe, due to their copies most likely being from European retail boxes and the wording of the Destiny 2 region FAQ seems to imply that games can only be unlocked in the regions they are purchased in.

You used to be able to buy games from Blizzard in another region, e.g. buy in USD while being in Europe, to save some money. Hence, there was not much of a distinction between regions for digital content. What the situation is now with Destiny nobody seems to know for sure.

There was a topic about it recently in the Blizzard forums, which was a bit ambiguous but does seem to imply as much. On GMG, however, it says that the game can only be activated in the region it was purchased in, so perhaps 'retail' is to be taken more broadly and the 'region' your code will be usable in is locked at purchase, even digitally.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/bnet/topic/20758125801

https://support.activision.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/Destiny-2-PC-Region-Definitions
The Retail PC version of Destiny 2 can only be activated in the region in which it was purchased.

Beta codes work globally.

Retail copies are region locked, digital codes are not. CDkeys scans the keys from retail copies in countries where retail prices are cheap and then resells them. Amazon provides you with an actual 'digital' key.

Ah I see. Guess I will GMG then.

garath

Doing this during the week stinks.

I can't play tonight or wed night. I pre-ordered from Best Buy because I am excited for it but I'm going to get so little hands on time. :(

Just have to hope it's good.

I am buying it as I love "loot-based" games, however I find it weird there is no loot in the beta. Isnt that the main draw of this game? I have never played Destiny 1.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Okay that sounds better, I just want to get a feel of how loot drops and whatnot. I guess I will find out tonight.

This is more of a network test for them. They want to keep as much of the progression secret as they can before launch as to not ruin the excitement of discovering new loot.

120v

welp because of the hurricane i'm flooded in, so a mixed blessing. D2 all day baby

just hope electricity can hold

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop

No offense, but why do people always ask this question? To my knowledge, it is never true. Why would you carry over your character for any game from a beta to release?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Almost time boys, really hope this is good. 6pm is perfect for me too, that's when I settle down after making dinner :D

Godan

No offense, but why do people always ask this question? To my knowledge, it is never true. Why would you carry over your character for any game from a beta to release?

Why would you not? Few mmo's i have played in the past gave you beta access the week before the game came out or 3 to 4 days before it so it was more like early access but they still named it beta.

Also noticed that PC aint out for another month or so. So yeah not gona rush to buy it just now i think.

Kudo

16gb.

Just cancel it and get it from Amazon com. I'm in Europe and got the code instantly and it's global so it works.

I did use Amazon.com, so I'm running out of free options.
Haven't cancelled the order yet in hopes it just pops up randomly.

Kudo

I got an email before the confirmation email that said: benefits. Can't help more than that :(

Thanks for the info.
Few hours now after the order and Chat Support told me it can take 24-48 hours until I get the key, so might as well cancel it now.

jaosobno

For those of you that want to get into beta a day early, if you can't get codes from Amazon and other shops, you can always buy one from ebay. Price range is $1-2.

Got one myself today, arrived after 30 minutes (some sellers have automated delivery system which should be even faster). Redeemed it from Bungie.net and then got a new code for Battle.net. Redeemed that one too and now D2 beta is added to my library.

If Bungie allowed open beta preload I wouldn't buy one, but I have precious little gaming time so every minute counts. After all, it's 16 GB download.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Why would you not? Few mmo's i have played in the past gave you beta access the week before the game came out or 3 to 4 days before it so it was more like early access but they still named it beta.

Also noticed that PC aint out for another month or so. So yeah not gona rush to buy it just now i think.

Poor wording on my part. Rather, why would the let you carry over your character? Yeah, that's definitely more early access than an actual beta.

Top Bottom