• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 Review Thread

Raven117

What bullshit did destiny 1 have? I thought the main gripe was that too much was missing. There was hardly bullshit in what was considered a light-content game at the time.

There was no bullshit that I remember across my 1.3k hours...

There were only two real points of bull shit for me in Destiny 1:
(1) The farming loops for materials to upgrade even ONE piece of gear. Man...this was punative. It changed with Crotas End, but wow. This was crazy grind right here.

(2) The disrespect of time of the player due to all Exotics being very random. Don't get me wrong, this spurred hours of me chasing the carrots, but the issue is that some of these carrots were damn well close to being necessary to PUG (Icebreaker, G-horn). You could have one player playing 200 hours and one player at 30, and with one lucky drop of a Ghorn, the 30 hour player is more sough after than the 200 hour one. This was silly.

Other than that. I liked the way they did it after TTK (and 100% infusion).

Sjefen

Damn these reviews are killing me, didnt want to add another game to my backlog, but I need another shooter besides Battlefield 1.

MarcusB

Banned
Damn these reviews are killing me, didnt want to add another game to my backlog, but I need another shooter besides Battlefield 1.

Lol, I have a huge backlog, but I do need a good shooter as well. I had planned to "wait" a while before buying Destiny 2, but reading all the posts on NeoGaf is making me crumble...I'm weak! :)

Peroroncino

I don't think Destiny is the kind of game where you can nonchalantly state:

"It's Destiny, without all the bullshit."

without playing it for an extensive period of time... besides, it's polygon, so that's another red flag for me there.

Ignoring that though, I like what I'm seeing, especially the improved story and campaign overall, so I'm definitely jumping in.

gatti-man

Still not buying it day 1. I'll wait for them to release the rest of the game.

This comment is beyond stupid. It's a full game and when you wait for DLC you've essentially lost that 6 months of experiences in the old content. It's like waiting for wow to stop expanding to buy the full game.

Manbig

I don't think Destiny is the kind of game where you can nonchalantly state:

without playing it for an extensive period of time... besides, it's polygon, so that's another red flag for me there.

Exactly.

"all of the bullshit" can mean something completely different to them than it does to me. Speaking for myself, I thought that the main problems with Destiny 1 at launch were how incredibly thin the end game was, and how poorly it handled gear overall, and I don't just mean the purple engram to blue gear thing either. The rare and legendary weapons didn't feel very unique, and it was just all a game of numbers. If I wanted gear handled like that, I'd go play Diablo 3. At least they did a better job with that framework.

I'll check back on this one in a few weeks to see how people are feeling. Hope for the best.

RedAssedApe

Banned
This comment is beyond stupid. It's a full game and when you wait for DLC you've essentially lost that 6 months of experiences in the old content. It's like waiting for wow to stop expanding to buy the full game.

its not THAT illogical for the people who bought vanilla destiny...and felt burned. Considering how people seem to have praised Taken King as having fixed alot of issues with the game.

On that note. I pre-ordered last night lol. I was gonna wait for reviews but seems like those probably won't be out for a few days?

eizarus

Banned
OJkqkxX.gif

MaKTaiL

I'm watching some streams. Honestly? I'm trying but all I see is Destiny 1. Menus are the same, sound effects are the same, textures are the same, the UI is the same. Like, they didn't even try to set it apart from the original in any way. Most of the missions are as simple as hold this position again, go to next point, press square, go to next point, hold position, kill boss.

I've played more than 1000h+ on Destiny 1 and I was looking for something more than a repeat of the same old tropes. Space battle, intregrated social space with open world, new enemies to kill (new race for that matter), among other things. The fact is: I don't see why this couldn't have been released as an Expansion for Destiny 1. (of course, they wanted to sell more). Well, to anyone still getting this, I hope you have fun either way. I'm done with the franchise.

I think I am going spoiler senile. I dont even want to read reviews because i want to find out all the QoL improvements on my own.

I am only 30. I dont even want to know what i will be like when i hit 60.

Don't worry, bro...I'm the same way. 28 years old and avoid spoilers like the plague. I don't watch any video reviews. I don't read reviews. I just look at the scores and the summary paragraphs. The only footage I watch of a game pre-release is its E3 and/or PSX content. No preview videos or articles leading up to the game release.

It might sound ridiculous, but I end up having better experiences with the games. So much more special finding out the little surprises, game mechanics, and locations while playing the games. I never used to be this way, but have slowly reached this point over the years.

I'm watching some streams. Honestly? I'm trying but all I see is Destiny 1. Menus are the same, sound effects are the same, textures are the same, the UI is the same. Like, they didn't even try to set it apart from the original in any way. Most of the missions are as simple as hold this position again, go to next point, press square, go to next point, hold position, kill boss.

I've played more than 1000h+ on Destiny 1 and I was looking for something more than a repeat of the same old tropes. Space battle, intregrated social space with open world, new enemies to kill (new race for that matter), among other things. The fact is: I don't see why this couldn't have been released as an Expansion for Destiny 1. (of course, they wanted to sell more). Well, to anyone still getting this, I hope you have fun either way. I'm done with the franchise.

Well.... Bye, I guess.

Ushay

I'll take a wait and see approach, Destiny really let me down the first go around. But this all sounds very positive.

120v

pretty much what i expected, and wanted. destiny was good but need a clean slate, not a revolution

as much as i enjoyed destiny i quit about 6 months in anticipating this sort of sequel was imminent. glad my gamble paid off

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Can Destiny 2 be played solo off-line? Thanks.

anothertech

Well, to anyone still getting this, I hope you have fun either way. I'm done with the franchise.
Maybe we should ignore all the professional reviewers praise, just take your anecdotal twitch stream experience for granted and jump ship too right? Cause this could just be an expansion for d1? Cause there's nothing new here? Smh

Synless

I want to believe. The marketing for this game though has turned me off however. The too cool smart ass character in the commercial really pisses me off.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks guys. Appreciate the quick replies.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
What bullshit did destiny 1 have? I thought the main gripe was that too much was missing. There was hardly bullshit in what was considered a light-content game at the time.

There was no bullshit that I remember across my 1.3k hours...

My reasons for quitting after hitting level cap launch weekend...(never played beyond vanilla so presume some of the below may have been addressed in TTK+?)

-Flimsy nonsensical narrative with the helpful codex not included in-game.
-Dull and repetitive mission design. (Similar looking environments and near identical/predictable encounter flow)
-Forced loooong loadtimes back and forth from the social space just to do basic upkeep and choose a new mission.
-Loot was mostly trash. (Or at least the methods to obtaining and upgrading equipment was not worth revisiting THIS content ad nauseum)
-Open world zones were a slog to trudge through with such limited variety in public quests. (Little variety or anything of interest to keep attention between the spawn slaughters)

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I don't really want to read reviews or watch anything until it hits PC, but it seems people are enjoying it from the quotes. I just hope there's loads of PvE content as the PvP was so average in the beta. I'm mostly in for the campaign as I really enjoyed that in the beta.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
You can play solo on the campaign (and patrol I believe) without PS+ but if you want to matchmaker PVP or strikes then you need PS+

Thats a good news. I might not get this at launch but if I ever do good thing I dont have to worry about getting PS+.

"Destiny without all the bullshit" doesn't exactly sell me on it, as someone who was burnt out after The Taken King.

Eager to see the impressions 2 weeks in.
I'm one of those weirdos that had the most fun with Destiny before The Taken King though, so I already know Destiny 2 isn't for me.

I read a few of the reviews. Unfortunately I did not find the words:

"Added the ability to kick people during strikes."
"Added the ability to actually find out when the game is matchmaking you with another player in case your whole team ditches the strike and you don't wanna start over at the last fight."

I'll probably be waiting for more in depth reviews instead of buying it the first day.

TyrantII

Still not buying it day 1. I'll wait for them to release the rest of the game.

Well... You don't really understand what the game is then.

This now, with your tight fireteam is the full game. With the friends you'll make.

Whatever is released 2-3 years from now as the complete package is... Missing all the experiences you never had.

That's your prerogative. But you can't get it back playing old content alone and over leveled.

Ramirez

I read a few of the reviews. Unfortunately I did not find the words:

"Added the ability to kick people during strikes."
"Added the ability to actually find out when the game is matchmaking you with another player in case your whole team ditches the strike and you don't wanna start over at the last fight."

I'll probably be waiting for more in depth reviews instead of buying it the first day.

They would never add the ability to kick people from Strikes, it would be abused and a miserable experience for solo players.

How's the load times? Destiny 1 had such annoyingly long load times.

Just from watching a few Patrol videos, you can pretty much fast travel across the patrol map instantly without going back to orbit, so it seems much improved in that aspect.

Top Bottom