• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 Review Thread

orborborb

I've just about given up searching for reviews that even notice let alone say anything intelligent about level design, exploration, and atmosphere, or the risks and rewards of moment-to-moment gameplay decisions. But everybody's an expert when it comes to the idiotic comic book stories, immersion-destroying 'quality of life' features, or esports metagame 'balance' garbage.

I mean it's a loot co-op shooter. It's going to get grindy no matter what at a certain point. Borderlands does, Division does, etc.

"Grind" is a central aspect for these types of games. If you aren't into that aspect then these games probably aren't for you

With that said pretty much all these reviews seem to be praising the campaign quality

Oh that's very true and speaking of Borderlands, I'm playing the second one as we speak but somehow it doesn't bore me. But after I had played the strikes and the missions in Destiny and killed the bosses several times I was just done with it. It does sound like the campaign here is worth it.

Blueblur1

Its too early to call. People here are repeatedly quoting the "It’s Destiny, without all the bullshit" tagline but I'm sure there's some negatives will come as we learn more about the game. (Especially considering how particular folks on NeoGAF can be.)

What I'm saying is temper your expectations, folks.

Saganator

Its too early to call. People here are repeatedly quoting the "It’s Destiny, without all the bullshit" tagline but I'm sure there's some negatives will come as we learn more about the game. (Especially considering how particular folks on NeoGAF can be.)

Yup. Expecting the typical GAF high and inevitable come down. Not saying people will end up hating the game, just been here long enough to not let the hype get me. Got burned by Destiny 1 GAF hype and ended up shooting at a cave for hours.

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
I've just about given up searching for reviews that even notice let alone say anything intelligent about level design, exploration, and atmosphere, or the risks and rewards of moment-to-moment gameplay decisions. But everybody's an expert when it comes to the idiotic comic book stories, immersion-destroying 'quality of life' features, or esports metagame 'balance' garbage.

Karak from ACG is about your best bet for that kind of stuff - he's super thorough - but I don't know if his review has dropped yet.

MaKTaiL

I'm not going to get it at launch but good luck to anyone jumping into it now. I'll see you guys in the TTK 2 next year.

Yup. Expecting the typical GAF high and inevitable come down. Not saying people will end up hating the game, just been here long enough to not let the hype get me. Got burned by Destiny 1 GAF hype and ended up shooting at a cave for hours.

Yeah, it looks like a great improvement but I'm sure people will be pissed about certain things.

I know I'm already pissed about the supposed 8(!) PvP maps on launch (9 for PS4 but I'm going PC). That's simply not enough maps if that's true. How many did the original launch with?

edit: I'm not 100% on this, I got this information from the spoiler thread. Figured it was fine to mention here though since it's not really much of a spoiler itself.

Gator86

Agreed. It seems like they've fixed a shit-ton of stuff. Buuuuut they also removed customization from builds, gun randomization, etc. I'm curious whether the intense collapsing of almost all the customization is outweighed by improved balance and such.

So coop campaign or not ?
untitledwesr6.png

ethomaz

Banned

Too early? Destiny already proved itself since 2014.

Well we recently had a major console manufacturer attempt to sell an always online console that restricted you from lending game discs out to friends, so after that I could believe almost anything these companies might do.The sources were IGN and the Prima strategy guide so it was somewhat believable at the time.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1427825

When was this believable? An online co op shooter is going single player first? i just cant believe the rumor had to be debunked. And your hate on Xbox is so strong i feel as though you dont even like Destiny...sounds like the initial rumor was GAF overhype...iam shocked

Robiin

How is Destiny 2 as a strictly single player game? Should I play Doom and Titanfall 2 first, which are still unopened? I loved Diablo 3 solo.

ZeoVGM

Banned
The ๖ۜBronx;247960055 said:
Mind quoting the relevant part at all, or summarizing? I've been curious about it but want to avoid other spoilers that may be in articles.

I haven't been following it, how do they work?

"Style conscious Guardians note too that you can change the colour of your guns and gear individually just like Chroma. These use shaders, which now come in bundles of 5. Keep in mind though that once you’ve added a shader, you’ll destroy it if you switch it out, meaning that the style-conscious are going to find the preview button exceptionally useful. Not ideal for those who want to change for the Raid and then change back."

Crash331

Haha, that was nobody's fault but your own. It was obvious after 10 minutes that the loot cave was just a sham that was hyped up by the internet. Playing regularly got you much better items.

"Style conscious Guardians note too that you can change the colour of your guns and gear individually just like Chroma. These use shaders, which now come in bundles of 5. Keep in mind though that once you've added a shader, you'll destroy it if you switch it out, meaning that the style-conscious are going to find the preview button exceptionally useful. Not ideal for those who want to change for the Raid and then change back."

With you on that then, thanks. Any benefit in customization is going to be obscured by the fact I now need to pick and choose what armour I use what shaders on. That's going to suck for progression, because I can bet I'll use the one I like on some armour and then find a new set a few hours later. Obviously calling it before I've tried it but on the face of it seems to do away with what I liked about them in D1 (being able to change styles at a whim).

Z3M0G

I am fine with that.

The other two elements can be resolved by playing with clanmates but I can definitely see what a pain this would be for those solo-ing.

Possibly already fixed. These reviews are from a review event a month ago... they will be playing a very different game once the servers are live (if they are not already).

Buddy and I went to the store to pick the game up (well he was, I got Knack), only to be told it releases tomorrow.

Crash331

How is Destiny 2 as a strictly single player game? Should I play Doom and Titanfall 2 first, which are still unopened? I loved Diablo 3 solo.

I would say Doom and Titanfall 2 are probably going to be a much better single-player experience.

"Style conscious Guardians note too that you can change the colour of your guns and gear individually just like Chroma. These use shaders, which now come in bundles of 5. Keep in mind though that once you’ve added a shader, you’ll destroy it if you switch it out, meaning that the style-conscious are going to find the preview button exceptionally useful. Not ideal for those who want to change for the Raid and then change back."

Wait so shaders are consumable now? That seems...odd.

border

I liked Destiny 1 a lot, but I don't see how you can trust reviews where players never even finished the campaign or touched the endgame.

If you find QoL features that makes navigating the game less frustrating as a big problem, that's on you

I'm sure most people don't want to go back to the old days of having to go to orbit to start activities/turning in bounties and so forth

ZeoVGM

Banned
The ๖ۜBronx;247966133 said:
With you on that then, thanks. Any benefit in customization is going to be obscured by the fact I now need to pick and choose what armour I use what shaders on. That's going to suck for progression, because I can bet I'll use the one I like on some armour and then find a new set a few hours later. Obviously calling it before I've tried it but on the face of it seems to do away with what I liked about them in D1 (being able to change styles at a whim).

Yeah, that seems like a massive miscalcuation.

Players want to be able to just swap on the fly. You shouldn't lose a damn shader for changing it.

Tomeru

What bullshit did destiny 1 have? I thought the main gripe was that too much was missing. There was hardly bullshit in what was considered a light-content game at the time.

There was no bullshit that I remember across my 1.3k hours...

I haven't played Destiny 2 yet, but both Doom and Titanfall 2 have exceptional campaigns. I can't imagine Destiny 2 competing with either or those.

What bullshit did destiny 1 have? I thought the main gripe was that too much was missing. There was hardly bullshit in what was considered a light-content game at the time.

There was no bullshit that I remember across my 1.3k hours...

Firing into a cave for hours to get mad loots?

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't a lot of the "bullshit" in Destiny after the story ended?

I'm glad that it's reviewing well, but I'm personally not particularly interested in what seems to amount to a campaign review.

Tunavi

Banned
I liked Destiny 1 a lot, but I don't see how you can trust reviews where players never even finished the campaign or touched the endgame.
game reviews are bullshit anyway. I feel most reviewers play for 3 hours and then rush out a review

rNilla

Was it complicated? I didn't play much Destiny 1, but most MMO's have some variation of aggregate 'item level' to ensure base stats are capable of handling endgame content.

Not really but it became more nuanced to the point that changing weapons and cosmetic items could significantly affect your light level. I get where it comes from but didn't like being limited to certain weapons and cloaks to maximize Light.

Top Bottom