• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 Review Thread

renzolama

I donno. I think anyone who played Destiny 1 at launch start to "finish" probably knows.

Knows what? What a single polygon writer considers bullshit in Destiny 1? Have you actually read the content there, because the writer never comes close to actually contextualizing that back-of-the-box nonsense line.

"But while I have some sense of what I'll be doing after I hit level 20 in Destiny 2, I don't know if that grind will feel fun."

Hmm...

alt27

Knows what? What a single polygon writer considers bullshit in Destiny 1? Have you actually read the content there, because the writer never comes close to actually contextualizing that back-of-the-box nonsense line.

"But while I have some sense of what I’ll be doing after I hit level 20 in Destiny 2, I don’t know if that grind will feel fun."

Hmm...

Because he couldnt play anything after the campaign so he doesnt know (dont think he could even finish the campaign).

But what is the bullshit? No more reused areas? No random loot in PvP?
This was the only cited example of the bullshit, from the review:

Destiny's most annoying leveling quirk is gone in Destiny 2

Destiny was full of maddening design decisions, choices that seemed like they had been made to pad out a shallow game and extend its punishing grind (if not to actively frustrate its players). Thankfully, one of the more aggravating elements of the way Destiny handled leveling has been fixed for Destiny 2, developer Bungie announced on Twitter yesterday.

”PSA: In [Destiny 2] it's no longer advantageous to equip your most powerful gear when decrypting Engrams," said Mark Noseworthy, project lead on Destiny 2, on Twitter last night. ”We check for your best possible loadout now."

In an attempt to not sound like a dick, but i am going to sound like a dick. Who the hell would even give that rumor the time of day?
Well we recently had a major console manufacturer attempt to sell an always online console that restricted you from lending game discs out to friends, so after that I could believe almost anything these companies might do.The sources were IGN and the Prima strategy guide so it was somewhat believable at the time.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1427825

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
What bs did Destiny 1 have? I only played a bit of the game when taken king was released.

I quit Destiny 1 during launch weekend but what I recall...(longtime fans probably can add to the list)

-Flimsy nonsensical narrative with the codex for helpfully parsing any of it not included in-game.
-Dull and repetitive mission design.
-Forced loooong loadtimes back and forth from the social space just to do basic upkeep and choose a new mission.
-Loot was mostly trash.
-Open world zones were a slog to trudge and backtrack through each visit with limited variety in public quests.

illamap

is there any info yet on how long the unique content is in destiny 2? i liked the first game but the mission structure plus how fast you could go through all the content left me disappointed. any idea if there is actually a lot of content on destiny 2?

Polygon estimated that they were allowed 3/4 of the campaign and ign said they played 8 hours of campaign, so my estimate is 12 hours of campaign content.

ethomaz

Banned
Destiny was the game that defined the generation for me.

My GOTY 2014.

Now reviewers are saying it is even better?

1670335_stock-photo-thermometer---excitement-level-high-anticipation.jpg

"But while I have some sense of what I’ll be doing after I hit level 20 in Destiny 2, I don’t know if that grind will feel fun."

Hmm...

Well don't get up my ass mister, I didn't read the whole review. I'm just saying D1 had its moments.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I think I am going spoiler senile. I dont even want to read reviews because i want to find out all the QoL improvements on my own.

I am only 30. I dont even want to know what i will be like when i hit 60.

Let's be real guys, this is Bungie, this is Destiny. There will still be some bullshit. However it sounds like the truly egregious stuff is out, letting the mechanics of the game shine far brighter.

Crash331

He's right though. The actual text summary of his review leans more towards that it MIGHT be Destiny without the bullshit.

Yeah, it sounds like he just played the initial story content and not the post-story grind, which is where 98% of Destiny's gameplay actually happened.

br3wnor

I'd like to play it, but I've got so much to play and so little time to play that I'm thinking I will just wait for a complete edition later.

That’s my problem. Sci Fi MMO is so up my alley but at this point I get maybe 10 hours of PS4 play a week, on a good week, and I have such a backlog to get through (thanks summer PSN sales). Gonna enjoy reading the OP and follow the game but don’t see myself getting it for a while.

The Verge impressions made me very hopeful. Seems like it’ll be worth $60 just to play it to the end game, which works for me since I won’t have the time necessary for end game grinding.

Vlodril

Polygon estimated that they were allowed 3/4 of the campaign and ign said they played 8 hours of campaign, so my estimate is 12 hours of campaign content.

is that only campaign or patros strikes etc included. i am looking for something like division time wise which co-op took us about 30 hours.

Ploid 3.0

I think I'm going to get this on PC and I'm not a FPS fan. I must do more research, I'm interested in the loot aspect, though the raids on Destiny 1 look annoying. The mechanics and figuring out what they are looked like something I wouldn't want to touch.

Tell me experts. Will I be super frustrated to buy ot on Xbox One OG due to 30 fps and shit?

One X is also 30 fps, so unless you're considering PC, 30 fps is the only option.

Millions of people will play it at 30 fps with no problems. Millions of us played D1 at 30 fps and it was alright.

Now that I've tried it on PC though, there's no way I could ever go back personally.

I think I'm going to get this on PC and I'm not a FPS fan. I must do more research, I'm interested in the loot aspect, though the raids on Destiny 1 look annoying. The mechanics and figuring out what they are looked like something I wouldn't want to touch.

There's always Raid guides for you to look by a week or two after the Raid's release

Destiny's #1 problem was all the bullshit though.

The real problem here is, what type of bullshit are we talking about here? Only the loot and such or also the incredible repetition that ruined the first one for me? That is the big question for me right now. Is the campaign lengthy and are there enough missions in it with a good variety?

Strakt

https://aotf.com/reviews/destiny-2-review/

One thing that’s not really debatable is the level of quality found throughout the game, first in terms of presentation aspects like visuals, art-design, sound quality and soundtrack. Destiny 2 absolutely shines here. Each world feels unique, with hidden pockets of cave systems and unique art. Sound always feels pitch perfect for the situation whether on an exploration or tense firefight.

http://www.gamesradar.com/destiny-2-review/

Destiny 2 is bigger, better, and more beautiful than ever. I could have spent a paragraph talking about the skies alone. Endless side quests and activities, a thrilling campaign and slick PvP are only the beginning of what’s on offer.

The real problem here is, what type of bullshit are we talking about here? Only the loot and such or also the incredible repetition that ruined the first one for me? That is the big question for me right now. Is the campaign lengthy and are there enough missions in it with a good variety?

I mean it's a loot co-op shooter. It's going to get grindy no matter what at a certain point. Borderlands does, Division does, etc.

"Grind" is a central aspect for these types of games. If you aren't into that aspect then these games probably aren't for you

With that said pretty much all these reviews seem to be praising the campaign quality

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
Whats SP content like for this game? Im not much of a social MP mode person, but enjoyed the beta for Destiny 1. Just figured itd get too MP focused and i couldnt compete enough online.

Edit: thanks

Top Bottom