• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT12| Play. Whine. Repeat.

Deku Tree

I got carried away.

TL; DR: First sword attacks Crota in middle; he goes right; 2nd sword attacks him in middle again; fall bottom middle to kill ogres; 3rd sword attacks Crota in middle/right; 4th sword kills Crota when he comes back from right to middle.

Team Distribution
1 person: Runs sword, helps kill sword bearers and ogres
Suggested Load Out: VoC + Black Hammer + GHorn... whatever can kill ogres and sword guys fast

2 people: Tower knight "bitch" duty, punishment for not buying a GHorn week 2, always focus on 2 boomer and 1 melee knight in each tower. Stay alive.
Suggested Lout Out: VoC + IceB/P&T/331 sniper + tracking R Launcher or MG like CMeasure

3 people: Kill Sword Bearers and DPS Crota to break his shield when the sword bearer approaches Crota.
Suggested Load Out: VoC + strong sniper + GHorn or other tracking RL

Crota has a steady movement pattern of [middle-->right-->middle-->left-->middle-->right-->middle-->left-->middle-->right] = ENRAGE on right. Encounter phases according to his position:

1. Crota middle:
    Kill 1st Sword Bearer (SB #1) !!!quickly!!!, whether from left side or bottom middle. Get two shield breaks and two sword combos before he starts running right.​

2. Crota right:
    Assuming damage on Crota is good (~25%), pass the chalice and regroup. Damage the Sword Bearer #2 but don't kill him until Crota starts moving back middle.​

3. Crota middle:
    As soon as Crota moves, down SB #2 and get two more shield breaks and combos with him in the middle. Everybody fall back bottom middle, behind your original Death Singer spawn location.​

These first two swords (4 shield breaks) can be done with the Sword kill/Shield break team either on the left or bottom middle. Sword bearer pulls more easily to bottom middle, but sword kills must be punctual because it's too dangerous to do shield breaks when Crota is on the sides. Staying on the left side lets you be more adaptable so you can do shield breaks in middle or right, but the SB is leashed very strongly to the middle area so people need to be more aggressive about killing him without dying themselves.​

4. Crota left:
    Wait for ogres to appear (usually left side first) then kill them quickly. Snipers, VoC and Weapons of Light are great. If ogre kills are quick, Crota will still be left so just run out and up right side. Regroup, clear out thralls/cursed thralls, pass chalice and set up shop on the left side. Don't go outside if Crota is still there !!!​

5. Crota middle:
    Sword #3 should probably be executed with the shield break team positioned on the left side. Otherwise he will move right and mess up at least the 2nd shield break if people are bottom middle.​

(a) If ogre kills were quick, Sword #3 should be out. If you can kill him quickly, you can still get two shield breaks+combos in the middle. If ogres were really fast, shield break team can stay bottom middle but this is risky.​

(b) If ogres were slow, Crota will already be middle when you come out so just go left side and regroup, clear out trash and knights, sip the cup etc. As long as the sword runner is comfortable with it, you will probably want to wait for Crota to move right before shield breaking because you don't want to try the 2nd break while he's moving. Do not kill the sword bearer until you are ready to get in position for shield breaking.​

6. Crota right:
    Once 3rd sword (6th shield break) is done, either in middle or on right side, then two things can happen:​

(a) If you see thralls spawning from the tops of the towers (where Boomers are) and jumping to the walkway, you will have another ogre phase. Ogres can come after the 3rd sword, they are not based on "every 2 swords." They seem to come "early" especially if damage is high on Crota, but I don't know the exact trigger. Immediately all fall back middle and kill them ASAP.​

(b) If you see the bottom middle door open (by the chalice table), keep a close eye on it because SB #4 should be coming out. Same as SB #2, tick down his health until Crota goes middle then burn him down and get two shield breaks in the middle. He should be dead after 8 solid shield breaks. ///CROTA DEAD///​

7. Crota middle --> left:

(a) If ogres came after Sword #3, they should be dead. Go back up right side.
    (i) If damage is good (75-80%+), fall back left side and stay safe. Crota will be going/on the left by the time you get set up so stay back inside and don't die/watch for thralls. See step 4 above.​
    (ii) If damage is behind (<75%) you will likely need two more swords and therefore must kill SB #4 immediately with the team on the right side. Wait until Crota is going left before the sword dies then get two solid shield breaks with Crota on left.​

(b) If you had SBs #3 and #4 back to back and Crota isn't dead, you will have ogres now. Everyone fall bottom middle and kill them quickly. Just remember that if you did two middle shield breaks with sword #4, Crota will be coming left. For safety if Crota is headed left, you can run all the way right and then go bottom as long as no one falls behind (ogres won't be there yet). Kill ogres ASAP.​

8. Crota middle:

(a) If ogres came after sword #3...
    (i) ...and damage was ~75-80%+, kill sword #4 when Crota goes middle and get shield breaks 7 and 8 there. ///CROTA DEAD///​
    (ii) ...and damage was <75%, you should be looking for SB #5. Kill him ASAP then do the last one or two shield breaks when Crota is stable on the right side. He is going to enrage and summon the Oversoul when he reaches the right, but the sword can still do damage as long as his shield is still broken. He will just stay standing up instead of kneeling. ///CROTA DEAD///​

(b) If SBs #3 and 4 were back to back, go back up left once second ogre wave is dead. Find SB #5 and kill him ASAP. Get the first shield break in the middle if possible, but remember that he will be moving right soon.

9. Crota right:
    He will ENRAGE when he reaches the right side. You can still get a big final combo in as long as the shield break is there since he will stand still summoning the Oversoul. ///CROTA DEAD///​

Aim for an easy 4 sword kill. A 3 sword kill is extremely possible, but 4 swords should be very easy to fit in before enrage. Don't get greedy with the sword if damage to that point is good. A 5th sword is possible before enrage if damage is low but each phase has been done quickly.
Yes, I waited for a new page to post this.
Nice write up Boguester! It will help a lot of people.

I got carried away.

TL; DR: First sword attacks Crota in middle; he goes right; 2nd sword attacks him in middle again; fall bottom middle to kill ogres; 3rd sword attacks Crota in middle/right; 4th sword kills Crota when he comes back from right to middle.
Lol your post pwns my post about the encounter :p

EL CUCO

Ah, so that's why the place was going batshit insane there yesterday; I passed through it during the strike and the place was just gonzo.

Been 20 minutes...going to give it five more and then give up. This is ridiculous. :(

Yeah. I couldn't kill him on my first try. I had to retool with Arc weapons. It shows up about every 45 min(?) I want to say.

He can show up for both. I got it when it's the Fallen vs Hive battle and also when the Warsat dropped. Of course the latter has a bonus of being an official public event that you might get a reward for.

Yeah I've seen the events mixed in too but I dont think Uzrok shows up for the standard Warsat, but I could be wrong. Its freaking madness when they both happen though.

rNilla

Oh right. None of my go to Iron Banner weapons are leveled up because it's only been 0-1 weeks since I upgraded traded them in.

Great write up! You could always add video links as well. I think this shows tower duty very well.

I got carried away.

Team Distribution

2 people: Tower knight "bitch" duty, punishment for not buying a GHorn week 2, always focus on 2 boomer and 1 melee knight in each tower. Stay alive.
Suggested Lout Out: VoC + IceB/P&T/331 sniper + tracking R Launcher or MG like CMeasure

Qwell

I think I might be crazy, I just did the 25 strike part of bad juju twice in the past 24 hours. I'm probably going to need to take a little break at some point so I don't burn myself out.

fake edit: thanks to all the people that let me join their weekly and nightfalls

GhaleonEB

I think he's a level 31 Major, so it is a tough battle.

Yeah, I'm 28 but I had two level 31's waiting with me. We took him down in about 10 seconds; I was bladedancing in his face while very large rockets erupted around me. I suspect the 'Horn was involved in his demise. Best part of the event was the warsat landing on one of them. :lol

Thanks for the help, everyone. Now that the Urn quest is do....OH FOR FUCKS SAKE

Yeah, I'm 28 but I had two level 31's waiting with me. We took him down in about 10 seconds; I was bladedancing in his face while very large rockets erupted around me. I suspect the 'Horn was involved in his demise. Best part of the event was the warsat landing on one of them. :lol

Thanks for the help, everyone. Now that the Urn quest is do....OH FOR FUCKS SAKE

Which part do you have now?

EL CUCO

I took him down as a 29 with help from a random 30 that looked like he was there for same. Remember...bring ARC Lol

Any thoughts on the best sword combos to use on Crota?

"Best combo" is overrated. The only thing that matters is the shield break timing relative to sword runner's approach.

I've almost killed him with 2 swords using

- 3 or even 4 R2 smashes per shield break: approx 43-58k damage
- R1+R1+R2 combo x2 per shield break: approx 48-50k damage
- R1+R1+R2 combo + R2 + R2 per shield break: approx 53-55k damage

The exact numbers on your hit markers may vary. The upper range of these combos is the most you should look for, and would honestly be a 2 sword pace if you got it for all 4 shield breaks. Even a single R1+R1+R2 combo is enough to keep up typically. Learn his immunity timing so you know exactly how many hits will actually land. If you attack too far into his immune shield popping up then it's more likely you will die before you can escape. Honestly it can be worth the risk to go for that last hit on the second shield break as long as damage is good and the team can get the Oversoul then BDancer stealth res + grab chalice. Just be warned that the Oversoul will always stress out your team a bit and can lead to unforced errors that wipe the run.

Great write up! You could always add video links as well. I think this shows tower duty very well.

Thanks! Yeah, I want to go through some video I saved to actually show the sword in action because that's a whole 'nother ball of wax. That write up was just a basic run down of the encounter design itself. Need to stop being lazy and actually go through all my videos.

Namikaze1

oh I won't be touching the sword

you can fight amongst yourselves
Oh, so you won't touch the sword cause I'll be touching it?! I see how it is, fig.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go to that corner over. No, I'm not crying! It's just that some one left these damn onions out!

oh I won't be touching the sword

you can fight amongst yourselves

tumblr_n63mtmhzD71rj12txo2_250.gif

I got carried away.

Team Distribution
1 person: Runs sword, helps kill sword bearers and ogres
Suggested Load Out: VoC + Black Hammer + GHorn... whatever can kill ogres and sword guys fast

3 people: Kill Sword Bearers and DPS Crota to break his shield when the sword bearer approaches Crota.
Suggested Load Out: VoC + strong sniper + GHorn or other tracking RL

Crota has a steady movement pattern of [middle-->right-->middle-->left-->middle-->right-->middle-->left-->middle-->right] = ENRAGE on right. Encounter phases according to his position:

1. Crota middle:
    Kill 1st Sword Bearer (SB #1) !!!quickly!!!, whether from left side or bottom middle. Get two shield breaks and two sword combos before he starts running right.​

2. Crota right:
    Assuming damage on Crota is good (~25%), pass the chalice and regroup. Damage the Sword Bearer #2 but don't kill him until Crota starts moving back middle.​

3. Crota middle:
    As soon as Crota moves, down SB #2 and get two more shield breaks and combos with him in the middle. Everybody fall back bottom middle, behind your original Death Singer spawn location.​

These first two swords (4 shield breaks) can be done with the Sword kill/Shield break team either on the left or bottom middle. Sword bearer pulls more easily to bottom middle, but sword kills must be punctual because it's too dangerous to do shield breaks when Crota is on the sides. Staying on the left side lets you be more adaptable so you can do shield breaks in middle or right, but the SB is leashed very strongly to the middle area so people need to be more aggressive about killing him without dying themselves.​

4. Crota left:
    Wait for ogres to appear (usually left side first) then kill them quickly. Snipers, VoC and Weapons of Light are great. If ogre kills are quick, Crota will still be left so just run out and up right side. Regroup, clear out thralls/cursed thralls, pass chalice and set up shop on the left side. Don't go outside if Crota is still there !!!​

5. Crota middle:
    Sword #3 should probably be executed with the shield break team positioned on the left side. Otherwise he will move right and mess up at least the 2nd shield break if people are bottom middle.​

(a) If ogre kills were quick, SB #3 should be out. If you can kill him quickly, you can still get two shield breaks+combos in the middle. If ogres were really fast, shield break team can stay bottom middle but this is risky.​

(b) If ogres were slow, Crota will already be middle when you come out so just go left side and regroup, clear out trash and knights, sip the cup etc. As long as the sword runner is comfortable with it, you will probably want to wait for Crota to move right before shield breaking because you don't want to try the 2nd break while he's moving. Do not kill the sword bearer until you are ready to get in position for shield breaking.​

6. Crota right:
    Once 3rd sword (6th shield break) is done, either in middle or on right side, then two things can happen:​

(a) If you see thralls spawning from the tops of the towers (where Boomers are) and jumping to the walkway, you will have another ogre phase. Ogres can come after the 3rd sword, they are not based on "every 2 swords." They seem to come "early" especially if damage is high on Crota, but I don't know the exact trigger. Immediately all fall back middle and kill them ASAP.​

(b) If you see the bottom middle door open (by the chalice table), keep a close eye on it because SB #4 should be coming out. Same as SB #2, tick down his health until Crota goes middle then burn him down and get two shield breaks in the middle. He should be dead after 8 solid shield breaks. ///CROTA DEAD///​

7. Crota middle --> left:

(a) If ogres came after Sword #3, they should be dead. Go back up right side.
    (i) If damage is good (75-80%+), fall back left side and stay safe. Crota will be going/on the left by the time you get set up so stay back inside and don't die/watch for thralls. See step 4 above.​
    (ii) If damage is behind (<75%) you will likely need two more swords and therefore must kill SB #4 immediately with the team on the right side. Wait until Crota is going left before the sword dies then get two solid shield breaks with Crota on left.​

(b) If you had SBs #3 and #4 back to back and Crota isn't dead, you will have ogres now. Everyone fall bottom middle and kill them quickly. Just remember that if you did two middle shield breaks with sword #4, Crota will be coming left. For safety if Crota is headed left, you can run all the way right and then go bottom as long as no one falls behind (ogres won't be there yet). Kill ogres ASAP.​

8. Crota middle:

(a) If ogres came after sword #3...
    (i) ...and damage was ~75-80%+, kill sword #4 when Crota goes middle and get shield breaks 7 and 8 there. ///CROTA DEAD///​
    (ii) ...and damage was <75%, you should be looking for SB #5. Kill him ASAP then do the last one or two shield breaks when Crota is stable on the right side. He is going to enrage and summon the Oversoul when he reaches the right, but the sword can still do damage as long as his shield is still broken. He will just stay standing up instead of kneeling. ///CROTA DEAD///​

(b) If SBs #3 and 4 were back to back, go back up left once second ogre wave is dead. Find SB #5 and kill him ASAP. Get the first shield break in the middle if possible, but remember that he will be moving right soon.

9. Crota right:
    He will ENRAGE when he reaches the right side. You can still get a big final combo in as long as the shield break is there since he will stand still summoning the Oversoul. ///CROTA DEAD///​

Aim for an easy 4 sword kill. A 3 sword kill is extremely possible, but 4 swords should be very easy to fit in before enrage. Don't get greedy with the sword if damage to that point is good. A 5th sword is possible before enrage if damage is low but each phase has been done quickly.
Yes, I waited for a new page to post this.

One person on knight duty should be enough. We usually have just one person and they don't always even have to kill the knight. Just distract it. Been working fine for us. Last two runs we got Crota without wiping

Top Bottom