• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT19| Raiders of the Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK DGaf, I need some opinions. I had a nice collection of Firefly perked SR's, once for each character, then RNG decided to bless me with a 4th, the NitC. So now what do to, keep all 4 (plus the various other SR's that I have from raids) or shard one. What I have is:

1. Badger CCL (Luck in the Chamber, Hammer Forged, Firefly)
2. B-Line Trauma (Zen Moment, Flared Magwell, Firefly)
3. Gheleon's Demise (Outlaw, Hammer Forged/Flared Mag, Firefly)
4. AnotherNitC (Final Round, Flared Mag, Firefly)

HELP!

Get rid of B-line trauma.

Personally I don't even bother with legendary primaries if they don't have elemental damage.

Defyler

All is not totally lost with this Xurday...

Have too many motes and all the exotic armor that's worthwhile but decided to buy a chest engram because coins are gathering dust in the vault.

Decrypted to a hoptf with 169 disc. Which is a huge upgrade over my 124 variant.

Deku Tree

The sustain team is very small, but the teams working on the DLC are pretty large. Especially Comet.

Do you have inside info that the Comet team is currently pretty large GhaleonEB?

I would have to guess that HoW is finished and whatever changes they made to it based upon the feedback reception they got for TDB were small. They may have tinkered with the light levels of the vendor gear and the raid gear, and maybe hopefully they changed somewhat the costs associated with the reXurbish system, and hopefully they got rid of the resets of the weapon perks, and maybe they'll change the way we upgrade our new gear and fix the shard economies and reduce the grind, but I would guess that the armor and the weapons and the encounter designs were pretty much finished a long time ago.

Hopefully Comet with it's larger team and new product for sale to most of us comes with much better designed systems that incorporate a lot of the player feedback.

Yeah, it takes them forever to address weapon balances. Though they butchered the Mythoclast within weeks of complaining though.

Exactly what I always say. That's why I would GLADLY pay $5 dollars a month for game that's updated considerably more without these crazy dry spells. Like you said, the skeleton crew is very small which causes the updates to be in production forever.

I think the issue is that a lot of people would not pay $5 a month or give Destiny a chance if it had a subscription fee. This is a new type of model that Bungie is trying out and I guess it is to be determined how it does. Those of us in here would pay more for more content but would the rest of the players?

E92 M3

I think the issue is that a lot of people would not pay $5 a month or give Destiny a chance if it had a subscription fee. This is a new type of model that Bungie is trying out and I guess it is to be determined how it does. Those of us in here would pay more for more content but would the rest of the players?

Unfortunately, quite a few here won't pay either (I don't mind paying for products that I enjoy immensely). That's why I think they should something like Bungie Pro - an optional program that gives extra to people that want it, and provides another revenue stream. Something how Shark Cards are funding Rockstar.

GhaleonEB

Edit: NM.

Looks like nothing useful from Xur again this week. I'll restock on synth a bit, but that's it. And so the coins accumulate.

Unfortunately, quite a few here won't pay either (I don't mind paying for products that I enjoy immensely). That's why I think they should something like Bungie Pro - an optional program that gives extra to people that want it, and provides another revenue stream. Something how Shark Cards are funding Rockstar.

If the plan is a two year cycle for D1, then we're looking at:

2 x $20 DLC
$40 comet
2x $20 DLC

$120/24 months for a grand total of $5/month

I don't see why they can't have a sustain team like an mmo.

LTWood12

OK DGaf, I need some opinions. I had a nice collection of Firefly perked SR's, once for each character, then RNG decided to bless me with a 4th, the NitC. So now what do to, keep all 4 (plus the various other SR's that I have from raids) or shard one. What I have is:

1. Badger CCL (Luck in the Chamber, Hammer Forged, Firefly)
2. B-Line Trauma (Zen Moment, Flared Magwell, Firefly)
3. Gheleon's Demise (Outlaw, Hammer Forged/Flared Mag, Firefly)
4. AnotherNitC (Final Round, Flared Mag, Firefly)

HELP!

Gheleon's Demise is the best of the bunch by far w/ those perks. If you were only keeping two, I'd say Gheleon & Badger.

E92 M3

If the plan is a two year cycle for D1, then we're looking at:

2 x $20 DLC
$40 comet
2x $20 DLC

$120/24 months for a grand total of $5/month

I don't see why they can't have a sustain team like an mmo.

Yeah, we get DLC and such, but everything in-between is lacking. QOL updates are almost nonexistent and proper weapon balancing is a wives' tale.

LTWood12

Picked up Don't Touch Me's (Yes I know the stat buff sucks), Sunbreakers, and rolled a Lucky Raspberry from the engram. Didn't have any of these.

I'm cool with Dragon's Breath not having tracking. They just need to buff it in other areas like add burn DOT to anyone caught in the solar wake. If you want to get crazy, add firefly explosions to enemies killed by the solar wake. Basically turn it in to a Radiant Sunsinger gun. Maybe up the base velocity and give it proximity detonation too. OR keep the velocity slow, but make the rocket actually be the solar flare in flight which would add burn DOT to anyone it grazes.

ocean

Banned
Yeah, we get DLC and such, but everything in-between is lacking. QOL updates are almost nonexistent and proper weapon balancing is a wives' tale.
I think his point was that their DLC model offers them a revenue stream roughly equivalent to a 5 US$ monthly fee, and they should this be held to a higher standard in terms of offering sustained support.

Not just quickly balancing weapons and squishing bugs but actually adding content. I feel the most underused asset in the game are Patrol areas. They should allow 6 person Fireteams to Patrol together and make a ton of new, interesting, difficult Public Events with rewards worth seeking. Imagine a red exclamation point over the moon - load Patrol in a 5-6 man team and find a crazy Public Event.

This kind of silly idea would go a long way towards making the game feel fresh using existing assets. They could spice up NF rotation with new modifiers, like: no/reduced super, no ____ ammo, a time limit. Who knows.

This kind of update wouldn't require the same amount of work as designing new Strikes and Raids. But a constant stream of new stuff to do, even if it's in areas and against enemies that we've already seen, would keep things fresh.

It sucks that their skeleton team for Destiny is small. The game is suffering because of it, having rare patches.

AND THEY SHOULD HIRE ME, BECAUSE I KNOW HOW TO MAKE THE GAME FUN.

Make Dragons Breath like, just be a stream of FIRE.

Edit-They should also add in enchantments for gear. Might as well.

Surprisingly didn't have the Sunbreakers so I will be picking them up for my Warlock.

Thinking about upgrading my Achylophage Symbiote too as that is a sweet roll on discipline compared to the one I have (100).

Not a bad haul from Mr. Xur but it could be better. This surplus of strange coins I'm sitting on gotta be used sometime I guess.

Axoman

I really like the suggestions of spicing up patrol. That could go a long way to giving people things to do between reset activities and not require a lot of new asset work.

I think I saw a suggestion of having raid bosses appear with a team of body guards walking around on patrols. I think that's a cool idea and they could do a lot of fun things with it.

In terms of HoW and progression, I think we will see things very similar to how it was with TDB and that progression won't really change until Comet.

Axoman

From the this week's update.

" Fixing bugs for the Raid is most challenging in two ways: figuring out went wrong and devising a safe way to fix it that won’t break the rest of the game."

Funny, they don't appear to apply the same to cheeses, as it seems they always introduce new issues when fixing cheese.

I imagine it goes something like this -

Team Lead - "We have to fix Crota infinite kneeling problem quickly"
Programmer - "I came up with a quick hack, but it may cause Crota to behave badly."
Team Lead - "Put the fix in! Raids are hard, we're just making it harder!"

I think his point was that their DLC model offers them a revenue stream roughly equivalent to a 5 US$ monthly fee, and they should this be held to a higher standard in terms of offering sustained support.

Not just quickly balancing weapons and squishing bugs but actually adding content. I feel the most underused asset in the game are Patrol areas. They should allow 6 person Fireteams to Patrol together and make a ton of new, interesting, difficult Public Events with rewards worth seeking. Imagine a red exclamation point over the moon - load Patrol in a 5-6 man team and find a crazy Public Event.

This kind of silly idea would go a long way towards making the game feel fresh using existing assets. They could spice up NF rotation with new modifiers, like: no/reduced super, no ____ ammo, a time limit. Who knows.

This kind of update wouldn't require the same amount of work as designing new Strikes and Raids. But a constant stream of new stuff to do, even if it's in areas and against enemies that we've already seen, would keep things fresh.

More under used than the gunsmith? But yeah, you put it much better than I could have. I don't know what the budget looks like, and maybe the DLC is still paying off a portion of the start up costs of the main game, BUT I hope HoW makes enough that they can hire a small QoL team to add easy content between DLC's.

Absolutely more patrol stuff is needed. Different missions, events ect. Hell, have a dev spend ten minutes slapping a fun decal like the Bengal on some of the Legendary guns. Add colorful versions of the VoG weapons.. I'd regrind the Templar for a 331 lime green Fatebringer.(or weapon shaders, but that can be a Comet thing since it's more of a systems change than just mixing up assets).

Deku Tree

From the this week's update.

" Fixing bugs for the Raid is most challenging in two ways: figuring out went wrong and devising a safe way to fix it that won’t break the rest of the game."

Funny, they don't appear to apply the same to cheeses, as it seems they always introduce new issues when fixing cheese.

I imagine it goes something like this -

Team Lead - "We have to fix Crota infinite kneeling problem quickly"
Programmer - "I came up with a quick hack, but it may cause Crota to behave badly."
Team Lead - "Put the fix in! Raids are hard, we're just making it harder!"

^ Bungie see's raid cheese as game breaking I think.
And they see raid bugs as a minor annoyance I imagine.

Deku Tree

More under used than the gunsmith? But yeah, you put it much better than I could have. I don't know what the budget looks like, and maybe the DLC is still paying off a portion of the start up costs of the main game, BUT I hope HoW makes enough that they can hire a small QoL team to add easy content between DLC's.

Absolutely more patrol stuff is needed. Different missions, events ect. Hell, have a dev spend ten minutes slapping a fun decal like the Bengal on some of the Legendary guns. Add colorful versions of the VoG weapons.. I'd regrind the Templar for a 331 lime green Fatebringer.(or weapon shaders, but that can be a Comet thing since it's more of a systems change than just mixing up assets).

Activision stated long ago to their investors that Destiny was profitable on after Day 1 sales.

Sorry for the double post.

Got this baby yesterday, now it's ready for the big leagues. They grow up so fast. *sniff*

nMYsXoi.jpg

I don't think I've ever done as much bounties as I've done today. :lol Upgraded a shit-ton of stuff, ran out of glimmer, farmed more glimmer and then ran out of glimmer again. Feels goodman.gif

ocean

Banned
Got this baby yesterday, now it's ready for the big leagues. They grow up so fast. *sniff*

I don't think I've ever done as much bounties as I've done today. :lol Upgraded a shit-ton of stuff, ran out of glimmer, farmed more glimmer and then ran out of glimmer again. Feels goodman.gif
First time I did Sardon I thought he was tough. Pop two Horn rockets and watch his health go down...down...oh wait more Wolfpacks...oh shit that poor guy.

GhaleonEB

^ Bungie see's raid cheese as game breaking I think.
And they see raid bugs as a minor annoyance I imagine.
I think that's probably it. Bungie has said before that they want loot to feel earned, and in the case of raids, cheeses take that away somewhat. While persevering through bugs can actually make the loot (for those who get it, *sob*) feel even more earned, somewhat perversely. So they prioritize things that interfere with the loot grind first, then address other issues later. We saw this with the speed of how they patched up the loot cave, but only later took steps to address the dearth of rewards that drove people to the cave in the first place. That seems to be the same pattern when it comes to raid glitches.

Spill it. At least a hint.

I really didn't think I said anything that wasn't something we couldn't infer from public sources, TBH. (Which is all I ever do. :p ) We know Comet was originally planned as the the lone major expansion for the game via the long ago leaked contract (now clearly outdated). We know Bungie has said they plan to release another update this fall, that they've teased new destinations (Mercury, Saturn) which would take a lot of resources to build, that they have over 500 people working on Destiny, CE has shipped, HoW must be largely wrapped by now, and that Destiny 2 is still a long ways off. I think that adds up to a decent proportion of the studio working on Comet. Even if it's only 40% of the studio at this point, with the balance on sustain and Destiny 2, that's still a 200 person team working on Comet. Most full games don't have teams of that size.

I think that's probably it. Bungie has said before that they want loot to feel earned, and in the case of raids, cheeses take that away somewhat. While persevering through bugs can actually make the loot (for those who get it, *sob*) feel even more earned, somewhat perversely. So they prioritize things that interfere with the loot grind first, then address other issues later. We saw this with the speed of how they patched up the loot cave, but only later took steps to address the dearth of rewards that drove people to the cave in the first place. That seems to be the same pattern when it comes to raid glitches.

I really didn't think I said anything that wasn't something we couldn't infer from public sources, TBH. (Which is all I ever do. :p ) We know Comet was originally planned as the the lone major expansion for the game via the long ago leaked contract (now clearly outdated). We know Bungie has said they plan to release another update this fall, that they've teased new destinations (Mercury, Saturn) which would take a lot of resources to build, that they have over 500 people working on Destiny, CE has shipped, HoW must be largely wrapped by now, and that Destiny 2 is still a long ways off. I think that adds up to a decent proportion of the studio working on Comet. Even if it's only 40% of the studio at this point, with the balance on sustain and Destiny 2, that's still a 200 person team working on Comet. Most full games don't have teams of that size.

I didn't see it before you edited, and was hoping you had dropped a bomb on us. I'm pretty sure it's safe to assume the breakdown of the 500 employees goes something like this:

200 marketing
100 D2
50 networking
50 bean counters
50 Comet
25 Web/Mobile app
10 Raids
10 Catering
2 HoW story and Strikes
2 Grimoire and names for guns
1 DeeJ

Bugs and QoL are done during lunch breaks.

GhaleonEB

I didn't see it before you edited, and was hoping you had dropped a bomb on us.
FWIW, I will never, ever do that, whatever I may hypothetically know or not know. Even back to the Halo days where I lucky enough to not only know of things like DLC plans but to play maps well before they were even announced, I never uttered a word about it. I take things shared in confidence seriously.

And also, the ninjas. The ninjas are real. They're probably watching me right n

hydruxo

I didn't see it before you edited, and was hoping you had dropped a bomb on us. I'm pretty sure it's safe to assume the breakdown of the 500 employees goes something like this:

200 marketing
100 D2
50 networking
50 bean counters
50 Comet
25 Web/Mobile app
10 Raids
10 Catering
2 HoW story and Strikes
1 DeeJ

200 on marketing? That's a bit much

FWIW, I will never, ever do that, whatever I may hypothetically know or not know. Even back to the Halo days where I lucky enough to not only know of things like DLC plans but to play maps well before they were even announced, I never uttered a word about it. I take things shared in confidence seriously.

And also, the ninjas. The ninjas are real. They're probably watching me right n

lol...nice.

Playing a map before it's released sounds like too much funl

200 on marketing? That's a bit much

That was the point. I wanted to make sure that I set it up as a joke post from the start.

Deku Tree

200 marketing
100 D2
50 networking
50 bean counters
50 Comet
25 Web/Mobile app
10 Raids
10 Catering
2 HoW story and Strikes
1 DeeJ

I realize your joking but I believe Bungie does not handle their own marketing for the most part they outsource it.

Is there any indication that this game might come to PC one day?

This. I've got a GTX 970 ready to run this baby at 60 FPS. Let me transfer my save, and I'll be all over it.

Maybe they don't feel like they have the staff to properly debug and police a PC version. Imagining what the hackers might do to the game must give Bungie fits, considering how control freakish they've been so far.

Deku Tree

Bungie has been developing on tightly controlled consoles for a long long time. It sounds like they have their hands full just working on four consoles.

And the way they treat the console versions, it doesn't look like they want to open their game up to the possibility of hacks and mods from the PC community.

sikkinixx

Do the abilities that the vanguard weapons have every change? I'm level 31 and still using a rare hand canon so.... I should upgrade. The vanguard one sucks so maybe a scout rifle but they have crappy abilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom