• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT20| HoW Comes, No Raid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lima

Wait... what? No.... really?

Well I'm going by the teaser and the datamine back in the day that it is held on Shrine only. Teaser only shows Shrine too. I guess we will find out in a couple hours. Wouldn't surprise me though. Remember this was supposed to be a weekend event like Iron Banner at some point and they just shoved it into HoW DLC to make it appear like it has more content.

Well I'm going by the teaser and the datamine back in the day that it is held on Shrine only. Teaser only shows Shrine too. I guess we will find out in a couple hours. Wouldn't surprise me though. Remember this was supposed to be a weekend event like Iron Banner at some point and they just shoved it into HoW DLC to make it appear like it has more content.

My guess is Mercury will be used as an "overworld" for Trials of Osiris. It will be open to Guardians on weekends. Advancing to the next room in the overworld requires winning a 3v3 trials match on Shrine. Losing a match sets you back.

ocean

Banned
How long do you think this game will be playable? Being always online some day the servers will turn off and we won't be able to hit Orbit unless they wave it goodbye with some sort of offline mode patch when the time comes.

I'd say until the end of this console gen?

FyreWulff

How long do you think this game will be playable? Being always online some day the servers will turn off and we won't be able to hit Orbit unless they wave it goodbye with some sort of offline mode patch when the time comes.

I'd say until the end of this console gen?

If Bungie had their way, Halo 2 would still work online. I imagine they'll keep it up as long as the consoles still let you sign into their respective networks.

ocean

Banned
If Bungie had their way, Halo 2 would still work online. I imagine they'll keep it up as long as the consoles still let you sign into their respective networks.
This game must be expensive for them server-side though. Network integration is everywhere in this game, not just matchmaking. Your inventory, stats, reputation, everything is constantly synchronized with their servers. No information is stored locally. Surely they can't afford to provide this sort of infrastructure indefinitely...

Deku Tree

I find it awful that Bungie is not going to let tripleWreck ask questions today. Bungie congratulated Gothalion and claimed they appreciated his appearance and then behind the scenes changed the whole format so that his tough questions couldn't happen again.

This game must be expensive for them server-side though. Network integration is everywhere in this game, not just matchmaking. Your inventory, stats, reputation, everything is constantly synchronized with their servers. No information is stored locally. Surely they can't afford to provide this sort of infrastructure indefinitely...

Yeah gotta wonder about this... On the other hand Destiny is impossible to play without Internet so whenever they turn the servers off Destiny is done so...

FyreWulff

As the population eventually starts to drop over the years, it'll become cheaper and cheaper to run the game.

In previous Halo releases, they kept optimizing and increasing the datarate of the next game so much that the -entirety- of the previous Halo's online system ran as a small instance on the current Halo's backbone. Halo 2 lived on in Halo 3's server room. Halo 3 lived on as a part of Reach's rack units. And each time the datarate kept going up. Halo 2 could take up to an hour to show recorded games. Halo 3 could update every 30 minutes with interactive stuff. Reach could update every minute.

Destiny is capable of updating every second. This is what even lets you do stuff like manage your in-game inventory from the web. They needed to do it in the first place to get the MMO stuff to work right, but it's been amazing to see a direct evolution of Bungie's servers like that.

As a side note, Bungie also just took over hosting Halo 1 PC's online after the Gamespy shutdown. That game is 12 years old, to give you an idea of how long they'd like to run things.

I can imagine by the point Destiny 3 or 4, or whatever Bungie does after Destiny have microsecond update rates and site backends that running Destiny 1 will be like "man, remember when we thought this was hard?" to them.

Samus4145

Has Bungie ever mentioned why that just don't remove the vehicles from the maps that have them, so they can be added to the normal Control play list?

As the population eventually starts to drop over the years, it'll become cheaper and cheaper to run the game.

In previous Halo releases, they kept optimizing and increasing the datarate of the next game so much that the -entirety- of the previous Halo's online system ran as a small instance on the current Halo's backbone. Halo 2 lived on in Halo 3's server room. Halo 3 lived on as a part of Reach's rack units. And each time the datarate kept going up. Halo 2 could take up to an hour to show recorded games. Halo 3 could update every 30 minutes with interactive stuff. Reach could update every minute.

Destiny is capable of updating every second. This is what even lets you do stuff like manage your in-game inventory from the web. They needed to do it in the first place to get the MMO stuff to work right, but it's been amazing to see a direct evolution of Bungie's servers like that.

As a side note, Bungie also just took over hosting Halo 1 PC's online after the Gamespy shutdown. That game is 12 years old, to give you an idea of how long they'd like to run things.

I can imagine by the point Destiny 3 or 4, or whatever Bungie does after Destiny have microsecond update rates and site backends that running Destiny 1 will be like "man, remember when we thought this was hard?" to them.

Excellent explanation as always.

ocean

Banned

I didn't know any of this! Never played Halo. Thanks for the wonderful answer man.
Has Bungie ever mentioned why that just don't remove the vehicles from the maps that have them, so they can be added to the normal Control play list?
Those maps used to be on the normal playlists. The thing is, vehicles aren't even the problem on those maps. They're just too damn big and fighting ends up being super dispersed, with snipers and Truth killing you from across the map. Removing vehicles wouldn't change this.

The TDB Control playlist still has Skyshock though, for some odd reason. I actually like that map (not really) because it feels like a Patrol area where you can shoot Guardians.

you guys ready for some new maps?

iGiWMm5YXmPr6.gif

i2mMdRrWQR1aF.gif

please don't suck

These look familiar.

I hate waiting for public events. -__-

Just 7 more public events, Nami. Just 7 more...

;__; kill me

I did that grimoire on the Moon. The pattern I used was Hellmouth > Anchor of Light > Archer's Line > Hellmouth > Anchor > Archer > etc. I found by the time the public event was done on one, the next would be within 5 mins.

blazeuk

This shit ain't for no grimoire!

I got that ages ago!

This is for the damn bounty!

That's one of those bounties I always skip, having to do 3 public events is ridiculous given how easy/quick most of the other bounties are to do, it should be 1 public event - 2 at a push.

That's one of those bounties I always skip, having to do 3 public events is ridiculous given how easy/quick most of the other bounties are to do, it should be 1 public event - 2 at a push.

I've seen maybe 4-5 public events in the past 2 months - PE and Patrol bounties are a massive waste of time.

I'm telling you, it takes like 20 mins to do it on the Moon. I grab Patrols and kill bounties to do while I wait. It's not that bad, honestly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom