• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT20| HoW Comes, No Raid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aha, thanks :) I'm a level 8 Hunter.

So pretty much everything will give you XP. Crucible matches. Completing Story Missions (only the first time you do them via the map, then again for the "Daily Heroic"). Strikes (only the first time via the map, then again each time in the "Vanguard" Strike playlists that unlock for you at higher levels). Killing enemies. Bounties.

XP will level you up all the way to level 20, then the system changes and XP won't directly effect your level.

It works kind of weird though, because if you complete a bounty for say 5000 XP, you'll earn 5000 XP toward your level, and then 5000 XP for each item you have equipped, rather than it splitting the 5000 between everything. That is, you'll earn 5000 XP for each of your equipped weapons and armours AND subclass, so make sure you've equipped whatever gear you are interested in leveling when earning XP or turning in bounties.

Not everything is available at the beginning of the game. Certain things you won't even see until you've reached a certain level and then the game will give you a sort of notification letting you know that you can now access it.

In Destiny, there are Factions. Each Faction has at least one NPC in the tower where you can purchase their corresponding sets of weapons and armours and there are different criteria for leveling them and currencies for each.

The Factions (so far) are:

Vanguard
Crucible

Cryptarch

New Monarchy
Dead Orbit
Future War Cult

Iron Banner (only open for one week each month)

Eris Morn (The Dark Below NPC)

Vanguard is in charge of all PvE content. Crucible, PvP. So if you complete a Vanguard bounty, you earn "Reputation" (different from XP) toward leveling up Vanguard faction. Same with doing Crucible bounties toward the Crucible faction. There are a couple other ways to level up factions at higher levels as well once things start to unlock for you.

Each faction (Vanguard, Crucible, New Monarchy, Dead Orbit, Future War Cult, Iron Banner, and Eris Morn) requires that you be a certain "Rank" in that faction to purchase their corresponding gear. For most, it is Rank 3 for weapons, and Rank 2 for armours.

In addition to Reputation, Vanguard and Crucible both have "Marks", which is a type of currency you can earn by successfully completing certain activities. You earn around 5 Crucible Marks for winning a Crucible match, for example. And you earn some Marks for Vanguard by completing a Strike in the Vanguard Strike playlists (which unlock at higher levels). You can earn a maximum of 100 Marks per week, and you can hold a maximum of 200 Marks total (of the two types).

edit: Also, in regular Crucible (that is, not Iron Banner) your weapons' Attack values and your armours' Defense stats are all flattened and are not calculated, so you aren't at a disadvantage for having a low-level gun or what have you (aside from the perks on some of the higher level weapons or gear)

Once you hit level 20, your level will be tied to the Light stat of whatever armour you're wearing, which is why people tell you to rank up your Vanguard, Crucible, or whatever factions early. You won't be able to rank up New Monarchy, Future War Cult, or Dead Orbit until level 20, though.

The above is only the beginning. Experiment and play around with how you like to play your character, what class of weapons you prefer, etc. You can't really do anything wrong as most of what you do will progress you in one way or another. You will hit Level 20 before you earn enough XP to get all the abilities in your subclass, too, so there'll be a lot of variety in how your particular build plays. You'll feel more powerful too as you unlock new "perks" in your subclass that enable you to do increasingly powerful things. Destiny sort of starts you off with the basics and you feel kind of like a Spartan from Halo at first, but as you level, you'll get more and more access to more and more abilities. That's the whole "Become Legend" thing :p

I didn't cover everything, but that's the basic stuff for now. Hitting Level 20 and ranking up either your Vanguard or Crucible to level 2 early will make your life easier later though.

Oh ONE more thing, you'll notice some enemies have different coloured shields. There are 3, Blue (Arc), Purple (Void), and Orange (Solar). You can pop those shields with any type of damage, but they are particularly weak to weapons that do the same colour of damage as their shields. You'll start finding weapons that do one of the 3 types of damage pretty soon (Special and Heavy mainly). Certain enemies also do certain types of damage if you look at the colour of their bullets. Same goes for your special abilities like grenades and supers, too.

I hope that's not TOO confusing (or obvious!), the game does sort of overwhelm at first but it's worth it, in my opinion :p

-griffy-

Banned
I've got a noob question for Iron Banner. Does it factor in your weapon upgrade level too, or just the base level/stats? Like, I have a LDR 5001 that's at 294 damage right now, with the last three damage nodes left to fill. Would I be at a disadvantage using that over a fully upgraded weapon?

GutZ31

ipCG_Trade_Secret.png

Tell him everything why don't ya?

Great info for new players.

Loefah

Banned
Hmmm... I have the DLC, so I'm in a bit of a different spot, BUT... I'd grind the ROC strikes and try to get enough materials/armor to rank your characters up. If you had the DLC, you could run the weekly strike for strange coins (to buy exotic armor this weekend from Xur).

If my memory serves, at 27 and 28, collecting enough class materials (hadronic essence, plating, wire) was the worst part of the grind. Do you already have a couple legendary armor pieces?

Doing the ROC strikes will also earn you marks, which you can use to buy the vendor gear in the tower... once you have those leveled up, you'll be at level 30. You can also (maybe) get legendary engrams which (might) roll out into legendary gear for your player during the ROC strikes, so that will speed up the process.

Thanks for the repy and advice! Yes, I have all legendary and an exotic helmet so I guess I will go about upgrading those by doing the strikes, then moving on to VoG. I'll get the expansions if I'm still enjoying it by then. Cheers.

nOoblet16

I've got a noob question for Iron Banner. Does it factor in your weapon upgrade level too, or just the base level/stats? Like, I have a LDR 5001 that's at 294 damage right now, with the last three damage nodes left to fill. Would I be at a disadvantage using that over a fully upgraded weapon?
Yes, the difference isn't that much but you will find yourself in a lot of situation where you leave the enemy with a sliver of health when that would otherwise kill you...it already happens with fully levelled up weapons when going against tank classes like titans but it gets worse with unlevelled weapons.

But 300 attack is OK with high impact.

Lima

Decided to use the Iron Banner bounties to level up some of my Ghorns. Three of them leveled up again so no more switching. Better not make a stupid bet and end up dismantling them again. I still have 2 not leveled in the vault though...

I wish I could say this was a Destiny thing but I feel like this has been happening to me since Halo 2.

Yeah, Destiny is certainly not the only game that has regularly terrible spawns. More than anything it's crazy to me how common bad spawn systems are today and how they really haven't improved at all over the last 7+ years.

Decided to use the Iron Banner bounties to level up some of my Ghorns. Three of them leveled up again so no more switching. Better not make a stupid bet and end up dismantling them again. I still have 2 not leveled in the vault though...

do you mean to tell me that after you trashed 3 you still had 3 left. or did you get them afterwards?

thats...... pretty funny

I have done VoG on my PS4 Hunter twice now, and I have a buttload of shards and no fucking gear to spend them on.

Yeah VoG is notorious for being mean with the gear drops (forever 29 was a big issue before Dark Below). It's better in Crota's End, and Prison of Elders looks even better than that, though.

I have to get high enough level to get to Crota's End. :(

Fortunately, I just got enough marks to buy a Vanguard piece.

roc strikes! youll get the marks and maybe some engrams that will turn into legendary peices for you. what level are you. if your at least 27-28 you can easily get a sherpa here to carry you thruogh CE.

I need rare fusion rifles :(

most frustrating part of that bounty. took like a month trying to get them. they seemed to rain them before I got the bounty but after, every special engram tunred into a shot gun. sucks too becuase omnigul is one of the easiest NFs to get the 200 kills needed after that part.

XenoRaven

roc strikes! youll get the marks and maybe some engrams that will turn into legendary peices for you. what level are you. if your at least 27-28 you can easily get a sherpa here to carry you thruogh CE.
I just hit 26 after buying the Vanguard boots yesterday. I was doing Tiger instead of Roc at 25 because it seems like I only get matched with other 25s in Roc and people don't have good enough weapons to kill the Strike boss in any reasonable amount of time. Now that I'm 26 I'll start doing Roc.

Fun fact, when I was playing on Xbone I didn't even know about the Strike playlists...

I was begging for a VoG NM carry for a couple days, but I assume no one wants to do that anymore so I didn't find a lot of success. My Guild from FFXIV plays Destiny too though, so I can usually recruit them to help me.

I just hit 26 after buying the Vanguard boots yesterday. I was doing Tiger instead of Roc at 25 because it seems like I only get matched with other 25s in Roc and people don't have good enough weapons to kill the Strike boss in any reasonable amount of time. Now that I'm 26 I'll start doing Roc.

Fun fact, when I was playing on Xbone I didn't even know about the Strike playlists...

I was begging for a VoG NM carry for a couple days, but I assume no one wants to do that anymore so I didn't find a lot of success. My Guild from FFXIV plays Destiny too though, so I can usually recruit them to help me.

bummer alomost thier thuogh.

Same time as last week, 11 PST.

I hate that twitch is blocked at work. now I have to wait for the youtube upload afterwards.

Deku Tree

I figured you had some extra's laying around...

stb

Raid summary from last night:

Team 1: 8:30 PM Eastern
1) stb (PSN Berried_treasurE)
2) stb's pal (PSN Capt_Verde)
3) Dave_6 (PSN DaveS78)
4) captscience (PSN captscience)
5) LTWood12 (PSN LTWOOD12)
6) GRIP (PSN GriP17-)

Gorgon's chest NM x3
As soon as I spawned in, science was waiting to revive me with his Hawkmoon pointed at my ghost just to make sure I didn't miss it. Sonofabitch.

I think ONE exotic dropped, but nothing noteworthy. Not terrible for NM, though, I guess, since we don't always get this CP and it's basically a bonus roll.

HM VoG - Spires through Confluxes
We spawn in at Spires, someone says "Alright, guys, flawless raider on HM; let's go." "GUARDIAN DOWN!". I'm not even sure what happened, but it was amusing.

These went fine; a few random deaths, but nothing exciting.

Oracles and Templar 3x
Cheesing Oracles was fine all 3 times.

Templar... we had some issues. We did the "group up by the rock" strategy rather than stay up top. I think people didn't have the right weapons equipped or something, and there definitely some careless deaths (a number of which were my own).

captscience added to his highlight reel by dying from the jump down to start Templar.

The last time we beat him though, I joked that WE had hit the enrage timer, because we steamrolled him. I think that was the fastest Templar kill I've participated in.

Verde pulled a Foil, but no FBs dropped. I think this is where LTWood12 got the gloves he hadn't gotten yet.

HM Gorgon's chest 3x
100% assmats, if memory serves.

Atheon 3x
A few wipes, but we were SO close to getting Atheon in one portal. We must have really wanted the clears, because people stuck around in the bubble for wayyyyyy too long. Gotta clear out at 5 seconds, guys. The few extra hits isn't worth dying and possibly wiping the run!

LTWood12 finally got his first Corrective Measure after ~30 HM Atheon kills.

1x NM CE full ??
3x NM Deathsinger and Crota kill
We spent way too long on the 3x Oracles/Templar, so we ran out of time and didn't run these.

Would you guys want to try to group up later in the week for this? Maybe try our hand at HM DS/Crota?

The drops were really stingy, but I think everyone had a good time again.

Congrats to LTWood12 for his 2 needed drops, and Verde for his Foil.

At least no Hawkmoons were stolen from me this week...

I'm hoping the extra 9 Light I'll get from upgrading my boots will get me to 27. I might have enough room in my weekly marks cap to get the gloves as well. If so, I'll definitely be 27 this week.

Do you have TDB dlc? If you complete the Eris quest line she gives you a pair of purple gloves at the end. They max at 33 light.

Hzoltan69

Haven't touched Destiny in a few weeks, but today I feel like playing again. :) Anybody want to do a couple of Nightfalls or CE about 30-60 minutes from now?

Oh wow! Thanks for this! Will be saving it for future reference :p

Quick question; is Vanguard and Crucible reputation is mostly earned through bounties? Are there other ways to obtain it?

You can earn Rep for Vanguard by completing Daily Heroic story missions, Weekly Heroic Strikes, and Weekly Nightfall Strikes, as well as Vanguard Strike playlists. I think there may be a few other ways, too, but I can't recall off the top of my head. Those are all unlocked at higher levels, though. Pretty sure public events and Patrol missions award you a bit of Rep, too.

For Crucible I think bounties and wins are the only way to get rep, but again I'm not positive on that.

nOoblet16

Fuck salvage mode !

I haven't had one good game, because the game always puts me into a match that is already underway into a team that is losing by a large margin (which means someone quit and hence I got that person's spot). Then I see how bad my teammates play and how they can't even revive or capture the zone because they want to run halfway across the map for heavies so I don't really want to play with them in the next match so I search again...repeat the cycle of getting put into a terrible match again !!

This is such a shit mode.

You can earn Rep for Vanguard by completing Daily Heroic story missions, Weekly Heroic Strikes, and Weekly Nightfall Strikes, as well as Vanguard Strike playlists. I think there may be a few other ways, too, but I can't recall off the top of my head. Those are all unlocked at higher levels, though. Pretty sure public events and Patrol missions award you a bit of Rep, too.

For Crucible I think bounties and wins are the only way to get rep, but again I'm not positive on that.

You still get rep for losing, it's around 11 or so. So yeah, you just have to play Crucible to get the rep.

XenoRaven

Do you have TDB dlc? If you complete the Eris quest line she gives you a pair of purple gloves at the end. They max at 33 light.
I was doing the Omnigul strike yesterday and my power went out when she was at like 30% health. I'll do it again today. Didn't know I could get gloves out of doing the bounty.

Still have to wait for Xur to do the urn thingy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom