• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT20| HoW Comes, No Raid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

noomi

I don't think I'm going to bother with IB this time around, I'm way too rusty to be playing serious crucible....

Stacey

Banned
Are we looking at a halo scenario with the way host is selected in the crucible?

In halo it was highly in favour of an American player, there could be 9 British players, 1 american and the American would get host.....

Because I have never seen so much lag in a PvP game in all my playing days of online multiplayer. Its awful.

Shito

I find it awful that Bungie is not going to let tripleWreck ask questions today. Bungie congratulated Gothalion and claimed they appreciated his appearance and then behind the scenes changed the whole format so that his tough questions couldn't happen again.
What!?
Haven't followed the game much these past days, I hate Omnigul and I'm waiting for HoW to drop (and I don't care much for the reveal of Trial of Osiris this week), but what happened? I absolutely loved last week's stream, I found Gothalion to be exactly what Bungie's awful communication needed. It gave them a soul and a more sympathetic feel.

Zoidberg

What's that guardian? Heavy ammo is about to spawn? Well you sure look tired, so I might delay your spawn so you can have a rest.

Joined a NF with 2 friends when they were at the last boss. Mind you, i've never ran it at al so i was lost.

Killed 5 things.

Got the horn.

if i were in that party w/o a g'horn, i think i'd be entitled to feel a little salty. but RNG gonna RNG​

Congrats on stealing narmers horn.
narmer called it, earlier. :|
narmer, i hope you bought some lottery tickets, because you were downright prophetic last night​

You know, I felt a little guilty talking it up to you while talking down the Truth rocket launcher. Now, you will know the truth about the GiggadyHorn.

you know, it's weird but i was actually getting to the point where i wasn't sweating it as much... but, lo and behold, though, it drops.​

congrats, dang. well deserved.
thanks, Hawkian! i really need to learn sword properly now, if i wanna solo scrota!​

Congrats on the Horn!
Good thing I was not there to steal it
Now go use it as a primary ;)

yeah, now i feel more comfortable inviting you to FT up with me ;-) and i can finally start consuming some of my heavy ammo synths....​

Wow congrats man... I remember discussing this with you not too long ago haha.

-_-

#teamnohorn #900hours #FML

yeah, seriously, Ryck. i don't wanna spout any meaningless platitudes... RNG *smh*​

now, on to leveling this bad boy *rummaging around for RL telemetries purchased months ago*

phen0m24

now, on to leveling this bad boy *rummaging around for RL telemetries purchases months ago*
Ahh the fun. Wolfpack rounds is the game changer. Enjoy it bud!

And now you can join us in our weekly Narmer quests where we try to encourage him and/or try to make him forget as he engages in hard mode....

Waves at GK and Nilla

patchday

I find it awful that Bungie is not going to let tripleWreck ask questions today. Bungie congratulated Gothalion and claimed they appreciated his appearance and then behind the scenes changed the whole format so that his tough questions couldn't happen again.

That was awkward when he bought up Necrochasm and was promptly ignored

Cant recall their response bout glimmer cap increase either but I think they did say something roundabout

Loefah

Banned
I've been out the game since November. Got 3 Level 27 characters. What's the best way of moving forward now? I haven't got any of the DLC yet. I raided a couple of times but never finished it.

GutZ31

That was awkward when he bought up Necrochasm and was promptly ignored

Cant recall their response bout glimmer cap increase either but I think they did say something roundabout

Bungie is not only trickling information, they are also withholding the trickles of the trickles to clarify said trickles.

down 2 orth

What's that guardian? Heavy ammo is about to spawn? Well you sure look tired, so I might delay your spawn so you can have a rest.

Ha ha, I've had that before. Or when you've just played your best match ever with a group of friends and just as those end of match drums are beating away, you get a swift boot from the server. Would you have gotten a G-horn in that after-match bounty giveaway? YOU WILL NEVER KNOW.

Well I'm going by the teaser and the datamine back in the day that it is held on Shrine only. Teaser only shows Shrine too. I guess we will find out in a couple hours. Wouldn't surprise me though. Remember this was supposed to be a weekend event like Iron Banner at some point and they just shoved it into HoW DLC to make it appear like it has more content.

You say that like you know the content was ready to go at launch but was held back for DLC.

So does the problem where you can respawn in Crucible happen often? Because it's really annoying...

Is it blocking you from respawning? I've experienced this in poor connections before and it does suck. It barely ever happens to me though, but I'm in Canada so not sure if your region makes it more common (no clue where you are lol just guessing). I sometimes wonder if people are able to do it on purpose though because it seems to happen to me in the most curious times then the other team ends up winning...

I'm trying to write up a mini guide for you but what level are you and what class? :p

Do you mean where it forces you to wait the full ten seconds?
Yeah, that happens to me still every so often. I think it's network related.

Every time I've seen it happen it seems to be due to Spawn weighting. As in, the spawn points are in the process of swapping but the game isn't quite sure if the swap is going to happen. So they hold off on spawning you in a totally unfair location until the system feels pretty sure about where to put you.

Every time I've seen it happen it seems to be due to Spawn weighting. As in, the spawn points are in the process of swapping but the game isn't quite sure if the swap is going to happen. So they hold off on spawning you in a totally unfair location until the system feels pretty sure about where to put you.

Yeah I've noticed that too but I didn't think Destiny could do that. Interesting.

shermas

I've been out the game since November. Got 3 Level 27 characters. What's the best way of moving forward now? I haven't got any of the DLC yet. I raided a couple of times but never finished it.

Hmmm... I have the DLC, so I'm in a bit of a different spot, BUT... I'd grind the ROC strikes and try to get enough materials/armor to rank your characters up. If you had the DLC, you could run the weekly strike for strange coins (to buy exotic armor this weekend from Xur).

If my memory serves, at 27 and 28, collecting enough class materials (hadronic essence, plating, wire) was the worst part of the grind. Do you already have a couple legendary armor pieces?

Doing the ROC strikes will also earn you marks, which you can use to buy the vendor gear in the tower... once you have those leveled up, you'll be at level 30. You can also (maybe) get legendary engrams which (might) roll out into legendary gear for your player during the ROC strikes, so that will speed up the process.

I can remember a match with DGAF in the previous IB, where we couldn't respawn for at least 2 minutes. The enemy team captured all the flags and heavy.
Ofcourse we still came out on top

jem0208

Is it blocking you from respawning? I've experienced this in poor connections before and it does suck. It barely ever happens to me though, but I'm in Canada so not sure if your region makes it more common (no clue where you are lol just guessing). I sometimes wonder if people are able to do it on purpose though because it seems to happen to me in the most curious times then the other team ends up winning...

I'm trying to write up a mini guide for you but what level are you and what class? :p
It could well be a poor connection. I live in the middle of nowhere in Wales. So I've got crap Internet and I'm probably thousands of miles from the host.

Aha, thanks :) I'm a level 8 Hunter.
Do you mean where it forces you to wait the full ten seconds?
Yeah, that happens to me still every so often. I think it's network related.
No, I press X to respawn, the countdown stops and I get stuck on the respawn screen. Pressing X again does nothing. I know the game hasn't crashed because I can still cycle through different cameras. It just doesn't let me spawn. I've sat for a minute or so and nothing would happen :/

I was winning a rumble game as well, so it was very annoying :p

Regardless of this little issue the game is a hell of a lot more fun than everyone claimed it was. The story seems pretty worthless but it's just so much fun running around killing things.

nOoblet16

In the midst of IB and weekly reset...if anyone wants to do salvage and get the Guardian Lord trophy done then join me !!

Edit: After the templar run

It could well be a poor connection. I live in the middle of nowhere in Wales. So I've got crap Internet and I'm probably thousands of miles from the host.

Aha, thanks :) I'm a level 8 Hunter.

No, I press X to respawn, the countdown stops and I get stuck on the respawn screen. Pressing X again does nothing. I know the game hasn't crashed because I can still cycle through different cameras. It just doesn't let me spawn. I've sat for a minute or so and nothing would happen :/

I was winning a rumble game as well, so it was very annoying :p

Regardless of this little issue the game is a hell of a lot more fun than everyone claimed it was. The story seems pretty worthless but it's just so much fun running around killing things.

Yeah it is. The shooty bang is top notch. I wrestle lately over whether I prefer the feel of Destiny or Halo, and that's pretty crazy considering I've loved Halo for long and I think Halo feels leagues better than almost every other shooter ever. Also, as is Bungie tradition, a lot of the "storytelling" is done through the environment and just paying attention to where you are and what you're doing. It's not as explicit or overt as in Halo with the cutscenes, but it's certainly there and I appreciate it a lot. The twitch ride-alongs that Bungie did were really cool in that respect. There's a lot of thought put into why things are placed where they are. Especially in the Cosmodrome for example.

I can remember a match with DGAF in the previous IB, where we couldn't respawn for at least 2 minutes. The enemy team captured all the flags and heavy.
Ofcourse we still came out on top

Haha yeah, that was on Firebase Delphi. Their team had 1 or 2 dudes alive who couldn't score points, because our whole team couldn't respawn. When we did, we unleashed hell upon them ofcourse. Good times.

Yeah I've noticed that too but I didn't think Destiny could do that. Interesting.

Bungie has used Spawn Weighting since Halo 2 I think. Basically, every area has a weight to it. You standing in that area shifts the weight to your team. You killing an enemy greatly shifts the weight to your team.

This is how people used to abuse Blind Watch. Rather than take the old C point, you would just go back behind the building and sit on one of those small roofs and wait for your friends to start spawning underneath you. It would take about 30-45 seconds, but if left alone, it would work. Then you could just rush C and B.

This is also why I instantly call out my Spawn point if it is an area that is not an area we control. If we control C and B on Shores of Time, and I just spawned in the Rocks. Then I know that the enemy has made a solid push at C. Even if C isn't ticking down. The area has been taken over. Thus, by telling my teammates I spawned in the rocks, they know to leave B and push back at C, before the Spawns flip and we lose the advantage.

Every map works like this. Some of them work way worse than others (I'm looking at you Blind Watch). This is also why some maps simply should not be Control maps. Because the B point often doesn't have its own spawn point weighting. Which means either A or C has a better vantage point over B, which creates unbalanced maps.

Did Atheon 3x on normal and 3x on hard last night and got a lot of nothing. I hadn't gotten a VoC drop in ages but I had at least 3 last night.

Jellyhorn still alludes me. I was kind of hoping doing normal first would drop some exotics for the team and then doing hard would have some more chances but of the 36 rolls only one person got an exotic.

jem0208

Yeah it is. The shooty bang is top notch. I wrestle lately over whether I prefer the feel of Destiny or Halo, and that's pretty crazy considering I've loved Halo for long and I think Halo feels leagues better than almost every other shooter ever. Also, as is Bungie tradition, a lot of the "storytelling" is done through the environment and just paying attention to where you are and what you're doing. It's not as explicit or overt as in Halo with the cutscenes, but it's certainly there and I appreciate it a lot. The twitch ride-alongs that Bungie did were really cool in that respect. There's a lot of thought put into why things are placed where they are. Especially in the Cosmodrome for example.

Haha, I still think the feel of Halo is better, however Destiny definitely gives it a good run for it's money. I feel like the shooting feels a bit more precise in Halo, also not so keen on ADS. Destiny is still excellent though.

Also I agree, the world building is sublime. It really is amazing just to wander around the landscapes. I've only seen Earth and the Moon so far as well! It is a shame they didn't attach an interesting narrative to the worlds though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom