• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT20| HoW Comes, No Raid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave_6

Raid summary from last night:

Biggest 'dry run' I think I've ever had in this game so far. There isn't much I need but I got ass mats and energy from everything, not one weapon drop at all. The ONLY thing I got of use was the gauntlets for my Titan from the first Templar kill. No other armor at all (oh yeah, I got two Warlock helmets from Atheon on the same drop). At least a couple of you got some things you were wanting.

Fun as usual but I probably pissed ya'll off when I stayed on the platform that one time. I was a Warlock with a charged super and probably could have taken Atheon out with one more shot. Oh well, I self revived and we went on (till no one picked up the relic on Mars).

phen0m24

Lol who's gonna go claim the url's?

Dude with all the coders and game creators here, we need a game called Narmer's Quest.Through the game he can only use second tier weapons, while the npc's have all the best ones. Then once he beats the game, he gets the best weapon and all the NPC's get nerfed. How? In NG+, hard mode is enabled, so AI teammates randomly jump off cliffs, say random phrases or swear word clusters, and occasionally fall asleep in battle. :p

Narmer's enemies are the Really Nasty Guys (RNG) a group of baddies
developers
determined not to let him win. He eventually overcomes anyway.

Take the millions you'll make and buy a real Gjallarhorn. :)

Just busting your chops bro I hope I'm there when you finally get it!!!!! :)

LTWood12

Raid summary from last night:

Gorgon's chest NM x3
As soon as I spawned in, science was waiting to revive me with his Hawkmoon pointed at my ghost just to make sure I didn't miss it. Sonofabitch.

I think ONE exotic dropped, but nothing noteworthy. Not terrible for NM, though, I guess, since we don't always get this CP and it's basically a bonus roll.

HM VoG - Spires through Confluxes
We spawn in at Spires, someone says "Alright, guys, flawless raider on HM; let's go." "GUARDIAN DOWN!". I'm not even sure what happened, but it was amusing.

These went fine; a few random deaths, but nothing exciting.

Oracles and Templar 3x
Cheesing Oracles was fine all 3 times.

Templar... we had some issues. We did the "group up by the rock" strategy rather than stay up top. I think people didn't have the right weapons equipped or something, and there definitely some careless deaths (a number of which were my own).

captscience added to his highlight reel by dying from the jump down to start Templar.

The last time we beat him though, I joked that WE had hit the enrage timer, because we steamrolled him. I think that was the fastest Templar kill I've participated in.

Verde pulled a Foil, but no FBs dropped. I think this is where LTWood12 got the gloves he hadn't gotten yet.

HM Gorgon's chest 3x
100% assmats, if memory serves.

Atheon 3x
A few wipes, but we were SO close to getting Atheon in one portal. We must have really wanted the clears, because people stuck around in the bubble for wayyyyyy too long. Gotta clear out at 5 seconds, guys. The few extra hits isn't worth dying and possibly wiping the run!

LTWood12 finally got his first Corrective Measure after ~30 HM Atheon kills.

1x NM CE full ??
3x NM Deathsinger and Crota kill
We spent way too long on the 3x Oracles/Templar, so we ran out of time and didn't run these.

Would you guys want to try to group up later in the week for this? Maybe try our hand at HM DS/Crota?

The drops were really stingy, but I think everyone had a good time again.

Congrats to LTWood12 for his 2 needed drops, and Verde for his Foil.

At least no Hawkmoons were stolen from me this week...

That was me that said Flawless, and I think Science died within two seconds of that lol. Enjoyed playing w/ you and the crew last night. I'd be up for doing some Crota runs tomorrow evening if you all want.

So pumped to finally get a Corrective Measure! Also happy to have a dupe Praedyth's Revenge and Atheon's Epilogue, ok not so much on the Epilogue.

From September to December (Pre-TDB), I probably did 12 VoG runs on my single Titan. In that time, I only ever got gauntlets and the chest piece. Wouldn't have hit level 30 before the expansion if not for iron banner. Fast-forward to my Warlock, and in three weeks of VoG I've gotten the gauntlets, chest, AND boots. Not doing me a lot of good at the moment (though it will be fun to have them in the era of etheric light), but it's funny how quick I get stuff when I'm not trying. It's like the RNG knows...

Anyway, thanks for organizing, and I'll keep an eye on the board if any Crota plans materialize.

I find this weird as when I dismantled one for the Bounty it didnt count towards it

dont know about that but I can tell you Vex counts towards eris bounty special weopon kills, vanguard fusion rifle kills, and I used vex a couple fo weeks ago to finish off the 200 kills part of the PI bounty. I also notived thast Vex DOESNT count towards the crucible. 10 headshots with a primary bounty.

jem0208

You can earn Rep for Vanguard by completing Daily Heroic story missions, Weekly Heroic Strikes, and Weekly Nightfall Strikes, as well as Vanguard Strike playlists. I think there may be a few other ways, too, but I can't recall off the top of my head. Those are all unlocked at higher levels, though. Pretty sure public events and Patrol missions award you a bit of Rep, too.

For Crucible I think bounties and wins are the only way to get rep, but again I'm not positive on that.

Alright, cheers! Time to grind I guess :p

Raid summary from last night.

Would you guys want to try to group up later in the week for this? Maybe try our hand at HM DS/Crota?

Thanks as always for organizing and the recap.

It was a nice change of pace to focus on VoG though it certainly reminded me how stingy the drops are compared to CE. Still no chest or boots for my Titan and I'm still looking for the Foil, Found Verdict (foolishly sharded previous ones I got), and dupe Fatebringers.

I'll certainly be looking to do Crota still. Let me know when you're thinking!

Arrrammis

dismantling exotic fusion rifles doesn't count toward it. Same thing happened to me when I dismantled Plan C. I was really disappointed!

Dang it Bungie, I wanted to create the ULTIMATE POCKET INFINITY by dismantling 10 pocket infinities to complete that part of the bounty. Disappointment.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So pretty much everything will give you XP. Crucible matches. Completing Story Missions (only the first time you do them via the map, then again for the "Daily Heroic"). Strikes (only the first time via the map, then again each time in the "Vanguard" Strike playlists that unlock for you at higher levels). Killing enemies. Bounties.

XP will level you up all the way to level 20, then the system changes and XP won't directly effect your level.

It works kind of weird though, because if you complete a bounty for say 5000 XP, you'll earn 5000 XP toward your level, and then 5000 XP for each item you have equipped, rather than it splitting the 5000 between everything. That is, you'll earn 5000 XP for each of your equipped weapons and armours AND subclass, so make sure you've equipped whatever gear you are interested in leveling when earning XP or turning in bounties.

Not everything is available at the beginning of the game. Certain things you won't even see until you've reached a certain level and then the game will give you a sort of notification letting you know that you can now access it.

In Destiny, there are Factions. Each Faction has at least one NPC in the tower where you can purchase their corresponding sets of weapons and armours and there are different criteria for leveling them and currencies for each.

The Factions (so far) are:

Vanguard
Crucible

Cryptarch

New Monarchy
Dead Orbit
Future War Cult

Iron Banner (only open for one week each month)

Eris Morn (The Dark Below NPC)

Vanguard is in charge of all PvE content. Crucible, PvP. So if you complete a Vanguard bounty, you earn "Reputation" (different from XP) toward leveling up Vanguard faction. Same with doing Crucible bounties toward the Crucible faction. There are a couple other ways to level up factions at higher levels as well once things start to unlock for you.

Each faction (Vanguard, Crucible, New Monarchy, Dead Orbit, Future War Cult, Iron Banner, and Eris Morn) requires that you be a certain "Rank" in that faction to purchase their corresponding gear. For most, it is Rank 3 for weapons, and Rank 2 for armours.

In addition to Reputation, Vanguard and Crucible both have "Marks", which is a type of currency you can earn by successfully completing certain activities. You earn around 5 Crucible Marks for winning a Crucible match, for example. And you earn some Marks for Vanguard by completing a Strike in the Vanguard Strike playlists (which unlock at higher levels). You can earn a maximum of 100 Marks per week, and you can hold a maximum of 200 Marks total (of the two types).

edit: Also, in regular Crucible (that is, not Iron Banner) your weapons' Attack values and your armours' Defense stats are all flattened and are not calculated, so you aren't at a disadvantage for having a low-level gun or what have you (aside from the perks on some of the higher level weapons or gear)

Once you hit level 20, your level will be tied to the Light stat of whatever armour you're wearing, which is why people tell you to rank up your Vanguard, Crucible, or whatever factions early. You won't be able to rank up New Monarchy, Future War Cult, or Dead Orbit until level 20, though.

The above is only the beginning. Experiment and play around with how you like to play your character, what class of weapons you prefer, etc. You can't really do anything wrong as most of what you do will progress you in one way or another. You will hit Level 20 before you earn enough XP to get all the abilities in your subclass, too, so there'll be a lot of variety in how your particular build plays. You'll feel more powerful too as you unlock new "perks" in your subclass that enable you to do increasingly powerful things. Destiny sort of starts you off with the basics and you feel kind of like a Spartan from Halo at first, but as you level, you'll get more and more access to more and more abilities. That's the whole "Become Legend" thing :p

I didn't cover everything, but that's the basic stuff for now. Hitting Level 20 and ranking up either your Vanguard or Crucible to level 2 early will make your life easier later though.

Oh ONE more thing, you'll notice some enemies have different coloured shields. There are 3, Blue (Arc), Purple (Void), and Orange (Solar). You can pop those shields with any type of damage, but they are particularly weak to weapons that do the same colour of damage as their shields. You'll start finding weapons that do one of the 3 types of damage pretty soon (Special and Heavy mainly). Certain enemies also do certain types of damage if you look at the colour of their bullets. Same goes for your special abilities like grenades and supers, too.

I hope that's not TOO confusing (or obvious!), the game does sort of overwhelm at first but it's worth it, in my opinion :p

Great concise resources for new players looking for a simple overview, worth including in the OP in some form. If you want more general detail on the progression process, check out the guides in the OP already.

Some additional sites:
I prefer www.xurday.com for Xur related stuff
I endorse Destiny Item Manager (chrome extension), it's outstanding.
There is also Packmule which I have not tried.

phen0m24

If you guys are doing those bounties now, you might want to wait to turn the final piece in until HoW drops. Why not keep it in inventory a few days and pick up a nice 365 variant instead of 331... just a thought

stb

Biggest 'dry run' I think I've ever had in this game so far. There isn't much I need but I got ass mats and energy from everything, not one weapon drop at all. The ONLY thing I got of use was the gauntlets for my Titan from the first Templar kill. No other armor at all (oh yeah, I got two Warlock helmets from Atheon on the same drop). At least a couple of you got some things you were wanting.

As captscience mentions, below, it's a great reminder about how much better the loot distribution is in CE. I'd forgotten just how tight-fisted VoG really is.

Fun as usual but I probably pissed ya'll off when I stayed on the platform that one time. I was a Warlock with a charged super and probably could have taken Atheon out with one more shot. Oh well, I self revived and we went on (till no one picked up the relic on Mars).

I don't think anyone was pissed; the tragedy was just that we ended up wiping that run (I think someone else died, too). Not that it wouldn't have been a treat to get him in one portal... =)

That was me that said Flawless, and I think Science died within two seconds of that lol. Enjoyed playing w/ you and the crew last night. I'd be up for doing some Crota runs tomorrow evening if you all want.

So pumped to finally get a Corrective Measure! Also happy to have a dupe Praedyth's Revenge and Atheon's Epilogue, ok not so much on the Epilogue.

From September to December (Pre-TDB), I probably did 12 VoG runs on my single Titan. In that time, I only ever got gauntlets and the chest piece. Wouldn't have hit level 30 before the expansion if not for iron banner. Fast-forward to my Warlock, and in three weeks of VoG I've gotten the gauntlets, chest, AND boots. Not doing me a lot of good at the moment (though it will be fun to have them in the era of etheric light), but it's funny how quick I get stuff when I'm not trying. It's like the RNG knows...

Anyway, thanks for organizing, and I'll keep an eye on the board if any Crota plans materialize.

Glad you could join us, and had a good time. And congrats, again, on the drops!

Thanks as always for organizing and the recap.

It was a nice change of pace to focus on VoG though it certainly reminded me how stingy the drops are compared to CE. Still no chest or boots for my Titan and I'm still looking for the Foil, Found Verdict (foolishly sharded previous ones I got), and dupe Fatebringers.

I'll certainly be looking to do Crota still. Let me know when you're thinking!

Yeah, I'm not sure what to do about Foil/FB runs. I really want a Foil, and would be quite happy to have dupe FBs, but I felt like it disrupted our normal energy last night.

Do people want to keep doing this? Maybe swap every other week, like Hawkian's newbie raids (CE one week, then VoG)?

Aside: I might actually want to run NM Atheon next week, I still haven't gotten the NM ship.

Homeboyd

If you guys are doing those bounties now, you might want to wait to turn the final piece in until HoW drops. Why not keep it in inventory a few days and pick up a nice 365 variant instead of 331... just a thought
I thought we learned that only PoE (trials too?) stuff will drop at 365 and everything else had to be "ascended"... no?

Haybro

Yep, I did this with thorn when TDB released.

Lol who's gonna go claim the url's?

Dude with all the coders and game creators here, we need a game called Narmer's Quest.Through the game he can only use second tier weapons, while the npc's have all the best ones. Then once he beats the game, he gets the best weapon and all the NPC's get nerfed. How? In NG+, hard mode is enabled, so AI teammates randomly jump off cliffs, say random phrases or swear word clusters, and occasionally fall asleep in battle. :p

Narmer's enemies are the Really Nasty Guys (RNG) a group of baddies
developers
determined not to let him win. He eventually overcomes anyway.

Take the millions you'll make and buy a real Gjallarhorn. :)

Just busting your chops bro I hope I'm there when you finally get it!!!!! :)

Ok, the bolded part above made me crack up.

I'm becoming slowly more convinced that I have an ex-gf that works for Bungie. If this is her form of revenge, it's arguably the most effective I've ever gone up against. Bitch.

ocean

Banned
Yeh Im using this, patiently waiting!

Do Vex Mythoclast kills count towards the 200 kills part after that?
Yeah. This is a great NF for it too. Go in with some Arc to take care of the Captains at the beginning of the strike. Once those are done switch to the Vex.

Shanks, Stealth Vandals and a million Thralls are up next. All of them easy kills with the Vex.

Dave_6

As captscience mentions, below, it's a great reminder about how much better the loot distribution is in CE. I'd forgotten just how tight-fisted VoG really is.

I don't think anyone was pissed; the tragedy was just that we ended up wiping that run (I think someone else died, too). Not that it wouldn't have been a treat to get him in one portal... =)

Do people want to keep doing this? Maybe swap every other week, like Hawkian's newbie raids (CE one week, then VoG)?

Aside: I might actually want to run NM Atheon next week, I still haven't gotten the NM ship.

I really shouldn't complain as I did at least get one thing I need from the VoG. Still need the chest for my Titan and the gauntlets for the Warlock.

Anyways, I'm up for whatever. If you still want to run some CE this week or start alternating each week, I'm fine with it. I wish I could give you some of the ships I have; I have TEN ships from both raids at my Warlock's postmaster!

Great concise resources for new players looking for a simple overview, worth including in the OP in some form. If you want more general detail on the progression process, check out the guides in the OP already.

Some additional sites:
I prefer www.xurday.com for Xur related stuff
I endorse Destiny Item Manager (chrome extension), it's outstanding.
There is also Packmule which I have not tried.

I like Destiny Item Viewer, but the Tower Ghost one seems to be updated almost every day so I use that. Pretty similar interface and feature set though. Tower Ghost also has apps for Firefox and Windows Phone.

http://dasilva333.github.io/TowerGhostForDestiny/

Mindlog

U1RbVSL.gif

Least impressive knife from last night, but one of the most satisfying because I really hate shotguns. Was doing so well with bounties I switched off of TLW/Blink to Thorn/Gunslinger fishing for postmortem medals.

Pretty sure I like Gunslinger much more than Bladedancer.

I doubt it'll work like that. I think that's why the ascension mechanic is there now, since Vanguard stuff etc. also comes at 331 damage but without damage upgrades.

Yeah, Destiny is certainly not the only game that has regularly terrible spawns. More than anything it's crazy to me how common bad spawn systems are today and how they really haven't improved at all over the last 7+ years.

The main issue with Destiny's spawning is that there aren't enough spawn clusters. The whole system is rigged to the control gametype, which inherently inhibits an entire section (the B zones) from allowing players to spawn there. Therefore, they will almost always be redirected to neutral A or C spawns.

Players in Destiny have the ability to contest or block spawns from greater ranges and heights than Bungie has had to deal with in the past. Spawn hives for players need to be clustered together and placed behind line of sight blockers to account for the variety of one hit kill abilities and the shorter kill times. The spawn influencing in Destiny seems very small because players are able to slip through the cracks in a spawn cluster's safety proximity as players spawn. It's seen less often in Clash and Skirmish because these modes have dynamic spawns and tend to spawn players as far away from enemies as possible. However, bad spawns are more common in Rumble and Control where you are more likely to repeatedly spawn near an enemy you just fought or at the zones you hold. I don't play Control because a team who doesn't understand the spawning will have trouble breaking out of a spawn trap. Control is entirely dependent on holding superior spawning, lest you have a hard time contesting any of the zones. To that end, i think it's a terribly borken gametype, but that's for another discussion.

There's no such thing as a perfect spawning system, but what i've gathered from Destiny's system is that it's very easy to abuse and - aside from the spawning animation - effectively outdated. There's no reason a player should be spawning on the same landing point for the duration of the match. I'd be surprised if there were more than a dozen spawn points on some of the maps.

need help.
what perks do I use for bladedancer in crucible. I feel like mine are all over the place and I dont know them well enuogh to make sure im utizing them properly. I eleive I have a high armor and agility build with maximum effect on super recharge. I use blink but I am still getting used to using it.

LTWood12

Glad you could join us, and had a good time. And congrats, again, on the drops!

Yeah, I'm not sure what to do about Foil/FB runs. I really want a Foil, and would be quite happy to have dupe FBs, but I felt like it disrupted our normal energy last night.

I really shouldn't complain as I did at least get one thing I need from the VoG. Still need the chest for my Titan and the gauntlets for the Warlock.

Anyways, I'm up for whatever. If you still want to run some CE this week or start alternating each week, I'm fine with it. I wish I could give you some of the ships I have; I have TEN ships from both raids at my Warlock's postmaster!

At this point I'm really just raiding for fun anyway. Don't have anything that I NEED. Whatever people want to do is fine. I will say I like that CE can be blown through quickly (on Normal at least), but yesterday was nice throwback. Can't remember the last time I did three hard VoG runs in a week.

I still have all 3 Nightfalls to do too.

It won't, you'll get a 331 attack version instead of a 302 attack one. You'll have to fill out all the circles and use an exotic shard to get to 365 regardless of the initial attack rating.

No point saving up exotic bounties imo.

I'm not even sure it'll work like that. As I said, vanguard weapons come with 331 base damage but there are no damage upgrades for it. You need to ascend for it to reach 365. Wouldn't surprise me if Exotics work in the same way.

I'm not even sure it'll work like that. As I said, vanguard weapons come with 331 base damage but there are no damage upgrades for it. You need to ascend for it to reach 365. Wouldn't surprise me if Exotics work in the same way.

In the last reveal they showed that weapons still had upgrade bubbles, just less in number and required less mats to upgrade.

most frustrating part of that bounty. took like a month trying to get them. they seemed to rain them before I got the bounty but after, every special engram tunred into a shot gun. sucks too becuase omnigul is one of the easiest NFs to get the 200 kills needed after that part.

Any tips on getting the 200 kills in NF? My Titan has 50/200 kills right now. I felt like my Vex wasn't doing any serious damage during NF

Any tips on getting the 200 kills in NF? My Titan has 50/200 kills right now. I felt like my Vex wasn't doing any serious damage during NF

huh, vex is actually a beast on the first part of the NF. especially when all the thralls come out. this NF especailly is easier to do than running around the cosmo drome looking for fuax darness zones. but you always do that.

phen0m24

I doubt it'll work like that. I think that's why the ascension mechanic is there now, since Vanguard stuff etc. also comes at 331 damage but without damage upgrades.

Yep, I did this with thorn when TDB released.

I thought we learned that only PoE (trials too?) stuff will drop at 365 and everything else had to be "ascended"... no?

Pretty sure Drizzy told me to do this before. The bounty is ready to be turned in, I turn it in and get a higher base damage exotic. If I'm wrong it wouldn't be the first time.

Namikaze1

Wow congratulations!
Thanks!

now delete all of them and enjoy your 15 minutes of fame when the video goes viral.
I'm not doing what you did.

Only three horns?
Ran out of Vault space back before the uppdate, dismantled a great number of them, and I only need 3 really.

there not all maxed.........

anyways, awesome! I cant believe you did that. what did the GF think? its going to come out one of 2 ways

She totally dumps your ass on he spot for being such a horrible time waster or...
She jumps your bones on the spot for being a thurough and patient lover
Well, I did say in the video description to ignore the dupes and that I have at least 1 of every exotic weapon maxed out which was my goal to begin with. :p

She told me not to waste time cause I'll never max them out before HoW is out. especially since I took a break from Destiny and I only play for 3-5 hours a day nowadays. Still haven't told her I did it.

Edit: Top of the page!
tom-cruise-dance-o.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom