• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT20| HoW Comes, No Raid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
trueskill. considering that i can get 50 kills and still lose a game of clash, i'm inclined to believe that the game has behind the scenes skill based matchmaking

nah i don't think so.

you got 50 kills because you're very good and the opposite team was mediocre.
you lost because your 5 random mates were terrible.

Also from the datamine:

Alternatively, if you happen to obtain the exotic weapon bounty An Unknown Patron, you can purchase an Osiris Coin for 1 Mote of Light

But like I mentioned before, they could have changed this.

Sorry, Darryl, but don't expect that to happen.

Thank you the dataminded info and for breaking my heart Nami. . :(

Deku Tree

Oh WoW Datto said on his video that all TDB PvP maps will be free to play for everyone once HoW drops and they'll be integrated into the regular playlists.

sorry for the double post...

Namikaze1

I prefer last week's stream over today's. Mainly due to the fact it wasn't so scripted and there wasn't a gag order on the guest.

Still have no word on how we can enter ToO other than the datamine. At least we got some useful information last week.

Deku Tree

Coming from the Xbox 1 the PS exclusive strikes are not that neat.

Actually I find them quite annoying.

Hey I wish everyone got to play them.
I bought a PS4 and I bought Destiny on PS4 because I knew it was getting a lot of exclusive content for Destiny even before the next gen consoles were on sale.
I am still excited to hopefully get another strike.

ToO looks pretty cool....ish.
heres a problem. well my propblem anyway. It is going to be very hard for a crucible scrub like me to get 2 other compentant players to help me through these matches. being that there is a cost of enterering the thing means that some of the best players here on DGAF dont want us silly scrubs possibly costing them a currency. And I wouldnt blame them in the least. it wouldnt be too much of a problem if it was 6v6 as there will be more players to help kick ass. but 3v3 pretty much means get gud.
And I want to, im just not made for super comptetive things like this. maybe it wont be as bad as I think it will. but if this gets popular
judging by the posts it probably wont be
gaf pvp scubs will have to group up together and be scubby together i guess

yeah i dunno.. might get a lil too salty for me

don't want people raging at me if my k/d ratio isn't up to par

might have to wait until bungie retools it when they see that its not a big hit

I prefer last week's stream over today's. Mainly due to the fact it wasn't so scripted and there wasn't a gag order on the guest.

Still have no word on how we can enter ToO other than the datamine. At least we got some useful information last week.

yeah i feel like this week wasn't very informative.. it was mostly just watching PVP

Full gallery of screens from PS blog post

https://www.flickr.com/photos/playstationblog/sets/72157649936886843

16689954503_717d794d1c_n.jpg

Watch

It's going to be a 5 hour grind to actually get passage

you lose 3 matches, oh well too bad

"fuck you, this is Goths fault for asking good questions"-Bungie

From PS blog:

PS4 and PS3 owners will get Timekeeper, a close-quarters battleground set inside a mysterious Vex device amidst the arid dunes of Mars. Black Shield is a medium-sized map set on Phobos. Thieves’ Den is an intimate arena set in the tunnels under Venus. Widow’s Court takes the fight to Earth’s European Dead Zone, a striking thematic departure for Destiny — expect crumbling gothic spires, stained glass, and overgrown plant life.

As a mediocre to average PvPer, ToO will give me way too much anxiety to have much fun. I will give it a shot, but I didn't see much of a reason to play this mode if you aren't on a killer team.

I see we get rewards based on turning in our cards agter 3 losses or 7? 9? Wins or something. Is the reward strictly based on the number of wins or is there some type of rep gained to eventually unlock stuff over time goven enough participation. If it is all skill based, then I am out, I will never get the top rewards so why bother. Let the PvP gods have their trophy gear and I will play something else.

yup, the real winners of PS exclusivity are the xbox players who dont have to quit a roc strike just becuase undying mind shows up or dust palace shows up. I dont know anyone who likes those strikes. I wish there was a way to prevent them from showing up.

we did get hawkmoon though :)

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015...-wolves-crucible-details-new-playstation-map/

Across the board, Bungie is laser focused on making Crucible matches more rewarding.

You’ll earn double the engrams and marks in Crucible matches, as well as guaranteed rewards for participating in the daily featured game. Not bad!

Then there’s Trials of Osiris, a new weekly event designed to captivate high-level Crucible players with new challenges and exclusive payouts. The pitch: you gather your best gear and two friends to take on a punishing 3v3 Elimination challenge. The Trials of Osiris challenge opens up each Friday and closes each Sunday.

These Elimination matches are tight, intense affairs where every kill counts. Fall, and you’ll need to be revived by a teammate (unless you’re a Warlock sporting that uber-handy Fireborn self-revive ability). The first team to win five rounds claims victory, though you’re free to keep competing again and again all weekend long.

To participate in the Trials, you’ll need to buy a Trials Passage from Brother Vance, a new NPC in The Reef, House of Wolves’ new social space. This Passage works like a scorecard; once you’re ready to claim your hard-earned rewards, you’ll hand the Passage into Brother Vance for a shot at winning exclusive weapons and armor. Take note: the Osiris-themed gear is some of the best in the game.

yup, the real winners of PS exclusivity are the xbox players who dont have to quit a roc strike just becuase undying mind shows up or dust palace shows up. I dont know anyone who likes those strikes. I wish there was a way to prevent them from showing up.

we did get hawkmoon though :)

I don't mind dust palace but Undying mind can go suck a dick

Namikaze1

As a mediocre to average PvPer, ToO will give me way too much anxiety to have much fun. I will give it a shot, but I didn't see much of a reason to play this mode if you aren't on a killer team.

I see we get rewards based on turning in our cards agter 3 losses or 7? 9? Wins or something. Is the reward strictly based on the number of wins or is there some type of rep gained to eventually unlock stuff over time goven enough participation. If it is all skill based, then I am out, I will never get the top rewards so why bother. Let the PvP gods have their trophy gear and I will play something else.
The more you win, the more you unlock in the Osiris vendor. That's what I got from it. Seems like there's no rep system for it.

I really hope this is a new pallet for Destiny in the story mode. I'd love to fight in that type of environment. I'm guessing it is, given how they set PvP maps in PvE themed environments.

I've never ventured into "King's Watch" by glitching into it but maybe it looks like this?

It is the dirty secret few have talked about, but it is known among the PS crowd that the exclusive strikes feel like an afterthought thrown in at the last minute.

Hawkmoon on the other hand...

It sounds pretty fun to me. I love competitive PvP but I really can't do it on 3 chars each week. I'll probably focus on 1 char a week for ToO.

I'm still sad there isn't a 6v6 option for either end game content.

Maybe a casual version of ToO with 6 people would be cool. Where it's regular matchmaking and the rewards just take a little longer (or more quests like IB but more dynamic) than hardcore PvP.

It sounds pretty fun to me. I love competitive PvP but I really can't do it on 3 chars each week. I'll probably focus on 1 char a week for ToO.

I'm still sad there isn't a 6v6 option for either end game content.

this is what happens when everyone yells for MM raids. Bungie knows thell be a poor experience so the dont include them. so what happens. they just make it easier to find groups instead.

this is what happens when everyone yells for MM raids. Bungie knows thell be a poor experience so the dont include them. so what happens. they just make it easier to find groups instead.

Or you know, they don't look at how Blizzard does it with matchmaking and decide to just be oblivious to the existence of matchmade Raiding. And PvP.

It is the dirty secret few have talked about, but it is known among the PS crowd that the exclusive strikes feel like an afterthought thrown in at the last minute.

Hawkmoon on the other hand...

Lol who cares. Game is starved for content as is. Xbox users will take it gladly. There should be thrown in afterthought things on a monthly basis. Backward Strikes. Mirror Mode Strikes. Boss Rush. Etc.

Can't wait to see how Bungie spins it later this year.

"All new free content pack for Xbox, praise us!"

Thought we knew this from the start..?

Didn't they say each of the DLC would have a PS exclusive MP Map, Strike and Exotic Weapon?

Yeah we did. I was just joking. Some people thought since Bungie doesn't talk about it on their website that it wouldn't be happening again. Nope. They just pretend they're not doing it and it's all Playstation business.

haven't seen any footage of theives den yet, but i think i'm optimistic about the new maps

timekeeper and widows court both blew my mind in the first few frames. the art direction is really good, but i'm worried the former is too cramped and the latter is too big. we'll see how they play eventually. i really want timekeeper to be good but i'm afraid it'll be ruined by blink shotgun.

black shield is nothing like i imagined. it honestly looks boring and dull, but it's symmetrical and looks like it fixes both delphi and pantheon's issues by being rounder and more fair. i'm just afraid that it's too flat and segmented.

thieve's den looks like it has some good height advantage and it's also symmetrical.

stb

*snip*
Tldr: pointers for someone coming from a PC background for shooters to analog sticks? Any youtube videos with tips/tricks perhaps?

Honestly, suffer through it; practice makes acceptable.

Destiny is my first multiplayer console FPS, and I nearly didn't play it because I've been a KBM PC player for as long as there's been FPS games.

My first few weeks were SUPER painful and frustrating. My only "advice" is to just accept that you're going to suck for a while, and to trust the autoaim.

Kalamari

I don't think Bungie expects ToO to be overwhelmingly popular. I think they have designed something fun for the competitive PvP population, which isn't that large, and I think they have succeeded in that regard.

Kyne

ToS is a great idea. Too long the game has been strictly raid-oriented when it came to high-end gear. PvP needed something too.

You're great at PvE? Go play the new raid and get the best gear. Great at PvP? Go play ToS and get the best gear.

I'm honestly not sure why everyone is getting angry. All they're doing is filling a gap that's existed since the beginning. I don't have a third friend and that sucks, but I'll find one.

nOoblet16

Is there even a way to match based on skill? What stats do they have that match skill. NONE.

KDR is one, total kills is another, matches played is one as well.
They have a battle rank at bungie.net for PvP.

Advanced Warfare does this and it makes the game terrible because when you are "skilled" (according to the game) and get put into matches with other players who are skilled....the game becomes monotonous, as there is no room for experimenting, fun etc as anything else you do apart from using the best loadout would mean you die a lot. As for people in the lower skill gap, the game becomes too simple.

Navy Bean

ToS is a great idea. Too long the game has been strictly raid-oriented when it came to high-end gear. PvP needed something too.

You're great at PvE? Go play the new raid and get the best gear. Great at PvP? Go play ToS and get the best gear.

I'm honestly not sure why everyone is getting angry. All they're doing is filling a gap that's existed since the beginning. I don't have a third friend and that sucks, but I'll find one.

Sure, except that there is no new raid...

I don't think Bungie expects ToO to be overwhelmingly popular. I think they have designed something fun for the competitive PvP population, which isn't that large, and I think they have succeeded in that regard.

Why would they waste time on a new mode if they didn't think it would be popular? There are tons of things they can do to appease the hardcore PvP community outside of new modes like adding game lobbies and custom matches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom