• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT20| HoW Comes, No Raid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfn_pie

GAF help me.

I have been a PC gamer for about 15 years. I had a PS3, but I used it primarily for netflix, mlb.tv, etc

So I jumped in with an Xbox One and picked up Destiny. The game is fun but- how does anyone actually aim with a controller. I feel like a retarded armadillo. I am really missing the precision and accuracy of a mouse/keyboard.

I noticed there is some kind of magnetic auto-aim thing going on as well. I try turning my sensitivity down and I am not aiming fast enough. I turn my sensitivity up and I keep overshooting people.

In PvE, it isn't that big of a deal. I tried some PvP last night and holy shit. It was rough.

Tldr: pointers for someone coming from a PC background for shooters to analog sticks? Any youtube videos with tips/tricks perhaps?

I've been using a Xim for years. It's worth checking out. If you have any specific questions let me know, would love to help out.

Should be home super early tonight, so I can go to bed and be back to work early as shit, but would like to finish the VOG raid.

Mindlog

Legendary Engram!
It's a class item :\
Holy crap it's the one class item I was about to buy!

"All My Victims Cloak"
I've now received both Hunter Crucible cloaks from drops.

Some missed stuff the stream didn't discuss:

- Crucible marks and rep are doubling across the board

- Trials passages cost 100 glimmer

- There are 12 new legendary items that can drop in the Crucible

- Etheric light is a guaranteed drop at level 3 and level 5 of Iron Banner

- If you ascend an exotic, you will not lose progress but will have to continue leveling an unfinished item

- Crucible rewards have doubled in their frequency and the better you play, the more likely the reward

- Dark Below crucible maps will soon be free to all

- Trials matchmaking (to clarify, this is between your fireteam and your opponent. You must make your own fireteam) will choose connection over skill

- There will be an Elimination Mode you can play all the time (Trials minus the bells and whistles)

- Completing the daily crucible objective will give you a reward package that will contain Passage Coins for items that will help in Trials of Osiris, glimmer, motes of light, and more.

http://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheG...ws_ign_has_revealed_crucible_and_trials_info/

oh nice this all sounds good

Ophelion

Legendary Engram!
It's a class item :\
Holy crap it's the one class item I was about to buy!

"All My Victims Cloak"
I've now received both Hunter Crucible cloaks from drops.

Hey, I've got that cloak! I got it from a legendary engram too. It's pretty swanky looking...

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Anyone have Gorgons Checkpoint?, need for my 3 Characters, also want to do 2 NF's and 2 Weeklies if anyone is interested

Same here... is that good for 2nd day?

It's definitely not bad, we're halfway to the max rank and the buff multiplier is getting higher every day.
Just keep on winning like we did and we'll be rank 5 in no time! Also, weapons start to drop after reaching rank 3 if I'm correct.
Anything special you want to buy this IB?

ToS is a great idea. Too long the game has been strictly raid-oriented when it came to high-end gear. PvP needed something too.

You're great at PvE? Go play the new raid and get the best gear. Great at PvP? Go play ToS and get the best gear.

I'm honestly not sure why everyone is getting angry. All they're doing is filling a gap that's existed since the beginning. I don't have a third friend and that sucks, but I'll find one.
Preach. No MM, the requirements for gear, 3v3, no respawns, etc make me have sympathy for some of the complaints but that only goes so far. Y'all should have expected something like this, it's basically been hyped as a more hardcore IB. Most here already run in Gaf groups during IB anyway so it really isn't that different.

Tbh, I get the impression the real anxiety is coming from the fact that the good players are gonna be in high demand and a lot are afraid their gonna be sos with no one to carry them. While that can appear to be the case, we should remember that with no MM, LFG will fill in the gap and plenty of people will be using it to find groups.

Now I can't say it won't turn ugly, and have a lot of stat elitism in play when forming teams but that's really par for the course. I'm pretty sure if someone was bad at raiding or a strike you wouldn't have much sympathy when they complained about not getting gear. This is the same for PVP. You can't be expected to be handed the rewards. You have to put in the work to get good.

Oh WoW Datto said on his video that all TDB PvP maps will be free to play for everyone once HoW drops and they'll be integrated into the regular playlists.
Based Bungie. Cauldron and the Black Garden map are too good to get locked away behind DLC playlists. Sky shock can be deleted for all I care. Will probably be relegated to Clash/Combined Arms anyway.
Yeah, you're right, I was confused because the emblems were the same. I've got three Exotic Bounties on my Warlock and two on my Hunter and Titan each. It's getting ridiculous.
There's like 5 exotic bounties in total. Sounds like you probably have dupes. I don't know why you'd do them again just for exotic shards. Most of the bounties are really tedious and time consuming, not to mention they're taking up a bounty slot,
So the generally feed back is ToO is good for Pvp players but bad for non-pvp players?
Sort of. Those who are bad at PVP or don't have guaranteed teams are gonna have a tough time, but they shouldn't expect anything less for end game PVP content....

Axoman

Since it appears that ascendant materials won't be needed for new HoW weapons and armor, will that new legendary gear break down into Etheric Light?

Homeboyd

Since it appears that ascendant materials won't be needed for new HoW weapons and armor, will that new legendary gear break down into Etheric Light?
Good question on what they'll break down to.. guessing just glimmer and armor parts. Definitely not going to be etherics though. Those will be... harder... to obtain.

It's definitely not bad, we're halfway to the max rank and the buff multiplier is getting higher every day.
Just keep on winning like we did and we'll be rank 5 in no time! Also, weapons start to drop after reaching rank 3 if I'm correct.
Anything special you want to buy this IB?

Perhaps just the sniper rifle. I don't really need anything.

Mostly just enjoying PVP. Never done banner till now.

Good question on what they'll break down to.. guessing just glimmer and armor parts. Definitely not going to be etherics though. Those will be... harder... to obtain.

I think they will be no more rare than Raid gear drops since it essentially takes that role in the endgame.

Good for Good PvP players, bad for bad PvP players.

Yay! Sounds super exciting.

I really hope there isn't something crazy like gjallarhorns locked behind this mode. Maybe if it was 6 v 6 abd weaker players could hang back and be useful in a support role, but 3 v 3...nah. I just hope that a loss isn't too punishing that I can be carried enough to get the cool looking helmets.

Yay! Sounds super exciting.

I really hope there isn't something crazy like gjallarhorns locked behind this mode. Maybe if it was 6 v 6 abd weaker players could hang back and be useful in a support role, but 3 v 3...nah. I just hope that a loss isn't too punishing that I can be carried enough to get the cool looking helmets.

The drops are pure RNG so skill won't matter, just grind, but the vendor rewards will be out of reach for the average player. 7+ wins out of 10 is not easy. Only top tier teams will pull that out.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Bungie is fucking rocking it. ToO and all the Crucible updates sound amazing. So stoked. All you XB1 people better play ToO with me! If DestinyGAF doesn't start having a more active XB1 community soon I might have to join another forum. :-(

Axoman

Would be nice if you at least got Etheric Light back from a piece of gear that you put it in to.

Axoman

Bungie is fucking rocking it. ToO and all the Crucible updates sound amazing. So stoked. All you XB1 people better play ToO with me! If DestinyGAF doesn't start having a more active XB1 community soon I might have to join another forum. :-(

I added you a few days ago. Would be willing to give ToO a try with you, but you'll probably have to carry me.

Only 100 glimmer for a ToO admission? Why even bother. Forcing you to the tower every ~10 matches or so. Stupid. Just drop the rewards when due.

Now I can't say it won't turn ugly, and have a lot of stat elitism in play when forming teams but that's really par for the course. I'm pretty sure if someone was bad at raiding or a strike you wouldn't have much sympathy when they complained about not getting gear. This is the same for PVP. You can't be expected to be handed the rewards. You have to put in the work to get good.

This is undeniably false. Good PvE players consistently take newbs and less than stellar players through the current endgame content.

There's like 5 exotic bounties in total. Sounds like you probably have dupes. I don't know why you'd do them again just for exotic shards. Most of the bounties are really tedious and time consuming, not to mention they're taking up a bounty slot,

Yeah, I'm scrapping them.

This is undeniably false. Good PvE players consistently take newbs and less than stellar players through the current endgame content.

Yup. Hawkian runs his newbie raids weekly, and alot of people get help through GAF on learning raids/doing raids. PvP is different-in a 3v3 match, where every person counts, it's going to be impossible to carry people. Well not impossible, but harder than PvE stuff.

Thats a good point, but it depends on the reward structure. Most sherpas take care of their own rewards first and then take newbs through. I imagine ToO will be similar.

Some missed stuff the stream didn't discuss:

- Crucible marks and rep are doubling across the board

- Trials passages cost 100 glimmer

- There are 12 new legendary items that can drop in the Crucible

- Etheric light is a guaranteed drop at level 3 and level 5 of Iron Banner

- If you ascend an exotic, you will not lose progress but will have to continue leveling an unfinished item

- Crucible rewards have doubled in their frequency and the better you play, the more likely the reward

- Dark Below crucible maps will soon be free to all

- Trials matchmaking (to clarify, this is between your fireteam and your opponent. You must make your own fireteam) will choose connection over skill

- There will be an Elimination Mode you can play all the time (Trials minus the bells and whistles)

- Completing the daily crucible objective will give you a reward package that will contain Passage Coins for items that will help in Trials of Osiris, glimmer, motes of light, and more.

http://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheG...ws_ign_has_revealed_crucible_and_trials_info/

I do like a lot of these changes though, they're making pvp more rewarding (finally).

The passage is pretty much free (only 100 glimmer), so you can keep trying ToO as much as you want. You can get to max level just playing IB. Then they are making it more rewarding for playing better, which was definitely needed.

The drops are pure RNG so skill won't matter, just grind, but the vendor rewards will be out of reach for the average player. 7+ wins out of 10 is not easy. Only top tier teams will pull that out.

I mean locked to the ToO game mode. If I have to earn tickets in crucible, then risk those abd the tickets of my teammates, then there is a good chance that I'll stay away altogether.

It would be like having the tickets to a raid being rng based on nightfalls, then the raid kicking you to orbit after three wipes and taking your ticket.

Honestly I would be ok if it was just 1 round instead of 5. That way it becomes a faster experience going through 10 possible matches, and not cause stupid fatigue through a possible of 90 rounds.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I added you a few days ago. Would be willing to give ToO a try with you, but you'll probably have to carry me.
Sweet, I'll add you back, though I'll honestly want to play ToO with people who're good at PvP. We can play Prisons of Elders tho!

I do like a lot of these changes though, they're making pvp more rewarding (finally).

The passage is pretty much free (only 100 glimmer), so you can keep trying ToO as much as you want. You can get to max level just playing IB. Then they are making it more rewarding for playing better, which was definitely needed.

Wait, I'm just catching up here. Only 100 glimmer for a ticket? So I basically have 250 tickets on the bank right now? I guess it's not much of a punishment to lose then. I thought tickets were rare or something.

I'll be on looking for people when it launches to get the weapons/armor, but after that I probably won't be playing it. Regular Elimination maybe, but I get bored when I have to try my hardest every single match. Really want that Anubis armor for my Warlock, Hunter armor is meh and I don't like using Titans in PvP.

I really wish they'd put some better singleplayer endgame content into Destiny. Not really a fan of Raids or serious PvP (in a game where you can get an almost guaranteed instakill every 3-5 minutes). Maybe PoE will be possible/intended to do solo instead of throwing way too much at lone players because everything is designed for teams of 3-6.

shaw515

Neo Member

Add me all you xbox one people. I play quite a bit.

On a side note, I don't understand all the anger regarding no matchmaking. I use LFG for everything in Destiny and I would say 95% of the time there are no problems with the groups. Some of the best players I have met have been through the site. For those that have not tried it and are missing out on some of the best parts of Destiny, I highly recommend finding groups through the site. I think a lot of the concerns posted on here are quite exaggerated.

jem0208

Sweet, I'll add you back, though I'll honestly want to play ToO with people who're good at PvP. We can play Prisons of Elders tho!
I would offer to play, not sure about spending £20 on the HoW though, considering I bought the full game for less than that...

PS4 ToO sign up sheet? If a coin only cost 100 glimmer then I will continue to play until I have enough wins for whatever armor is available that week.

Wait, I'm just catching up here. Only 100 glimmer for a ticket? So I basically have 250 tickets on the bank right now? I guess it's not much of a punishment to lose then. I thought tickets were rare or something.

From what I gathered you can keep trying as much as you want. However, your progress is obviously going to reset.

hydruxo

Looks like Sunsingers are going to be clutch for ToO. Watched Planet Destiny's ToO impressions video just now and his team was up 4 rounds to zero then the other team came all the way back and won mainly because they had a sunbro who would self res, revive the whole team, then take everybody else out.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Whoa, actual responses! I'm down to play with you all.

I'll be on looking for people when it launches to get the weapons/armor, but after that I probably won't be playing it. Regular Elimination maybe, but I get bored when I have to try my hardest every single match. Really want that Anubis armor for my Warlock, Hunter armor is meh and I don't like using Titans in PvP.

I really wish they'd put some better singleplayer endgame content into Destiny. Not really a fan of Raids or serious PvP (in a game where you can get an almost guaranteed instakill every 3-5 minutes). Maybe PoE will be possible/intended to do solo instead of throwing way too much at lone players because everything is designed for teams of 3-6.
I love competitive PvP, but yeah, sometimes I just like to relax and not take things so seriously. Thankfully there's still the normal Crucible for that. And I'm excited as hell about what PoE could be... I really hope Bungie nails it, and given their recent win streak, I'm optimistic.

Edit: Jem, a lot of the stuff coming alongside HoW doesn't actually require the DLC to play, but I'm not sure what does / doesn't require it.

border

Not a chance. Raid gear is almost a guaranteed drop in CE. It will not be that easy to jump to 34.
From IGN:
Etheric light is the new item that lets you upgrade all your gear to the new maximum level. Bungie confirmed that you’ll receive one from hitting level 3 in Iron Banner, one for hitting level 5 in Iron Banner, as random drops in Trials of Osiris, and as a supplemental drop in Nightfall missions.

It sounds like Etheric Light will be a guaranteed drop from Nightfalls.

Most dedicated players will be able to get at least one character to 34 in a week. 4 Nightfalls = 4 Etheric Light.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom