• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT20| HoW Comes, No Raid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ophelion

Last night, I was patrolling on Mars for a bounty when the public event notification went off. It was an Elimination event that I could see spawn right on top of a newbie. A level 14-16 suddenly in battle with one of those big Cabal bastards and no one else around. I didn't need the event too much, had already gotten my gold for the day, but it looked like he was going to get stomped, so I thought, What the hell. How often do you get to the cavalry?

I ran and jumped off a nearby dune and blinked in overhead. While still in midair, I popped my super and rained a shattered Nova Bomb down on the bad guy. Landed in between the baby guardian and the enemy and started pushing him back with Thorn rounds. The newbie came out from the crates he'd been hiding behind and we smashed that guy together.

Afterwards, I waved his way before jumping back on my bike and speeding off to find my next bounty.

This game can be frustrating sometimes, but then stuff like that happens and I just feel like such a Big Damn Hero. It was awesome.

shaw515

Neo Member
Maybe this is obvious but I missed it: Say you get to 8 wins and while going for the last win you get your third loss and are eliminated. Does that mean you miss out on all those other reward levels if you have not cashed in?

shermas

Add me all you xbox one people. I play quite a bit.

On a side note, I don't understand all the anger regarding no matchmaking. I use LFG for everything in Destiny and I would say 95% of the time there are no problems with the groups. Some of the best players I have met have been through the site. For those that have not tried it and are missing out on some of the best parts of Destiny, I highly recommend finding groups through the site. I think a lot of the concerns posted on here are quite exaggerated.

I completely agree with this statement. I can rarely find Xbone folks here and LFG has been pretty good to me. Every once in a while, you land in a bad group, but it's not a major issue. I've added a bunch of people from LFG to my friends list.

From IGN:

It sounds like Etheric Light will be a guaranteed drop from Nightfalls.

Most dedicated players will be able to get at least one character to 34 in a week. 4 Nightfalls = 4 Etheric Light.

Will raid drops after the DLC drop produce armor that can reach 34? Because if so then that will be easier, just run both raids hoping for armor drop. Save some 5k bounties, level those bad boys up. Anything you don't have use Etheric Light on the 1 piece you probably didn't get, assuming you will be using an exotic for 1 piece of armor slot.

i'm assuming prison of elders is gonna be like hard crota until you ascend your gear?

as in underleveled?

otherwise whats the point of being level 34

hydruxo

Maybe this is obvious but I missed it: Say you get to 8 wins and while going for the last win you get your third loss and are eliminated. Does that mean you miss out on all those other reward levels if you have not cashed in?

Your wins aren't wiped if you get 3 losses, you can still use your passage card for gear. If you get 3 losses on that passage then you just can't get any more wins on it until you pick up a new passage.

You can hear one of the designers talk about it at 6:10 in this video

I haven't been able to check out the video yet, how much progress are we taking about? Just the current set of games? 10 @ 5 minutes each...about an hour or so?

They really didn't specify too much. Let's say you won five games before being eliminated, you can buy all the rewards up to the five win mark. However, if you want to get eight wins reward, you have to restart from the beginning.

At least that's what I imagine, the stream was somewhat unclear.

This is undeniably false. Good PvE players consistently take newbs and less than stellar players through the current endgame content.
That is different though, mainly because it's Gaf carrying Gaf members through raids and strikes. No doubt everyone here is benevolent on the PVE co-op side with eachother.

Yet, one can find complaints from members here against randies with no clue how to play during the weekly heroic strike or pugs using LFG for raids.

It's not like this won't be the case for ToO. I'm sure Zoba and other good PVP players will still carry some PVE guys through ToO with little complaint. I'd doubt a lot would be that kind to other randoms outside of GAF who can't help themselves though when the skill ceiling and stakes will be arguably higher than most PVE content. Carrying someone in ToO will likely be a bigger burden than carrying someone in CE or VOG.

shermas

I hope I'm wrong, but I feel like Etheric Light is going to be hard to come by... I don't play Iron Banner and I have a feeling it won't be handed out after every completed Nightfall.

On a side note, does anyone have the Gorgon CP on hard (xbone) I can snag?

GutZ31

They really didn't specify too much. Let's say you won five games before being eliminated, you can buy all the rewards up to the five win mark. However, if you want to get eight wins reward, you have to restart from the beginning.

At least that's what I imagine, the stream was somewhat unclear.

To me, the whole thing seemed to be a way for bungie to try and pat themselves on the back, and give us no real news besides some info about ToO.
Didn't even detail anything.
After watching it a few times, I am just as in the know as I was before watching it.
The only thing I really learned was the win/lose system for ToO.

jem0208

Whoa, actual responses! I'm down to play with you all.

I love competitive PvP, but yeah, sometimes I just like to relax and not take things so seriously. Thankfully there's still the normal Crucible for that. And I'm excited as hell about what PoE could be... I really hope Bungie nails it, and given their recent win streak, I'm optimistic.

Edit: Jem, a lot of the stuff coming alongside HoW doesn't actually require the DLC to play, but I'm not sure what does / doesn't require it.

I'm down to play anything really! I was referring specifically to ToO though in the first post.

I'll need some people to carry me through the raid when I finally get to the level required :p Not sure how long that's going to take though because I'm in the middle of exams and won't be able to play properly for a while.

So it sounds like most people are going to be hoping to win at first 8 matches on their first character to get the armor and weapon. And then just 5 on their next two to get the armor for the week.

I'm down to play anything really! I was referring specifically to ToO though in the first post.

I'll need some people to carry me through the raid when I finally get to the level required. Not sure how long that's going to take though because I'm in the middle of exams and won't be able to play properly for a while.

I'm always up to help those in need.

Wait I thought you could just restart and go again from the wins you have

I don't think so. Losing 3 sends you back to the beginning and you have to buy a new ticket to get into it again for 100 glimmer. There are 3 different buffs/boons that you can buy that mess around with that a bit though, but I can't remember exactly what they do. I think one starts you off with a free win, another makes a win count as 2, and I think the last one nullifies a loss for you. Not positive on that though.

That is different though, mainly because it's Gaf carrying Gaf members through raids and strikes. No doubt everyone here is benevolent on the PVE co-op side with eachother.

Yet, one can find complaints from members here against randies with no clue how to play during the weekly heroic strike or pugs using LFG for raids.

It's not like this won't be the case for ToO. I'm sure Zoba and other good PVP players will still carry some PVE guys through ToO with little complaint. I'd doubt a lot would be that kind to other randoms outside of GAF who can't help themselves though when the skill ceiling and stakes will be arguably higher than most PVE content. Carrying someone in ToO will likely be a bigger burden than carrying someone in CE or VOG.

I think most of the complaints about randoms and matchmaking are due to lack of communication and commitment, not skill. I've been with many groups that have helped friends of a friend get gear. I don't see that happening with ToO, but I'll be sure to call on you when the time comes to prove me wrong :)

But yes, I think the burden will be much greater, and due to that, I am disappoint.

I did it! I finally did it!

Screw all who doubted me! Mainly my GF, my brother, Zack, Fig, and Todd!

kLd6aU5.gif

I didn't doubt you, I just told you to stop.

I don't think so. Losing 3 sends you back to the beginning and you have to buy a new ticket to get into it again for 100 glimmer. There are 3 different buffs/boons that you can buy that mess around with that a bit though, but I can't remember exactly what they do. I think one starts you off with a free win, another makes a win count as 2, and I think the last one nullifies a loss for you. Not positive on that though.

Man. . I don't want to grind this long. I wonder what the trials packages will hold that are secret until you open them.

Looking for ToO team :( willing to practice in Skirmish until it drops.

I'll need some people to carry me through the raid when I finally get to the level required :p Not sure how long that's going to take though because I'm in the middle of exams and won't be able to play properly for a while.

Add me: pok3r fac3d

If I'm on Destiny I'm usually down to do anything lol

darthbob

ToO Passage costing 100 Glimglams sounds kinda odd, like why even bother at that point? Would've figured it'd cost a Mote of Light or a Strange Coin.

Namikaze1

I didn't doubt you, I just told you to stop.
I recall you posting how I am never going to do it. It was only after a few back and forth posts that you said to just stop in this endeavor.

Same here. I knew he had the time and the desire to do it.
Desire? Ahahahahahaha!

I had no such desires. Heck, I gave up doing so back before BB was out. It was only recently where I decided to just fuck it and finish it for the hell of it.

It feels as if I've been forcing myself to play these days. I just don't have the urge to play games lately. All I want to do is watch movies but I have already watched the good ones.

Anyway, why do you keep switching avatars?!

ToO Passage costing 100 Glimglams sounds kinda odd, like why even bother at that point? Would've figured it'd cost a Mote of Light or a Strange Coin.

They probably know the mode is bullshit, with the whole 'Make your own team', 'Matches are connection based, not skill based', that either means it's going to be incredibly hard to actually gear the gear drops, or incredibly easy. Knowing Bungie, it's the former.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member

Sweet, let's play sometime. I don't find the raids very fun, but I'm down to carry you through weekly heroics / nightfalls!

Deku Tree

So if Etheric light is a guaranteed NF drop and we get three on May 19... Then do you level up one toon to 34 or three toons to 33 or upgrade your Fatebringer?

jem0208

Add me: pok3r fac3d

If I'm on Destiny I'm usually down to do anything lol

I'm always up to help those in need.

Sweet, let's play sometime. I don't find the raids very fun, but I'm down to carry you through weekly heroics / nightfalls!

Awesome, like I said I'm down to play anything. I literally only got the game today so I'm still figuring everything out.

Pretty sure I've already got you added Kittens, I'll add you two when I get the chance.

Gt is iL Meanbean Li

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom