• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT20| HoW Comes, No Raid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zocano

I wouldn't call what we got in VoG "progression". More like "weekly frustration".

I think the system they're implementing now is far better. People want to look special, look different from everyone else. Having everyone run around in raid gear kinda counters that. Now, if you want to be a badass titan with a fur collar and still reach level 34, you can, and I think that's great.

Looking cool doesn't mean anything when there's nothing to do. Vault of Glass weekly raiding is what kept people around and raiding and playing the game. Progression and carrot on a stick gameplay is the life and death of this style of MMO. The problem was that the raid was too short and the content dolled out via a really oppressive RNG system. If they're going to borrow so heavily from MMOs that work like this then they should get the parts that make that system work.

Every level progression system has that point where you hit end game and have done everything and just go "now what". The problem is that that loop is too damn tiny in Destiny and with House of Wolves it's not even there anymore.

I haven't paid too close attention but the upgrading gear system seems to be connected to doing Prison of Elders. It would be nice if the currency needed to upgrade was very rare.

Looking cool doesn't mean anything when there's nothing to do. Vault of Glass weekly raiding is what kept people around and raiding and playing the game. Progression and carrot on a stick gameplay is the life and death of this style of MMO. The problem was that the raid was too short and the content dolled out via a really oppressive RNG system. If they're going to borrow so heavily from MMOs that work like this then they should get the parts that make that system work.

Every level progression system has that point where you hit end game and have done everything and just go "now what". The problem is that that loop is too damn tiny in Destiny and with House of Wolves it's not even there anymore.

I haven't paid too close attention but the upgrading gear system seems to be connected to doing Prison of Elders. It would be nice if the currency needed to upgrade was very rare.

You'll still need to raid and do nightfalls/prison of elders to get your Etheric Light. I'm guessing it won't be as regular a drop as everyone expects it to be. Bungie needs this DLC to keep us going until at least september, they'll have a couple of carrots to dangle in front of us yet.

the first step to conquering challenging dailies is to equip a high impact shotgun. if you're at the same level, you should plow right through them.

if you're underleveled, you should probably just skip it. 29 can make it through 30 dailies with a bit more hiding and peek shooting. a 28 on the other hand is going to need some help, lest you find yourself reduced to tickling your opponents while bearing the full weight of their plasma scorching rounds on you. it's not even challenging at that point - you're just wasting your time.

Zocano

It's not.
It will also drop during NF and IB.

We don't know about its rarity yet, though.

Yah that's fine. If it's exclusive to IB and not general PvP that wouldn't be so bad but I think rarity will be how this stretch of time will live or die by.

You'll still need to raid and do nightfalls to get your Etheric Light. I'm guessing it won't be an as regular drop as everyone expects it to be. Bungie needs this DLC to keep us going until at least september, they'll have a couple of carrots to dangle in front of us yet.

I reeeaaaalllyyyyyy hope they have a bit more to dish out until whatever next Raid or whatever they have planned for us. I'll enjoy coming back and playing Trials of Osiris and Prison of Elders but hitting end game and feeling done with Crota's End was why I stopped playing 2 months ago.

I mean the structure of this game isn't exactly like an MMO and without the sort of paid subscription, I perfectly understand that they're not indebted to create content like MMOs that do have subscriptions. But it's still disappointing having this kind of MMO carrot-on-a-stick progression but it feeling too short in relation.

This is wonderful. A Titan sat down during an IB match and his opponents didn't kill him; so he killed all of them with Hulk Smash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AecyPSU8t9A

eoDXfWM.gif

I love how none of them had a clue it was coming.

I mean the structure of this game isn't exactly like an MMO and without the sort of paid subscription, I perfectly understand that they're not indebted to create content like MMOs that do have subscriptions. But it's still disappointing having this kind of MMO carrot-on-a-stick progression but it feeling too short in relation.

Has Bungie ever come out and admitted this game is an MMO, or do they still call it an ARPG FPS? I think that is one of their unspoken outs on lack of content imo.

Zocano

Has Bungie ever come out and admitted this game is an MMO, or do they still call it an ARPG FPS? I think that is one of their unspoken outs on lack of content imo.

Me, personally? I call it an MMO. So many of the mechanics and systems they employ mimic and follow standard WoW-style MMOs that it's impossible not to make those connections. You approach the content the game gives you in similar manners and all that. I get a lot of the details aren't exaclty in line but for me it's enough to just think it's an MMO.

the first step to conquering challenging dailies is to equip a high impact shotgun. if you're at the same level, you should plow right through them.

if you're underleveled, you should probably just skip it. 29 can make it through 30 dailies with a bit more hiding and peek shooting. a 28 on the other hand is going to need some help, lest you find yourself reduced to tickling your opponents while bearing the full weight of their plasma scorching rounds on you. it's not even challenging at that point - you're just wasting your time.

I like rolling through dailies with Universal Remote, Swordbreaker, and a Hunger of Crota. Shotguns + Dailies are made for each other.

Me, personally? I call it an MMO. So many of the mechanics and systems they employ mimic and follow standard WoW-style MMOs that it's impossible not to make those connections. You approach the content the game gives you in similar manners and all that. I get a lot of the details aren't exaclty in line but for me it's enough to just think it's an MMO.

Thats the issue I take with Bungies approach to content. How they're treating it, is how Blizzard treats WoW or Square treats Final Fantasy-Gating the content through weekly resets and what not. It's a failure because unlike WoW or FF, there is no subscription to keep with Destiny. It seems they're learning late that having a horde like mode or something repeatable engages interest into the game more than a raid with weekly lock outs. Again, take a look at Diablo 3 and the turn around that game had-Adventure Mode provides interest that doesn't turn stale. Bungie kinda has this with the Bounty system, but the load times really kill that possible aspect, and the 'grindy' aspects of it with no reward(other than the bounty itself) make doing bounties a tedious task. Again, increasing the drops on 'boss' characters(For Strikes and what not) as well as giving you actual rewards for finishing bounties would go a long way to gauge player interest.

And they need another tier of weaponry...Legendaries and Exotics are too sought after, and blues are useless at 20. Maybe increase the pool of Legendaries and increase the drops of those, or increase the different perks/stats between like guns again, would go a long way to longeviate playing the game, going for that perfect 'roll'. Unfortunately they're nixing this option with the gunsmit providing rerolls, but as far as gauging interest in playing the game more, having purple engrams drop more would again, increase the longevity of playing the game. The Gunsmith kinda kills that,a s you can sit there for 10 minutes and just roll away the time, which isn't as exciting as rolling a purple engram.

They already opened up all the paths with the new upgrade system.
You can get to the max level with *any* legendary gear now.

I still think it's idiotic that the only way to get radiant mats is CE. They fixed it for ass mats with the dailies, but even in HoW there doesn't seem to be a way to get radiants except through CE. The Speaker only seemed to exchange between ass mats and radiant mats separately, not between each other.

I have around 200 ass mats and no radiants, yet need 42 radiant shards to get my alt to 32. It would be great to have a way to exchange them or another way to earn radiants.

So are Iron Banner bounties glitched?

I had 6 incomplete bounties from yesterday. Just completed 3 of them and now I can't pick up today's? I've tried logging out and back in and it just shows the other 3 from yesterday that I hadn't completed greyed out. Lord Saladin doesn't have any of today's bounties at all. Lovely.

So are Iron Banner bounties glitched?

I had 6 incomplete bounties from yesterday. Just completed 3 of them and now I can't pick up today's? I've tried logging out and back in and it just shows the other 3 from yesterday that I hadn't completed greyed out. Lord Saladin doesn't have any of today's bounties at all. Lovely.

You can only complete a bounty once per day. If you had it from yesterday but completed it today, it counts as today's. Same if you complete one today and turn in tomorrow, gotta turn it in before reset or it counts to the following day.

noomi

morning DGaf.

Trying to catch up to all the info I missed from yesterday and so far I'm really liking what I'm reading here. Was never much into PvP, but ToO definitely has peaked my interests.

With all this new content coming our way and my time becoming way more limited; I'm going to have to solely focus on HoW content and stop running Crota/VoG all together once it is released.

Bungles way to counter people doubling up on bounties. You know the log in before reset trick and do bounties later again that day.

Actually, you *can* save bounties. Regular ones/Eris ones atleast. As long as the bounty isn't repeated the day after, you'll still be able to pick up new ones.

...granted that's probably not true for IB, or maybe IB repeats constantly.

Lima

Actually, you *can* save bounties. Regular ones/Eris ones atleast. As long as the bounty isn't repeated the day after, you'll still be able to pick up new ones.

...granted that's probably not true for IB, or maybe IB repeats constantly.

Yeah you can't do repeat bounties from the day before. That's exactly what I meant. You can't double up on them because they are always the same bounties every day.

Bradach

Playing CE (NM) the other night and a friend of mind gets his first gjallahorn at Deathsinger and his second gjallahorn 5 minutes later from Crota. He was giggling like a schoolgirl

Man, I decided to splurge on a few Vanguard bonds at the Speaker. Ulan-Tan's Burial Ring and White Polygon Construct. They're both pretty cool, but the burial ring clips through the shoulder pads from the raid gear and the Construct is just a bit too big for my tastes.

Oh well, good thing I didn't need any Exotic Engrams.

Playing CE (NM) the other night and a friend of mind gets his first gjallahorn at Deathsinger and his second gjallahorn 5 minutes later from Crota. He was giggling like a schoolgirl

That's how it works. After 500+ hours I got my first Gjallarhorn and then another one that same day, and another 2 days later.

That's how it works. After 500+ hours I got my first Gjallarhorn and then another one that same day, and another 2 days later.

Is it? I've gotten one a month ago, nothing since.

Not that I'm complaining, shit, I'm more than happy with just the one. I have three Hunger of Crota to complement it. :p

I remember when some of my friends told me "Ghorn isn't even that good, you're going to be disappointed when you get it"

ahahahahahahahaha

ocean

Banned
I remember when some of my friends told me "Ghorn isn't even that good, you're going to be disappointed when you get it"

ahahahahahahahaha
"Save your coins for a Primary, Exotic slot is wasted on a heavy weapon."

Or my own mistake on week 2:

"Armor is more important so I can level up quickly. I'll get Helm of Inmost Light!"

Took me 6 months to get a Horn after that fateful mistake. Should've listened to Hawkian...

my thoughts

"why do i need an exotic solar rocket launcher with lower blast radius when i just got a legendary void one that's tearing up praetorians?"

and then the first time you solo gatekeeper with the ghorn, you understand.

of course, now everyone just does it with shotguns.

my thoughts

"why do i need an exotic solar rocket launcher with lower blast radius when i just got a legendary void one that's tearing up praetorians?"

and then the first time you solo gatekeeper with the ghorn, you understand.

of course, now everyone just does it with shotguns.

I had the coins. I just HAD to have those Sunbreakers.

Maddocks

I think I did vog on hard maybe twice and got really nothing. Did it tonight on hard and got everything under the sun. Sadly I didn't get the two things I wanted though. Give me hawkmoon and ghorn game, please! I spent time and money on you baby, give me da goods!

I had the coins. I just HAD to have those Sunbreakers.

And then for the next 8 times Xur had those damn gloves every other week lol

but seriously he better sale the 4th horseman

I know he won't but I got to believe

edit-edit-Oh yeah todays the weekly update. Boy, I wonder what it's gonna have.

Daemul

"Save your coins for a Primary, Exotic slot is wasted on a heavy weapon."

Or my own mistake on week 2:

"Armor is more important so I can level up quickly. I'll get Helm of Inmost Light!"

Took me 6 months to get a Horn after that fateful mistake. Should've listened to Hawkian...

I made this exact same mistake, luckily for me a legendary engram decoded into a GH a couple of weeks later.

LTWood12

Things will be a little different this week. Instead of a newbie raid tomorrow I'll be running a newbie-friendly Iron Banner train from about 8:00PM EST onward for anyone who might want to check it out but is worried about k/d or anything like that.

Then on Sunday, there will be a full newbie raid of CE and then a little bit of sword practice at Crota for any 31s in attendance that are interested.

Any IB spots left?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom