• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT20| HoW Comes, No Raid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah. It's the ultimate weapon for lazy or impatient people. It makes bad players good. If you have one, people think you're cool. If you don't, people won't count on you to get it done. With a Ghorn, I know that I can single-handedly down Crota without having to count on anyone else doing their job aside from Swordbearer, so it's useful for carrying people. If 2 people have it, then Solar Burn strike bosses die in seconds. Also, the wolfpack rounds don't hit all at once, they sustain over time, which means you're putting in damage between shots, too, which is useful in all sorts of cases, especially when the enemy has a big ol shield.

You don't even need 2. My wife and I duo'd Archon Priest last week. I had a G'horn, she used a Black Hammer. The Priest never moved from his initial spawn point. He burned there.

mfn_pie

Done with work, got bounties to knock out. Need a bit of exp and 7 shards to get my Titan to 32 which is my end goal for today. Anyone down for CE in a while?

WH those are in-denial comments. Lol I say that because private Hudson used to say the same thing. Ask him what he thinks of it. ;)

And anyone else who uses it in raids, PvP, dailies, anything with a solar burn or in any other context whatsoever. ;)

Once you get one, you'll see.

The only weapon that I'd say is more useful in as wide a variety of circumstances as Gjallarhorn is Ice Breaker.

phen0m24

The only weapon that I'd say is more useful in as wide a variety of circumstances as Gjallarhorn is Ice Breaker.
:) ding. Ding. Ding.

Last night I realized that I am really looking forward to a 365 Praedyth's Revenge. Holy moly that gun is smooth but lacking DPS like IB or BH. that thing at 365 against Atheon? Yowza

I'm playing for the first time since December. I decide to try my luck at the crota checkpoint for my second time ever (It was so much easier than I remember it to be).

Black Hammer + A second Gjallorhorn to replace my trusty 300 one :))
I'm sorry, I know this must be painful to read for some.

I should try to get a Fatebringer tonight.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
If 2 people have it, then Solar Burn strike bosses die in seconds. Also, the wolfpack rounds don't hit all at once, they sustain over time, which means you're putting in damage between shots, too, which is useful in all sorts of cases, especially when the enemy has a big ol shield.
Those two points are really persuasive, actually.

Now Icebreaker is a totally different story. That gun sounds amazing. And of course I don't have one.

ethomaz

Banned
Not even close.

I use Ghorn even in small bugs with my Titan... I just run and shot Ghorn in everything I see in my front.

I can't never play like that with Ice Breaker.

Gjallarhorn is way more useful in any situation when any other gun in the game.

hydruxo

Ice Breaker was in my loadout for PVE at all times for like 6 months....until I finally got a Gjallarhorn. Haven't used Ice Breaker since lol.

Not even close.

I use Ghorn even in small bugs with my Titan... I just run and shot Ghorn in everything I see in my front.

Ice Breaker has infinite ammo and is a sniper. You can beat the entire game without even moving and staying miles away from any real danger. Can only do that with Ghorn if you have a ton of patience and time and Ammo Synths. And even then, you'll eventually run out and Ice Breaker will still have unlimited ammo for you.

Homeboyd

Not even close.

*When you have heavy ammo

I'm the opposite. I use IB for EVERYTHING in pve other than Crota HM (even still use IB with certain groups here too) and certain boss fights. It's useful in every situation vs GHorn needing ammo. And I run ruin wings too.

ethomaz

Banned
Ice Breaker has infinite ammo and is a sniper. You can beat the entire game without even moving and staying miles away from any real danger. Can only do that with Ghorn if you have a ton of patience and time and Ammo Synths. And even then, you'll eventually run out and Ice Breaker will still have unlimited ammo for you.
I don't even use Ice Breaker in my chars because it is so slow to recover ammo.

And I do that with Ghorn with my Titan... just shot everything on my front... kill everything fast and easy without use any Ammo Synths.

Titan + Ghorn = God Killer

WH those are in-denial comments. Lol I say that because private Hudson used to say the same thing. Ask him what he thinks of it. ;)

And anyone else who uses it in raids, PvP, dailies, anything with a solar burn or in any other context whatsoever. ;)

LOL it's that last part coming true that I'm worried about!!!

Last night I realized that I am really looking forward to a 365 Praedyth's Revenge. Holy moly that gun is smooth but lacking DPS like IB or BH. that thing at 365 against Atheon? Yowza

You're absolutely correct, in some recent vog rounds I've been dropped a couple extra praedyths and I will ascend them ALL. it's great for pve and pvp.

In all the IB matches I did today, I saw about 6 ships, 3 Jolder's Hammers, 3 Silimar's Wraths, a Gjallarhorn, a DBreath and a P&T dropping.

And almost everything went to Blazeuk :')

phen0m24

See I disagree with the Horn always being in my loadout.

It's a waste on Oracles. Scary on Templar unless you time it right. Tough in close quarters.

Ice Breaker is in my gear more often and then Against All Odds or One Way Ticket with tracking gets the heavy nod. :)

hydruxo

See I disagree with the Horn always being in my loadout.

It's a waste on Oracles. Scary on Templar unless you time it right. Tough in close quarters.

Ice Breaker is in my gear more often and then Against All Odds or One Way Ticket with tracking gets the heavy nod. :)

Ghorn isn't always in my loadout, but Ice Breaker was nearly always in it because its more useful in more situations than Ghorn is. Like for Atheon/Oracles, it makes more sense to use Ice Breaker / Corrective Measure. That being said, I use my LDR 5001 as my default sniper in alot of situations over Ice Breaker nowadays.

phen0m24

Ghorn isn't always in my loadout, but Ice Breaker was nearly always in it because its more useful in more situations than Ghorn is. Like for Atheon/Oracles, it makes more sense to use Ice Breaker / Corrective Measure. That being said, I use my LDR 5001 as my default sniper in alot of situations over Ice Breaker nowadays.
I believe we agree. I love LDR as well. Have one in each flavor. :)

Impala26

*When you have heavy ammo

I'm the opposite. I use IB for EVERYTHING in pve other than Crota HM (even still use IB with certain groups here too) and certain boss fights. It's useful in every situation vs GHorn needing ammo. And I run ruin wings too.

This guy gets it.

Obviously Praedyth's and LDR outclass it in Crucible, but with the recent revisions to Crucible making special ammo far more scarce, I've actually been finding Ice Breaker to be somewhat useful because you never have to worry about that. I'm actually getting the hang of swapping really fast to my primary if I miss the quick headshot. Plus double kills due to combustion is like one of the sweetest things in PvP.

Newboi

I had a funny experience last night with the weekly solar burn. My team managed to Gally Omni-gul to death when you first run into her. It was hilarious watching her die then miraculously respawn in the boss room later.

As often as you were dying last night you should feel bad. hahaha why I do Sunsinger in HM VoG lol

And you sharded your Foil!

You hurt my feelings :(

Oh, you still play? Haven't seen you post so I thought you had dropped it.

You should get on my fireteam next week. It's pretty close to a guarantee you'll get one.

Just ask... well... there are a lot of names...

Awesome, thanks for the offer! Looking forward to getting my guaranteed horn.

nowai

Wtf people hate on Ice Breaker?

I personally haven't taken my Ice Breaker out of the vault for anything other than the heavy ammo glitch since the last time Iron Banner sold Efrideet's Spear.

One of each element + field scount = never using Black Hammer or Ice Breaker.

I don't even use Ice Breaker in my chars because it is so slow to recover ammo.

And I do that with Ghorn with my Titan... just shot everything on my front... kill everything fast and easy without use any Ammo Synths.

Titan + Ghorn = God Killer

Another thing people forget about Ice Breaker is that it can be used to fill every other special weapon. It takes around a minute or so to fully charge an Ice Breaker to 6 shots. When that happens, you can switch to ANY other Special Weapon, and you have 50% full ammo with it. Only other weapon that can do that is Invective, and it takes waaaaay longer than with Ice Breaker.

My thoughts exactly. Upgrading that to 365 is my first order of business.

ethomaz

Banned
Another thing people forget about Ice Breaker is that it can be used to fill every other special weapon. It takes around a minute or so to fully charge an Ice Breaker to 6 shots. When that happens, you can switch to ANY other Special Weapon, and you have 50% full ammo with it. Only other weapon that can do that is Invective, and it takes waaaaay longer than with Ice Breaker.
Ammo drop was never a issue in Destiny.... you always have special ammo to use... even more than you need.

I take a lot of others snipers over Ice Breaker... it is too slow to be used (the ammo regen)... it just waste your time.

Why does everyone like Gjallarhorn so much? Does it do more damage to bosses than other rocket launchers, or...? I have one, but I also have several other exotics I'd rather use instead. Maybe I'm missing something here.

Embrace the Wolfpack rounds, kittens. If you don't, they'll embrace you.

As for Ice Breaker, now that I have Patience and Time I can see myself only switching to the former during raids and nightfalls.

Impala26

Ammo drop was never a issue in Destiny.... you always have special ammo to use... even more than you need.

I take a lot of others snipers over Ice Breaker... it is too slow to be used... it just waste your time.

Kids these days and their instant gratification...
lol

"In my day, you had to stay back and WAIT to take headshots..."

^^^^^ THIS...

Ophelion

I believe we agree. I love LDR as well. Have one in each flavor. :)

Ugh, LDR is a sexy as hell gun. I've got one in everything but Solar (though I do have Ice Breaker, sooooo....) and I love all my children the same.

That's not true. My arc LDR has firefly, so he's my secret favorite. Don't tell the other sniper rifles.

lt519

so I posted this in the HoW thread, but what does the community think about a Google Doc LFG for GAF. Totally optional and wouldn't replace in thread LFG posts but could be a place for those that are frustrated by both the speed of the thread and lack of responses to their requests. Pretty simple, post what you are looking to play and people can sign up. If you don't see something you want, create a new LFG or put your name in a queue so people can pick you up if they are looking for one more, etc. We'd have to curate it as a group, removing expired/full LFGs and requests, etc. Its worked well for other games here on GAF, it just needs buy in from the community.

Just a real simple example (I'd be willing to make something much more elaborate for HoW release):
GAF LFG

Edit: This is in response to splitting the threads by platform/LFG/general talk for HoW. I think that's a bad idea and this could work?

Karl2177

Prudence II is my newest go-to sniper. It's just a nice midpoint between Praedyth's and Ice Breaker. Plus it's only a Legendary, so I can save my exotic slot for heavy or primary.

Had a lot of fun running the IB train last night. I forgot how much I enjoy PVP in Destiny. It made me a lot more excited for Trials of Osiris.

Think I'm going to go for Rank 5. That handcannon looks pretty amazing.

WipedOut

Ugh, LDR is a sexy as hell gun. I've got one in everything but Solar (though I do have Ice Breaker, sooooo....) and I love all my children the same.

That's not true. My arc LDR has firefly, so he's my secret favorite. Don't tell the other sniper rifles.

I have a Solar LDR with Surplus, Field Scout and Clown Cartridge. Thing is a beast.

Shito

Depends on the modifier / your playstyle.
For someone who loves soloing shits, and who knows his safe spots, I can assure you Icebreaker is a god send.
That being said, yeah, the Horn is the real OP weapon of the game. You don't always need it, or sometimes it's better to use another heavy, but it's impossible to argue against the fact that it's currently head and shoulders above any other weapon for PVE content.

Iron banner rank 4 on hunter achieved after only two days play. Now to do the Titan. I only want the armour! First iron banner I've entered since pre TDB.

Taking a little break from IB but will be back in an hour or two. Hopefully I can find a team of GAFers then. Spent the morning rolling with randos but it actually didn't to badly. Probably won 70% of my games. Got the bounties done on my Warlock so I'll probably switch to Hunter for the afternoon session.

duck_sauce

I played Destiny at release after a break i just came back to check out Dark Below and the upcoming expension.
Is there a Gaf Raid, Nightfall, Weekly group that plays regular and i in need of a fellow level 29 titan?

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom