• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT20| HoW Comes, No Raid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ophelion

I have a Solar LDR with Surplus, Field Scout and Clown Cartridge. Thing is a beast.

That's a lot of bullets to put downfield. I approve.

It's probably better than my beloved arc LDR objectively, but I will contend there is little in my world more satisfying than cutting through a Fallen Captain's shield and exploding him and all his dreg underlings with a single well-placed shot.

God bless LDR. That thing got me through Omnighul back when I was a much weaker guardian. It's a true and constant companion from way back when I first started doing end-game content. I've probably spent more time with that gun than some friends.

lt519

Posting for new page:

Anyone interested in supporting a GAF LFG Google Doc. I'd play curator, but we need buy-in from the community. This would not replace in thread LFG posts but would just help with those intimidated or overlooked by the speed of the thread once HoW drops. This would also prevent splitting the threads just for LFG which I think is a bad idea. Just a rough example, would be expanded on:

DestinyGAF LFG

quoting for new page ;)
i can't get on right now, but is someone running NF? JimPanzer could use an FT....

I played Destiny at release after a break i just came back to check out Dark Below and the upcoming expension.
Is there a Gaf Raid, Nightfall, Weekly group that plays regular and i in need of a fellow level 29 titan?

:)
just need to be persistent. sometimes the thread will be rolling along and things get missed. post that you're LFG and almost every time, you should get a few who are down for that activity. welcome back!

It's amazing.

You play Destiny every day and don't feel like playing anything else.

You play another game for a few hours and don't feel like touching Destiny ever again.

Madness.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I've gone back and forth between a ton of sniper rifles, and so far Praedyth's Revenge > Supremacy > Patience & Time > LDR > Prudence II. That's pure gut feeling, no hard analysis. I love the stability of PR and Supremacy, plus the firefly perk. Patience & Time was honestly a big let down to me, but it's still solid. I just imagined the camo kicking in faster, lol.

Now I just need to get an Ice Breaker. :(

*When you have heavy ammo

I'm the opposite. I use IB for EVERYTHING in pve other than Crota HM (even still use IB with certain groups here too) and certain boss fights. It's useful in every situation vs GHorn needing ammo. And I run ruin wings too.
Yup, that's my logic, too. I use ruin wings on my Titan but I'm still without heavy ammo more often than not, and that's even more true when I use a rocket launcher.

Plus double kills due to combustion is like one of the sweetest things in PvP.
Yesssssss.

Posting for new page:

Anyone interested in supporting a GAF LFG Google Doc. I'd play curator, but we need buy-in from the community. This would not replace in thread LFG posts but would just help with those intimidated or overlooked by the speed of the thread once HoW drops. This would also prevent splitting the threads just for LFG which I think is a bad idea. Just a rough example, would be expanded on:

DestinyGAF LFG

May I make a suggestion...

Have either a column with names of those willing to always help, and or a 2nd document in which we can put ourselves on there for people to ask us for help at any time.

I have no problem helping people. I have a pay it forward mentality since DGAF has been so good to me.

Anyone interested in getting the CE hallway chest after the bridge and helping my alt get it?
Edit: crap, my fireteam jumped down so I have the deathsinger CP now.

ethomaz

Banned
Depends on the modifier / your playstyle.
For someone who loves soloing shits, and who knows his safe spots, I can assure you Icebreaker is a god send.
That being said, yeah, the Horn is the real OP weapon of the game. You don't always need it, or sometimes it's better to use another heavy, but it's impossible to argue against the fact that it's currently head and shoulders above any other weapon for PVE content.
I soled the NF this week without IB... it is not that hard... to be fair IB makes you waste time to solo it.

Maybe different play styles.

Ophelion

It's amazing.

You play another game for a few hours and don't feel like touching Destiny ever again.

Madness.

Destiny has actually be (popular to contrary belief) really good for my wallet. Because there have been several times where I see a new shiny game and I talk myself back from that economic ledge because I know in my heart I'll just end up playing Destiny the whole time anyway.

I loaned my last two purchases out to my brothers because they were just sitting there and someone should be playing them!

Totally. Appreciate you guys carrying a newb through my first IB. You have no idea how cool I feel when I get that *rare* 5-kill streak.

It was fun playing with ya, you did great! Probably going to be playing a lot more over the next couple days since I think I'm going to try for rank 5, so there will likely be more IB trains coming.

lt519

Have either a column with names of those willing to always help, and or a 2nd document in which we can put ourselves on there for people to ask us for help at any time.

I have no problem helping people. I have a pay it forward mentality since DGAF has been so good to me.

I think XBL already has a document for that and I think it'd be a separate document. Putting basically your user name and a personal ad (enjoys long walks through VoG, etc. This doc's other column would be more of a list of people saying, hey I'm ready right now until I'm headed to bed at 11pm, ping me if you need another otherwise I'm just running bounties or playing witcher.

rNilla

Posting for new page:

DestinyGAF LFG

I think this is a great idea but realistically I don't know that it will have enough active eyes to make it useful. The reason so many LFG posts happen here is because it's usually the easiest way to find a group. Period.

Maybe this could serve as a go-between where people reference their group name here and interested parties can sign up on the doc instead of having 20+ posts in the OT for a single group formation? Even that may be too complicated for most people.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I think this is a great idea but realistically I don't know that it will have enough active eyes to make it useful. The reason so many LFG posts happen here is because it's usually the easiest way to find a group. Period.
Yup, it's unfortunate, but I think that's the reality. A separate document / group is never gonna get used as much as this thread.

lt519

Maybe this could serve as a go-between where people reference their group name here and interested parties can sign up on the doc instead of having 20+ posts in the OT for a single group formation? Even that may be too complicated for most people.

Yeah hence the needing the community buy in. We'd have to have a "launching" of it and put it in the OT. I just got the idea from seeing a lot of people in the general forum claiming it's hard to even get a game in the OT thread due to getting overlooked or because it moves to fast. At a minimum I think we should have a doc that had user names, typical play times, interests like the XBL group.

Oh don't get me wrong, this would not replace in thread, not by a long shot. But as a back up, long term planning, type of LFG. There's a lot of times I want to do a Crota raid but I'm gonna watch a movie or play another game until a group forms and I don't want to have to keep checking the thread.

RetroMG

Or maybe it could be a standby list? Sometimes I need 1 or 2 people for a group but nobody is responding on GAF. In those times I don't necessarily feel right asking random gaffers on my friends list to join, even though I don't mind when people do it with me.

Maybe it could be a list where people say, "I may not respond in the gaf thread, but if you message me on PSN/XBL, I will probably be willing to come help."

Yeah wait on upgrading weapons.
Why have you stolen urk's avatar?

Yup. It's a crutch and I rarely use it.
Not a crutch, more like a bad ass wheelchair.

wheel6b6ur7.jpg

Ophelion

That seems like a good idea.

I'm looking at it from the other end of the spectrum, though.

I'm doing ok on gear and weapons I want, but that's mostly because of lucky drops if I'm going to be totally honest. I still haven't gotten to do the raids, for example. I really want to, but its just been me and my two brothers for the most part. Sometimes my brother's friend (who is kind of not great, tbh.) Even with so few, I almost brought our ragged little group to victory against the first boss of VoG, but even with me and my bros being over-leveled for it, being two short is a tall order.

I know people have said GAF would be more than willing to give me a hand, but I tend to be one of those idiots who is deeply embarrassed to ask for help. This is stupid. I know it is stupid, but I am pathologically stunted in this area for some reason.

Once I eventually get up to speed, I'd be down for paying it forward too. I'm the oldest in my family. I'm always looking out for the tribe be that family, friends or GAF.

lt519

Or maybe it could be a standby list? Sometimes I need 1 or 2 people for a group but nobody is responding on GAF. In those times I don't necessarily feel right asking random gaffers on my friends list to join, even though I don't mind when people do it with me.

Maybe it could be a list where people say, "I may not respond in the gaf thread, but if you message me on PSN/XBL, I will probably be willing to come help."

That's exactly what the Player queue column would be for. There's many times i'd throw my name up there and go watch some Archer but would be willing to hop on if anyone needs help.

RetroMG

I know people have said GAF would be more than willing to give me a hand, but I tend to be one of those idiots who is deeply embarrassed to ask for help. This is stupid. I know it is stupid, but I am pathologically stunted in this area for some reason.

I don't know if this helps, but this has been my experience:

Destiny is one of the first games that I've played so much with people outside of my own personal circle of friends. The first time I joined a GAF Crota raid, I was terrified that I was going to make a fool of myself. Then the first time that I posted a list to start a raid team, I deleted the post three times before I had the courage to hit submit.

And I have made a fool of myself sometimes. I jumped in front of a rocket on my first HM raid and caused a wipe. I dropped to orbit at the end of a Nightfall because I died in a bad spot - only to realize I was the party leader and took everyone with me. But it was okay. I'm still here, and I laugh about it now.

I don't know what to say that will help, but this is one of the best and most patient gaming communities I've ever been a part of. We won't push you to join in, but you are always most welcome. And my PSN is RetroMG. If you ever need an extra gun and I'm online, send me a message.

rNilla

Yeah hence the needing the community buy in. We'd have to have a "launching" of it and put it in the OT. I just got the idea from seeing a lot of people in the general forum claiming it's hard to even get a game in the OT thread due to getting overlooked or because it moves to fast. At a minimum I think we should have a doc that had user names, typical play times, interests like the XBL group.

Oh don't get me wrong, this would not replace in thread, not by a long shot. But as a back up, long term planning, type of LFG. There's a lot of times I want to do a Crota raid but I'm gonna watch a movie or play another game until a group forms and I don't want to have to keep checking the thread.

I'm all for this so I guess what I'm really trying to say is that to be useful it needs to be easy to use and somehow pervasive. I'm all for cutting down on LFG posts in this thread as well as offering alternatives to make it easier for people to group up however they prefer. For that to work it needs to not be lost or forgotten after a week or two. This is not the first Destiny spreadsheet and probably won't be the last.

RetroMG

It's amazing.

Madness.

I haven't been on since Tuesday morning. Part of me is tempted to see how long I can go without playing, but I'm also kind of itching to go run Crota.

That's exactly what the Player queue column would be for. There's many times i'd throw my name up there and go watch some Archer but would be willing to hop on if anyone needs help.

Ah, I understand now.

LTWood12

So what's everyone's Sniper Scope of choice? Honestly I can't say that I ever paid all that much attention to it until about a week ago. Noticed I'd been using Tacsys a lot of the time. Switched over to Ambush and I think I like it better.

Still up for IB? Robinson and me are looking right now.

I'll be jumping back on if you guys have space after the wife's lunch break is over. Should be within the next 20-30mins.

So what's everyone's Sniper Scope of choice? Honestly I can't say that I ever paid all that much attention to it until about a week ago. Noticed I'd been using Tacsys a lot of the time. Switched over to Ambush and I think I like it better.

I like Ambush or Shortgaze.

Ophelion

I don't know what to say that will help, but this is one of the best and most patient gaming communities I've ever been a part of. We won't push you to join in, but you are always most welcome.

Thanks, I appreciate that. I know what you mean about the nervousness. I think I posted my PSN name on here one time and that caused me serious anxiety to do. It's really dumb, especially since it's not like I'm terminally shy or something. I'm just in this weird place where when I think about raising my hand and going, "Yes, I could use a little help" my brain just goes into full-on shutdown mode. Rationally, I don't have any idea what the big deal is.

Maybe I'll see if anyone is up for whatever when I get off work today, try to push through my block if nothing else.

Destiny is kind of weird where extreme range is almost never something that's advantageous to the player (the only place I can think of off the top of my head is fighting the tank on that Cabal strike.) Oftentimes, the safest place to be shooting from is a "medium-long" range place in PvE. This gives you time to avoid incoming shots but still maintain accuracy. As a result, I favor short range scopes on sniper rifles and long range scopes on primary rifles. That allows me to easily hit targets in that sweet spot range with all my guns. Long range and super long range scopes are just disorienting and make it too easy for my target to step out of frame, forcing me to require the target and try again.

...I may think about this kind of thing too much.

hydruxo

Ambush 4 lyfe

shortgaze for handling, but i prefer the aesthetic of the eagle eye, or the default scope on the hieracon lr2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom