• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT20| HoW Comes, No Raid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there is never going to be any confirmation on why that is the case but I imagine that it is that way because both Sony and MS have absolutely no interest in allowing cross console family character sharing.

I would guess that Bungie and Activison could care less about it and instead would be happy to have cross console family sharing because it might motivate more people to double buy Destiny to play with friends on both PS4 and X1.

Sony and MS on the other hand want to lock you into their ecosystem.

i'd have double dipped ages ago if i wouldn't have had to create separate accounts and characters.

I think there is never going to be any confirmation on why that is the case but I imagine that it is that way because both Sony and MS have absolutely no interest in allowing cross console family character sharing.

I would guess that Bungie and Activison could care less about it and instead would be happy to have cross console family sharing because it might motivate more people to double buy Destiny to play with friends on both PS4 and X1.

How would it work if I were on PS4 and had Hawkmoon equipped and then logged into Xbox One? The horror. I blame Sony/Microsoft 100%

Sony really doesn't care. They allow cross platform play with Final Fantasy. Microsoft on the other hand, We have clear information on them and Square said straight up. Microsoft will not allow it.

Sony really doesn't care. They allow cross platform play with Final Fantasy. Microsoft on the other hand, We have clear information on them and Square said straight up. Microsoft will not allow it.

Exactly. I remember this was a big deal when Portal 2 came out. IIRC you could play Portal 2 on PS3 co-op with someone on the PC, but Microsoft wouldn't let Xbox players play with anyone other than other Xbox players.

The technology seems to exist, and probably isn't even that hard. It's more about certain higher ups changing their policies.

That said, Sony did every thing they could to act and treat Destiny as if it were a 1st party game, and will continue to do so for some time, I believe.

To do that they'd have to have the same content on both platforms. Being able to hop back and forth between old-gen and current-gen is great, not that I really do it as much any more. But if I could hop over and continue my 3x32 characters on PS4 from my Xbox One, then I'd be more inclined to pick one up down the line. No way I'm starting over, not a chance. I wish we could just play with PS4 people though, it's the same game and backend systems I bet, so I don't get the issue (Microsoft and Sony hate each other and would go bankrupt before letting gamers play together cross platform, sadly). I bet it would be relatively easy for Bungie to enable, too...
They already have systems in place to lock content. For instance, let's say you have a Frontier Shell for your Ghost on PS4. You won't be able to use it on PS3 unless you also explicitly have it unlocked on PS3.

Atone13

Thanks, guys!

I'm already rank 2.5, so I have no doubt I can make it to 4 over the next few days.

Okay, so this might be silly and something you already know, because apparently it is known to most, but I didn't find out until late last night when I was clued in by members of my gaf IB train, buying and equipping the IB shader and emblem increase rep gains. Just tossing it out there for any others who like me are terrible with keeping up with these kinds of things.

They already have systems in place to lock content. For instance, let's say you have a Frontier Shell for your Ghost on PS4. You won't be able to use it on PS3 unless you also explicitly have it unlocked on PS3.

Ok, well what about the experience or drops I could earn doing Undying Mind strike? Not fair/balanced to those who only have Xbox to be able to level gear with content that doesn't exist on Xbox when swapping over from PS.

I wish it were possible, though :(

Ophelion

Okay, so this might be silly and something you already know, because apparently it is known to most, but I didn't find out until late last night when I was clued in by members of my gaf IB train, buying and equipping the IB shader and emblem increase rep gains. Just tossing it out there for any others who like me are terrible with keeping up with these kinds of things.

Goddamnit.

WHELP! Guess I'm gunna be buying those when I get home, then!

Shader, Emblem and Class Item all give a 10% buff. Also, the Tempered buff you buy from Saladin gives a higher bonus as each day goes on; basically a catch up mechanic if you can't play until the weekend.

Ok, well what about the experience or drops I could earn doing Undying Mind strike? Not fair/balanced to those who only have Xbox to be able to level gear with content that doesn't exist on Xbox when swapping over from PS.

Not much of an argument there since there are no dedicated drops that come from any PS specific content.

Goddamnit.

Specifically.

Iron Banner Shader = Rep + 10%
Iron Banner Emblem = Rep + 10%
Iron Banner Class Item = Rep + 10%

So if a win would net you 25 rep that is 25 x 1.1 x 1.1 x 1.1 = 33.275

Plus whatever rep bonus you gain from the Buff.

Edit:

Buff goes from
  • Tues - 10%
  • Wed - 13%
  • Thur - 25%
  • Fri - 40%
  • Sat - 60%
  • Sun - 100%
  • Mon - 150%

Atone13

Goddamnit.

I can't remember for sure, but I think that may have been my exact response when I was told last night. 3 days of nothing but IB to find out I've been doing it wrong the whole time.

Shader, Emblem and Class Item all give a 10% buff. Also, the Tempered buff you buy from Saladin gives a higher bonus as each day goes on; basically a catch up mechanic if you can't play until the weekend.

Yeah I forgot about the class item, I think that's because I couldn't buy it at the time. I think it takes rank 3... maybe? I don't know offhand. Maybe I just didn't have enough glimmer, I can't remember.

Ophelion

I can't remember for sure, but I think that may have been my exact response when I was told last night. 3 days of nothing but IB to find out I've been doing it wrong the whole time.

Yeah I forgot about the class item, I think that's because I couldn't buy it at the time. I think it takes rank 3... maybe? I don't know offhand. Maybe I just didn't have enough glimmer, I can't remember.

Oh, no. Class item is way up there. I remember because I was ogling it last night.

Anything else I should know? If I pray to the Iron Banner into the mic before the match do I get another 10%?

LTWood12

Specifically.

Iron Banner Shader = Rep + 10%
Iron Banner Emblem = Rep + 10%
Iron Banner Class Item = Rep + 10%

So if a win would net you 25 rep that is 25 x 1.1 x 1.1 x 1.1 = 33.275

Plus whatever rep bonus you gain from the Buff.

Edit:

Buff goes from
  • Tues - 10%
  • Wed - 13%
  • Thur - 25%
  • Fri - 40%
  • Sat - 60%
  • Sun - 100%
  • Mon - 150%

Pay special attention to this post IB newbies. Putting a lot of time in on Sunday & Monday really makes the difference. Last IB I didn't start until Sunday night. Got to rank 4 in about 5 hours.

Also, I have always been under the impression that the higher level Shader and Emblem gave you more rep. Found out last night: Nope. Million Million is the same as Goldspiral.

Atone13

Also, I have always been under the impression that the higher level Shader and Emblem gave you more rep. Found out last night: Nope. Million Million is the same as Goldspiral.

Okay, see this is good to know! I was wondering about that myself yesterday as I was buying what I needed. Now I'll only worry about picking it up if I have the extra glimmer after I get my helm

Pay special attention to this post IB newbies. Putting a lot of time in on Sunday & Monday really makes the difference. Last IB I didn't start until Sunday night. Got to rank 4 in about 5 hours.

Exactly.

A difference of a Tuesday win with items and buff = 73 rep
A Monday win with items and buff = 166 rep

You guys think it'd be possible to grind on Sunday/Monday and get to Rank 5 before reset?

I've done it. I don't recommend it. You'll burn out.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Does Scar of Radegast give you more rep boost?

....Maybe you're right, just thinking about doing PvP is burning me out right now.

It makes every loss sting that much more, because you aren't just missing out on 10 rep anymore, now you're missing out on 45 or something.

Then you start counting exactly how many games you need and you add this extra stress into your playing because you know you need exactly X wins and it just becomes a nightmare.

I just don't think that's the limitation. I think we would have the same character pool on all platforms if not for some objection from Microsoft, Sony, and/or Activision.

I would hop over to Xbox 360 and Xbox One to play Destiny more often if I could access my PSN player pool.

It makes every loss sting that much more, because you aren't just missing out on 10 rep anymore, now you're missing out on 45 or something.

Then you start counting exactly how many games you need and you add this extra stress into your playing because you know you need exactly X wins and it just becomes a nightmare.

Well, the medallions make losses less worse IMO and for the better. I still have a left over medallion fromt eh last IB.

Anastasis

I miss the days of people looking to do weekly strikes. Are people just going with matchmaking or already have groups knocking them out?

RetroMG

....Maybe you're right, just thinking about doing PvP is burning me out right now.

That's exactly why I haven't been doing IB this time. I'm tempted, with the helmet and the cool sniper rifle and all, but after last IB I couldn't even look at Destiny for a couple of days.

I miss the days of people looking to do weekly strikes. Are people just going with matchmaking or already have groups knocking them out?

Yes. Personally, I have a standing group for Tuesday nights for 3x Nightfalls and 3x Weekly Heroics. When I can't make that, (which has happened a lot lately,) I grab randoms and just get them done.

Ophelion

I really wish I could change my PSN name. It's not even mine, it's just that my brother set up my PS3 back in the day while I was still at work and I didn't notice he'd put one of his screen names in there until I already had a ton of stuff associated with the account and it didn't make sense to abandon it for a new one.

Too many times last night Hawkian goes, "Look out vande...whatever, oh you're dead."

If I'd set it up, would've just been Pax. I was Pax all the way back to Halo 2 multiplayer. Short, easy to say and something I actually answer to.

smh.

LTWood12

I really wish I could change my PSN name. It's not even mine, it's just that my brother set up my PS3 back in the day while I was still at work and I didn't notice he'd put one of his screen names in there until I already had a ton of stuff associated with the account and it didn't make sense to abandon it for a new one.

Too many times last night Hawkian goes, "Look out vande...whatever, oh you're dead."

If I'd set it up, would've just been Pax. I was Pax all the way back to Halo 2 multiplayer. Short, easy to say and something I actually answer to.

smh.

Sorry man. That sucks. Enjoyed playing with you though!

That's exactly why I haven't been doing IB this time. I'm tempted, with the helmet and the cool sniper rifle and all, but after last IB I couldn't even look at Destiny for a couple of days.

Which is why I'm pretty hype about the Crucible updates that double everything. Doubling reputation and marks for crucible? Increasing the drops for it? Like holy shit Bungie, you fired on all my weak spots. It rewards people for doing the Crucible every day, and those that mainly do PvP are rewarded further because of reputation gains and increased drops.

I love it. I want it.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Any word on exotic class items from the HoW info dump?

Ophelion

Sorry man. That sucks. Enjoyed playing with you though!

Same to you! We'll have to do it again soon.

What's really funny is that it totally messes my brother up when he plays with me. He's never sure which of us is being discussed. He brought it upon his own dumb self though, so I have no sympathy.

Deku Tree

Yeah I just do the weeklies with randoms now.
It takes about the same time as with a GAF group.
And it's hard to get a GAF group together quickly for the weeklies now.

I used to have a regular weekly group but the guys stopped playing Destiny.
One of them is coming back but I am having a very busy life now without a set schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom