• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT20| HoW Comes, No Raid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryck

Hey Destiny GAF

with the sale currently on PSN I feel like the value proposition is just about right for me to potentially buy this. I was reading a bit about House of Wolves and it seems like fans are excited about the potential of a new Firefight mode coming in, which interests me as someone who has played a lot of Halo.

My other question is is the PvP multiplayer a good experience over the medium term (as a game I'd like to jump back to from time to time after exhausting the PvP content)? Everything I've heard suggests PvE in this game is very much a grind.

Thanks.
What sale are you talking about?

GhaleonEB

Y
HoC is Solar which is another strike against it because of GH overlap. Not sure what the Hive Disruptor adds but I'd recommend people save videos and add up hit markers to compare. Cluster bombs just don't work well, they flop to the ground directly below the detonation spot which adds little to no extra damage if the target moves.

I mean HoC is fine for people who don't have GH or just want to use something else. But there's nothing else in Destiny that comes close to what Wolfpack Rounds do. It's just a numerical fact, not based on opinion. BHam is the only thing that can come close or even beat its DPS ceiling under the huge caveat of bosses with highly repeatable crit spots. Of course lots of people play for fun and don't care about this silly min/max stuff, and that's a great way to play.

I believe you can at least send PSN gift cards for credit in the store? Not sure if you can directly send/buy a specific item or not.
I don't have the 'Horn, so that is part of it. But it's also partly that it's a legendary and not an exotic. I ran the NF and weekly with HoC and the Vex, and that combo was absurd for the damage it wreaked on the packs of enemies that strike throws down. I do agree that cluster bombs generally are not much of a help, but with the burn on, they basically expand the blast radius of the rocket to the field of the bombs. It literally clears rooms.

I'd like a rocket launcher that fuses the ideas of the 'Horn and cluster bombs: a central rocket that tracks to one target, and then explodes to fire mini-missiles that lock onto any nearby target they can find. Wouldn't be as useful for bosses but it would be neat when the enemy count is really dense.
What sale are you talking about?

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2015...unts-go-live-destiny-resident-evil-star-wars/

Yeah Pokemon purposes are always good. Tracking is nice too especially for PvE but sometimes grenades and horseshoes is preferable for PvP since tracking can pull your rocket into a wall on all the small, tightly bunched maps.

I like HoC for running sword on HM CE so I can keep Red Death as an extra health source but even then I have to switch to GHorn for any teams that have DPS problems bringing down the Sword Bear or Ogres. The damage per rocket difference is huge.

HoC is Solar which is another strike against it because of GH overlap. Not sure what the Hive Disruptor adds but I'd recommend people save videos and add up hit markers to compare. Cluster bombs just don't work well, they flop to the ground directly below the detonation spot which adds little to no extra damage if the target moves.

I mean HoC is fine for people who don't have GH or just want to use something else. But there's nothing else in Destiny that comes close to what Wolfpack Rounds do. It's just a numerical fact, not based on opinion. BHam is the only thing that can come close or even beat its DPS ceiling under the huge caveat of bosses with highly repeatable crit spots. Of course lots of people play for fun and don't care about this silly min/max stuff, and that's a great way to play.

I believe you can at least send PSN gift cards for credit in the store? Not sure if you can directly send/buy a specific item or not.

Hezens Vengeance is bad, they said. It doesn't have tracking, they said. WELL HEZENS VENGEANCE LAUNCHES SHELLS AROUND IT AND NOT JUST BELOW IT.

Hezens Vengeance-1
Gjallarhorn-0

Atone13

Hey Destiny GAF

with the sale currently on PSN I feel like the value proposition is just about right for me to potentially buy this. I was reading a bit about House of Wolves and it seems like fans are excited about the potential of a new Firefight mode coming in, which interests me as someone who has played a lot of Halo.

My other question is is the PvP multiplayer a good experience over the medium term (as a game I'd like to jump back to from time to time after exhausting the PvP content)? Everything I've heard suggests PvE in this game is very much a grind.

Thanks.

Giving you some insight just from my perspective, I just recently got into playing this game a lot and am having a blast. Starting after this latest expansion has saved me from a lot of the grind that veteran players experienced, though there still was a bit a slog getting my light level up, but that's kind of by design I suppose.

Having even more recently started getting into the pvp side of the game, literally just days ago when the Iron Banner event started, I'm probably not well versed enough to give you information on that aspect of the game. All I can really say is that I am having a blast playing the pvp games, and it's all I wanna do when I get in game now.

One last thing I would like to really speak up about is the community here on GAF has just been awesome. I've found no shortage of players willing to offer advice and help out with just about anything. Being relatively new to the raids, I've never been turned away because of lack of experience, and when wipes do happen it's always been laughed off and everyone just moves on.

I'd like a rocket launcher that fuses the ideas of the 'Horn and cluster bombs: a central rocket that tracks to one target, and then explodes to fire mini-missiles that lock onto any nearby target they can find. Wouldn't be as useful for bosses but it would be neat when the enemy count is really dense.

Yeah completely agree with your theoretical rocket idea, that would be super sweet. I also don't want things to sound like an elitist "Horn or get out" LFG kinda post. Literally the only thing I can think of that requires the Horn would be solo'ing HM Crota and even that is probably not an absolute. "Use what's fun" is the best advice for everything except the most high end content.

Hezens Vengeance is bad, they said. It doesn't have tracking, they said. WELL HEZENS VENGEANCE LAUNCHES SHELLS AROUND IT AND NOT JUST BELOW IT.

Hezens Vengeance-1
Gjallarhorn-0

Lol wut o_O. Wolfpack rounds track onto enemies in the detonation area, nothing to do with "just below it."

I've officially been having the Horn vs. Hezen debate for ~15 OTs...

Lol wut o_O. Wolfpack rounds track onto enemies in the detonation area, nothing to do with "just below it."

I've officially been having the Horn vs. Hezen debate for ~15 OTs...

(i was talking about HoC being inferior to Hezen. But I don't have a Gjallarhorn nor a Hezens Vengeance, so automatically my favorite is Hezens Vengeance.)

I'm telling you, the second I get a Gjallahorn I'm going to dismantle it. And post a video. Maybe make a sick montage where I"m killing things with Hezens Vengeance(When I get that too) and have sappy boring music play whilst firing Gjallahorn, and ending with Gjallahorn being dismantled. It'll be glorious.

FyreWulff

So, last night a friend told me transmogrification would be added with HoW.
Is that true? Can't find anything. :/

nope.

You can sorta kinda do it a bit since any Legendary armor can now be ascended to max light level.

But you can't ascend Commons, Uncommons, or Rares to max light level. If you could, it would be de-facto transmog.

We should be seeing a notable increase in visual variety of high level players at any rate.

Hey Destiny GAF

Thanks.

To add to what others already said, HoW is making a lot of efforts to alleviate the grind since the game deservedly got a bad wrap for this. Hitting the new level cap should be an absolute breeze compared to the vanilla game's requirements. Lots of smart designs are being made to turn the game towards a more user friendly experience.

As for PvP, it's got extreme highs and lows like the rest of Destiny. Their strange hybrid "mesh" of sever based and peer-to-peer networking can produce some lag insanity but the strength of the basic gunplay and movement still shines through. The gameplay modes are pretty poorly designed for the most part but hopefully the new Elimination mode in HoW is an improvement there as well. Like all Destiny, the fun factor increases greatly when playing with friends.

All in all now is a great time to hop in and see if the game clicks with you. It also features the best gaming community around here with DGAF :)

Why oh why when facing a team of 4 titans and two warlocks just spamming bubble shield in the same flag spot does my entire team keep rushing them only to keep dying:/

I swear its like nobody thinks hey let them come to us for a change after the 20th failed invasion.

Well that hard crota kill only took two hours.

New record for team epic sax? :p

At least there were 4 exotic drops.

I couldn't stand another Scrota shit show like that at this point. I would throw my PS4 out the window.

I doubt Sax's 11-12 hour original record will ever be topped.

Sounds fun.... tonight i finally got my Fatebringer! Sadly the lfg team i was with didnt let me have five freaking seconds to be happy before they all started with the salty "100 runs nothing" comments and "its just a game man" crap.Wasnt till i got off that i actually checked it out and smiled at the fact that out of 10 other people tonight i was the only lucky one to get it.I like to congratulate people when they get something theyve been wanting it actually killed my vibe cause instead of enjoying the moment i was made to feel guilty.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
if you value fair and balanced gameplay, the PvP probably isn't for you. there are plenty of OHK abilities and death comes fast. there isn't much variety in the game modes, and searching solo will often pair you with teammates who don't seem to know what they're doing. it's also my opinion that the majority of the maps aren't very good.

on the other hand, if you like the gun game in destiny and the ability to kill many opponents in a flash while still being able to hold your own and play methodically, then the PvP will feel right at home. you can play however you want in the crucible. the balance of power shifts every month from one OP ability to the next and it lags like a mofo, so it's going to be frustrating. but those moments of bliss where you perform a cool maneuver or go on an intense streak to single handedly win the match for your team make it worthwhile, especially with a group of friends.

pro tip: don't play control

someone should've told me this months ago

control reinforces so many bad habits on team level that its just absurd. it also takes really good maps and makes them terrible

i'm almost at the point where i will back out of asylum immediately if it comes up

GutZ31

someone should've told me this months ago

control reinforces so many bad habits on team level that its just absurd. it also takes really good maps and makes them terrible

i'm almost at the point where i will back out of asylum immediately if it comes up

The problem is that new players SHOULD play control, if only to memorize the flag locations for call outs.

Just found a legendary engram waiting for me at the postmaster.
Turned into this baby, even though I have all the exotic armor/weapons, it's still nice to get a free shard.

38Ma7KLl.jpg

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
The problem is that new players SHOULD play control, if only to memorize the flag locations for call outs.

true i guess

its just a shame though. the choke points and moneyspots revealed to you in clash and rumble are just so important to know and recognize. the only maps imo that really shine in control are firebase delphi, shores of time, anomaly, and sometimes twilight gap (even though twilight gap has the weirdest obstructions for wtf reasons).

anomaly and delphi feel made for control (even though delphi has a good bit of generally neglected space on the outer areas).

the rest.... ugh, like - if the unused space had a purpose, made life/travel easier, etc then sure.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Fuck IB. Bunch of scrubs crouching around corners with Thorns, Hawkmoons, Shotguns, and whatever else retarded weapon Bungie can't be arsed to fix for PvP, which makes up a huge portion of their fanbase. If it wasn't for the loot that I need, I wouldn't be playing this shitty mode.

Fuck IB. Bunch of scrubs crouching around corners with Thorns, Hawkmoons, Shotguns, and whatever else retarded weapon Bungie can't be arsed to fix for PvP, which makes up a huge portion of their fanbase. If it wasn't for the loot that I need, I wouldn't be playing this shitty mode.

MACgOvZ.gif

Sounds fun.... tonight i finally got my Fatebringer! Sadly the lfg team i was with didnt let me have five freaking seconds to be happy before they all started with the salty "100 runs nothing" comments and "its just a game man" crap.Wasnt till i got off that i actually checked it out and smiled at the fact that out of 10 other people tonight i was the only lucky one to get it.I like to congratulate people when they get something theyve been wanting it actually killed my vibe cause instead of enjoying the moment i was made to feel guilty.

Congrats! I love Fatebringer, it's my second favourite Hand Cannon next to Thorn. It'll be one of the first things I upgrade come HoW, too. Can't wait.

What lfg site do you use? I used to use www.destinylfg.net all the time (xbox one), and ever since Dark Below came around with all the Crota raid cheesing I've found most of them to connect me with impatient and generally unfriendly people who act like the above 90% of the time. They usually aren't bad players if you want to get it done, but I'm rarely going to be tossing out friend requests if you know what I mean, so I don't really use it much any more, sadly.

Now when I can't find people to play with on GAF (again, xbox one :/ ) I just make a post on www.reddit.com/r/fireteams and the people there are much friendlier and knowledgeable overall.

I couldn't imagine not being at least a little bit vicariously excited with someone getting their first Fatebringer or anything like an Exotic. Hahaha, "I remember my first time".

IB lag is normal, happens every time it's on and it has been going on since the beta days.

Worse part is I think the IB lag affects PVE as well, so crota kills during IB week are a pain in the ass.

raindoc

AFAIK it is not true.

nope.

You can sorta kinda do it a bit since any Legendary armor can now be ascended to max light level.

But you can't ascend Commons, Uncommons, or Rares to max light level. If you could, it would be de-facto transmog.

We should be seeing a notable increase in visual variety of high level players at any rate.
Thought so.
What the other guy was describing was more of a "mixing" system. taking the stats from one exotic and combining them with the skin of another. probably misunderstood the stats-reroll feature.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I love GAF IB trains but I think most GAFfers are from the US and I tend to face severe lag due to that. The netcode in Destiny is amazing so it's still possible to kick ass and contribute to the team. I usually just go solo so that I get matched up with people in my region. I don't mind losing here and there but it's nice to have lag free games.

Thanks for the update Kartik.

Bungie added a cheaper shipping option for the Nepal tee. You can select the $15 shipping option now, don't have to pay $50 to ship it outside of the US.

nOoblet16

Radegast's Fury and Truth both do more damage than Hunger of Scrota. I like using Radegast's Fury for PvE because it is a legendary and pretty mucha ll my primary weapons are exotics except Fatebringer and also because it has Field scout and does more damage than Truth (I think, still haven't compared directly)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom