• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT20| HoW Comes, No Raid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ocean

Banned
what i mean is..will they continue the lore from the first game, or will there be alot of retcons
This way of presenting the story has been criticized so hard I can't imagine they'll go the same route.

I'm hoping they give us a more traditionally story driven campaign, with attending cutscenes (skippable) and dialogue providing motivation to begin a mission and some worth of consequence / reaction / rewarding words of thanks after each mission.

Think Eye of a Gate Lord. We go to the Reef, we are told why we should go. Afterwards, we return and get dialogue showing us what that mission's accomplishment will lead to story wise.

As it is, the missions all feel too disjointed and barely feel like they are a unified campaign and it sucks ass. The worst part is that the game is rich in lore. There's a lot of rich history behind it all but the game's plot centers around a barely explained and loosely connected mission to destroy a garden.

This way of presenting the story has been criticized so hard I can't imagine they'll go the same route.

I'm hoping they give us a more traditionally story driven campaign, with attending cutscenes (skippable) and dialogue providing motivation to begin a mission and some worth of consequence / reaction / rewarding words of thanks after each mission.

Think Eye of a Gate Lord. We go to the Reef, we are told why we should go. Afterwards, we return and get dialogue showing us what that mission's accomplishment will lead to story wise.

As it is, the missions all feel too disjointed and barely feel like they are a unified campaign and it sucks ass. The worst part is that the game is rich in lore. There's a lot of rich history behind it all but the game's plot centers around a barely explained and loosely connected mission to destroy a garden.

but they will still keep the same lore?...The Traveler will still be there etc.. you dont expect alot of retcons..just the way they approach the story

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
From last session.

upload_convert.gif

Still need two more kills so I'm up for it whenever.

duck_sauce

Just an update onmy pvp leveling. Im level 17 now (started yesterday) and i did all of the moon missions to gain access to bounties. It is easy and fun to level that way. =)

ocean

Banned
but they will still keep the same lore?...The Traveler will still be there etc.. you dont expect alot of retcons..just the way they approach the story
I think they'll change the way they present the story but I don't feel there's need for retcons. I mean a story this basic and simple is easy to keep coherent, and there aren't any multiple outcomes a la Mass Effect to reconcile.

There's a Traveler, we got Crota, we got Atheon, we got the Black Garden, all the Dtrike bosses are dead. Any story moving forward can keep all of this.

We don't have much to go on, but potential future stories include:

- what the fuck is up with Rasputin?
- is Oryx gonna come cheese us for killing his baby boy?
- can we now recover the moon and maybe make a push to reclaim other territories? Mars and its moons, maybe outer planets?
- basically any explanation on what's next with the traveler and the last city - stagnant attrition or a push to take back earth from the Fallen? That'd give a chance to show off new locales like Old Chicago, European Dead Zone, Mumbai etc.
- what the hell is that stranger up to and who does she work for

Whatever. There's enough lore and characters and stuff in this game that potential future story arches are limitless. What we got was so shallow and paltry there's no need to retcon it in my opinion.

Shirow

Banned
Last 2 weeks something happened. I sold my really nice White PS4 along with my monitor and everything gaming related except for my ps3. Needless to say destiny time is over forever which while I'm glad to have met some nice people in, I'm also glad it's all over with. I've concluded that gaming, in it's current form is just not for me. Destiny made me realize that more-so than any game before it.
As far as gaming goes, I think I'm seriously in for a good vacation on that for a while and will continue enjoying the classics like I always have from time to time. (That sega genesis love is for life.)
Thanks to everyone for the hard fought raids and joining up with me to get some serious loot.

duck_sauce

I've concluded that gaming, in it's current form is just not for me. Destiny made me realize that more-so than any game before it.
As far as gaming goes, I think I'm seriously in for a good vacation on that for a while and will continue enjoying the classics like I always have from time to time. (That sega genesis love is for life.)
Thanks to everyone for the hard fought raids and joining up with me to get some serious loot.

Godspeed and see you soon.

Deku Tree

I wonder if we will still need exotic shards to fully max out the damage of a post-HoW exotic weapon? Or to reach max light on a post HoW exotic armor? Or to unlock the last perk? Bungie has been quiet on post HoW Xur and new exotics. I bet there are substantial changes yet to be revealed.

If exotic shards are also becoming useless for new exotics then I wonder if Xur will buy back exotic shards? or will Xur buy back duplicate exotic weapons?

patchday

Last 2 weeks something happened. I sold my really nice White PS4 along with my monitor and everything gaming related except for my ps3. Needless to say destiny time is over forever which while I'm glad to have met some nice people in, I'm also glad it's all over with. I've concluded that gaming, in it's current form is just not for me. Destiny made me realize that more-so than any game before it.

damn Destiny made this guy give up on gaming altogether. I still login at least once a week to run a weekly heroic and an NF with GAF. This game is a fun little grinder. Hoping Destiny 2 will offer an indepth story and lore.

You should've kept the ps4 for Bloodborne though. Has a great story and it actually takes a lot of skill to beat the bosses. If you hated Bloodborne then it was time to sell that PS4 cause that is best all-around online RPG you can get on that platform (not counting DS2 which I have not played yet).

* Destiny is easier to coop in though esp with gaf

patchday

I wonder if we will still need exotic shards to fully max out the damage of a post-HoW exotic weapon? Or to reach max light on a post HoW exotic armor? Or to unlock the last perk? Bungie has been quiet on post HoW Xur and new exotics. I bet there are substantial changes yet to be revealed.

If exotic shards are also becoming useless for new exotics then I wonder if Xur will buy back exotic shards? or will Xur buy back duplicate exotic weapons?

I was wondering the samething when I read your post above bout the 65 exotic shards. I think they should keep the exotic shard system I guess or compensate collectors like yourself that is sitting on a pile of those.

Myself, I have not a single extra shard! So I'd be okay if they did away with them.

ocean

Banned

I know it was a test build but the ToO reveal began with a display of their loadouts. There was a 365 MIDA with a green bar on the icon (leveling in progress) which makes it look like 365 won't require a final bubble being filled.

LTWood12

Enjoyed playing with you! Best of luck.

Deku Tree

I know it was a test build but the ToO reveal began with a display of their loadouts. There was a 365 MIDA with a green bar on the icon (leveling in progress) which makes it look like 365 won't require a final bubble being filled.

http://youtu.be/c5wskANbWVE

In this video Planet destiny explains how to ascend and reforge stuff, and they ascend a completely un-upgraded thunderlord and it goes up to 334 attack. They claim that you need to fill in all the bubbles to get it to 365 attack but they don't show that nor do they show the requirements for filling in the bubbles.

They also claim that you need to fill in all the bubbles on un-upgraded old legendaries to get them to max attack value.

so you ordered that Batman PS4, right? ... Right?

The idea is, at this point we're the elders. Dunno, it totally worked in my brain. But I've long since learned that's not a sign of quality. :p

Whoa, totally a bump from last night, but this was the page my phone was displaying.

I never saw us as elders, so it makes much more sense now. From the perspective of a wise elder, it's a pretty good title.

Between so many of the true elders from the Alpha and Beta giving up or just moving on, and the constant influx of kinderguardians...I think of this community as much more than just elders.

I wish I could find a Hotel California pun somewhere in HoWs. It feels more like a place that you can check out anytime you'd like, then a prison.

the presentation for the story needs to be less "gamey". the XP bars, mission select and post-game rewards screen completely take me out of the experience and make everything feel disconnected. the old russia missions in particular were terrible for this. we beat the mission and then stand there for 15 seconds while dinklage explains what we just did - it's tacky. additionally, it's difficult to tell what mission the player should be playing chronologically other than a few subtle ui cues.

i wonder if it's just an inherent problem with having an "overworld map" and a "hub".

XenoRaven

"Hey Master Rahool, I found this Legendary Chest Engram and I still have a rare equipped. I'd really appreciate it if you could make sure this turned into a Legendary Chest because it would get me to level 29 and that would just be really great. Thanks man I really appreciate all your help."

"Did someone say they wanted ASCENDANT ENERGY?!?!?!?!"

"..."

Daemul

if ya ask me, the only map that really works for control is....

wait, hang on

The maps in Destiny are not really made for Control, they're far too unbalanced, especially the smaller ones. I have no idea what possessed Bungie to add the likes of Asylum and Anomaly to the the Control playlist. The only good thing about them is that you can get the multi kill bounty easily.

raindoc

VoG or CE HM anyone?

Drawing a blank here, no clue. Orbit and try again?

All 6 need to be in the maze area and the darkness zone has to appear.

If even one player is not, the checkpoint won't save, the doors and chests will remain locked.

Try a team wipe, if everyone dies but the game gives you the revive option, you don't have the checkpoint.

oh, we all were in the maze area. No idea what happened - we did have to go to orbit.

Was pretty funny though...

"Damn, i walked passed the ehhhhm... nope. There's no exit."

"What do you mean, no exit?"

"There's no effing hole in the wall."

*annoyed sigh* "let me che... holyshityou'reright"

nOoblet16

New Destiny PvP Trailer

What to expect when you enter the Crucible!

To be fair most if not all of them is due to the other player's connection, so your kill is delayed due to them lagging as it's P2P...as for the times where they keep running are the times where they get disconnected from game.

It's unavoidable and game's not really at fault here since there will always be people willing to play the game with shit internet connection (or people downloading in the background).

VoG or CE HM anyone?

oh, we all were in the maze area. No idea what happened - we did have to go to orbit.

I'd be up for VoG.

MickeyPhree

VoG or CE HM anyone?

I'm down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom