• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT20| HoW Comes, No Raid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol, watching triplewreck and datto's salvage stream before bed and they're matched up with a gaf crew.

C'mon guys!

I found the match. It was a real nail-biter! :p

kHwiOPD.png

We'll get 'em next time....

How would you guys rate thorn, tlw and hawkmoon for pvp and pve?

Have only leveled thorn so far.

PvE: They're all bottom-tier exotics for effectiveness, but can still be very fun to use for lower-level activities. I'd say Thorn > HMoon >>> TLW, but there are plenty of as-good or better Legendary hand cannons that free your exotic for more important stuff.

Of course they can still be fun to use in PvE but are all clearly designed for PvP.

PvP: TLW > Thorn > HMoon, although Thorn and HM are very similar while TLW is a totally different beast. TLW suits a faster, aggressive playstyle where its crazy RoF makes it the top PvP primary for mid to close range 1v1 engagements. It has the highest potential effectiveness but requires more experience and skill to maximize, while also falling way behind the other two for longer range engagements.

Thorn and HMoon both excel at mid to longer ranges while likely getting beat at close range. Thorn is a guaranteed 2 headshot kill while HM requires a little "luck" for one of its 3 extra damage perks to proc. The other trade-off is that Thorn can take longer for the DoT to kill which can result in the enemy tying you before dying. Imo both are easier to learn and use effectively than TLW.

Only tangentially related, but I've seen DGAF'ers get 2 HMoons during IB so far. At least this one was "deserved" unlike Pandora's:

black stig

Neo Member
Anyone up for trying a flawless Crota run today? Only need that and the Strength of the Pack trophies to get Guardian Lord!

If there aren't six who need it, if anyone just wants to help out that would be cool too.

1. ZW33
2. black_stig

I'd love to.

PSN black_stig

Oh god I'm never gonna live this down ;-;

I've got the video saved haha... At least I got to shut down TeaWrex in the middle of a super >:D

lol I was just checking out triple's stats earlier and remembered those posts last night, it was really easy to find. Only meant as a funny thing to laugh about, certainly no offense intended to anyone! He's a top-50 tier Crucible player, although not as good statistically as one of the guys from Zoba's (ex)-clan which annihilated me and a couple other DGAF'ers in Skirmish this week.

It doesn't happen often, but occasionally we run into some truly elite competition that outclasses even the best of the best around here.

hydruxo

How would you guys rate thorn, tlw and hawkmoon for pvp and pve?

Have only leveled thorn so far.

Hawkmoon used to be my go-to for PVP, but the range nerf to HCs a while back affected it more than it has with some of the other mid-range/long-range HCs. Hawkmoon is still a great gun, but it's somewhat gimped now at longer ranges. You have to be more cautious with how you choose fights.

patchday

Hawkmoon is still good though surely. Granted, been using Word of Crota lately only because I want to use my exotic slot for Thunder or ghorn. Esp ghorn. I like aiming loosely in the direction of red dots and watching wolfpacks swarm them

I found the match. It was a real nail-biter! :p

kHwiOPD.png

We'll get 'em next time....

PvE: They're all bottom-tier exotics for effectiveness, but can still be very fun to use for lower-level activities. I'd say Thorn > HMoon >>> TLW, but there are plenty of as-good or better Legendary hand cannons that free your exotic for more important stuff.

Of course they can still be fun to use in PvE but are all clearly designed for PvP.

PvP: TLW > Thorn > HMoon, although Thorn and HM are very similar while TLW is a totally different beast. TLW suits a faster, aggressive playstyle where its crazy RoF makes it the top PvP primary for mid to close range 1v1 engagements. It has the highest potential effectiveness but requires more experience and skill to maximize, while also falling way behind the other two for longer range engagements.

Thorn and HMoon both excel at mid to longer ranges while likely getting beat at close range. Thorn is a guaranteed 2 headshot kill while HM requires a little "luck" for one of its 3 extra damage perks to proc. The other trade-off is that Thorn can take longer for the DoT to kill which can result in the enemy tying you before dying. Imo both are easier to learn and use effectively than TLW.

Only tangentially related, but I've seen DGAF'ers get 2 HMoons during IB so far. At least this one was "deserved" unlike Pandora's:

[edit] WAIT a sec hold up! That was gaf playing against those guys in the ToO stream? I didnt know this

Kal_El

I really want to play with some of you guys because I don't see the appreciation for the Bad Juju. I rekt so much guardian ass with this weapon. I can out shoot thorn most of the time and hawkmoon a little less. So with that said i'll be online in about 2 hours. 4pm CST. Send an invite so that I can prove the awesomness of THE BAD JUJU.

PSN Clark_Kent

lol I was just checking out triple's stats earlier and remembered those posts last night, it was really easy to find. Only meant as a funny thing to laugh about, certainly no offense intended to anyone! He's a top-50 tier Crucible player, although not as good statistically as one of the guys from Zoba's (ex)-clan which annihilated me and a couple other DGAF'ers in Skirmish this week.

Lolol none taken! We were all laughing at ourselves during that match - we had almost no playtime on that map at all so we were all trying to figure out what was happening. I think we eventually holed up in a corner while Tokems went around disabling relic point XD

ocean

Banned

It doesn't happen often, but occasionally we run into some truly elite competition that outclasses even the best of the best around here.
That match was insane. Blinking TLW Bladedancers from Ziba's team gave me PTSD.

OH man just got to my new town. Left my PS4 and all my books and some clothes until next week when I run another haul of bags over here.

With no TV in sight until I can afford one, Destiny withdrawal begins now. Keep posting streams and videos guys, I need my Destiny fix :p

Looking to get together some more HM VOG runs. I have the Gorgon chest checkpoint on my titan and warlock, but my intent is to get Fatebringer and VoC, which means I really need to do the Templar on both to hope it drops.

1: hikarutimitt
2: alleykatden (the wife)
3: nOoblet16
4: DekuBleep
5: Mass Appeal
6:

Looking to start within the next 30 minutes or so.

EDIT: Forgot to specify this is on PS4.

Sorry took longer then I thought. I know your full now but If someone drops out let me know.

Haybro

Lolol none taken! We were all laughing at ourselves during that match - we had almost no playtime on that map at all so we were all trying to figure out what was happening. I think we eventually holed up in a corner while Tokems went around disabling relic point XD

Haha, tw's clown cartridge proc'd like 3-4 times in a row. He was running around with rockets for pretty much the entire match.

Bollocks

Soloing IB sucks so much
Been playing for 2h and NOT one single victory, either my team is behind from the start or we lead and loose ._.

We almost couldn't win against 4 people, with what kind of idiots do I play with?
At least I could turn in my 5 medallions and get my spear, I'm done.

patchday

I didn't even know there was any stat tracking since its not available ingame

Looked up mine the other day. Man, would've been so much better if not for all that afking I did in the old IB to hit L30.

Think I was in top 27%. Just wonder what it would be if not for IB being such a long snorefest (for me!)

Soloing IB sucks so much
Been playing for 2h and NOT one single victory, either my team is behind from the start or we lead and loose ._.

We almost couldn't win against 4 people, with what kind of idiots do I play with?
At least I could turn in my 5 medallions and get my spear, I'm done.

I played IB with randoms early this morning. I did get 3 straight losses but all were super close. Like with 100 points almost. It was crazy. I just couldn't take logging out with a medal of fail so kept going til I got a win

I might log on for a bit if there is an IB train. want to see how I do with a group of coordinated killers

[edit] I meant to add I bet now all the "pros" are awake its probably much harder to get wins.

Mindlog

Closing in on Rank 4 and the riches are starting to roll in.
Similarion's Wrath achieved!

I have 300 motes to spend for the perfect roll.

patchday

I used to run IB groups way back when and organized them on GAF.

But here is the bad news. To run a great group you need to be honest with folks and ask them to leave if they're dragging down your k/d ratio. I just dont have the heart for that so I usually just solo IB.

And heck, sometimes my k/d ratio dips below 1.0.

It's a shame the kills/deaths weigh so heavily into the scoring. Bungie knows killing someone in this game can be dirt simple (via sticky grenades, novas, hulk smashes, etc) so I'd love to see an objective mode that factored out kills. But like Zoba told me on this thread it doesn't seem like that is in Bungie's plan

[edit] Would love to see a document on how scoring works in Control. But it seems heavily weighted by kills.

nOoblet16

But here is the bad news. To run a great group you need to be honest with folks and ask them to leave if they're dragging down your k/d ratio. I just dont have the heart for that so I usually just solo IB.

It's a shame the kills/deaths weigh so heavily into the scoring. Bungie knows killing someone in this game can be dirt simple (via sticky grenades, novas, hulk smashes, etc) so I'd love to see an objective mode that factored out kills. But like Zoba told me on this thread it doesn't seem like that is in Bungie's plan

[edit] Would love to see a document on how scoring works in Control. But it seems heavily weighted by kills.
Nah it doesn't really matter that much to have everyone above 1, we have 1-2 people with less than 1 KDR all the time, it's about holding the points and the kill count themselves more than the KDR as you can actually have +1 KDR and still lose if you don't hold points. Holding points while defending them also gives you even more points.

It's 100 for kills, with 50 on top for each point you hold then 10 for headshots, 25 for super and something similar for enforcer, first position kill, kills while defending points, then for streaks etc etc.

ocean

Banned

People should definitely be honest. Last night was my last Destiny session in the coming weeks but with moving out and everything my mind wasn't there. Went .65, .45, .4. Then I quit because i was being selfish and unfair dragging the team down like that. I just wasn't concentrated and it's unfair to make others put up with you if you're not at you're best. If despite your best you still lose I'm pretty sure GAF buds understand and don't mind but otherwise just shake it off and play later.

hydruxo

K/D ratios are the scourge of FPS games and I wish devs would stop putting such a focus on them. People get too caught up in them, epecially when they constantly show it to you after each match.

Anyone up for trying a flawless Crota run today? Only need that and the Strength of the Pack trophies to get Guardian Lord!

If there aren't six who need it, if anyone just wants to help out that would be cool too.

1. ZW33
2.black_stig
3.Solidsnakejej

I'd be interested in this. On your friends list just invite me if you get a team.

CANnot overstate what a game changer For The People is. I've never been able to pull this kind of performance in Crucible. It's certainly not anything pro level but for a middling PVP player like me it's like a whole new game.

M3Rocket

Anybody needs to Glimmer Farm? I'm down to 0 (literally) after getting IB stuff. I have the Gorgon Normal CP and can get to the GK easily enough unless someone else has that CP I can grab really quickly.

CANnot overstate what a game changer For The People is. I've never been able to pull this kind of performance in Crucible. It's certainly not anything pro level but for a middling PVP player like me it's like a whole new game.

I told people about For The Peoples sniper like ability. But they laughed, LAUGHED at me. Now whos laughing? Me. Because I got a Badger Scout with maximum the range. They will all rue the day.

patchday

Nah it doesn't really matter that much to have everyone above 1, we have 1-2 people with less than 1 KDR all the time, it's about holding the points and the kill count themselves more than the KDR as you can actually have +1 KDR and still lose if you don't hold points. Holding points while defending them also gives you even more points.

It's 100 for kills, with 50 on top for each point you hold then 10 for headshots, 25 for super and something similar for enforcer, first position kill, kills while defending points, then for streaks etc etc.

Yeah but early this morning, for example, we held 2 control points on Blind Watch (C & B) (edit- bah cant remember which map it was but it was the one where holding B & C nets you victory). both teams were bout 19,000. Now- if kills did not matter, we would have won.

But since kills does matter- the guys on our team lost the match for us. Because they kept charging in and dying instead of just sitting back and playing smart defense with snipes, etc.

Just got done watching this video which explains the scoring. Basically just reinforces what you just said but it emphasizes its really just deathmatch (but the control points held add a bonus)

Yeah but early this morning, for example, we held 2 control points on Blind Watch (C & B). both teams were bout 19,000. Now- if kills did not matter, we would have won.

But since kills does matter- the guys on our team lost the match for us. Because they kept charging in and dying instead of just sitting back and playing smart defense with snipes, etc.

Just got done watching this video which explains the scoring. Basically just reinforces what you just said but it emphasizes its really just deathmatch (but the control points held add a bonus)

That's exactly what it is. For a not so great PvP'er like myself, it really helped the other night when we were at 18000 or so, Unstable would call out "Team Deathmatch time", and we all would just stop being aggressive, and just ride it out even if we only had one flag.

patchday

That's exactly what it is. For a not so great PvP'er like myself, it really helped the other night when we were at 18000 or so, Unstable would call out "Team Deathmatch time", and we all would just stop being aggressive, and just ride it out even if we only had one flag.

Huh don't think I've ever played with Unstable. Next time I see a pvp group forming when he posts I'll join up if I'm around

Sullichin

TLW has made me pretty much give up on shotguns. I only pull it in close range if I'm out of ammo really. I'm getting a shitton of hip fire TLW kills in IB from people rushing me with a shotgun

aarcane

Thanks to Blue Ninja for the VoG invite. It was nice to see Patience and Time pop up from the Gorgon chest, I've been after that one for ages.

After finishing the Pocket Infinity bounty this morning, it's been a pretty good day.

Got to rank 5 today in my first ever Iron Banner! Bought Timur's Lash and Efrideet's Spear. Didn't have enough glimmer for any of the armour unfortunately.

Also got Silimar's Wrath and Jolder's Hammer as drops. Can anyone confirm if these are the only two drops possible? They are the only legendary loot I saw dropping.

Productive day:

Got my 3 public events, finished my Pocket Infinity Bounty (holding on to it until HoW drops), went to the gym, bought groceries meal prepped for a few days. Now to enjoy the rest of the day with a some light gaming and preparing for my last essay ever in undergraduate and ending the night with Game of Thrones.

Would love to see a document on how scoring works in Control. But it seems heavily weighted by kills.

It's essentially all based on kills. 25 points to neutralize and 75 points to capture a point is insignificant compared to 20,000 needed to win. Control is really "Team Deathmatch with Score Modifiers."

Every kill is worth 100 points, then additional bonuses are added on top, like you mentioned (headshot kill, kill using heavy, melee, grenade, super etc.) The main score modifiers are based on number of points controlled:

1 Point Controlled: +50 points per kill
2 Points Controlled: +100 points per kill
3 Points Controlled: +200 points per kill

That huge boost for Domination is why I'm always calling for people to fall back and at least neutralize a point if the other team is going to trip-cap us. Dying under domination is 3x a base kill, the score can get out of hand very quickly. There are lots of other bonus points added to a basic kill but they aren't significant enough to base your strategy around. They're things you should be trying to do regardless (e.g. headshots).

The essential Control strat is to control 2 points for the majority of the match so you get 200 pts/kill while the other team gets 150 pts/kill. It's possible to win rounds while getting fewer kills than the other team if you control 2 points (3 kills for you = 4 kills for them).

The key to controlling two points is controlling desirable spawn positions. Point B is always a requirement since it's impossible to hold A+C for extended periods due to their distance apart and the spawn point locations. The only exceptions are (1) if the other team goes full force onto B you can snag A+C temporarily, and (2) near the end of a tight match since only actual kills matter.

Unbalanced Maps: BWatch, ShoresoT, and FirebaseD are severely unbalanced so C is required for the first two and A for the latter. Always prioritize falling back to the desirable spawn positions over holding point B. If you keep the spawns, you'll eventually clear out the enemies and can more easily push back onto B. These maps are also easier to win by only holding one point and the desirable spawns.

Balanced-ish Maps: Other maps arguably have preferences (C on Anomaly, A on Twilight Gap and Burning Shrine) but the imbalances are less severe. Imo Rusted Lands and Asylum are the most balanced. For balanced maps, holding B is critical. If you have A or C, it's not useful to push the opposite one since this will simply flip spawns and the other team will easily capture whichever exterior point you currently hold. It's much easier to defend a capp'ed point than neutralize and capture an enemy point so getting B control is always job #1.

Deku Tree

It's essentially all based on kills. 25 points to neutralize and 75 points to capture a point is insignificant compared to 20,000 needed to win. Control is really "Team Deathmatch with Score Modifiers."

Every kill is worth 100 points, then additional bonuses are added on top, like you mentioned (headshot kill, kill using heavy, melee, grenade, super etc.) The main score modifiers are based on number of points controlled:

1 Point Controlled: +50 points per kill
2 Points Controlled: +100 points per kill
3 Points Controlled: +200 points per kill

That huge boost for Domination is why I'm always calling for people to fall back and at least neutralize a point if the other team is going to trip-cap us. Dying under domination is 3x a base kill, the score can get out of hand very quickly. There are lots of other bonus points added to a basic kill but they aren't significant enough to base your strategy around. They're things you should be trying to do regardless (e.g. headshots).

The essential Control strat is to control 2 points for the majority of the match so you get 200 pts/kill while the other team gets 150 pts/kill. It's possible to win rounds while getting fewer kills than the other team if you control 2 points (3 kills for you = 4 kills for them).

The key to controlling two points is controlling desirable spawn positions. Point B is always a requirement since it's impossible to hold A+C for extended periods due to their distance apart and the spawn point locations. The only exceptions are (1) if the other team goes full force onto B you can snag A+C temporarily, and (2) near the end of a tight match since only actual kills matter.

Unbalanced Maps: BWatch, ShoresoT, and FirebaseD are severely unbalanced so C is required for the first two and A for the latter. Always prioritize falling back to the desirable spawn positions over holding point B. If you keep the spawns, you'll eventually clear out the enemies and can more easily push back onto B. These maps are also easier to win by only holding one point and the desirable spawns.

Balanced-ish Maps: Other maps arguably have preferences (C on Anomaly, A on Twilight Gap and Burning Shrine) but the imbalances are less severe. Imo Rusted Lands and Asylum are the most balanced. For balanced maps, holding B is critical. If you have A or C, it's not useful to push the opposite one since this will simply flip spawns and the other team will easily capture whichever exterior point you currently hold. It's much easier to defend a capp'ed point than neutralize and capture an enemy point so getting B control is always job #1.

Thanks for the informative post Drizzay!

Aaaaaand to top it all off I just got FWC greaves for ranking up to level 4. Looks like even though it's not TDB stuff, it's still been upgraded to 33/309 max. LOVELY.

But God damn do I need helium filaments now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom