• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT20| HoW Comes, No Raid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ocean

Banned
Aaaaaand to top it all off I just got FWC greaves for ranking up to level 4. Looks like even though it's not TDB stuff, it's still been upgraded to 33/309 max. LOVELY.

But God damn do I need helium filaments now.
In 2 weeks Vendor gear will be sold with 36 Light right off the bat, with way fewer bubbles to upgrade and at only 4 planetary mats each. Not sure grinding to 33 Light at such expensive mat requirements so near HoW would be worth it to be honest

In 2 weeks Vendor gear will be sold with 36 Light right off the bat, with way fewer bubbles to upgrade and at only 4 planetary mats each. Not sure grinding to 33 Light at such expensive mat requirements so near HoW would be worth it to be honest

Unles you like the way it looks.

Xbone GAF crew got HM Crota and 2x HM Atheon down. Saw a plan C drop and some other good raid gear, nothing extraordinary. Word of Crota and Atheon's Epilogue still elude me.

It's essentially all based on kills. 25 points to neutralize and 75 points to capture a point is insignificant compared to 20,000 needed to win. Control is really "Team Deathmatch with Score Modifiers."

Every kill is worth 100 points, then additional bonuses are added on top, like you mentioned (headshot kill, kill using heavy, melee, grenade, super etc.) The main score modifiers are based on number of points controlled:

1 Point Controlled: +50 points per kill
2 Points Controlled: +100 points per kill
3 Points Controlled: +200 points per kill

That huge boost for Domination is why I'm always calling for people to fall back and at least neutralize a point if the other team is going to trip-cap us. Dying under domination is 3x a base kill, the score can get out of hand very quickly. There are lots of other bonus points added to a basic kill but they aren't significant enough to base your strategy around. They're things you should be trying to do regardless (e.g. headshots).

The essential Control strat is to control 2 points for the majority of the match so you get 200 pts/kill while the other team gets 150 pts/kill. It's possible to win rounds while getting fewer kills than the other team if you control 2 points (3 kills for you = 4 kills for them).

The key to controlling two points is controlling desirable spawn positions. Point B is always a requirement since it's impossible to hold A+C for extended periods due to their distance apart and the spawn point locations. The only exceptions are (1) if the other team goes full force onto B you can snag A+C temporarily, and (2) near the end of a tight match since only actual kills matter.

Unbalanced Maps: BWatch, ShoresoT, and FirebaseD are severely unbalanced so C is required for the first two and A for the latter. Always prioritize falling back to the desirable spawn positions over holding point B. If you keep the spawns, you'll eventually clear out the enemies and can more easily push back onto B. These maps are also easier to win by only holding one point and the desirable spawns.

Balanced-ish Maps: Other maps arguably have preferences (C on Anomaly, A on Twilight Gap and Burning Shrine) but the imbalances are less severe. Imo Rusted Lands and Asylum are the most balanced. For balanced maps, holding B is critical. If you have A or C, it's not useful to push the opposite one since this will simply flip spawns and the other team will easily capture whichever exterior point you currently hold. It's much easier to defend a capp'ed point than neutralize and capture an enemy point so getting B control is always job #1.

Would just like to add, personally I reckon A on Asylum is better than C because when you attack B, it has two points of entry from the corridor instead of just one which makes things easier.

ocean

Banned
Unles you like the way it looks.
New Vendor armor looks great. Can't wait to have a max level build with speed HC reload and all Int/Dis. It's nice not to depend on random Raid perks and being able to build your setup with the perks and attributes you like, it'll bring so much variety.

New Vendor armor looks great. Can't wait to have a max level build with speed HC reload and all Int/Dis. It's nice not to depend on random Raid perks and being able to build your setup with the perks and attributes you like, it'll bring so much variety.

Yup. I hope there's a way to get some of the older Vanguard gear, though. Some of that stuff looked cool.

nOoblet16

I found the match. It was a real nail-biter! :p

kHwiOPD.png

We'll get 'em next time....

PvE: They're all bottom-tier exotics for effectiveness, but can still be very fun to use for lower-level activities. I'd say Thorn > HMoon >>> TLW, but there are plenty of as-good or better Legendary hand cannons that free your exotic for more important stuff.

Of course they can still be fun to use in PvE but are all clearly designed for PvP.

PvP: TLW > Thorn > HMoon, although Thorn and HM are very similar while TLW is a totally different beast. TLW suits a faster, aggressive playstyle where its crazy RoF makes it the top PvP primary for mid to close range 1v1 engagements. It has the highest potential effectiveness but requires more experience and skill to maximize, while also falling way behind the other two for longer range engagements.

Thorn and HMoon both excel at mid to longer ranges while likely getting beat at close range. Thorn is a guaranteed 2 headshot kill while HM requires a little "luck" for one of its 3 extra damage perks to proc. The other trade-off is that Thorn can take longer for the DoT to kill which can result in the enemy tying you before dying. Imo both are easier to learn and use effectively than TLW.

Only tangentially related, but I've seen DGAF'ers get 2 HMoons during IB so far. At least this one was "deserved" unlike Pandora's:

Hawkmoon is bottom tier PvE exotic ? :eek:
I always thought it was a good one because of its high damage.

GJs all around for our party!

Got Fatebringer, Found Verdict x2, MIDA #3, Black Hammer #2 and a ton of mats.

Still chasing that Vison of Confluence, though and both my Warlock and Titan still have the Gorgon checkpoint, so might just try to get this cleared out.

A_Gorilla

Banned
I wish it could, that's how it should be.

Fuck that elitist bullshit. Games are supposed to be fun and enjoyable, not hair-pulling "git better son!" crap. There should be difficulty, yes, but not so insurmountable that only the most addicted neckbeards can ever hope to win.

This is pretty much why my Titan and Warlock are still at 30/31. It's not worth it, to me, to go burning through mats and hoping for drops and/or going through IB when I'm not a fan of PvP just to get to 32 and have it essentially not matter in 2 weeks.

Anyone up for DS + Crota, Normal mode, x2? I have a special checkpoint, gjallerhorns/hawkmoons/thunderlords for everyone, guaranteed.

1. Me

GJs all around for our party!

Got Fatebringer, Found Verdict x2, MIDA #3, Black Hammer #2 and a ton of mats.

Still chasing that Vison of Confluence, though and both my Warlock and Titan still have the Gorgon checkpoint, so might just try to get this cleared out.

Good games yeah!

Bagged my, oh I don't know, 15th Dragons Breath? Good day indeed, heh.

Crota was being pretty weird though today, made those normal runs much harder than they should have been.

Whoa! What's max marks? I think I'll save them now. Probably will work to level up vanguard and crucible rep to prepare through.

When I leveled Vanguard up though, all I got was a commendation, IIRC, while FWC showered me with greaves, mats, and other stuff. Is it just because FWC was a higher rep? Does vanguard eventually give you good stuff too?

Although, shit, in two weeks, there are no more commendations so maybe I should just stop playing altogether lol.

15 dollars shipping is still pretty crazy, imo. I can't shell out that much for just a shirt, even if it is for a good cause.

Yeah, it's unfortunate. Even with $10 shipping it works out to be 42.36 CAD with the conversion. That's too much for a tshirt for me :(

I'd gladly buy the emblem and shader for like $5-10 though.

Actually I'll open this question to the floor. I have a lot of time over the next few weeks, but don't feel like wasting mats on leveling. That said I'm still on lvl 29. Should I just focus on leveling up crucible, vanguard, and faction reps through bounties and save my shards and marks?

I'm about to farm some glimmer in ~5 mins. Feel free to hop in and join or just grab the checkpoint. Need a lot of it, so I'll be doing it for a while.

PSN - Dr_LawyerCop

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
That Drizzay post is nuts but very true.

Fuck Firebase Delphi.

I'm about to farm some glimmer in ~5 mins. Feel free to hop in and join or just grab the checkpoint. Need a lot of it, so I'll be doing it for a while.

PSN - Dr_LawyerCop

I think I'm already on your FL. I'll definitely be in there. I want to buy that rank 5 IB shader and a second Timur's.

ocean

Banned
Actually I'll open this question to the floor. I have a lot of time over the next few weeks, but don't feel like wasting mats on leveling. That said I'm still on lvl 29. Should I just focus on leveling up crucible, vanguard, and faction reps through bounties and save my shards and marks?
I'd suggest you hoard marks. Ideally you want 200 (cap) Crucible and 200 Canguard Marks on May 19th.

Weapons are 150 Marks and require a given faction to be Rank 3. Armor requires rank 2 and cost 120 (Helmet) or 75 (everything else).

You can buy Helm+Chest at Vanguard and Boots+Gauntlets with another Crucible faction of you have 200 on each side for instance.

Your current Exotic armor already hits 36 Light so assuming you have some maxed Exotic armor you will only need 3 new vendor pieces to hit 32.

hydruxo

15 dollars shipping is still pretty crazy, imo. I can't shell out that much for just a shirt, even if it is for a good cause.

It's far better than the 40+ dollars for shipping that it was. I just posted it because I know some people on here wanted to buy one the other day.

Ghazi

Fuck that elitist bullshit. Games are supposed to be fun and enjoyable, not hair-pulling "git better son!" crap. There should be difficulty, yes, but not so insurmountable that only the most addicted neckbeards can ever hope to win.

"Elitist Bullshit?" Don't make me laugh, that's not at all what I was implying. Would it kill anyone if there was a single set of gear equal to others that was harder to get? Nope. Crucible/Multiplayer in most games by nature is an environment where one goes to win. It's supposed to be competitive (not MLG competitive, but challenging). There's nothing hair pulling about "getting better." What a joke. You're either good enough to win or you lose in Trials of Osiris and that is exactly what it's about. It's literally supposed to be a competitive, challenging event where the best win. I find it amusing that you're so frightened by that sentiment. But "Oh noes, I wasn't good enough to get my difficult to acquire ToO gear, whatever shall I do with my life. Make it easier."

Some things in these kinds of games should have bragging rights or stories behind them. As it stands now, all the special gear is "Yeah, I beat that one raid and was lucky with RNG" or "Yeah, I just grinded ranks in IB until I got to rank five" versus something like "I played ToO and beat all the teams along the way to get my badass looking armor."

Besides, you don't have to be a "neckbeard" to get anything. You don't even really have to be that great at Destiny PvP to win anything, randos in multiplayer aren't really that great. And I say that as someone has grinded multiple IB events to five, alone.

Deku Tree

I'd suggest you hoard marks. Ideally you want 200 (cap) Crucible and 200 Canguard Marks on May 19th.

Weapons are 150 Marks and require a given faction to be Rank 3. Armor requires rank 2 and cost 120 (Helmet) or 75 (everything else).

You can buy Helm+Chest at Vanguard and Boots+Gauntlets with another Crucible faction of you have 200 on each side for instance.

Your current Exotic armor already hits 36 Light so assuming you have some maxed Exotic armor you will only need 3 new vendor pieces to hit 32.

Nah, my helm of inmost light only goes to 30 :(

"Elitist Bullshit?" Don't make me laugh, that's not at all what I was implying. Would it kill anyone if there was a single set of gear equal to others that was harder to get? Nope. Crucible/Multiplayer in most games by nature is an environment where one goes to win. It's supposed to be competitive (not MLG competitive, but challenging). There's nothing hair pulling about "getting better." What a joke. You're either good enough to win or you lose in Trials of Osiris and that is exactly what it's about. It's literally supposed to be a competitive, challenging event where the best win. I find it amusing that you're so frightened by that sentiment. But "Oh noes, I wasn't good enough to get my difficult to acquire ToO gear, whatever shall I do with my life. Make it easier."

Some things in these kinds of games should have bragging rights or stories behind them. As it stands now, all the special gear is "Yeah, I beat that one raid and was lucky with RNG" or "Yeah, I just grinded ranks in IB until I got to rank five" versus something like "I played ToO and beat all the teams along the way to get my badass looking armor."

Besides, you don't have to be a "neckbeard" to get anything.

I agree. If anything, there should be more PvE gear and armour that is challenging to get rather than just luck-based. Thorn is a great example. You know that everyone who has it had to suffer through all the stages of the bounty to get it, and I respect that, despite how annoying it is to fight against in Crucible. Mythoclast is good because you can only get it from Hard Mode Atheon kills - which is certainly a high bar. The only frustrating part is that you have no guarantee at it when you do beat him.

I almost wish that instead of Exotics dropping randomly, you'd get a bounty quest line for each of them instead. But I can understand why they didn't do it that way.

I'm not very good at crucible, but in 1 day (today) I've managed to:

Complete 5/6 IB bounties (just headshot sprees eludes me)
Get to rank 2.5
Get from 0 to 203/500 on my Thorn bounty
Shout every profanity I know as loud as I can (sorry neighbours)

Tomorrow I plan to get the Spear and not go backwards on my Thorn bounty.

Yeah on this page

https://www.bungie.net/7_Gearing-Up-for-House-of-Wolves/en/News/News?aid=12764

it also says

Friday, May 8th
Stay tuned!

On the HoW page it used to have one node for 5/6 and another node for 5/8... now it has two reveal nodes both on 5/6... wonder if they cut some reveal or if they are now revealing everything on the 5/6... or what?

Hmm. Probably 2 birds one stone. Itd be easier to reveal multiple things on Wednesday and then do a write up for everything on Friday, than to reveal something on Wed, thrn another reveal on Friday with a write up later that day. That and everything will already be set up for Wednesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom