• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT20| HoW Comes, No Raid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
I am buying them right now since you could upgrade all legendary gear and weapons to match HoW light gear so yeah, I could had saved that old IB gear and test it.

Bungie still cant separate the PVE enviroment from PVP making the pve weapons super viable in PVP and the PVP weapons only viable in IB, without counting their inability to separate the players level in PVP, you shoulnt be allowed to get paired with 30-32 people if you are lv 26 or being able to join IB as a low level if someone invite you.

There should be lv ranks in pvp like 10 to 19, 20 to 29 and finally 30 to 32 instead of just degrading all the gear and weapons damage to be equal to everyone to enter the normal PVP enviroment.

Iron Banner and Trials of Osiris take level into account.

Thanks for the answers guys.

There's no reason my maxed out Regime should deal 32 to the head with iron sights.

GhaleonEB

What if it's just horde mode with a random thing added like a burn in the Nightfall? I don't have a lot of hope for the randomization.

I still don't get why some people want horde when the entire campaign plays like horde mode.

I see this a lot, but it totally misunderstands what makes a proper hoard mode.

1) Variety. In campaign every encounter and set of spawns is static - same order, same enemies, every time. You can mix it up with different load outs and builds, but that's on you to find ways to play the same content in different ways. A good hoard mode offers that from the get-go. This is really the key: a good hoard mode keeps you on your toes. The story missions and strikes do not.

2) Progression. Being the frog in a pot of water slowly coming to a boil as things get more and more challenging is a lot of fun. It's something totally missing from the other game modes, save perhaps the sequence in the Templar's Well of VoG - and that is missing point #1.

3) Other players. Running the same strikes over and over solo would get boring fast. Running them with friends (and even decent randoms) is something else entirely. I always have a good time playing with buddies, who are much more likely to run something like PoE in part because

4) of the loot. I run a daily heroic mission almost every day, because I still find them fun (alternating load outs and classes each day). But a good hoard mode will have the high end loot dangling out there to grab. It's not the reason to play it, but it's a great reward when you do.

Its definitely UNfun if you are not in level appropriate gear.

Regular crucible is much more enjoyable to me being 29.

It's fun in moderation, play too much and it'll start to get to you! TLW/Thorn, Blink/Felwinter, and the lag. I much prefer just the Crucible. My Crucible matches are rarely laggy, most people have "good" connection. I don't know why IB is so bad. Guess it's the influx of players, idk.

phen0m24

Count this as my periodic "I heart DGAF" post. I'm on the Podcast Beyond FB group and people are posting how they are good and wondering why bad people play games, causing them to have to be on bad teams, to lose matches, etc. It comes across like totally elitist douchebaggery, and I want to thank all of you who are so awesome at what you do (in this case, dominate Destiny) and are polite and patient and helpful. Drizzy and Rawr and Fig and Hawkian and Dhruv and Ortho and Reaper and all of you. You take Noobs into IB or MP and are the classiest folks around.

And Zoba I'm singling you out as I've never seen someone go as completely off the charts in MP and yet help people and post guides and everything else. I know sometimes we talk about carrying and all but you guys just freaking rock.

Ok I'll shut up now

Count this as my periodic "I heart DGAF" post. I'm on the Podcast Beyond FB group and people are posting how they are good and wondering why bad people play games, causing them to have to be on bad teams, to lose matches, etc. It comes across like totally elitist douchebaggery, and I want to thank all of you who are so awesome at what you do (in this case, dominate Destiny) and are polite and patient and helpful. Drizzy and Rawr and Fig and Hawkian and Dhruv and Ortho and Reaper and all of you. You take Noobs into IB or MP and are the classiest folks around.

And Zoba I'm singling you out as I've never seen someone go as completely off the charts in MP and yet help people and post guides and everything else. I know sometimes we talk about carrying and all but you guys just freaking rock.

Ok I'll shut up now

No, carry on pls.

1) Variety. In campaign every encounter and set of spawns is static - same order, same enemies, every time. You can mix it up with different load outs and builds, but that's on you to find ways to play the same content in different ways. A good hoard mode offers that from the get-go. This is really the key: a good hoard mode keeps you on your toes. The story missions and strikes do not.

2) Progression. Being the frog in a pot of water slowly coming to a boil as things get more and more challenging is a lot of fun. It's something totally missing from the other game modes, save perhaps the sequence in the Templar's Well of VoG - and that is missing point #1.

3) Other players. Running the same strikes over and over solo would get boring fast. Running them with friends (and even decent randoms) is something else entirely. I always have a good time playing with buddies, who are much more likely to run something like PoE in part because

4) of the loot. I run a daily heroic mission almost every day, because I still find them fun (alternating load outs and classes each day). But a good hoard mode will have the high end loot dangling out there to grab. It's not the reason to play it, but it's a great reward when you do.

You said it more poignantly than I ever could. I usually just bang someone over the head screaming 'WHY YOU DON'T LIKE THING I DO!'.

tUR8Jo5.jpg

So i completed the salvage trophy today, only to discover this:
0G8QiZG.jpg

i need flawless raider, raiding party, and strength of the pack to get my GL card.
anyone down for doing these tomorrow?

I'm in for some reset stuff tomorrow night if you still have room... you're still hunting for that horn, right? Just like me, RIGHT?

Ok I'll shut up now

You're welcome.

I'm in for some reset stuff tomorrow night if you still have room... you're still hunting for that horn, right? Just like me, RIGHT?

It's just you. All alone. Hornless.
Ok, so Fig even puts her headset on to talk to some weirdo interrupting her lunch to tell his sorry butt how to do chalice dungeons.

Beat that darn BLB though, finally

<3

Haha you're welcome. You tried Defiled yet?

if prison of elders is odst's firefight on steroids, i'll be content. the intimacy of those maps along with the increasingly overwhelming odds stacked against the player made it consistently fun to replay despite lacking variety. on an off day i'd often boot up windward and just run around no scoping the covenant. or i'd grab a buddy and we'd hog it out on lost platoon. firefight's biggest problem was the laggy netcode, which destiny doesn't really suffer from in its pve content, so bungie would have it easy if they were to port that over to destiny. however, if they were to take it to the next level and add some objectives to it, things would be considerably more interesting.

i'm not very interested in trials of osiris and crucible was a disaster when i left, so my house of hype levels will depend on this reveal.

rNilla

if prison of elders is odst's firefight on steroids, i'll be content. but if they take it to the next level and add some objectives to it, then things will be considerably more interesting.

i'm not very interested in trials of osiris and crucible was a disaster when i left, so my house of hype levels will depend on this reveal.

house of cautious optimism

Rymuth

If you're interested in those beginner raids here's the sign up page:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1DcCXWHn5EYFKlJmPjawNCHovK8v9IrBORo3WrcPfTE8/viewform

I ran both raids for the first time with Hawkian and fellow gaffers, and it was pretty great. It's laid back and everyone was really cool about it. I'd definitely recommend signing up for it you want a good experience your first time through.
Signed up as well.

Im level 31 and have yet to raid a single time for fear of screwing up. :p

Deku Tree

if prison of elders is odst's firefight on steroids, i'll be content. the intimacy of those maps along with the increasingly overwhelming odds stacked against the player made it consistently fun to replay despite lacking variety. on an off day i'd often boot up windward and just run around no scoping the covenant. or i'd grab a buddy and we'd hog it out on lost platoon. firefight's biggest problem was the laggy netcode, which destiny doesn't really suffer from in its pve content, so bungie would have it easy if they were to port that over to destiny. however, if they were to take it to the next level and add some objectives to it, things would be considerably more interesting.

I just want the PoE armor to look better than the Egyptian ToO armor.

Trakan

When referring to the Templar's Well, are you talking about defending the confluxes? That's the absolute worst part of the raid IMO.

Destiny can't really offer that type of variety. When I think of horde, I think of Gears, where it started and where I played it. I don't even really like it there, but it was the type of game that offered what you're describing. Gears could throw a Corpser or a Berserker at you to totally throw you off and you'd get a Captain with a ton of health in this game.

Loot is the only reason I'd play it, but I'm glad the Trials of Osiris exist now so I don't have to if I don't want to.

I just want the PoE armor to look better than the Egyptian ToO armor.

It's nowhere close. Granted this isn't in game, but it doesn't look as nice as the Trials gear.

10894910_1517548905175431_1703803256_n.jpg

Thanks Ruthless for keeping up with the HM Crota shenanigans.
Here is a nice little reminder of our adventure, although it is in shitty quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slXQwptc2dw

Fuck that scrota, seriously.

I was invisible on both our screens, that was not due to lag. It's just scrota being scrota and bungie has not fixed his wakeup attack like they said they did.

Here's the video from my side:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaLSmtWOJDE&feature=youtu.be

phen0m24

Signed up as well.

Rymuth you'll do awesome. My son was 10 the first
two
raids he did with Hawkian. :)

10 years old and has done VoG normal (Hard with Drizzy) and Crota too. You'll do great.

phen0m24

Good luck! Don't get greedy. ;)

There's an enemy in Ailing Loran that scared the shit out of me. Actual horror film bullshit. Watch your ass.

Well, this just ruins everything.

Oooh now you tell me ;P

I have already cleared a good part of layer 1. Up to the room with like 8 of the green guys from Old Yarnham. Not looking forward to that hehe

GobFather

Signed up as well.

You will do fine! Some parts can be a little complex but VOG especially is really fun. Advice: Stick close to your teammates especially when you are going from one area to the next, a lot of dark tunnels that goes up and down and down and down. lol

Tell us how your first raid went! :)

Fuck that scrota, seriously.

I was invisible on both our screens, that was not due to lag. It's just scrota being scrota and bungie has not fixed his wakeup attack like they said they did.

Here's the video from my side:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaLSmtWOJDE&feature=youtu.be

Yup you we're clearly invisible like in most of the other wipes. Luckily it went a little bit better after we switched hosts.
From my point of view it looks like he just kicked you up in the air. I think I captured some narrow escapes as well.

LTWood12

lolwut?

You're telling me you DON'T wanna cosplay as the "Space Egyptians" from the OG Stargate movie?

I haven't thought of that movie in years. I loved it so much.

If the data-mined loot is indeed the PoE armor, The Titan helmet looks absolutely terrible and reminds me of Donny Darko. Hunter one looks rad though. Warlock one is whatev.

Rymuth

You will do fine! Some parts can be a little complex but VOG especially is really fun. Advice: Stick close to your teammates especially when you are going from one area to the next, a lot of dark tunnels that goes up and down and down and down. lol

Tell us how your first raid went! :)

Rymuth you'll do awesome. My son was 10 the first
two
raids he did with Hawkian. :)

10 years old and has done VoG normal (Hard with Drizzy) and Crota too. You'll do great.

Thanks. That helped a lot. :D

GhaleonEB

When referring to the Templar's Well, are you talking about defending the confluxes? That's the absolute worst part of the raid IMO.
I was referencing more the cadence than the specifics: defend one conflux, then two, then three. The gradual escalation at Oracles, the peaking with the boss fight. That kind of loop but with greater variety and more dynamic elements is what I'm looking for.

Destiny can't really offer that type of variety. When I think of horde, I think of Gears, where it started and where I played it. I don't even really like it there, but it was the type of game that offered what you're describing. Gears could throw a Corpser or a Berserker at you to totally throw you off and you'd get a Captain with a ton of health in this game.
I think the best hope for PoE is that we get sandwiched into some interesting cross battles. I interpreted the teaser screenshot as a hint of such: a high level servitor coming out a gate that is infested with Hive spores. One of my favorite parts of any strike is the Devil's Lair, when Hive and Fallen pour out and have this big fight with is in the middle (or rather, hunkering down on the sides). If they bring those kind of elements together - say you're in the middle of a Fallen fight and the Hive break in unexpectedly - then I do think it can offer that kind of variety. Otherwise, I agree that waves of one faction at a time would not offer as much variety as they could.

Kukawaki

I came into this Iron Banner annoyed that I had to grind for the helmet. Boy, what a difference a week makes.

Started off with my Hunter(32) and got mercilessly owned left and right for most of last week. I persevered, messed around with my build and play style (MIDA FTW!) and got to rank 5.

Just for kicks I played with my Titan(29) today and went 1:0 in a match. Call it Stockholm syndrome but I will miss IB until the next one.

Hope ToO hooks me as much :)

It's nowhere close. Granted this isn't in game, but it doesn't look as nice as the Trials gear.

10894910_1517548905175431_1703803256_n.jpg

Isn't this from the leak? The same leak that had the warlock exotic helm that was a copy of Obsidian Mind before it was revealed it was just a placeholder?

YEA, I DOUBT YOUR LEAK INFO.

Atone13

Thanks for that! Registered.

Signed up as well.

Excellent! One thing though, I'm not overly familiar with google docs or how that signup works, but the event that's posted was from yesterday, so you may have signed up for that... I would suggest keeping an eye on that page over the next couple days and wait for this weeks to get posted and then sign up. It seems that Thursday night is often the night he runs it, so you can probably expect in the next day or so for the event to be updated.

phen0m24

So, you've already seen it then? I thought I was going to die irl.

Mhm. Definitely wasn't the drinking.

I don't know I guess? I fight the wolves, the zombie guys, the spiders and the bell maiden. then the guy? with the yelling come straight at me thing (yikes) which was annoying.

You mean there's more scary stuff than what we've seen already? Shudder

I don't know I guess? I fight the wolves, the zombie guys, the spiders and the bell maiden. then the guy? with the yelling come straight at me thing (yikes) which was annoying.

You mean there's more scary stuff than what we've seen already? Shudder

Nah, it was the yikes guy. Fucked me up.

There is more though. Makes you wish for something relaxing to play like Destiny. :p

Isn't this from the leak? The same leak that had the warlock exotic helm that was a copy of Obsidian Mind before it was revealed it was just a placeholder?

YEA, I DOUBT YOUR LEAK INFO.

They're also in the pictures Bungie released.

nB1ux44s.jpg
EYC0pqGs.jpg
6aBSX0ws.jpg

I think the Titan and Hunter stuff looks cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom