• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT20| HoW Comes, No Raid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unstable

I don't understand the outrage here. Like what were you guys expecting? We all knew this was going to be horde mode, right?

I think I've come to the realization that my expectations with Bungie is zero. No, you know what? It's less then zero. Literally any content is impressive to me at this point. I'm just that jaded.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
As annoying as Broman has been on stream - he still has 2.5X as many kills as the other 2. He was at 250+ and they were each around 100.
silver linings and shit

i don't think anyone in the stream understands how to control a mob, orb management, or how to prioritize targets.... they're making this look bad. i imagine this is how it will look with nothing but randoms

I think this mode looks amazingly fun. So much time is wasted during Strikes running through levels that are designed for a variety of purposes (strikes, story missions, patrol). I really get sick of running through tunnels to get to the Nexus or the Flayers.

This mode is all action, all the time. And you know what my favorite part of FPS's is? Firing my gun. I can't wait.

GutZ31

I can't believe this is what replaced the raid. :/

The problem with this being the new activity is that they will see a huge amount of data showing people playing this more than the raids, without taking into account that the gear from the Arena is the only reason for the surge.
Everyone that has raid gear will push for the gear from the Arena, and everyone that has never done a raid before with be doing these.

Its nice for newer players, and people without raid groups, but it feels pretty alienating to the raiders in my opinion.

kidko

I wish there was an outdoors arena, or space/asteroid arena but other than that I'm pretty excited for this. Will want a decent team.

New page, new info
New page-
I guess I'll crosspost it here too-
New info list-
  • New Pistol That goes in Special Slot
  • Around 20ish Modifiers
  • Will be able to enter it by yourself/2 man the arena
  • Rotating 'Arena Hard Modes'
  • Match Made Arena
  • All Hard modes of arena award etheric light/cores
  • Objectives during the round
  • For completing Objectives you get 'rewards' to help you in the arena(Either the new Burning Spear Launcher or ammo
  • Checkpoints restart you from the beginning of a round
  • Broman was waaaay too loud.
  • The new Spear Launcher has a secondary where if you hold down the trigger button, the spear detonates for extra damage
  • Legendary Pistol in secondary slot(possibly other weapons going in different slots?
  • Broman can be REALLY loud and annoying.
  • 4 "Arenas" for each of the races.
    Modifiers include-
  • Primary Weapon damage increase
  • Supers charge slow
  • Increased shield but shield recharge is down
  • Burn Modifiers(Arc/Void/Burn).

stb

Wouldn't the bolded essentially be the same as removing checkpoints?

And I think it's good that there's no checkpoints. personally I like doing raids fresh~

And their teamwork is nonexistant. It's lasting long now, but it's because they suck working with each other. And broman is just killing the mood

I think he's suggesting that you can have CPs, but you dont get the rewards until you do ALL the CPs. E.g. you join a team at the last CP, and finish. They get rewards, you dont. You start over and get rewards when you finish CP4.

This would make tons of sense. Ergo, they won't do it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
My early impressions are that this will be fun and incredibly addictive. An additional endless playlist (as an alternative to Strikes) alone is a more ambitious implementation than I expected of Arena as a gametype versus a piece of content.

I will also go out on a limb and mention that while I absolutely loathe the artificial difficulty imposed by forced underleveling, I predict it to be less of a big deal here than it would be in a Hard Mode raid. We'll see.

willow ve

What happens if one player leaves? Can someone else join?

Either way could be horrible.

A) Player leaves, you're down to 2 men, shit out of luck.
- lag
- disconnect
- booted for AFK
- destiny problems

B) Playing with randoms via LFG, get to the last wave, you're booted so their friend can get the loot.
- less concerned about this actually
- this happened a few times to people in raids (but generally people in LFG sites are actually there to complete missions - not just troll)

Dave_6

Yep it's a horde mode with objectives. I knew it wasn't going to be a raid so I really didn't have any expectations. I will NOT be playing this with randoms though.

If going to orbit causes you to lose all progress, there is going to be some serious rage freakouts when a disconnect animal wipes 50+ mins of effort with no reward.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
This looks fun. I see a lot of unfamiliar names saying it looks bad so I'm not worried. They are terrible though, but I'm used to that since that's how the Halo reveals were too (bad players showing off the game poorly).

I think he's suggesting that you can have CPs, but you dont get the rewards until you do ALL the CPs. E.g. you join a team at the last CP, and finish. They get rewards, you dont. You start over and get rewards when you finish CP4.

This would make tons of sense. Ergo, they won't do it.

But that'd be making it harder than it really is, and well incredibly save scummy. Like having to keep track of which characters/people have which checkpoints, then constantly switching characters....

...Yeah it's better that they disabled checkpoints.

someday

Banned
I don't think this looks terrible (except for simply watching this particular group running it). I can see doing this occasionally when I want to level up gear. But, I would still prefer for them to add a new level of difficulty to VoG and increase the rewards there too.

I just don't mind this as an "extra" activity since I haven't touched the Strike playlist in months. It sort of replaces that for me and actually has something for me to gain by doing it unlike Roc strikes.

Deku Tree

What happens if one player leaves? Can someone else join?

Either way could be horrible.

A) Player leaves, you're down to 2 men, shit out of luck.
- lag
- disconnect
- booted for AFK
- destiny problems

B) Playing with randoms via LFG, get to the last wave, you're booted so their friend can get the loot.
- less concerned about this actually
- this happened a few times to people in raids (but generally people in LFG sites are actually there to complete missions - not just troll)

That feel when your whole fireteam inevitably sometime get booted to orbit because of a Destiny error or some internet thing in the middle of round five at level 35 after hours of play time... Start over!

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
These objectives were made for a bladedancer and bubble titan lol. This should be a breeze with arcburn too. wtf
My early impressions are that this will be fun and incredibly addictive. An additional endless playlist (as an alternative to Strikes) alone is a more ambitious implementation than I expected of Arena as a gametype versus a piece of content.

I will also go out on a limb and mention that while I absolutely loathe the artificial difficulty imposed by forced underleveling, I predict it to be less of a big deal here than it would be in a Hard Mode raid. We'll see.

I think this mode looks amazingly fun. So much time is wasted during Strikes running through levels that are designed for a variety of purposes (strikes, story missions, patrol). I really get sick of running through tunnels to get to the Nexus or the Flayers.

This mode is all action, all the time. And you know what my favorite part of FPS's is? Firing my gun. I can't wait.

I'm with you guys. I never liked Raids all that much to begin with - spent more time in Roc playlist than anything else. If it wasn't for the loot, I'd probably have 3 completions of both Raids total.

Unstable

If going to orbit causes you to lose all progress, there is going to be some serious rage freakouts when a disconnect animal wipes 50+ mins of effort with no reward.
I'm having flashbacks to the Vidmaster Endure achievement from ODST right now.

For those who don't know, that required like a 3 hour time investment, and if anyone disconnected you all went back to the menu and had to start over. Fun times.

Mengetsu

I don't understand the outrage here. Like what were you guys expecting? We all knew this was going to be horde mode, right?

I think I've come to the realization that my expectations with Bungie is zero. No, you know what? It's less then zero. Literally any content is impressive to me at this point. I'm just that jaded.
I really don't see a problem. Change is good as I get bored of doing the same raids every weekly reset. Now we have some new things to enjoy instead of finding the next big way to cheese out raid areas. I wish I played this game when the first DLC came out as playing Crota is so easy compared to VOG because of the heavy glitch and sword dancing across the sky at the bridge.

I understand people have a high standard for Bungie as a developer but I feel like they had more freedom at MS. And this is just the first year for this game we got 9 more to go lol

stb

But that'd be making it harder than it really is, and well incredibly save scummy. Like having to keep track of which characters/people have which checkpoints, then constantly switching characters....

...Yeah it's better that they disabled checkpoints.

You'd still have to finish all the CPs to get rewards... I'm not seeing the problem here.

Plus, as someone above this mentioned, what happens when everyone gets an animal disconnect on the last round of the 5th thing?

Edit: Can you imagine if this is how raids worked? Lots and lots of people only play every week because they get the Gorgon/Atheon/DS checkpoints. Having to do the FULL raids 3x every week would decimate the week-to-week player base.

Impala26

This is really my only issue with PoE as shown.

Don't know why you folks are getting so salty... I mean, what were you expecting exactly?

The bitching about checkpoints in making me laugh too... both forms of Halo Firefight had NOTHING like checkpoints.

Would rather play this than a "new" raid that'd be basically Scrota 2.0.

willow ve

Three moderately competent players would make this look a lot more fun.

I would take 3 matchmade randoms over these 3. In fact, that would be a much better setup for these reveal videos.

Let 3 community members play while the Dev team does narration / voiceover of what's going on.

Much more entertaining (and would be hilarious when the 3 randoms inevitably find an exploit or cheese right off the bat and the Dev team just sits there speechless).

I'm having flashbacks to the Vidmaster Endure achievement from ODST right now.

I know that feel, got disconnected in the last round after two hours and a half of playing.

They will go through all these rounds and get 1 etheric light.

Or a NLB.

Yep, this right here is a showstopper. Shit like that is why I stopped playing Warframe.

Do Survival/Defense for 39 minutes/waves, get disconnected and no loot, no XP, just sadness.

Fuck. That. Noise.

Already fixed, you can rejoin

Bladelaw

Yep, this right here is a showstopper. Shit like that is why I stopped playing Warframe.

Do Survival/Defense for 39 minutes/waves, get disconnected and no loot, no XP, just sadness.

Fuck. That. Noise.

I think it looks pretty fun, and could really be a blast with friends. The only thing I would want changed is at least a checkpoint between rounds. But with that, you're just gonna get someone who gets the checkpoint before the last round and invites everyone to come join for free rewards. I kind of liked the idea a Gaffer had: In order to get rewards, you have to complete all checkpoints. That way you can't have people joining in on the last round and getting good loot for the least amount of work.

Guys, it's fine. In a couple of months when they've gathered enough feedback they'll change a lot of things. I have a strong feeling the checkpoint system will be changed, and the rewards system. Someone already mentioned this but people are just going to farm the last checkpoint so you can get the rewards faster, instead of having to do the entire thing.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom