• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT20| HoW Comes, No Raid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope HoW doesn't continue the tradition of adding new random currencies to replace old ones or start new economies. All it does is further the notion the game has terrible design and little forsight for longterm progression.

If they are worried about currency inflation, they need to add more meaningful sinks. Let us spend coins, motes, Ass mats and Commendations on other things. Have a currency trading system and add some gambling sinks.

How about Legendary re-rolls at the Gunsmith.

there wont be new currencies. our inventories don't even have any space left.

I just hope I can access all of the new vendors in the Reef. Being locked out of 4 of the 5 vendors in the Tower because I don't play Crucible really sucks.

I wish they made a way to convert Vanguard Marks to Crucible and vice versa. I mean, there are some people that will only play one over the other, and they have NO WAY of getting gear from PvE or PvP(Despite no gear being meant to be used in one mode over the other, like WoW with it's PvP specific gear).

Ghazi

His reddit account.

4e29cce9b2.png
It's probably just an attention seeking thing. Doubt it's real, won't believe it until we get proof.

Namikaze1

I just hope I can access all of the new vendors in the Reef. Being locked out of 4 of the 5 weapon vendors in the Tower because I don't play Crucible really sucks.
There's probably gonna be a vendor for all the Osiris stuff unless Bungie goes the RNG route for everything Osiris.

I just hope I can access all of the new vendors in the Reef. Being locked out of 4 of the 5 weapon vendors in the Tower because I don't play Crucible really sucks.

'hear 'hear. I actually have 77 crucible marks stored up, might increase that number a bit so I can buy a helmet once the DLC drops.

Deku Tree

post info without proof
complain about how stressful it is to get proof
threatening to leave

seems legit

Only thing is that Spider correctly predicted Xur would sell TLW.
Could have been luck...
...some of the latest predictions sound ridiculous TBH.

patchday

To make a long rant short- I still feel like the bounty system could use a tad bit more work. In Diablo 3, you have so many daily bounties to do a casual dude like myself could never do'em

But in Destiny- I can burn through these Crucible bounties in a few trips to the arenas. Granted, I always skip the obvious shitty ones like (Kill 20 players riding a vehicle)

I wish they'd stop trying to be in such firm control of player progression and just let the players have fun. Shower us with lots of daily bounties. Everytime I try to play this game I still feel confined and restricted like a bloody rat trapped on a hamster wheel.

Hopefully with Destiny 2 they get rid of their "Behavior scientist" and stop trying to control the player experience. Instead, encourage us to play the game til we pass out.

I think Bloodborne just ruined me towards this game too I guess. Bloodborne encourages me to play more and more. There's no silly weekly lockouts or daily bounties. It's just pure fun (well~ a crap ton of pain with the bosses but anyways).

(I ran out of bounties saturday is the reason for this rant. Pissed me off.)

vctor182

So I was bored leveling up my Titan in PvE and decided to try Crucible even with his crappy lvl 10 gear and this happened:

Ld69TgB.jpg

I never thought I would do so well, It looks like it's much easier to level up doing PvP but I still need to clear the whole PvE to unlock the strikes and missions right?

E92 M3

To make a long rant short- I still feel like the bounty system could use a tad bit more work. In Diablo 3, you have so many daily bounties to do a casual dude like myself could never do'em

But in Destiny- I can burn through these Crucible bounties in a few trips to the arenas. Granted, I always skip the obvious shitty ones like (Kill 20 players riding a vehicle)

I wish they'd stop trying to be in such firm control of player progression and just let the players have fun. Shower us with lots of daily bounties. Everytime I try to play this game I still feel confined and restricted like a bloody rat trapped on a hamster wheel.

Hopefully with Destiny 2 they get rid of their "Behavior scientist" and stop trying to control the player experience. Instead, encourage us to play the game til we pass out.

I think Bloodborne just ruined me towards this game too I guess. Bloodborne encourages me to play more and more. There's no silly weekly lockouts or daily bounties. It's just pure fun (well~ a crap ton of pain with the bosses but anyways).

Yes, I've been saying that for months. I also agree about Bloodborne. I play Destiny to fulfill my duties (funny in its own right), but Bloodborne is where the real fun is had. The game makes you feel powerful, but can still get 2-shotted by a normal enemy. With Destiny, 85% of the weapons feel like a waste.

We'll see how the DLC turns out; I am hopeful.

phen0m24

Yup. That was me yesterday and last night. I got to upper cathedral ward and even though I died in horribly inconvenient places I went back for more. Then I wanted to go grab a weapon I didn't have. Then another item. Now I'm looking for sedatives. I don't even like horror-y games but I'm playing BB.I don't like scary games either. What is wrong with me

GhaleonEB

I wish they made a way to convert Vanguard Marks to Crucible and vice versa. I mean, there are some people that will only play one over the other, and they have NO WAY of getting gear from PvE or PvP(Despite no gear being meant to be used in one mode over the other, like WoW with it's PvP specific gear).

That would be nice. I also liked the idea of the three factions allowing purchases with either currency (FWC, etc.). It actually doesn't bother me to have some PvP specific gear from just the Crucible quartermaster, even if it's useful across modes, so long as it's not too heavily tilted in quantity. I think of Crucible as being a small part of Destiny but a huge swath of the gear is locked behind it in the Tower; it just feels out of proportion.

Manp

omg! just soloed Crota's End on normal! i know it's nothing special nowadays but i feel fucking badass anyway lol!! :D :D

Karl2177

Bungie used the Commendation system in Halo: Reach to reward players for playing in their own playstyle. This played along side the daily Challenge system, which rewarded players for performing a specific action that Bungie decided. Destiny reflects Challenges with the bounty system, but doesn't have a parallel for the Commendations*. I wonder if Bungie saw that players weren't going for Commendations, but were going for Challenges in Reach, and just decided to scrap the Commendations for Destiny. It would be a flawed response, as rewards for Commendations were incredibly poor. "1000 cR for 2500 automatic weapon kills in Matchmaking" versus "4000 cR for getting 10 headshots in one Matchmaking game" is a no brainer.

*You could argue that the Grimoire progress was similar to Commendations, but there wasn't much of a reward to the Grimoire, especially after the material requisitions patch.

That would be nice. I also liked the idea of the three factions allowing purchases with either currency (FWC, etc.). It actually doesn't bother me to have some PvP specific gear from just the Crucible quartermaster, even if it's useful across modes, so long as it's not too heavily tilted in quantity. I think of Crucible as being a small part of Destiny but a huge swath of the gear is locked behind it in the Tower; it just feels out of proportion.

Yeah, bringing up the factions you're correct they just have *more* gear available to them. I mean I guess they thought it'd be an offset to the fact that Cruicble players have 'less' of a chance of getting gear than someone running playlist strikes and raiding? So they have a bigger offering? Which wouldn't make sense because of the mark limit for PvP. It's an oddity I hope they fix.

patchday

Yes, I've been saying that for months. I also agree about Bloodborne. I play Destiny to fulfill my duties (funny in its own right), but Bloodborne is where the real fun is had. The game makes you feel powerful, but can still get 2-shotted by a normal enemy. With Destiny, 85% of the weapons feel like a waste.

We'll see how the DLC turns out; I am hopeful.

I love the weapon variety but I know what you mean and still agree. Since the enemies scale with you- you never truly feel uber.

Yup. That was me yesterday and last night. I got to upper cathedral ward and even though I died in horribly inconvenient places I went back for more. Then I wanted to go grab a weapon I didn't have. Then another item. Now I'm looking for sedatives. I don't even like horror-y games but I'm playing BB.I don't like scary games either. What is wrong with me

Same here! I avoid horror games like the plague but cant get enough of BB. I've beaten the story but now its time for NG+, Chalice dungeons, and more coop/pvp.

omg! just soloed Crota's End on normal! i know it's nothing special nowadays but i feel fucking badass anyway lol!! :D :D

That's awesome! Still impressive!

Bungie used the Commendation system in Halo: Reach to reward players for playing in their own playstyle. This played along side the daily Challenge system, which rewarded players for performing a specific action that Bungie decided. Destiny reflects Challenges with the bounty system, but doesn't have a parallel for the Commendations*. I wonder if Bungie saw that players weren't going for Commendations, but were going for Challenges in Reach, and just decided to scrap the Commendations for Destiny. It would be a flawed response, as rewards for Commendations were incredibly poor. "1000 cR for 2500 automatic weapon kills in Matchmaking" versus "4000 cR for getting 10 headshots in one Matchmaking game" is a no brainer.

*You could argue that the Grimoire progress was similar to Commendations, but there wasn't much of a reward to the Grimoire, especially after the material requisitions patch.

Weird thing is I loved the daily challenge in Halo. I need to go back and compare that to bounties. I guess in Halo I never really cared bout xp since it just unlocked cool looking visual upgrades (like fancy helmets) but didn't alter gameplay. But here in Destiny- I just got these fancy Ruin Wings for my Titan. I want to quickly level them up with bounties and ran out. Sure- I do just happen to have a second titan. But I'm trying to delete the spare. So don't want to rely on having a 'duplicate' class anymore.

-griffy-

Banned

Yup, can't figure out why the other vendors don't also accept Vanguard marks. Other than the factions being an abandoned PVP concept.

As much as I like the ease of buying mats at the tower, I think having the Grimoire cards make a substantial difference would have been more fun. Instead of having a Rank 3 card give you the chance at pulling a 2 mat node, it should have guaranteed 6+ mats. Rank 0 should have been 1-2, Rank 2, 2-4, and Rank 3, 4-6.

I think a long term system like Grimoire would be much better served if the rewards like extra XP/Glimmer/Mats were more apparent when progressing through the levels.

E92 M3

I was just thinking, if Bungie was Epic, they would have patched out the shotguns from Gears to be only a support weapon. Yes, Epic did not want the shotguns to be so prominent in the beginning but they went with the flow. Bungie would have just nerfed until nobody uses them.

Epic noticed how the game was played and went with the community while still adding their own touches, but Bungie always does how they want without thinking what the community wants. The prime example was the much unneeded nerf to ARs recently. Now the weapon class is nearly nonexistent. All they did was switch ARs and Pulse Rifles around.

It just comes down to where Bungie doesn't like when we have "unauthorized fun." I really hope that mentality changes completely for the next big expansion. We'll how much grinding they cut out of HoW.

Karl2177

As much as I like the ease of buying mats at the tower, I think having the Grimoire cards make a substantial difference would have been more fun. Instead of having a Rank 3 card give you the chance at pulling a 2 mat node, it should have guaranteed 6+ mats. Rank 0 should have been 1-2, Rank 2, 2-4, and Rank 3, 4-6.

I think a long term system like Grimoire would be much better served if the rewards like extra XP/Glimmer/Mats were more apparent when progressing through the levels.
I agree. Anything that Bungie can do to get people going through the core game loops is a good thing.

Impala26

I was just thinking, if Bungie was Epic, they would have patched out the shotguns from Gears to be only a support weapon. Yes, Epic did not want the shotguns to be so prominent in the beginning but they went with the flow. Bungie would have just nerfed until nobody uses them.

Epic noticed how the game was played and went with the community while still adding their own touches, but Bungie always does how they want without thinking what the community wants. The prime example was the much unneeded nerf to ARs recently. Now the weapon class is nearly nonexistent. All they did was switch ARs and Pulse Rifles around.

It just comes down to where Bungie doesn't like when we have "unauthorized fun." I really hope that mentality changes completely for the next big expansion. We'll how much grinding they cut out of HoW.

Hahahahahaha....ahhh...hahahaha

Laughing aside, I'm not in need right now of a reminder why I pretty much stopped supporting Bungie not long after Destiny came out--because of their general relationship and interactions with the Halo community.

But now if you would excuse me... *goes back to reading about Destiny*

Anyone have the gorgon cp?

Wouldn't mind grabbing the shards x3 before reset.

Thanks Darknyss for the 15 shards and shattered vault cloak, Lol.

You can't play the game they made for you to play how they want it if you don't play how they want you to. Obviously.

E92 M3

I get not wanting to PVP. The Crucible is pretty awful. I'm not sure why I play it. I don't really understand where all these complaints about being locked out of gear come from though? Maybe I'm missing something, so correct me if I'm wrong here, but the only pvp you HAVE to do to get every vendor unlocked is just enough get to crucible rank 3, right? You can get faction rep and eventually crucible commendations just by wearing the faction class items while doing normal PVE, right?

Edit: Right, marks. But still, just grinding out the rep with PVE and then only PVPing for enough marks for the few things you'll want from the vendors isn't that terrible. But yeah, no one should be forced to do it.

Impala26

I get not wanting to PVP. The Crucible is pretty awful. I'm not sure why I play it. I don't really understand where all these complaints about being locked out of gear come from though? Maybe I'm missing something, so correct me if I'm wrong here, but the only pvp you HAVE to do to get every vendor unlocked is just enough get to crucible rank 3, right? You can get faction rep and eventually crucible commendations just by wearing the faction class items while doing normal PVE, right?

You can get Crucible Commendations by ranking up faction reputation to rank 3 and each rank beyond and you're right that you could technically do that by solely doing Vanguard bounties, weeklies, strikes and patrols with the factions class item.

However, the only CURRENCY the faction vendors take is Crucible Marks, which can only be earned by playing matches in the Crucible (2 for loss, 3 for win). Given that, even if you suck playing Crucible and consistently finish with <0.5 K/D, it doesn't take too terribly long to earn those marks or even the bounties for that matter.

I get the knocks on Crucible, but I actually think the latest update notably improved the situation there. That said there are things like overall map design that can't really be tweaked with a patch.

hydruxo

It has been raining exotics at an almost frightening rate. A Legendary engram turned into yet another truth. In nearly(if not) back-to-back Roc strikes I got another 4th Horseman and Monte Carlo. Also got the last ship I wanted.

Best ships.
1.) Scorpio Miracle
2.) Atlanta's Hunt
The Real #1: Fermi Solution

I fully expect it not to matter because I'm ready this time around.
My alts don't have Crucible 3 and probably never will. I level Dead Orbit on all of my characters to get more ships so that won't be ready. However every other faction will be within 100 points of rolling over and I should have 200/150+ marks on all of my characters when the new expansion hits. I also have 18 Public Event packages waiting to be opened on each character.

I've been using this one since I got it a few months back in a Roc Strike:

maxresdefault.jpg

The faction ships are pretty awesome but it took me 6 months of ranking up Dead Orbit before I got my first shader so I'm not really up for trying to get one of the ships haha.

There are 5 faction vendors. Sure, you can use Vanguard rep to rank 4 of them. But Vanguard Marks are only usable at 1 vendor. 4 factions only take crucible marks. So, despite ranking them easily, you must play Crucible to buy anything there.

Edit: beat

so after joining Nami's Path of the Hawk clan I was able to buy the Hawk emblem and the hawk hunter cloak from the speaker. its no longer a clan. its a cult!

I've received quite a few faction/Crucible weapons as Vanguard drops, so at least there's that.

• Red Hand IX
  • Venation III
  • The Calling
  • Broken Truth-LR1 (x2)
  • Prestige IV
  • TFWPKY 1969
  • Valedictorian 9-44

Haven't touched PvP in a long time, and I never got a weapon drop from playing it.

Deku Tree

I've stopped doing HM Crota.
I did VoG last week and CE NM 3x.

In the few weeks before that I didn't raid much at all.
I have all the Crota loot. And I have three of each Crota legendary weapon.

I'm just doing NF and Weeklies 3x for fun these days. And I played some PvP recently. It was fun.

HM Crota is too glitchy. Not as much fun as the others.

I have never ranksed up a faction. Ill think ill start ranking up one each on each character.

You can get Crucible Commendations by ranking up faction reputation to rank 3 and each rank beyond and you're right that you could technically do that by solely doing Vanguard bounties, weeklies, strikes and patrols with the factions class item.

However, the only CURRENCY the faction vendors take is Crucible Marks, which can only be earned by playing matches in the Crucible (2 for loss, 3 for win). Given that, even if you suck playing Crucible and consistently finish with <0.5 K/D, it doesn't take too terribly long to earn those marks or even the bounties for that matter.

I get the knocks on Crucible, but I actually think the latest update notably improved the situation there. That said there are things like overall map design that can't really be tweaked with a patch.

What? At 165 Marks for a weapon, and an average of 2.5 Marks per match, that's 66 matches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom