• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT20| HoW Comes, No Raid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nOoblet16

Two To The Morgue, also very good. Lacks Shot Package, so if this is for Crucible use I recommend Secret Handshake.

That reminds me, I don't know if I've ever mentioned in here a strategy that was shown to me once but is incredibly potent.

As soon as the encounter starts, the swordbearer instead of going to the ledge goes and crouches on the chalice platform. It is of course particularly easy to get into position as a Bladedancer with stealth. Then, when the swordbearer comes out of the door, stick him with a grenade and shoot him over and over in the face with a strong shotgun until dead (ledge people should still help as much as possible of course). Watch for cursed thralls, grab the sword and go up as normal.

The swordbearer's behavior is much more easily manipulated on the second and third sword round, and can even be reliably lured to run under the ledge/central area by shooting at him, even through the glass (and not attacking any mobs on the left or right). Eliminating his behavior as a variable on the first sword can go a long way toward making the encounter more consistent all around.

It works very well; the strong shotgun (something with either massive range or the ability to do ludicrously fast damage up close) is key.

I was curious, since a lot of people like to stay on the left side of ledge after first sword instead of going in. Why not just kill the swordbearer as soon as he comes out? The timer on sword doesn't starts until you pick up the sword now instead of as soon as he dies.

Lnkn52

It's not that, exactly, lol.

Back to baseline. Today is a textbook back to baseline day. Hilarious actually; the first stream was a high, the second stream was a low. I'll always take the opportunity to remind people that it will always be this way too. There won't be some point at which everything is fixed, there's nothing you want to see changed and the game can continue forever with a healthy population; even after the release of Destiny 2, even if the framework of the game's design gets an overhaul in terms of conveyance and reward schedule, even if the story is much improved in comparison (all of which I'd bank on), during its entire post-release content and support phase there will be highs and lows, and bugs, and all the shit that goes into an undertaking like this.

For me a day like this means play a lot and comment a little. Looking to do HM Oracle CP if anyone happens to have that or a Nightfall.

I'm down to do either of those.

The problem I had with today's stream was not the content but the way it was presented.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
NF Up public party.
I was curious, since a lot of people like to stay on the left side of ledge after first sword instead of going in. Why not just kill the swordbearer as soon as he comes out? The timer on sword doesn't starts until you pick up the sword now instead of as soon as he dies.
You had plenty of time to do this even before the patch that altered the sword duration. It's a little bit risky, Crota can easily kill you on the way in (if not stealthed) and if you can't take him down rather fast alone, you'll have to hop and shoot rockets, etc. But it works.
it's a good gesture but it was ultimately disorganized.

if bungie wants to repair goodwill, they can start by being coherent, concise and consistent.

I'm down to do either of those.

The problem I had with today's stream was not the content but the way it was presented.
To experience a kind of communications and presentation revamp like you guys are talking about Bungie needs to taste failure on a scale they haven't yet.

Lnkn52

NF Up public party.

You had plenty of time to do this even before the patch that altered the sword duration. It's a little bit risky, Crota can easily kill you on the way in (if not stealthed) and if you can't take him down rather fast alone, you'll have to hop and shoot rockets, etc. But it works.

To experience a kind of

I felt that Broman wasn't the right person for this reveal. I've watched Broman's stream and he's really not the greatest player. Combined that with Deej, they really should have picked the level 33 mode. Bungie knew that Triple Wreck is one of the best PvP players in the streaming community; so they chose him to reveal Trials of Osiris (obvious choice), not sure if they thought Broman was picked to target casual players with less skills.

RetroMG

Yeah, I've said it a bunch of times today: I'm incredibly excited about the Prison of Elders. But it's despite the stream, not because of it. I was annoyed at the idea of a horde mode, but this brings it closer to the Mass Effect 3 multiplayer, which I thought was a blast.

nOoblet16

NF Up public party.

To experience a kind of
Way in where though? I am talking about just taking the swordbearer down and waiting for Crota to go to the middle. This is from the left side of the ledge where you hide from Crota after he moves to the right after first sword. You can still see the swordbearer pretty clearly from there if he is to the right.

Three or even two people sniping, shooting rockets should do the trick if he is in sight, if not while Crota is waiting to the left then as soon as he moves because if you go in then it takes a bit of time for everyone to set up then find the bugger and shoot so any delay there means you don't get two downs. Atleast this way you can be assured that a delay still means you can get two downs on that sword.

The delay on killing the second swordbearer is one of the most frequent reasons that lead to a run failing imo.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Way in where though? I am talking about the left side of the ledge where you hide from Crota after he moves to the right after first sword. You can still see the swordbearer pretty clearly from there if he is to the right.

Three or even two people sniping, shooting rockets should do the trick if he is in sight, if not while Crota is waiting to the left then as soon as he moves because if you go in then it takes a bit of time for everyone to set up then find the bugger and shoot so any delay there means you don't get two downs. Atleast this way you can be assured that a delay still means you can get two downs on that sword.
I see what you mean. the sword has some duration on the ground though i believe.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I see what you mean. the sword has some duration on the ground though i believe.

Hey Hawkian! Can I put my name in the ring for a Crota's End newbie raid please?

---

Can't believe I'm back on the destiny addiction! I'm not sure what it is - I'm still ticked off about the way the level cap was raised (not that it raised, but that I'd need to re grind all of my exotics and that my legendaries were now not so legendary) and I know repetition and grind seems to be the core of the game, but it's just so fun to play.

I'm trying to get my Titan to a reasonable level and stock up on marks ready for the next DLC.

nOoblet16

Are you sure though? Because that was how it was before and they explicitly mentioned it in a patch that the timer on sword does not start until it gets picked up.
Edit: And if there is a timer then I wonder how long it is cause if it is something like 20-30 seconds then it can be managed as we can start shooting him when Crota has about 20-30 seconds remaining before moving so that the sword's right there and available when he goes centre.

Arrrammis

Fresh VOG HM PS4
1. Arrrammis
2. Retrogamer42
3. Tick221
4. Lnkn52
5. Tick's friend
6. Thing on the floor

Looks like we're all full! I'll be in orbit, join whenever you're ready.

Way in where though? I am talking about just taking the swordbearer down and waiting for Crota to go to the middle. This is from the left side of the ledge where you hide from Crota after he moves to the right after first sword. You can still see the swordbearer pretty clearly from there if he is to the right.

The delay on killing the second swordbearer is one of the most frequent reasons that lead to a run failing imo.

People that stay on the ledge don't kill the swordbearer because they don't realize that Bungie changed the way the sword works. Before the recent patch the sword was active for 45 seconds total after killing the swordbearer and once picked up it would disappear after 30 seconds. Now the sword is active for 30 seconds after it is picked up no matter how long it sits on the ground, so the sword can stay on the ground while Crota rotates.

Basically, people need to get good.

HigXx

Just wait til it's Omnigul and the new strike as the Nightfall and Weekly

You know this is gonna happen in the first week

nOoblet16

People that stay on the ledge don't kill the swordbearer because they don't realize that Bungie changed the way the sword works. Before the recent patch the sword was active for 45 seconds total after killing the swordbearer and once picked up it would disappear after 30 seconds. Now the sword is active for 30 seconds after it is picked up no matter how long it sits on the ground, so the sword can stay on the ground while Crota rotates.

Was it 30 seconds once you pick it up before the patch too? Because the wording in the patch notes "Swords will now last a full 30 seconds once picked up" made it sound like it wouldn't last a full 30 seconds before patch.

Because in that case it doesn't really change much or anything at all as Crota takes 1 minute to move and we could (before the patch) have started shooting the swordbearer from the ledge as early as 45 seconds before Crota moved centre.

gdt

Prison of Elders looks great, but it does not give me what I'm looking for with a raid. Hopefully we get a raid this summer to tide us over until Comet.

I'll be on tomorrow after work I think to run Nightfalls....time to dig back in :D

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Are you sure though? Because that was how it was before and they explicitly mentioned it in a patch that the timer on sword does not start until it gets picked up.
Edit: And if there is a timer then I wonder how long it is cause if it is something like 20-30 seconds then it can be managed as we can start shooting him when Crota has about 20-30 seconds remaining before moving so that the sword's right there and available when he goes centre.

The timer does begin for 30 seconds at the exact moment you pick it up. However, there is some duration it can stay on the ground before disappearing, I just have no idea how long it is. You can certainly kill the swordbearer as soon as he comes out as long as it doesn't end up sitting on the ground longer than your sword runner would take to get it if everything else is going to plan.

Deku Tree

BTW, has anyone seen any list of perks for the fallen PoE weapons?

Saw that earlier. This bit is interesting:

"Matt Sammons, the Lead Designer on House of Wolves, said the following: “We’ve heard the feedback from players about not being able to do the weekly activities, so two things we wanted to do were always have one of the activities available if you didn’t have one of the DLC’s. So you’ll never have where all of the missions are from the House of Wolves expansion. We also wanted to have more variety for all players so we’ve actually uncoupled the Nightfall and Heroic so those will be different every week now.”

So now we can get Omnigul as the weekly when the HoW strike is the NF!

Prison of Elders looks great, but it does not give me what I'm looking for with a raid. Hopefully we get a raid this summer to tide us over until Comet.

I'll be on tomorrow after work I think to run Nightfalls....time to dig back in :D

There is essentially no chance that Bungie and Activision are releasing a stand alone raid this summer. The next Destiny Content update after HoW is comet which is coming in the fall. I keep saying this because I don't want people to get their hopes up for something that has basically no chance of happening.

todd360

BTW, has anyone seen any list of perks for the fallen PoE weapons?

Saw that earlier. This bit is interesting:

"Matt Sammons, the Lead Designer on House of Wolves, said the following: “We’ve heard the feedback from players about not being able to do the weekly activities, so two things we wanted to do were always have one of the activities available if you didn’t have one of the DLC’s. So you’ll never have where all of the missions are from the House of Wolves expansion. We also wanted to have more variety for all players so we’ve actually uncoupled the Nightfall and Heroic so those will be different every week now.”

So now we can get Omnigul as the weekly when the HoW strike is the NF!

There is essentially no chance that Bungie and Activision are releasing a stand alone raid this summer. The next Destiny Content update after HoW is comet which is coming in the fall. I keep saying this because I don't want people to get their hopes up for something that has basically no chance of happening.

RJt3V8o.gif

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm so much more excited for PoE than any raid. I like the simple but difficult arena / horde style gameplay more than the complex puzzle design of raids. It's all about team work still, but in a less complicated way. I dunno, sounds more appealing to me. I'm stoked to work up to the Level 35 PoE and take down Skolas.

I'm so much more excited for PoE than any raid. I like the simple but difficult arena / horde style gameplay more than the complex puzzle design of raids. It's all about team work still, but in a less complicated way. I dunno, sounds more appealing to me. I'm stoked to work up to the Level 35 PoE and take down Skolas.

i liked it on paper too but the arenas looked really flat and dull to me.

CLBridges

Sooo guys if I get HoW and do have the other dlc will I still have all the pvp maps so far???

I'm guessing you meant to type "don't", but yeah, TDB pvp maps will be avail for all once HoW drops, so you'll have access to them all.

Edit: Just took a look at the new Fallen weapons, dat Fallenhorn though, I'm trademarking that lol.

M3Rocket

Was it 30 seconds once you pick it up before the patch too? Because the wording in the patch notes "Swords will now last a full 30 seconds once picked up" made it sound like it wouldn't last a full 30 seconds before patch.

Because in that case it doesn't really change much or anything at all as Crota takes 1 minute to move and we could (before the patch) have started shooting the swordbearer from the ledge as early as 45 seconds before Crota moved centre.

I don't think that was the case before the patch. Before the patch, the sword's 45-second timer started as soon as the swordbearer was killed. There wasn't a 30-second timer from when it was picked up. Bungie patched it to make sure the sword would last 30-seconds AFTER it's picked up for the first time.

The timer does begin for 30 seconds at the exact moment you pick it up. However, there is some duration it can stay on the ground before disappearing, I just have no idea how long it is. You can certainly kill the swordbearer as soon as he comes out as long as it doesn't end up sitting on the ground longer than your sword runner would take to get it if everything else is going to plan.

Should be easy to test this with a couple of people. Just kill the first swordbearer and start a timer to see how long the sword stays on the ground.

My bet is that it only stays on the ground for 45 seconds or less. Which negates the strategy of killing the second swordbearer as soon as comes out simply because Crota will rotate right and be there for one minute.

If people stay on the leftside ledge pillar between first and second sword, they should be able to "engage" or stun lock the swordbearer during the time Crota is to the right. Except there's a risk of altering the swordbearer's pathfinding and force him to hide to the left side away from the gunfire. Perhaps safer to let him sit somewhere in the middle, but take him down as soon as Crota starts to rotate back to the middle from the right.

If all the DPS players need to get back inside for orbs/health/ammo, it is better to lure the swordbearer to the area below the platform by shooting at him through the glass. Usually once he comes down those stairs, he becomes friendly with the GK and he will stay there till the team comes back out to kill him.

I've also seen the swordbearer do crazy things like come into the crystal room--both from left and right entries! That's frequently the most annoying since we have to force him outside with grenades, but he will then descend the stairs and hide near or in the ogre rooms.

neoism

I'm guessing you meant to type "don't", but yeah, TDB pvp maps will be avail for all once HoW drops, so you'll have access to them all.

Edit: Just took a look at the new Fallen weapons, dat Fallenhorn though, I'm trademarking that lol.

Yeah damn ipad typing.. Cool I really never cared for the Crota look or the raid sooo looks like im a get this, getting 7-8 maps plus everything else seems nice for 20 bones glad I waited. Pvp is the only thing I've liked about this game but I also lovvvved firefight in reach played to shit out of that. So I looks worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom