• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT20| HoW Comes, No Raid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
It's either Crota himself or the Swordbearer 95% of the time. Would've killed him much earlier if he didn't hit me so many times while I was invisible.

GutZ31

Congrats to everyone who got their guardian lordship! That was a real fun run. I can't wait to see the pic with all those orbs we generated.

ubbYKvO.jpg

Special delivery ~!

Ken

Ok so coming back from pre-CE, I guess I need to swap out all my old gear for the stuff with a Roman numeral I? Is there any kind of exchange I can do with my legendary gear or do I have to replace it with totally new stuff from vendors? Is there any point in upgrading non-I stuff anymore or is if a waste?

Here's my Titan. I got a new pistol from the mail I guess.

Oh wow so PoE really is just a hoarde mode then... I guess that's alright....

The new modifiers are pretty interesting. The 300% me lee damage one is going to make my Titan so happy. Going unbreakable with defender/Monte Carlo/NBP or striker/AoE melee is going to be tons of fun. I wonder if these will creep their way into nightfall too or if they'll be solely for PoE.

*Gasp* An iRAWR sighting!!

*snaps picture*

BTW, have they confirmed or not whether level 35 will give you all the rewards/rolls for the previous levels or will we have to do them all to get all the rewards for that week?

Seeing as the 4 difficulties are 4 different bosses (look at the name, description of each PoE) you'll need to do all 3 non matchmaking, the matchmaking one looks like just weekly heroic rewards.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
DGAF

it'd be dope if we could sort of put together a pre-HoW checklist or something close to get ready for the expansion

Ok so coming back from pre-CE, I guess I need to swap out all my old gear for the stuff with a Roman numeral I? Is there any kind of exchange I can do with my legendary gear or do I have to replace it with totally new stuff from vendors? Is there any point in upgrading non-I stuff anymore or is if a waste?

Here's my Titan. I got a new pistol from the mail I guess.

You'll be able to upgrade every piece of Legendary and Exotic armor and weapons you have to the max level, once HoW comes out. If you want to get to 31 now, then yes, you'd need to replace it with vendor stuff. I would definitely hang on to any pieces of Raid Gear and weapons you might have, upgrading those will be nice.

ReNeGaDe124

Regarding Prison of Elders, is it known if you retain the checkpoint if you exit to Orbit? Considering there is no loot until the end I can see a lot of round 5 checkpoint sharing.

Shito

VoG is genuinely fun. CE not so much.
I really like and enjoy NM CE Bridge and Crota. The abyss and deathsinger are a real bore though...

DGAF

it'd be dope if we could sort of put together a pre-HoW checklist or something close to get ready for the expansion
I don't think there's much to prepare for anymore, compared to TDB. It's probably useless pushing as many factions as you can close to being levelled up because they won't give you 33 light armor / 365 weapons. The new upgrade system makes it so you can't really get a headstart anymore this way, so apart from maxing out your marks in order to buy the new vendors gear, I don't really see much to do.

Regarding Prison of Elders, is it known if you retain the checkpoint if you exit to Orbit? Considering there is no loot until the end I can see a lot of round 5 checkpoint sharing.
I think I heard this point being brought up during the reveal stream, and the answer seemed to be "nope, no checkpoint, gotta start it all again!".

Ken

You'll be able to upgrade every piece of Legendary and Exotic armor and weapons you have to the max level, once HoW comes out. If you want to get to 31 now, then yes, you'd need to replace it with vendor stuff. I would definitely hang on to any pieces of Raid Gear and weapons you might have, upgrading those will be nice.

I need to be 30 anyways for CE normal and nightfall right? Did they update VoG's loot any?

Suppose I'll just cap marks and grab vendor gear, and maybe try to pug the raids before HoW.

darthbob

In the Twitch reveal it was stated that checkpoints are not retained if you exit the activity.

I really like and enjoy NM CE Bridge and Crota. The abyss and deathsinger are a real bore though...

Yeah, that's true. Doesn't hold a candle to VoG, though.

I wonder if HM CE will become more fun once we're level 34.

I need to be 30 anyways for CE normal and nightfall right? Did they update VoG's loot any?

Suppose I'll just cap marks and grab vendor gear, and maybe try to pug the raids before HoW.

Nightfalls are 30 now, yes. They'll be 32 in a few weeks.

VoG didn't get updated, but once HoW hits we'll be able to ascend it to the max level.

ReNeGaDe124

I think I heard this point being brought up during the reveal stream, and the answer seemed to be "nope, no checkpoint, gotta start it all again!".

In the Twitch reveal it was stated that checkpoints are not retained if you exit the activity.

This is both good and bad. Good because that means everyone will earn their loot and bad because the activity seems to be pretty lengthy (especially the level 35 one) and a full team disconnect could be very frustrating. It might not be ideal, but I think it's better this way.

VoG is genuinely fun. CE not so much.

Yep, VoG is fun in both modes. CE is fun in normal mode (except Abyss), but hard mode is a chore, especially Crota himself due to all the glitching. HM CE runs these past 2 weeks since I came back to the game have been a fucking pain due to Crota and his swordbearer. The people I played them with were great so that pain was mitigated thankfully.

Still, the 3 month break from the game was good for me. A lot of the game feels fresh since I forgot so much of it.

Even VoG which I ran a bunch of times with my old group managed to surprise me a couple of times.

Yep, VoG is fun in both modes. CE is fun in normal mode (except Abyss), but hard mode is a chore, especially Crota himself due to all the glitching. HM CE runs these past 2 weeks since I came back to the game have been a fucking pain due to Crota and his swordbearer.

Still, the 3 month break from the game was good for me. A lot of the game feels fresh since I forgot so much of it.

Even VoG which I ran a bunch of times with my old group managed to surprise me a couple of times.

Well, we had alotta fun today during Crota. My favorite moment was when I died in the crystal room before walking out, and everyone was like 'He died..? Should we wipe?' And I was like 'IT'S OK, I'M A WARLOCK'. Good times.

Zoidberg

Anyone up for a nm ce in about 15-20? Still need blackhammer. Alternatively anyone have deathsinger/crota nm checkpoint and want to run from there?

edit: no bites, randoms it is!

Yeah, that's true. Doesn't hold a candle to VoG, though.

I wonder if HM CE will become more fun once we're level 34.

Nightfalls are 30 now, yes. They'll be 32 in a few weeks.

VoG didn't get updated, but once HoW hits we'll be able to ascend it to the max level.

The main issue I have with HM CE aside from glitchy Crota and swordbearer is the health regen block. It's just such an artificial difficulty hike to cause unnecessary wipes. Even Oversoul is manageable (we killed 2 Oversouls in the same HM attempt yesterday).

I'm still hopefull they'll be updating VoG. They had a stream schedulled for next wednesday without any info, so either some activity they haven't announced yet or updates to existing activities.

ocean

Banned
They have to update VoG.

Atheon will die in seconds on HM against level 34's with 365 guns.
Being 34 won't make our damage against him go up. 365 weapons will, though not by that much. Ice Breaker used to hit Atheon for about 17k during Time's Vengeance at 300. A 331 IB will hit for about 20k.

What WILL change a lot is Crota's End on Heroic. No longer stuck 1 level below the enemies, Hard Crota's will be the exact same encounter as Normal in terms of difficulty except it has Major boomers.

nOoblet16

The main issue I have with HM CE aside from glitchy Crota and swordbearer is the health regen block. It's just such an artificial difficulty hike to cause unnecessary wipes. Even Oversoul is manageable (we killed 2 Oversouls in the same HM attempt yesterday).

I'm still hopefull they'll be updating VoG. They had a stream schedulled for next wednesday without any info, so either some activity they haven't announced yet or updates to existing activities.

Like I said in a post yesterday HM Crota is just artificial difficulty...severe level disadvantage, no Chalice (It's tough to kill trash mob with Red Death as they take 3 bursts and the only place you can kill them once you start the encounter is outside most of the time), blocking viable strategy from being used (by spawning a gatekeeper in middle room and a wizard on Crota's middle platform if you kill the boomers), the way enrage is tied to damage.

Speaking of enrage I would have liked it if enrage didn't mean an automatic wipe but just something that made it tougher but still do able , but as it stands enrage is an automatic wipe because Crota will summon Oversoul constantly and spawn ogres.

Another thing I'd prefer, an actual health bar for bosses on the bottom of my screen instead of on top of enemy because it disappears often and the shield especially in Crota fight is very hard to see sometimes due to all the flashes and explosions.

Being 34 won't make our damage against him go up. 365 weapons will, though not by that much. Ice Breaker used to hit Atheon for about 17k during Time's Vengeance at 300. A 331 IB will hit for about 20k.

What WILL change a lot is Crota's End on Heroic. No longer stuck 1 level below the enemies, Hard Crota's will be the exact same encounter as Normal in terms of difficulty except it has Major boomers.

yeah thats a misconceived notion

its why saying level 32 is preferred for atheon is ridiculous .. I've seen that on LFG

Well, we had alotta fun today during Crota. My favorite moment was when I died in the crystal room before walking out, and everyone was like 'He died..? Should we wipe?' And I was like 'IT'S OK, I'M A WARLOCK'. Good times.

Yeah man, the group was awesome. That's what made me stay up with you guys beyond midnight wipe after wipe.

'IT'S OK, I'M A WARLOCK' every time you died before going out was great. Really rubbing it in the face of those snooty Hunters and Titans looking down on the noble Warlocks. XD

And when nOoblet killed himself with a grenade trying to expend his super was hilarious. I was running right beside him, the area was clear and he suddenly dies. I was super confused!

ocean

Banned
yeah thats a misconceived notion

its why saying level 32 is preferred for atheon is ridiculous .. I've seen that on LFG
You take a tiny bit less damage since your armor's defense stat is higher. But it's definitely not a large enough difference to warrant "32 or bust".

Yeah man, the group was awesome. That's what made me stay up with you guys beyond midnight wipe after wipe.

'IT'S OK, I'M A WARLOCK' every time you died before going out was great. Really rubbing it in the face of those snooty Hunters and Titans looking down on the noble Warlocks. XD

And when nOoblet killed himself with a grenade trying to expend his super was hilarious. I was running right beside him, the area was clear and he suddenly dies. I was super confused!

Yeah, him dying was pretty great.

nOoblet16

Hard Crota will become a joke, you'd be able to kill him in one sword.
As for the rest of the raid, every single thing will be the same except for the Hallowed Ogre that spawns at the end of the Abyss.

With WoL we can already kill Atheon in the first portal run with 5 seconds of Time's Vengeance to spare.

Provided people don't use rockets and Grenades at him and just use their Blackhammers. But there's always that one Gjallarhorny guy who'd cause him to move and mess with everyone else's combined DPS.

Hard Crota will become a joke, you'd be able to kill him in one sword.
As for the rest of the raid, every single thing will be the same except for the Hallowed Ogre that spawns at the end of the Abyss.

I'm thinking 2 swords, like normal is now

or is 1 sword possible on normal nowadays? i don't keep up with the boss strats

at least hard mode will be fun to do legit .. I'm one of those weird people who actually enjoys doing normal crota all the way through without cheese

There won't be a reason to run crota at all, unless you're looking for mats.

For the players who have all exotics and raid gear, what reason is there to run raids, esp Crota; aside from mats for glimmer/motes? The new HoW exotics won't drop from VoG or CE.

I'll run VoG because it's fun but CE will be irrelevant.

nOoblet16

I'm thinking 2 swords, like normal is now

or is 1 sword possible on normal nowadays? i don't keep up with the boss strats

at least hard mode will be fun to do legit .. I'm one of those weird people who actually enjoys doing normal crota all the way through without cheese

It's possible to one sword him, you'll need three downs though if not using the super.
Unless you do the most damage dealing combo which needs good timing.

There won't be a reason to run crota at all, unless you're looking for mats.

for the same reason people run VoG now i guess?

i find the speed in which a full crota run can be done preferable to vog

vog really drags at spots.. freakin oracles seem to go on forever

Speaking of enrage I would have liked it if enrage didn't mean an automatic wipe but just something that made it tougher but still do able , but as it stands enrage is an automatic wipe because Crota will summon Oversoul constantly and spawn ogres.

Another thing I'd prefer, an actual health bar for bosses on the bottom of my screen instead of on top of enemy because it disappears often and the shield especially in Crota fight is very hard to see sometimes due to all the flashes and explosions.

Me and 3 friends enraged Templar in normal mode 3/4ths of the way in and the ensuing chaos while trying to finish of the templar was awesome. Kept us really on our toes, constantly killing harpies, minotaurs and oracles, cleansing due to missed oracles and still trying to take Templar down all at the same time.

It's though, but with revives it's manageable and fun. We managed to kill Templar and had a blast, one of the most memorable times we had in VoG.

I agree with you, it's just poor design when enrage automatically means a wipe. Make it tougher, not impossible.

And I also consider no revives in hard mode a very poor design decision. It's just another artificial barrier to encourage wipes and reset the encounter. Bungie should just make the revive timer longer if they want to be dicks about it and not have to work to make it tougher and more challenging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom