• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT20| HoW Comes, No Raid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

milkham

What did he promise?

xRJy128.png

edit: well, looks like a promise for comet instead of Prison of Elders, thanks firehawk

Anyone still need to do weeklies after 12 Eastern time? I want to stock up on coins before something really stupid is for sale from our good friend Xur.

Anyone doing crota hm? Was falling asleep last night and didn't get to finish the run with gaf.

Probably gonna start in about ~30 minutes after dinner arrives. Down to do it 3 times. Already have CP on 2/3 characters.

We have:

1. WheelHoss
2. Atone13
3. MickeyPhree

Probably gonna start in about ~30 minutes after dinner arrives. Down to do it 3 times. Already have CP on 2/3 characters.

We have:

1. WheelHoss
2. Atone13
3. MickeyPhree

Thunderlords and Ballahorns for all, oh and one of you jerks is going to get a Hawkmoon. My Hawkmoon I might add.

Best of luck!

sjay1994

We have:

1. WheelHoss
2. Atone13
3. MickeyPhree

This on PS4?

Cuz, I'd be down. Also, sorry If I am rusty. I just jumped back on after a 2 month hiatus from destiny

Thunderlords and Ballahorns for all, oh and one of you jerks is going to get a Hawkmoon. My Hawkmoon I might add.

Best of luck!

No chance you might join us and wreck shop with your Timur's Lash?

This on PS4?

Cuz, I'd be down. Also, sorry If I am rusty. I just jumped back on after a 2 month hiatus from destiny

Yes, PS4. Won't be able to talk a ton because I have to keep the mic muted most of the time to drown out my girl's screams coming from the other room where she's playing Bloodborne.

milkham

No chance you might join us and wreck shop with your Timur's Lash?

Yes, PS4. Won't be able to talk a ton because I have to keep the mic muted most of the time to drown out my girl's screams coming from the other room where she's playing Bloodborne.

got room for me? psn: milkham

MickeyPhree

We have:

1. WheelHoss
2. Atone13
3. MickeyPhree

I need to run it twice with both Hunter and Titan. I'll be online in about twenty minutes.

Anastasis

Anyone still need to do weeklies after 12 Eastern time? I want to stock up on coins before something really stupid is for sale from our good friend Xur.

I still need to do the weekly with my hunter and that's late enough here in central time to be reasonably sure my boys are fast asleep. PSN:vernonhilz

jett

D-Member
Man people have become so efficient at VoG. I snuck into a HM raid and Atheon went down in a couple of minutes. Got two shit helmets for my warlock for my troubles, lolz. Got a Hezen Vengeance too, I finally got a decent rocket launcher at least.

BondFancy

Man people have become so efficient at VoG. I snuck into a HM raid and Atheon went down in a couple of minutes. Got two shit helmets for my warlock for my troubles, lolz. Got a Hezen Vengeance too, I finally got a decent rocket launcher at least.

I know VOG on hard has become a joke even with random people from LFG. Got my first Fatebringer this week, still waiting for Henzen Vengance or Hunger of Crota...or gjallarhorn.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Bout to launch our newbie raid.

I'm handicapping myself with liquor.

One shot for every death... will switch to wipes only after the jumping puzzle if things are really hairy.

Our 25 couldn't make it and everyone is high leveled (even though half the party is first timers), so the risk is way lower than I expected.

But anyway, if interested in the hijinks: www.twitch.tv/thehawkian

...already need to take two

Deku Tree

No you didn't.

milkham

Sure!

1. WheelHoss
2. Atone13
3. MickeyPhree
4. Sjay1994
5. Milkham
6. LkPr

We're full if we have a Swordbearer. Do we?

If not, I'll find one, and it will be first come, first serve.

if no one else can, i can try. i've done it on normal but expect wipes

Sure!

1. WheelHoss
2. Atone13
3. MickeyPhree
4. Sjay1994
5. Milkham
6. LkPr

We're full if we have a Swordbearer. Do we?

If not, I'll find one, and it will be first come, first serve.

Crota is so easy on nm now even a master scrub like me can take em down. Do it hoss, youll do fine :)

Lnkn52

Bout to launch our newbie raid.

I'm handicapping myself with liquor.

One shot for every death... will switch to wipes only after the jumping puzzle if things are really hairy.

Our 25 couldn't make it and everyone is high leveled (even though half the party is first timers), so the risk is way lower than I expected.

But anyway, if interested in the hijinks: www.twitch.tv/thehawkian

...already need to take two

May we get the list of those raiding with Hawkian, so we may blame them for his demise.

these threads have been a lot of fun and i just wanted to say thanks for making this place a friendly, active and whimsical place to hang out. there's never a dull day in destiny gaf (well, maybe mondays). even if i don't know all of you, i appreciate every one who also calls this place home.

except you. yes you with the felwinter's lie. you know who you are.

GhaleonEB

Thoughts on the Prison of Elders now that the BWU is up (and didn't address any of the unknowns):

It looks like a lot of fun. That was the bottom line I came away with. Just how much fun depends on the details.

Stuff I liked

• Rotating rounds, bosses and modifiers will give the base matchmade game far more longevity than any strike.
  • The matchmaking option is a welcome one, and the required level for entry low enough to ensure a good population, but high enough for a decent enough challenge for higher levels, as Roc strikes are.
  • I expected one arena, we basically get four medium sized Firefight maps instead. There's a lot more there than I had hoped.
  • Rotating six pre-made hard mode versions without matchmaking strikes me as a good way to balance out the desire for more hardcore, team oriented endgame content with the accessibility of the MM version. The weekly rotation, along with rotating loot tables, will ensure it has some longevity. I can see the community coming together to run these just as we do raids upon the weekly reset.
  • It looked hard, and the circular shape seemed to make it tough to get into a truly safe area.
  • The AI looks tweaked. Some new behaviors in the mix, and the enemies look much more aggressive - swarming after players from one side of the arena to the next - than in strikes and missions. This is a good thing.
  • Objectives. They are simple: defend the stationary targets, kill the stationary targets, kill the big moving target. But it's enough that they will shake up the pace of play and inject a bit more strategy, especially at the higher difficulties.
  • Each mode looks longer and meatier than a strike.
  • Weapon drops (heavy ammo, giant cannon) are a good way to mix things up; reminds me of Firefight in Reach and the air drops of gear between Rounds. Dropping them during the rounds is a good idea.

What I'm wondering about

• What will be the separation of loot between the matchmade mode and the hard modes? Opening up more of the endgame content to players who want or need matchmaking is a good thing, but they also need access to the endgame loot. If the rewards suck, it will still feel unfair. Obviously some rewards need to be exclusive to the hard modes, but the MM mode needs a path to something substantial. People don't just want access to the activity, they also want access to the loot.
  • How do armor and weapon cores play into the loot, alongside the chests at the end?
  • Can we fight more than one faction at a time? Some of the very best encounters in the game involve three way battles (Skywatch megabattle anyone?). One arena dedicated to each faction seems limiting; hopefully there are break ins/invasions of other factions during the battles.
  • Can we have more than one modifier at a time? There could be some fun combinations - Brawler + Lightswitch would be a fun risk/reward close quarters mode. These would have to be crafted so as to not get sucky combos, but it would add even more variety. Edit: at leas some modes feature multiple skulls active. Yay!.

Stuff I didn't like

• The voice work on the Fallen dude was not so great.
  • The actual reveal did not go well at all. Almost no developer insight into the mode, since everyone was too busy trying not to die (and failing) or trying to tune out the unfortunately shrieking guest. I'm all for enthusiasm but it really detracted from the reveal. And no time was set aside to sit back and actually talk about what saw with the devs, as was the case with the first two. Generally poorly thought out and executed.
  • Some actual, new enemies would be nice.

Overall Prison of Elders has a lot more to it than I was expecting. The rotating variables, method of loot drops (dedicated chests), matchmaking + HM rotations and multiple arenas will make for something I'll likely be spending a huge amount of time in. I hope Bungie is able to continue to tweak and expand on it, tweaking the variables to make it better and better, rather than leave it static as is the case with the strikes. But right out the gates - it looks like a LOT of fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom