• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT20| HoW Comes, No Raid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried to leave. Something keeps pulling me back. Don't know what.

Did this dude really went in the direction of the Archive on this strike? Really? Really? You go left, not right! And then there's the dude who left soon after. Oh wait, that's me.

Thats just a noob, cut them some slack. Today I had some lvl32 hiding under the stairs against Valus in a ROC strike. Talk about embarrassing.

I wanna run some ROC Strikes or play some Clash but I hate going in by myself. Usually get stuck with a team who backs out when its Undying Mind, Omnigul or even Valus still.

First attempt at killing crota After month and a half of being gone..hit the touch pad for the menu, misjudge the cloak timer, and hit circle to dodge before I got hit by Crota..meh aplogizes in advance to the group since this might be rough :p

Thoughts on the Prison of Elders now that the BWU is up (and didn't address any of the unknowns):

It looks like a lot of fun. That was the bottom line I came away with. Just how much fun depends on the details.

Stuff I liked

• Rotating rounds, bosses and modifiers will give the base matchmade game far more longevity than any strike.
  • The matchmaking option is a welcome one, and the required level for entry low enough to ensure a good population, but high enough for a decent enough challenge for higher levels, as Roc strikes are.
  • I expected one arena, we basically get four medium sized Firefight maps instead. There's a lot more there than I had hoped.
  • Rotating six pre-made hard mode versions without matchmaking strikes me as a good way to balance out the desire for more hardcore, team oriented endgame content with the accessibility of the MM version. The weekly rotation, along with rotating loot tables, will ensure it has some longevity. I can see the community coming together to run these just as we do raids upon the weekly reset.
  • It looked hard, and the circular shape seemed to make it tough to get into a truly safe area.
  • The AI looks tweaked. Some new behaviors in the mix, and the enemies look much more aggressive - swarming after players from one side of the arena to the next - than in strikes and missions. This is a good thing.
  • Objectives. They are simple: defend the stationary targets, kill the stationary targets, kill the big moving target. But it's enough that they will shake up the pace of play and inject a bit more strategy, especially at the higher difficulties.
  • Each mode looks longer and meatier than a strike.
  • Weapon drops (heavy ammo, giant cannon) are a good way to mix things up; reminds me of Firefight in Reach and the air drops of gear between Rounds. Dropping them during the rounds is a good idea.

What I'm wondering about

• What will be the separation of loot between the matchmade mode and the hard modes? Opening up more of the endgame content to players who want or need matchmaking is a good thing, but they also need access to the endgame loot. If the rewards suck, it will still feel unfair. Obviously some rewards need to be exclusive to the hard modes, but the MM mode needs a path to something substantial. People don't just want access to the activity, they also want access to the loot.
  • How do armor and weapon cores play into the loot, alongside the chests at the end?
  • Can we fight more than one faction at a time? Some of the very best encounters in the game involve three way battles (Skywatch megabattle anyone?). One arena dedicated to each faction seems limiting; hopefully there are break ins/invasions of other factions during the battles.
  • Can we have more than one modifier at a time? There could be some fun combinations - Brawler + Lightswitch would be a fun risk/reward close quarters mode. These would have to be crafted so as to not get sucky combos, but it would add even more variety. Edit: at leas some modes feature multiple skulls active. Yay!.

Stuff I didn't like

• The voice work on the Fallen dude was not so great.
  • The actual reveal did not go well at all. Almost no developer insight into the mode, since everyone was too busy trying not to die (and failing) or trying to tune out the unfortunately shrieking guest. I'm all for enthusiasm but it really detracted from the reveal. And no time was set aside to sit back and actually talk about what saw with the devs, as was the case with the first two. Generally poorly thought out and executed.
  • Some actual, new enemies would be nice.

Overall Prison of Elders has a lot more to it than I was expecting. The rotating variables, method of loot drops (dedicated chests), matchmaking + HM rotations and multiple arenas will make for something I'll likely be spending a huge amount of time in. I hope Bungie is able to continue to tweak and expand on it, tweaking the variables to make it better and better, rather than leave it static as is the case with the strikes. But right out the gates - it looks like a LOT of fun.

Aside from my issues with match-making, I completely agree.

So Bungie linked this in their weekly update

urBE6ap.jpg

It's titled 'Concurrency'. It's obviously a player count. It's interesting, too...so I'm going to do a run through. The 4 colored bars are the number of players on each console-The orange on top being PS4 most likely, Pink Xbox One, the Olive colored one 360, and the Dark Blue PS3. These are just guesses by me. The light blue that shades over it is the total number of players across all 4 consoles

So...it certainly peaked after the patch. The patch ended around...what...1130-12? It explains the huge spike of people logging as that'd be about the time kids in the east coast gets out of school. That, or general interest to see if the patch did anything/the stream itself.

The most important thing to me though, is what number those boxes represent. Horizontally, each box represents an hour in time. Vertically however? Could be 10k-Could be 20k....it can't be 100k per box as that would not account for the spikes in growth-that would mean that atleast 50k people are logging in after the game went up. Not unless that many people are really interested to see what's up. Or maybe they logged in to see the new things after the stream, in which case 100k per box is plausible. It could be 50k-Each line growing by about 25k post patch/stream (except for the PS3/360 versions would account for ) sounds about right. Another detail is that after about 40-45 minutes, the population stabilizes and plateaus(Granted this would be around 11:45 AM/12 PM, definitely not peak hours)...which would put the current active population for each console at being at(Accounting for if it peaks at around 4PM PST/5 PM PST)

PS4-125k-175k
Xbone-75k-125k
PS3-45k-70k
360-45k-70k

That's if each box is 50k people @_@

Boy I spent way too much time on this.

So Bungie linked this in their weekly update

urBE6ap.jpg

It's titled 'Concurrency'. It's obviously a player count. It's interesting, too...so I'm going to do a run through. The 4 colored bars are the number of players on each console-The orange on top being PS4 most likely, Pink Xbox One, the Olive colored one 360, and the Dark Blue PS3. These are just guesses by me. The light blue that shades over it is the total number of players across all 4 consoles

So...it certainly peaked after the patch. The patch ended around...what...1130-12? It explains the huge spike of people logging as that'd be about the time kids in the east coast gets out of school. That, or general interest to see if the patch did anything/the stream itself.

The most important thing to me though, is what number those boxes represent. Horizontally, each box represents an hour in time. Vertically however? Could be 10k-Could be 20k....it can't be 100k per box as that would not account for the spikes in growth-that would mean that atleast 50k people are logging in after the game went up. Not unless that many people are really interested to see what's up. Or maybe they logged in to see the new things after the stream, in which case 100k per box is plausible. It could be 50k-Each line growing by about 25k post patch/stream (except for the PS3/360 versions would account for ) sounds about right. Another detail is that after about 40-45 minutes, the population stabilizes and plateaus(Granted this would be around 11:45 AM/12 PM, definitely not peak hours)...which would put the current active population for each console at being at(Accounting for if it peaks at around 4PM PST/5 PM PST)

PS4-125k-175k
Xbone-75k-125k
PS3-45k-70k
360-45k-70k

That's if each box is 50k people @_@

Boy I spent way too much time on this.

if this were true, then that 400,000k number would in fact be close to concurrent users.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
actually, i'm gonna go ahead and be proud of this.

20 shots before the gatekeepers (any death), 3 shots after (any wipe).

Yes, i have remarkable tolerance.

The only two exotic weapons I don't have are Monte Carlo and Nechrochasm. So Xur won't have a weapon for me until he starts selling HoW stuff.

He's even harder in the Chalice Dungeon.

But she has a +9 Tontirus and the Tiny Tontirus. Got him on initial attempt. Team First Try!

Yeah I was super bummed out to see him again in the Chalice Dungeon. Grats!

Rymuth

Everything that ever went wrong for me personally, went wrong

- First half of the raid, I couldn't hear anything so I was just winging it (NOT a pleasant position to be in)

- finally switched off my headset and I could hear the voices (on the TV set)

- Held the entire group by not being able to clear the jumping puzzle.

Overall, intense but this is really bad for my heart. :p

EDIT: Forgot to thank everyone for the raid. Now that's just awful manners.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Lol so drunk! Love it. Great victory, despite the fall. Great drops, too.

worrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd

funny, during the first half I forgot I had done HM on my warlock, during the second half I forgot loot existed at all
Everything that ever went wrong for me personally, went wrong

- First half of the raid, I couldn't hear anything so I was just winging it (NOT a pleasant position to be in)

- finally switched off my headset and I could hear the voices (on the TV set)

- Held the entire group by not being able to clear the jumping puzzle.

Overall, intense but this is really bad for my heart. :p
<3 you're awesome, i've never seen someone hold their own with zero mic contact like that before, let alone my handicap

harrytang

thank you hawkian for being an awesome teacher in VOG. i encourage anyone on the fence with raiding to hop on board and join in. best time ive had in destiny so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom