• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT20| HoW Comes, No Raid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's because a majority of the maps aren't built for scouts. Maps like First Light or Bastion the scout is great on. However, most of the maps are small or have a lot of close quarters. That's why shotguns are so good, also add in movement skills like Blink, it just makes them insane.

Yet Sniper Rifle kills have double the numbers of Scout Rifles?

That's because a majority of the maps aren't built for scouts. Maps like First Light or Bastion the scout is great on. However, most of the maps are small or have a lot of close quarters. That's why shotguns are so good, also add in movement skills like Blink, it just makes them insane.

This is true too. I always ran scout on Bastion and First Light, but I haven't played those maps in forever since they relegated them to certain playlists.

Yet Sniper Rifle kills have double the numbers of Scout Rifles?

It's probably a result of people not running with scouts period. I'd say at this point, you are more likely to see people with a sniper rifle than a scout since those same people are probably using a hand cannon as primary, while the people with shotguns are also running with a hand cannon since it has a similar viable range.

noomi

Do... do they sell a Gjallarhorn?

No :( But some guy did manage to build it out of legos... hey it's something!

I take it you're not playing The Witcher 3. As much as I'm hyped for HoW, Destiny is the game I'll play during breaks of witchering.

I have W3 pre-ordered I'm just not planning on playing it right away. I still have a siginificant backlog to get through.

GTA5 PC > House of Wolves > Far Cry 4 > Witcher 3

In that order :p

I have to ask, what would you need an extra for?

It is annoying leveling up exotics multiple times but I have over 200 strange coins and the only things i buy from xur now is heavy ammo synth. It's the collector in me that just wants to see another one sitting in the vault.

Some people really aren't seeing the bigger picture.

There are 3 reasons why Shotguns are the most used weapons in Destiny:

1. Blink + Shotgun is stupid easy to pull off with virtually no risk involved.
2. Shotguns are easy to use and can kill from ridiculous ranges.
3. The map design largely favors them with excessive corners and chokepoints.

The last part is also one reason why Autos will always be ahead of the semi-auto weapons. They have more DPS in CQB and they're also easier to fire there.

Removing special ammo off of spawn IS NOT going to fix the situation. Limiting special ammo makes the game worse because it makes Supers more powerful. When Supers are more powerful, players can play more defensively while they wait for them to recharge. Special ammo is a constant counter to supers, and less of them means that balance is tilted. Lowering the Super meter regeneration could solve that problem, but then everyone will just start using Thorn.

More rockets is not the solution for that part either. At all. Nobody should have more than 2 rockets and a machine gun shouldn't have more than 2-3 reloads. If more heavy ammo is going to be added to the game, their spawn time needs to be reduced to once per match. You can't have heavy coming up 3 times and then give people enough to get 15 kills with.

Data is meaningless if you can't comphrehend why things are happening. Most of Bungie's changes to the Crucible show me that they don't really understand their multiplayer.

If they want to limit Shotgun usage, they have to nerf Blink, nerf Shotgun ranges, and redesign all the maps so that there are few optimal places for Shotgun usage. Alternatively, if they rebuff Fusion Rifles, those will replace Shotguns as the flavor of the month. After all, Crucible is all about using the most broken guns to get easy kills and right now it's Felwinter's Lie + Blink.

Newboi

Bungie needs to just buff everything instead of nerfing stuff so everything becomes viable lol.

On a serious note, I hope that Bungie wises up for Destiny 2 and creates two attribute tiers for weapons, one for PvE and one for PvP. Balancing the entire game around PvP is killing weapon viability in PvE.

Damn lol. It's an exotic at least.

Is it kinda like the Titan's Glasshouse?
Yeah, kind of. Glasshouse isn't as useful as I thought it would be, but the Arachnid helmet seems really useless. Golden Gun zoom, dunno why that should be a thing to want. I'll probably get it anyway since I have the coins to burn, but meh.

ocean

Banned
Bungie needs to just buff everything instead of nerfing stuff so everything becomes viable lol.

On a serious note, I hope that Bungie wises up for Destiny 2 and creates two attribute tiers for weapons, one for PvE and one for PvP. Balancing the entire game around PvP is killing weapon viability in PvE.
They already did this for shotguns (stronger against the darkness or whatever). This is a fantastic cop out which they should abuse for separate balancing.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
in PvP they really don't. TTK is already quite high for every single weapon class.
I mean... what weapons are not viable in PvE at this point besides auto rifles (I guess. Grumble vanquisher grumble.)?

Shotguns were specifically buffed just for PvE. The pulse buff made them viable all over the place... actually, outside of ARs what nerfing are you even referring to?
Then you died lol

Also all shotguns just means felwinters lie
I hate to be a downer but while felwinter's lie is at the top of the pile, the functional difference in ridiculousness between it and the vendor secret handshake or found verdict is not that high. If it (FL) is nerfed specifically, some other shotgun will just then be the most ridiculous, while all will remain ridiculous.

Shotguns with high range/range-affecting perks can oneshot outside of shotgun range. That's really all there is to it.

Pvp newb here. How does blink shotgun work?

it's literally that. you blink towards your opponent and then shotgun them.

Blink covers a lot of distance instantaneously and the range of the shotgun does the rest. if you blink above your opponent and then shotgun them from the air, most of them wont be able to react.

jett

D-Member
It is annoying leveling up exotics multiple times but I have over 200 strange coins and the only things i buy from xur now is heavy ammo synth. It's the collector in me that just wants to see another one sitting in the vault.

Haha okay.

This is true too. I always ran scout on Bastion and First Light, but I haven't played those maps in forever since they relegated them to certain playlists.

I miss those maps, they should be back on regular Clash/Control rotation. I'd definitely rather play on them than the small-ass rumble maps Bungie inexplicably decided to add to control/clash. Nothing but clusterfucks.

Toa TAK

Banned
I DID IT. I KILLED URZOK!

Thank you, Secret Handshake. Plus, it was SUPER helpful that it was an actual public event defending the Warsat with a couple Guardians to help.

The last part is also one reason why Autos will always be ahead of the semi-auto weapons. They have more DPS in CQB and they're also easier to fire there.

Agreed.

Removing special ammo off of spawn IS NOT going to fix the situation. Limiting special ammo makes the game worse because it makes Supers more powerful. When Supers are more powerful, players can play more defensively while they wait for them to recharge.

I don't know if I agree with this. Special weapons definitely are a decent counter to some supers, but I don't think they're a reliable enough counter to make a large impact. The main counter to supers anecdotally seems to be other supers. I'm really curious to know why super kills are going down overall though.

And no, more rockets is not the solution. At all. Nobody should have more than 2 rockets and a machine gun shouldn't have more than 2-3 reloads. If more heavy ammo is going to be added to the game, their spawn time needs to be reduced to once per match. You can't have heavy coming up 3 times and then give people enough to get 15 kills with.

Agreed. I think a nerf to MG ammo is the best solution.

Data is meaningless if you can't comphrehend why things are happening. Most of Bungie's changes to the Crucible show me that they don't really understand their multiplayer.

If they want to limit shotgun usage, they have to nerf Blink, nerf Shotgun ranges, and redesign all the maps so that there are few optimal places for Shotgun usage. Alternatively, if they rebuff Fusion Rifles, those will replace Shotguns as the flavor of the month. After all, Crucible is all about using the most broken guns to get easy kills and right now it's Felwinter's Lie + Blink.

Agreed. I think it would be really interesting to see how a nerf to Blink's cooldown would affect shotguns.

I miss those maps, they should be back on regular Clash/Control rotation. I'd definitely rather play on them than the small-ass rumble maps Bungie inexplicably decided to add to control/clash. Nothing but clusterfucks.

Overall, I really did like those maps for Control (not so much TDM). I wish they would just get rid of some of the wasted space out towards the edges and reintroduce them.

Bradach

TheCryptarch was not banned for garbage posting: here is what he told me on Twitter:
I'm banned till next week. Because I said they'd be a raid, at e3 I will quote myself...

Is he an insider? His post seems suggests that they'll reveal a raid at E3 and that it will be part of HoW (free download?). I can't see why he would be quoting himself otherwise.

So here is a question that Fyrewulff could probably answer.

If bungie wanted to make a spiritual successor to a halo map, could they?

Like, could they make a spiritual successor to Rat's Nest or Standoff? For some reason I feel like Rat's nest would be amazing for Destiny gameplay.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I don't see why Blink needs to be nerfed alongside nerfing shotguns to nerf shotguns. Just nerf shotguns. And fusion rifles don't need to be rebuffed, they remain incredibly effective right now despite not being the flavor of the month (and people who run around with primary shotguns are really predictably killable with one by the way).

I don't see why Blink needs to be nerfed alongside nerfing shotguns to nerf shotguns. Just nerf shotguns. And fusion rifles don't need to be rebuffed, they remain incredibly effective right now despite not being the flavor of the month (and people who run around with primary shotguns are really predictably killable with one by the way).

Yeah, fusion rifles are fine where they are. I'm still getting one shotted by them from ridiculous ranges.

in PvP they really don't. TTK is already quite high for every single weapon class.

I mean... what weapons are not viable in PvE at this point besides auto rifles (I guess. Grumble vanquisher grumble.)?

Shotguns were specifically buffed just for PvE. The pulse buff made them viable all over the place... actually, outside of ARs what nerfing are you even referring to?

I hate to be a downer but while felwinter's lie is at the top of the pile, the functional difference in ridiculousness between it and the vendor secret handshake or found verdict is not that high. If it (FL) is nerfed specifically, some other shotgun will just then be the most ridiculous, while all will remain ridiculous.

Shotguns with high range/range-affecting perks can oneshot outside of shotgun range. That's really all there is to it.

While i agree its not the problem. But i use fv all the time snd unless im right next to them its not a ohk. But im probably just bad

ERMint13

I think someone said the problem with blink shotgun is they suffer no accuracy loss coming out of blink. All other guns do. If they gave them the same accuracy loss it wouldn't be as big of a problem.

Does anyone know if the gear they will sell in HoW is level 34 gear at the vendors or will it just be new 32 gear we need the new material to upgrade?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
While i agree its not the problem. But i use fv all the time snd unless im right next to them its not a ohk. But im probably just bad
Yours has hammer forged alongside shot package/rangefinder?

edit: Oh you meant found verdict. oops

Found verdict has notably lesser range but you could put out 3 more shots in the time it would take to fire another from felwinter's. I didn't mean they were ridiculous in exactly the same way, just that the total difference in ridiculous is not that large.

edit again: It can definitely ohk from outside of "right next to them," though.... you're using Send It, right?
I think someone said the problem with blink shotgun is they suffer no accuracy loss coming out of blink. All other guns do. If they gave them the same accuracy loss it wouldn't be as big of a problem.
But exactly, that wouldn't be nerfing Blink, just shotguns. Or rather, correcting an imbalanced advantage, if true.
Does anyone know if the gear they will sell in HoW is level 34 gear at the vendors or will it just be new 32 gear we need the new material to upgrade?
All vendor gear will be 32.

edit: Er, standard vendor. The PoE vendor gear looks to be buyable at 34-tier.

jett

D-Member

Fusion-killing fools that come running straight at me is really satisfying. Especially the ones that try to evade my shots by sliding. I always put on a little dance after.

Kyne

I find it usually depends on the map. Anomaly is shotgun central. I HATE that. I hate that the map determines my loadout and points it to one specific weapon.

Handcannon / Shotgun / Red Death / Vex are the most used things in pvp without a doubt. Yes, Red Death and Vex made it into their own categories.

I don't know if I agree with this. Special weapons definitely are a decent counter to some supers, but I don't think they're a reliable enough counter to make a large impact. The main counter to supers anecdotally seems to be other supers. I'm really curious to know why super kills are going down overall though.

I think my train of thought was more indirect.

Special ammo, along with grenades and supers help to counter set ups. With less special, players can't actively break those set ups. You'll wait several minutes for special and then it's gone after the first attempt to break a set up.

This is a catalyst for passive gameplay, which then encourages people to find an alternative route. The top 3 hand cannons have fast kill times and good range, so they fit that description. None of the other archetypes let you aggressively break set ups like the hand cannons do.

Perhaps I see it different because I'm always playing people who abuse every aspect of the game.

Removing special ammo off of spawn IS NOT going to fix the situation. Limiting special ammo makes the game worse because it makes Supers more powerful. When Supers are more powerful, players can play more defensively while they wait for them to recharge. Special ammo is a constant counter to supers, and less of them means that balance is tilted. Lowering the Super meter regeneration could solve that problem, but then everyone will just start using Thorn.

More rockets is not the solution for that part either. At all. Nobody should have more than 2 rockets and a machine gun shouldn't have more than 2-3 reloads. If more heavy ammo is going to be added to the game, their spawn time needs to be reduced to once per match. You can't have heavy coming up 3 times and then give people enough to get 15 kills with.

If they want to limit Shotgun usage, they have to nerf Blink, nerf Shotgun ranges, and redesign all the maps so that there are few optimal places for Shotgun usage. Alternatively, if they rebuff Fusion Rifles, those will replace Shotguns as the flavor of the month. After all, Crucible is all about using the most broken guns to get easy kills and right now it's Felwinter's Lie + Blink.

I'm not a big multiplayer guy, but I always thought Valhalla was great for keeping that balance. If you were a shotgun guy, you ran around in the bases, and through the outer cave system. The sniper guys favored the mountains and the base balconies. Then the vehicles and heavy weapons played in the center while having their backs exposed to the shotties and snipers.

I just loved that map, and want something like it for Destiny.

Interesting, although evident information. Thanks for posting!
Nobody is ever gonna use pulse or scout in PVP, those weapons will always be shit. Bungie has created two weapon classes that present zero reason for existing. They really screwed up at balancing everything. Those two are utterly useless.

I never understood why people use rockets in PVP. You get such a low amount of ammo, and I rarely see multikills from rockets.

In short, Bungie needs to fucking think before they do this shit.

Pulse Rifles and Scout Rifles both still have their place, regardless of what people do. The majority of people aren't good at PvP. I have no idea why we would just accept the majority as being correct. In my opinion, the Bad Juju is either the best or second best (Last Word) gun in PvP. Fast TTK, forgiving style, and relevevant perks make it one of the most severely underrated guns in the game. High impact Scout Rifles such at the Badger CCL and the Rex are still absurdly good. My Badger CCL with max'd stability and Firefly is a 3-shot godsend, especially on maps where there are sight lines to heavy ammo to make use of the Firefly perk.

The biggest issue isn't that they are worthless, but that none of the guns differentiate from one another. You have good weapons and bad weapons. They are all fairly multi-purpose.

Rockets are there to counter people using Heavy. Rockets beat Heavy Machine guns. In a game where the other team is trash, the machine gun is better. In Iron Banner where you have two teams of six against each other, the rockets are better.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Assuming I understand what you mean by breaking set ups, there's absolutely no chance that Red Death does not fit the bill

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
things that are accurate
yes!

hilarious about thorn. I'm not gonna say it doesn't need a nerf, I was one of the only ones I've ever seen saying it didn't need a buff. But you've done this to yourselves, Guardians! It was labeled a shitty exotic, an embarrassment, useless, the #1 gun in need of a major buff etc. for pages and pages. now the darkness has us all.

Assuming I understand what you mean by breaking set ups, there's absolutely no chance that Red Death does not fit the bill

Red Death requires distance to be used effectively. It's almost the foil to the Thorn too because of the health regeneration.

It's a solid weapon, but you wont see it much outside of Control and Clash.

yes!

hilarious about thorn. I'm not gonna say it doesn't need a nerf, I was one of the only ones I've ever seen saying it didn't need a buff. But you've done this to yourselves, Guardians! It was labeled a shitty exotic, an embarrassment, useless, the #1 gun in need of a major buff etc. for pages and pages. now the darkness has us all.

I was the other. It needed a reload buff and that's it. The 6 round mag was the balance for its DoT, which would kill with 2 rounds if you used Aggressive Ballistics.

Now it's top of the food chain.

No :( But some guy did manage to build it out of legos... hey it's something!

I have W3 pre-ordered I'm just not planning on playing it right away. I still have a siginificant backlog to get through.

GTA5 PC > House of Wolves > Far Cry 4 > Witcher 3

In that order :p

With a cripling Destiny addiction like ours and a backlog like that, you'll never get to The Witcher 3. :p

I've already given up on finishing DA:I before the 19th...

I think my train of thought was more indirect.

Special ammo, along with grenades and supers help to counter set ups. With less special, players can't actively break those set ups. You'll wait several minutes for special and then it's gone after the first attempt to break a set up.

This is a catalyst for passive gameplay, which then encourages people to find an alternative route. The top 3 hand cannons have fast kill times and good range, so they fit that description. None of the other archetypes let you aggressively break set ups like the hand cannons do.

Perhaps I see it different because I'm always playing people who abuse every aspect of the game.

I see what you're saying. It's a pillar of the "rock, paper, scissors" dynamic and might screw with things if you nerf scissors. I'm just curious if in a scenario where special ammo was even more rare, would people be more likely to use them more sparingly for special situations such as counters to supers, instead of running around like they're a primary just grabbing easy kills.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Red Death requires distance to be used effectively. It's almost the foil to the Thorn too because of the health regeneration.

It's a solid weapon, but you wont see it much outside of Control and Clash.
I see it fairly often (and use it pretty effectively) in Rumble. I think I see your implied point that it's limited in the 3v3 modes however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom