• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT20| HoW Comes, No Raid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what do we think? Are Xbone players going to get all the PS4 exclusive weapons when Comet releases? If I remember correctly, Bungie and Sony's deal was for a year.

BokehKing

Banned
So what do we think? Are Xbone players going to get all the PS4 exclusive weapons when Comet releases? If I remember correctly, Bungie and Sony's deal was for a year.
Yes probably, and maybe then xur will sell hawkmoon and you'll never have to deal with the pain of never being able to get one to drop

You'll get a few fun mp maps as well

Oh... And joy... Nightfall of the dust Palace :/

BokehKing

Banned
Can you solo the ishtar sink nightfall now?

Is that door dink-bot has to hack going to keep giving me issues? I don't even care about beating it I just want to do my eris bounty of 10 ultra kills

Can you solo the ishtar sink nightfall now?

Is that door dink-bot has to hack going to keep giving me issues? I don't even care about beating it I just want to do my eris bounty of 10 ultra kills

Yes you can still solo it.

For the door part, you need to leave an enemy alive and go down there are kill it. If not, the door will reset from the beginning. So you can still stay up at the top and snipe, you just have to be down there when the last enemy in the wave is killed.

mfn_pie

Sorry about last night DGAF. Fell asleep in my chair and woke up to a bunch of invitations to play. Thanks for thinking of me.

mfn_hawk is the best hawk.

NinjaBoiX

Hi guys.

I just started playing this yesterday and I have a few basic questions. I've tried looking at the wiki but it didn't really answer my questions:

- what are/how do I access the different mission types? Daily story/strikes, nightfall missions, etc, do these just appear on the map automatically or do I have to download them?

- can you give me a brief overview of levelling and upgrading system? What is the difference and applications of glimmer, spin metal, engrams, etc?

- what is the deal with these "orbs of light" that it keeps telling me I've generated?

Basically, I'm having a blast playing (I'm a level 6 warlock right now) but I'm a little overwhelmed by the intricacies of the game.

Also, my PSN name is the same as my handle if anyone wants to add me (PS4), I'll be looking to do raids at some point so it'll be cool to tackle them with fellow gaffers!

Anybody want to do a little Crucible? 1 spot open for a little Clash action, not sure how long this train will keep chugging but trying to keep it on the tracks, lol.

edit: and boom goes the derail dynamite. This is all Unstable's fault! Not sure if Raybunzy, Gaz and/or Valy were still going to play.

Great games everyone, that was a ton of fun. A rather obscene train of destruction minus a couple bumps in the road. Dominating full teams using all Necrocasms and Eidolon Ally's was way more entertaining than I ever thought possible.

Deku Tree

Hi guys.

I just started playing this yesterday and I have a few basic questions. I've tried looking at the wiki but it didn't really answer my questions:

- what are/how do I access the different mission types? Daily story/strikes, nightfall missions, etc, do these just appear on the map automatically or do I have to download them?

- can you give me a brief overview of levelling and upgrading system? What is the difference and applications of glimmer, spin metal, engrams, etc?

- what is the deal with these "orbs of light" that it keeps telling me I've generated?

Basically, I'm having a blast playing (I'm a level 6 warlock right now) but I'm a little overwhelmed by the intricacies of the game.

Also, my PSN name is the same as my handle if anyone wants to add me (PS4), I'll be looking to do raids at some point so it'll be cool to tackle them with fellow gaffers!

1) different mission types appear on the map when you unlock them. You have to play though the story missions and level up to unlock the new missions. nightfall is level 30 and you should be level 30 to do it.

Although at this point you might as well level up and collect vanguard marks and rank up the vendors and wait for HoW to drop before spending marks in the tower because the new stuff will be level 32 right away.

2) check out hawkians guides in the OP for a very good overview of leveling and upgrading. Basically you can just play through the story missions and ignore it more or less until you hit level 20 though. Once you hit level twenty the system changes for leveling up. It is a good idea to pick up and do the daily bounties each day or each time you play to help you level up quicker.

3) orbs of light charge your super meter faster. The ones you generate go to your team mates. The ones they generate can be picked up by you.

Hi guys.

If you've started playing yesterday, just worry about the Story missions. You'll see Strikes appearing on the map as you progress through the story, play those too once you reach an appropriate level. Dailies, Weeklies and Nightfalls only become available once you hit level 20+, they'll appear in the left-hand side column on the Director (the map screen you use to select your destination while in orbit).

Leveling to level 20 is pretty basic. You earn XP, which levels up your subclass and your level. You get to unlock abilities and build your class. Once you hit level 20, you will still need to level up your sublcass, but leveling to level 32 (34 in a few weeks) is done through a mechanic called Light. Rare/Legendary/Exotic Armor pieces will contain a light stat. That light stat will allow you to reach a higher level. That, in turn, will allow you to tackle new challenges, such as the Dailies/Weeklies and Nightfalls. The former category becomes available at level 24, Nightfalls are level 30 (and will be 32 in a few weeks).

You'll still earn XP once you hit level 20, and each time you 'level up' you'll earn a Mote of Light. That's a currency you can use to buy class items and exotic engrams. Once HoW hits, you'll be able to trade them in for glimmer.

Glimmer is used for upgrading items and buying low-level stuff and gear from the Iron Banner, should you decide to play that later. The planetary materials, such as Spinmetal, are also used to upgrade items. You can collect them on planets or buy them from the Vanguard Quartermaster later in the game. Once you hit level 20+ and you start equipping Legendary gear, you'll need Ascendant/Radiant Shards/Energies as well, but that's a hurdle you'll cross when you get to it.

Engrams are loot containers, basically. At first you only get white ones. Greens will drop, which the Cryptarch can decrypt for you. Once you decrypt enough items, you'll be able to decrypt green quality items automatically. Blue Engrams and eventually purple and yellow ones will always need to be decrypted by the Cryptarch.

You generate orbs of light by using/killing enemies with your super. They're not of much use to you, but any teammates you play with can pick up those orbs to recharge their own super more quickly. In turn, you can use the orbs they generate to get your super back more quickly as well.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Hi guys.

Welcome dude! Funny seeing you here :)

I'm gonna be on destiny this evening if you're about. I have house / animal cleaning duties to finish first.

milkham

Hi guys.

The Daily is one of the story missions with new modifiers for example "The Archive" with Lightswitch (don't get your lights punched out) and Juggler (no ammo drops for the weapon you're currently holding) The Weekly and Nightfall are sort of the same thing but with Strikes instead of story missions and with way better rewards (most of the time.) They will all be available to you once you hit the right level on the left hand side of the screen when your ship is sitting in orbit.

Up til level 20 your leveling progress works like anything else, you kill things and unlock abilities. Your level beyond 20 is dependent on the "Light level" of your armor. You won't see the stat on armor available to you now but if you can inspect armor from the vendors in the tower you will see it. Filling in the upgrade bubbles on your gear will cost you glimmer and planetary materials (spinmetal, relic iron, spirit bloom, helium, ascendant shards for armor and ascendant energy for weapons.)
Engrams are items that you bring to the Cryptarch and he will turn them into guns, armor, motes of light, energy or ascendant shards.

You generate orbs with your super by killing things, they are collectible by other players to charge their super and vice versa.

If you find low level class items you like (hunter cloak, warlock arm band, titan butt towel,) hold onto them. Once you hit max level there are only a few you can get as drops

Hi guys.

The game will notify you once you've unlocked those activities. Daily missions and weekly strikes appear on the left side of the screen, once you click on "Destination" while in orbit. IIRC daily story missions are unlocked at level 22 (and I think you have to have completed the mission on the campaign) and Weekly Strikes are unlocked at 27.

From level 1 to 20 you level up as you normally would in any RPG, completing missions and bounties gives you XP towards your level. By collecting experience you unlock the orbs in the subclass you have equipped, which give you certain skills and bonuses. Excluding the class skill orbs, you can choose one from each column.

Once you hit level 20 armor with "+X Light" starts to drop, allowing you to go to 30 (32 with TDB and 34 with HoW). There's a post-20 leveling guide in the OP which is very informative.

Glimmer is the general currency in the game, and it will allow you to buy engrams, upgrade guns, etc.

Engrams are unidentified guns. You can take those to the cryptarch to get items.

Planetary materials, weapon parts, etc. are used to upgrade armor and guns. Each node requires a certain amount of XP to fill, and then glimmer and mats to purchase.

Orbs of light are used to refill your special attack bar. The ones you generate can be picked up by your teammates to refill their super. It encourages co-operation and the use of special abilities

Raybunny

Hi guys.

1 - When you are in orbit you have: Planets, on the left side the daily missions + special events + nightfall and weekly. On the right side you have the vanguard strike lists with different levels and the crucicle (PVP) list where you chose the type of pvp you want to play.

Many activities have automatic matchmaking like the weekly, pvp, vanguard strike and all the strikes in each planet so you do not need a pre-made group.

2 - All items level as you use them. And you unlock their perks with glimmer and specific items like helium, relics, etc... After level 20 items start to have Light and that will be your main focus starting that point. More light, more you will be powerful against the dark forces ( basically everything that moves).

3 - Orbs of light are rewards for using your super powers and you are rewarded more obs the better you use your super (more kills generate more orbs limited up to 9/10). A guardian will generate orbs for other guardians. That means you wont be able to use yours.

Welcome newly guardian. You do not need to be afraid of anything just kick ass. Start thinking about raiding after you reached level 28. But since the vendors will sell you level 31 items, will be easier for you as a 31 to do them.

If you have more questions feel free to ask.

Rhaegar

Hi guys.

Welcome! I'll try to explain a few things (and others can feel free to add on or clarify)

1). Mission types: The various mission types you hear us refer to (daily mission, weekly heroic, nightfalls, etc) all open up once you hit level 20. This will probably happen around the time you finish the story missions once (earlier if you are doing a bunch of bounties before that). They will automatically appear on The Director (fancy name for the map of the solar system you use to select your mission).

2). The leveling system is a little convoluted, but essentially you level up to level 20 just getting regular experience points. After level 20, you advance in "light levels" up to a current max of light level 32. To do this, you need to equip better and better armor that has "light level" points assigned. For example, right now the vanguard or crucible vendors sell armor that has light +33 stats, that if equipped and fully upgraded get you to light level 31. Currently, to hit max light level of 32 you would need to have a full set of armor obtained from the second raid (Crota's End) that comes with the first DLC. That will actually change with the second DLC releasing on May 19th, where you'll have a way to upgrade any legendary or exotic level armor (which you'll start having access to once you high level 20) to reach full light level (which will be 34 on the next DLC).

3). The materials (glimmer, spin metal, engrams, etc): Glimmer is just money. You will use it while purchasing armor or weapons and also while upgrading those. There are some other things you can purchase with it, but these will be introduced during your play through of the story for the most part. Spinmetal, helium, spirit bloom and relic iron are materials that are each found only on one planet and are used to upgrade armor for the most part. Used to be that we had to run around the planets and farm these, but now you can buy them once you start earning vanguard or crucible marks by doing advanced level PvE or PvP stuff. Don't worry too much about these just yet, you'll probably find the stuff you need until after you hit level 20. Engrams are just objects you pick up during missions that you can bring back to the cryptarch in the tower. He'll then decrypt them and give you a random weapon or armor. The level of the found object is indicated by the color of the engram (white are commons, green are uncommons, blue are rare and purple are legendary).

You'll hear us talk about ascendant or radiant shards or energy a lot too. These are materials you get from doing things like the daily story mission, or public events (random objectives that pop up while you're doing patrol missions) or most importantly raids. These will not be important at all until you are past level 20 and trying to get up your light level. Shards are used to upgrade armor (ascendant used for armor from vanilla Destiny and the first raid, Vault of Glass; radiant used to upgrade Crota's End armor). Energies are used to upgrade weapons with the same breakdown.

3). Orbs of light: These are generated when you do some particularly awesome thing like killing a grip of enemies with your super, etc. Other guardians can pick them up to significantly cut down on the amount of time before they can use their super. These are fun little perks, but for the most part not strategically important at all until you get to the most advanced difficulty content.

4). Raids: I know you didn't ask about them, but I feel like it's important to clue you in early. These are the most advanced (and fun) PvE content in the game. There are currently 2 raids: Vault of Glass was released with vanilla Destiny and Crota's End released with the first DLC, The Dark Below. You can probably start running Vault of Glass at light level 26 and Crota at light level 30. They are 6 person activities with lots of puzzle solving, teamwork and challenging boss fights. Truly like nothing else in the game. Not only are they a blast to work through with a good team, but also give you chances to obtain the best armor and weapons in the game. You have to put together your own fire team of 6 players to complete these, which can be daunting at first, but definitely make the effort. You can find groups here really easily if you're on PS4, or use sites like destinylfg.net (which I often do on Xbox One). One of the posters here, Hawkian, also holds weekly newbie raids to teach the mechanics in a stress-free environment. Once you reach that point, definitely consider signing up for one.

Finally...

5). Community: This is what really makes Destiny (and DestinyGAF) so special. This game encourages cooperation, exploration and shared experiences. If you have friends IRL playing the game, great! If not, no worries, because DGAF has your back. The folks here are super helpful and unlike some Community OTs tend to be really welcoming to new players. So if nothing I posted makes sense, just ask again or ask for a link to explain any mechanics. Once you get in the thick of the game things will start making sense, I think. And if not, in 2 weeks with the new DLC release a lot of these systems will actually get a little simpler, so you can always wait it out while playing the story missions!

Kal_El

Hi guys.

Start doing bounties as soon as they are availible they will help you level up faster. Great choice picking Warlock as main. You'll go far Guardian.

NinjaBoiX

Thanks a lot peeps, questions well and truly answered. So basically, just crack on with the main missions and keep all my upgrade materials until later on. Cool.

This game has got me good man, I haven't really played games at all in the last year (moved to a new city, been super busy and stuff) but I think I'm rediscovering my love of vidya games!

Hope to see you guys online and I'll be posting in here fairly regularly. :p
Welcome dude! Funny seeing you here :)

I'm gonna be on destiny this evening if you're about. I have house / animal cleaning duties to finish first.
Cool man, I'll probably be on. Won't be playing too late as I've got a mega early start tomorrow but hopefully we can get an hour or so in!

No mic as of yet though, I'll try and pick on up next week.

Rhaegar

Thanks a lot peeps, questions well and truly answered. So basically, just crack on with the main missions and keep all my upgrade materials until later on. Cool.

This game has got me good man, I haven't really played games at all in the last year (moved to a new city, been super busy and stuff) but I think I'm rediscovering my love of vidya games!

One of us, one of us!

Cool man, I'll probably be on. Won't be playing too late as I've got a mega early start tomorrow but hopefully we can get an hour or so in!

No mic as of yet though, I'll try and pick on up next week.

Welcome! Hope you enjoy your stay (and the game). This community has always been very active but it's picked up again quite a lot in anticipation of the new content release so you should have a lot of opportunities to find experienced raid groups, etc. Sometimes the easiest way to learn all of Destiny's zany details is to hang out in a party chat and talk with "the elders" around here.

As for a mic, a lot of people including myself enjoy the Sony Gold Wireless headsets. Good mic and sound quality and a custom audio profile for Destiny you can download that makes the game sound even more fantastic than normal.

RetroMG

Welcome! It's a great game, and this board is a great community, so always feel free to post if you have a question or need a hand running something. Or if you just enjoy bird-induced madness.

Lnkn52

Good morning everyone, and remember to wish your mom, wife and sister a happy mother's day.

This Hawk train seems to be still rolling, I just might have to switch clans.

noomi

Kadey = Hawkey
Noomi = Hawki

How will you be able to tell us apart in voice chat?!?!?!

So I looked over all those vendor factions weaps......ehhh.....

Naaaooooooo, leave it in there... and then sleep. lol

Oops, too late man! And you missed the ~. :p In Portuguese "no" has to be written "não" otherwise the sound is too different.

Anyone got a HM VOG raid going? give me a shout.

I've already done it on both my chars, but Due might want to do it. And if you need someone to join in to make a whole group I can do it.

Just a question, do weapons upgrade in raids?

Namikaze1

Good morning everyone, and remember to wish your mom, wife and sister a happy mother's day.

This Hawk train seems to be still rolling, I just might have to switch clans.
nFSebim.gif

Anybody want to do a little Crucible? 1 spot open for a little Clash action, not sure how long this train will keep chugging but trying to keep it on the tracks, lol.

edit: and boom goes the derail dynamite. This is all Unstable's fault! Not sure if Raybunzy, Gaz and/or Valy were still going to play.

Great games everyone, that was a ton of fun. A rather obscene train of destruction minus a couple bumps in the road. Dominating full teams using all Necrocasms and Eidolon Ally's was way more entertaining than I ever thought possible.

Whelp, I'm starting to get a feel for what ToO is going to look like. Three man pain trains, and then the rest of us. Played a quick skirmish match last night, and lost 500 to 5000. With six people, there's a chance to be carried, or a chance to at least find a weak player on the other team to balance things.

Think I'll join the usual reset crew this tuesday to prepare for HoW stuff next week. Enjoyed my time away from Destiny and even managed to clear some backlog, but its time to fall off the wagon again. Witcher 3 can wait until next month.

I've already done it on both my chars, but Due might want to do it. And if you need someone to join in to make a whole group I can do it.

I think they're full now but if there's a spot left I wouldn't mind a quick HM VoG, just to get a 4th FB and piss you off even more :p

I think enemies in raids don't give experience (and are useless towards completion of bounties) so I don't think so. Might be wrong though.

Oops, too late man! And you missed the ~. :p In Portuguese "no" has to be written "não" otherwise the sound is too different.

No they dont upgrade bro

Deku Tree

Whelp, I'm starting to get a feel for what ToO is going to look like. Three man pain trains, and then the rest of us. Played a quick skirmish match last night, and lost 500 to 5000. With six people, there's a chance to be carried, or a chance to at least find a weak player on the other team to balance things.

Everyone gets matched up against a really good team sometimes. The worst is when you go down early and then you MM teammates just quit right away. It's pretty easy to get a come from behind win in skirmish if the score isn't too crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom