• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT20| HoW Comes, No Raid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serious question: why do you guys read the Gaming side stuff? Anytime I wander over there it's just not a great conversation. That's the whole advantage of a community like this, elevate the discourse amongst a knowledgeable subgroup. Only thread I tried posting in was the MM debate but it was pretty futile. Just repeating the same points ad naseum to a revolving door of people who hadn't read through any of the preceding hundreds of posts.

Not trying to hate on Gaming at all, just honestly curious what DGAF members get out of the interactions.

Midas

Serious question: why do you guys read the Gaming side stuff? Anytime I wander over there it's just not a great conversation. That's the whole advantage of a community like this, elevate the discourse amongst a knowledgeable subgroup. Only thread I tried posting in was the MM debate but it was pretty futile. Just repeating the same points ad naseum to a revolving door of people who hadn't read through any of the preceding hundreds of posts.

Not trying to hate on Gaming at all, just honestly curious what DGAF members get out of the interactions.

Good question. And it's always the usual suspects, who have to tell everyone how bad Destiny is. I mostly wonder why the feel like they need to waste their time on it.

am posting a thread later today for the house of wolves reveal. is nothing fancy but i did put some time into it in an effort to weed out the inevitable drive by posts. i think people are less likely to do that if a thread looks somewhat professional.

that aside, it's unfortunate to see a site that's supposed to pride itself on 'civil discourse', or at least maintain somewhat serious discussion degenerate into the same arguments whenever this game is mentioned. i feel like we can't even criticize the game anymore because it's not negative enough.

noomi

That's a fair question, I spend some time on the gaming side but don't post there nearly as much as I do here. There are some great threads and OT's there and that is where I typically get my most up to date info on gaming.

I try to stay out of Destiny bashing threads because I don't want to get into an argument with anyone over something stupid. It's a just a bit hard sometimes to lay back and watch people bash something we love and are passionate about :/ You feel the need to defend it

Deku Tree

GlamFM is in full defense force mode over there. Too many DGAf members have gotten banned in Destiny bashing gaming threads. Your right there is no point. And your description of how the threads go sounds about right too. And other than Ghaleon it sometimes seems like most of the GAF mods are on board the "Destiny is the worst" train also even though they may try to be impartial.

I usually stay out of those Destiny bash threads. But I do look at gaming side and they do have some decent topics over there. When I see a Destimy thread sometimes I just say my point and then try to avoid all the repeat drive by trash posting. And If there are new players asking about the game I try to direct them to the community thread.

i don't feel any sort of obligation to defend destiny, but i don't like it when misinformation is being spread. i refuse to "retreat" to this thread because a few posters elsewhere can't handle "yet another destiny thread". i didn't sign up for GAF to join a clique.

i'd like to have serious discussion about the game - whether that pertains to its numerous flaws, its gradual improvements or what's necessary for its future - but it always ends up retreading the same arguments we've seen since august.

i remember way back before e3 2014 how turned off i was about destiny. the sight of it bothered me because i didn't understand why it was this big thing. but instead of stinking up every thread with my feelings and ignorance, i chose to seek out more information.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=832594

my post here was initially negative before i edited it.

i don't really get it. there are topics i'm either sour about or no longer interested in and i figured that i'd be doing everyone a favor by staying out of it, especially if my opinion is somewhat outdated. maybe i ought to drive by more threads though. it wasn't that long ago that i was known for being good at complaining.

ich00

Meh, I feel like it's not even worth posting over in that other thread. There's no one who wants to have a reasonable conversation.

Thing that I don't get is that some people bashing the game have spent 100's of hours in it and now feel ripped off because a 3 second clip that show up in a trailer from 2 years ago costs extra to get. If you've spent 100's of hours in a game, shouldn't you feel like you got your money's worth?

I've already bought the DLC and even if I didn't yet I probably would, just to be able to experience the new content. Even at the $150.00 I spent to get the dinkelbot edition, I feel I've got what I paid for back. Sure the game isn't perfect and there's plenty to not like, however overall it's a fun game to play.

E92 M3

Nothing wrong about criticizing Destiny or Bungie (do it myself quite often), it's just a matter of not being a troll about it.

On another note, gorgons chest was quite the bitch last night. It barely gave any exotics at all - 1 one Plan C in 18 openings. Did Bungie accidentally nerf the chest, too?

:lol

Namikaze1

Destiny sucks! You all suck! These threads are 95% people looking for raid groups! Where's Old Chicago, Bungie!? Where's the 4k 60FPS PC version?!

/s

Any raiders raiding VoG HM later?

I like the Show Off Your Setup and Best TV for Gaming threads. And I like all games on one board. Both sides of the coin need each other to be whole.

Waldini

I like the idea of Bungie providing more variation in armors.

VoG, Crota, PoE, IB and ToO armor sets all get you to 34. Still, getting them should not be so easy. There should be certain objectives ...

VoG Armor Upgrade requirement;
- Hold the Relic for 30 minutes
- Destroy 25 Harpies with the Relic during the Templar Encounter
... or something like that. That way, players who do not WANT to pick up the Relic are forced to use it.

Some goes for Crota's End, make people use the Sword... I've carried so many people through both Raids and I was always the guy to use the Relic/Sword because others failed and did not know how to use both. I spend 2~3 hours on Atheon/Crota because people failed.

welcome

cW689QX.gif

LOL i just noticed the gjallarhorn

shermas

notsureifserious.gif

Boot engram can't turn into class item.
Titan's don't wear cloaks.

You high bro? :p

Warlock picked up boot engram.. rolled into something called "mark of contention." Maybe my lamest Rahool moment ever bc of how badly I wanted the boots.

Manp

GlamFM is in full defense force mode over there. Too many DGAf members have gotten banned in Destiny bashing gaming threads. Your right there is no point. And your description of how the threads go sounds about right too. And other than Ghaleon it sometimes seems like most of the GAF mods are on board the "Destiny is the worst" train also even though they may try to be impartial.

I usually stay out of those Destiny bash threads. But I do look at gaming side and they do have some decent topics over there. When I see a Destimy thread sometimes I just say my point and then try to avoid all the repeat drive by trash posting. And If there are new players asking about the game I try to direct them to the community thread.

i love this game as the next guy in this thread and i play it daily and still i can't really say i can't see where the hate comes from. from bungie's attitude towards the community to the shenanigans they pulled on us.
just saying... i really want to stay as far as possible from this kind of topics

btw this seems like a good place like another to post my solo normal CE run: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9wTKoqIAWn1KgeKz4n0QXodKQZbHJ-TD

:)

patchday

VoG, Crota, PoE, IB and ToO armor sets all get you to 34. Still, getting them should not be so easy. There should be certain objectives ...

... or something like that. That way, players who do not WANT to pick up the Relic are forced to use it.

Some goes for Crota's End, make people use the Sword... I've carried so many people through both Raids and I was always the guy to use the Relic/Sword because others failed and did not know how to use both. I spend 2~3 hours on Atheon/Crota because people failed.

This is Bungie we're talking bout. They're the experts at adding lots of work and barriers. That's the one area I'm 100% sure they got covered. Wouldn't be surprised if we had to wait once a week for Xur to bring some new upgrade material and there's a random chance layered on top of that if he's bringing the upgrade for the piece you're looking for

Deku Tree

This is Bungie we're talking bout. They're the experts at adding lots of work and barriers. That's the one area I'm 100% sure they got covered. Wouldn't be surprised if we had to wait once a week for Xur to bring some new upgrade material and there's a random chance layered on top of that if he's bringing the upgrade for the piece you're looking for

That's the kind of game this is. There is going to be time gates to progress.

Waldini

That's the kind of game this is. There is going to be time gates to progress.

True. However they also claimed that it shouldn't be THAT hard to equip your new gear this time around.

I feel used now anyway. When VoG was still being done I collected most of the VoG gear and upgraded it. 2 weeks ago I decided to dismantle everything. Because, what's the use in keeping inferior gear anyway? When I saw the quick HoW teaser I was pissed.

Still, before HoW arrives I'm going to run the Weekly's. Just to make sure I've got a shit-ton of Strange Coins to buy new HoW gear/material.

Not doing Crota again. Sick and tired of getting materials when the only thing I need is the Hunger. Smart Raid rewards huh? Suuuuuuuuuuuuuure.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<3

Kyne

I like this idea. I wish you had a choice of which end game armor you could use.... a choice of aesthetics, more so than whatever will get you to 32.

Homeboyd

Just that one picture of VOG armor at 34 has single-handedly revived VOG. EVERYONE is wanting to run full VOG runs again. This is great.

One of my busiest days at work for the year. Gonna have to either keep a close eye on this thread, twitter, or just wait til I get home.

Feels bad. :(

Deku Tree

Hey what if Xur can either show up in the Queens Bay or in the Tower and only one of them per week and you have to check both in order to find Xur? Dem' loading screens!

Yeah I know we all check online first anyway just saying...

Lnkn52

Hey what if Xur can either show up in the Queens Bay or in the Tower and only one of them per week and you have to check both in order to find Xur? Dem' loading screens!

Yeah I know we all check online first anyway just saying...

I hope that space that's in front of the speaker is some sort of teleportation to the reef. But yes, not excited of loading in to the tower and the reef.

Jaeyden

If you've spent 100's of hours in a game, shouldn't you feel like you got your money's worth?

No.

Just because a game can "push the right buttons" to get you to play it more doesn't mean that there is necessarily intrinsic value in it. I have about 100 hours in DA:I and feel like I've gotten 15 times more of my "money's worth" than Destiny.....which sadly I have about 15 times as many hours in. Destiny is a fun game and the actual gameplay is far and beyond some of the best ever of it's kind but if it wasn't for my clan and people that I play the game with I never would have stuck around in Destiny for as long as I have. The content just isn't there. The vast majority of people shitting up that Gaming side thread are bitching about Destiny's lack of content, the money they spent on the game and the fact that Bungie have trickle fed anything new into the game. I mean they can't even be bothered to do new bounties FFS. Destiny plus these two DLC's cost me £85, that's roughly $130. Have I gotten my money's worth? I suppose that is yet to be seen but I don't have high hopes for HoW considering there is no 6 man content and one of the big selling points is that you can upgrade VoG gear. Cool, I guess, but even as good as VoG is I don't think that "feature" of the new DLC is going to put more value into my 86th completion of that raid.

Daemul

I agree with Manp. As much as I love the game I cannot say that it doesn't deserve the hate. Many of the games biggest bashers were on its hype train prior to release and defended it from any criticism because they believed Bungie would deliver, and they're the ones who ended up getting burnt the most by the games shortcomings and I don't blame them at all for being bitter.

Honestly, I have no obligation to defend the game just because I've played it a lot and Bungie haven't yet earned the right to expect my defense, so until they do (if ever) I'll continue to step aside and let people kick at them.

ERMint13

This is an extremely stupid question but what determines who holds the flag in PvP.

I thought it was Grimoire but that doesn't seem to be the case.

True. However they also claimed that it shouldn't be THAT hard to equip your new gear this time around.

I feel used now anyway. When VoG was still being done I collected most of the VoG gear and upgraded it. 2 weeks ago I decided to dismantle everything. Because, what's the use in keeping inferior gear anyway? When I saw the quick HoW teaser I was pissed.

Still, before HoW arrives I'm going to run the Weekly's. Just to make sure I've got a shit-ton of Strange Coins to buy new HoW gear/material.

Not doing Crota again. Sick and tired of getting materials when the only thing I need is the Hunger. Smart Raid rewards huh? Suuuuuuuuuuuuuure.

<3
I fear you tricked yourself, honestly. VoG weapons like Vision of Confluence and (from what I hear) Fatebringer are still entirely viable at this very moment, even in Crota's End. Hell, I still have pre-DLC Vanguard heavy weapons that I'll use in a pinch that still work really well. The only real need for the updated damage weapons are in Hard Mode CE and Iron Banner.

Waldini

I fear you tricked yourself, honestly. VoG weapons like Vision of Confluence and (from what I hear) Fatebringer are still entirely viable at this very moment, even in Crota's End. Hell, I still have pre-DLC Vanguard heavy weapons that I'll use in a pinch that still work really well. The only real need for the updated damage weapons are in Hard Mode CE and Iron Banner.

O, sorry. Forget to add that I STILL have almost every VoG weapon. My bad! Still missing the Praetorian Foil. I only got rid of the armor pieces. Got rid of them because I assumed they had no further use. I loved the look of the armor though. Crota End gear is ... *yuck*

The Abyss + Fatebringer = cake.

The Fang of Ir Yut is an excellent weapon. I just wished it was full-auto. Hurts my finger after a while. Can't beat Vision of Confluence, thats for sure.

Can't wait to see how the PoE gear looks like. The Fallen look high-tech enough and their armor looks streamlined. Whereas Crota's Armor looks raw and bulky.

Can't wait to put that Retarted-Titan-Helm back in the Vault. God, the uglyness is real on that one.

We should have a rant day like Reddit does. It's a funny read.
GJALLERHORN DROPS FOR SOMEONE IN MY FIRETEAM WHO ALREADY HAS 5. EVERYTHING IS AWFUL AND LIFE IS HORRIBLE. YOU BETTER NOT FUCK ME OVER, REMAINING 2 NIGHTFALLS I HAVE YET TO DO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom