• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT20| HoW Comes, No Raid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deku Tree

everybody's hustling

Apparently I could get more than $900 USD for my Destiny PSN account.

This account has nothing on mine.

Me:
eHaZoVt.jpg

Not that I'm selling it.

WipedOut

Goooood lord. I wouldn't level a new class and max both subclasses for anything less than $1000.00. Getting to 20 is terrible enough, but maxing both subclasses???? You crazy.

I have gone from having one of each class, to 3 hunters back to one of each class. At this point I have perfected power leveling a character to level 30 baring that they have the armor in the vault.

shit, if somebody wanted to pay for my account i would have sold it instead of deleted it. then again, you can't change the name on ps4 so it would have been a bad idea.

oh well. those 4 ghorns can rest in piece.

After playing Halo 2 again from MCC. I realized it sucks. And it was only nostalgia keeping it in favor.

Also Hawkmoon sucks, but looks amazing.

everyday math
everything sucks
(Today, 10:22 AM)

Destiny is by far my most played game of all time and also one of my favorite games, period. But at the same time I'm probably the most outspoken Scrota critic on NeoGaf. Destiny has such extreme highs and lows but that nuance is hard to talk about when people are expected to take extreme positions, "for us or against us" kinda thing.

dude, I remember when you finally got HM scrota off your back. that weekend you and team Epix Sax spend half a day playing the epic sax song and grabbing all the gaffers who havnt finished it yet. seems like you were about to give up and then became the go to guy. as horrivble as HM scota is, it gave you a new lease on life.

*snip*

Also Hawkmoon sucks, but looks amazing.
O_O
you hush your mouth!
hush it!

i'm guessing you leveled it and still feel that way?
if somebody wanted to pay for my account i would have sold it instead of deleted it. then again, you can't change the name on ps4 so it would have been a bad idea.

oh well. those 4 ghorns can rest in piece.

everyday math
everything sucks
(Today, 10:22 AM)
;___;
did you misspell "peace" intentionally?....

image.php

I mean I assume another might be front and center on your icon...

I myself logged over 999+ hours playing Pokémon X apparently according to the game same file.
Tyrantrum Is my favorite Pokemon sadly someone got that avatar before me.

I love Pokemon, but only ever caught all the Pokémon in Blue. Don't have the patience anymore.

That's my main issue: it seems very clear that we won't understand each other well when trying to communicate. Nothing wrong with that, different people can and will feel differently but I don't see much upside in pretending otherwise (i.e. trying to convince people to feel differently).

Makes a lot of sense. Honestly that's why I don't bother posting there, I fully realize my experiences with Destiny are out of the norm, so to speak. So many people want raid MM because they don't have 6 people to play with, whereas I'm super bummed about PoE primarily because it's only 3-man (for now anyway) and I have waaaay too many people I want to play with...

I guess our reset raids can still be groups of 6 but a lot more "2 teams of 3 ala NFall and WHS." Even with more incentive to run VoG, which is great, it's just not the same.

I noticed hydruxxo was banned recently, but have no idea if it was Destiny related at all.

Some posters in the Gaming thread really like the game but I've never seen them post here. Hopefully more Gaffers feel welcome to come hang out and chat about all the things we love and hate without it degenerating into Us vs. Them, Fanboys vs. Haters.

Destiny is by far my most played game of all time and also one of my favorite games, period. But at the same time I'm probably the most outspoken Scrota critic on NeoGaf. Destiny has such extreme highs and lows but that nuance is hard to talk about when people are expected to take extreme positions, "for us or against us" kinda thing.

What Hydruxxo was banned?! That's sad, he was a cool dude. I just saw him post the other day, I thought.

I usually try to make a positive post in each destiny thread created over there but that's about it.

Deku Tree

Pretty funny they didn't reply to that guy looking for the Thorn bounty, who was also the only person who replied at all.

Really looking forward to HoW reveal today, especially upgrades. I hope we don't have to complete PoE to be able to upgrade our weapons.

Maybe they talked to that guy via email. IDK

dude, I remember when you finally got HM scrota off your back. that weekend you and team Epix Sax spend half a day playing the epic sax song and grabbing all the gaffers who havnt finished it yet. seems like you were about to give up and then became the go to guy. as horrivble as HM scota is, it gave you a new lease on life.

Oh Epic Sax train was awesome, it's moments like that that make destiny truly special.

snip
Also Hawkmoon sucks

Preach it

stb

I don't get the outrage over Reef screenshots from 2013. How is this news to anyone? For casual players, ok, I guess I can see why this is surprising, but I have higher expectations from more serious players who follow a game. It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that TDB and HoW content was lurking in the original game files or was in a near complete stage prior to release. We have had those discussions since day 1 when the game released and certain areas we could glitch into from the Alpha/Beta didn't make the final cut. Its like they are just making any excuse to whine again.

Yeah, I Grandpa Simpson-ed that thread.

Sensational tweet from games "journalist" was just the drop of blood into the piranha tank.

People are just looking for an excuse to rail at this point, when the only reasonable response is "if you don't like it, don't buy it".

Impala26

Tyrantrum Is my favorite Pokemon sadly someone got that avatar before me.

I love Pokemon, but only ever caught all the Pokémon in Blue. Don't have the patience anymore.

Shiny Hunting in Pokémon = Exotic Hunting in Destiny

Pretty much at least--you're very similarly to the mercy of RNG. The main difference being you have essentially infinite shots at shinies rather than X number of shots per week.

Gen 6 (X&Y) had debatably the BEST fossil/dino pokes of the series.

GutZ31

-SNIP-

Destiny plus these two DLC's cost me £85, that's roughly $130. Have I gotten my money's worth? I suppose that is yet to be seen but I don't have high hopes for HoW considering there is no 6 man content and one of the big selling points is that you can upgrade VoG gear. Cool, I guess, but even as good as VoG is I don't think that "feature" of the new DLC is going to put more value into my 86th completion of that raid.

Filthy casual, get on my level!
122 clears, WUT!

On a more serious note, I agree that it is very much a wait and see approach to the question of value for our many spent.
There would be some redemption of they just up and said "We know some of you had hoped for a new raid, and we couldn't, in good conscience give you a bad experience with an unfinished/tested raid. So, we are taking some extra time to let it bake in the oven, and will get back to you all when its ready. Oh yea, this one will be on the house."
Give or take that last part, but they really need to come out and say that a raid is still planned or not. As well as how soon we could expect it.

Xbone people, we still need to kill Atheon NM and I'd like to get three HM Oracles/Templars done as well. Get me a shot at that Fatebringer.

Geez 900 for fully leveled Hahaha. It doesn't seem like anyone bought it so I doubt people are really willing to spend that much? But I could be wrong.

I've carried so many people through both Raids and I was always the guy to use the Relic/Sword because others failed and did not know how to use both. I spend 2~3 hours on Atheon/Crota because people failed.

Your team failed. Which means you all share that failure equally. If you have more experience and ability then it falls to you to help newer players understand the encounters and work together to correct any mistakes that caused wipes.

Win as a team, lose as a team.

Just because a game can "push the right buttons" to get you to play it more doesn't mean that there is necessarily intrinsic value in it.

I fully agree with your central point that "time spent \= value" but I also wouldn't remove my own agency from choosing to spend that time. I've always played Destiny for fun, the only buttons it's pushed are the same ones that motivated me to play any video game in my life.

But I want funny full cap rants. Whole page of them.

Sadly a few of our most esteemed full cap ranters are currently MIA. A certain Banned Belgian hasn't turned on his PS4 for weeks and the legendary GR-X is still mending his wounds while gathering his shit-posting-powers as we speak.

The final drop I needed from HM finally mine, I knew I would never have to run HM again. Thank God.

Call me crazy but I don't think these are the kind of "Exotic Acquisition Stories" Bungie was hoping for from Destiny.

"The encounter is so poorly designed I was relieved to never play it again." :p

Deku Tree

Bungie should give me back all my VoG armor that I sharded fully leveled at 30 light.

1) They made it obsolete.
2) Deej told us that Bungie planned to "lock in time" all Vault of Glass gear
3) my storage space was so small that I had no place to put this old and obsolete gear.
4) re-grinding sucks because the drop rates in VoG are abysmally low.
5) re-grinding means I would also have to re-level which sucks too

And now yesterday and today apparently we find out that you can be level 34 with Vault of Glass Armor contradicting what they previously told us.

stb

Last night's raid report, "Where the Fuck did Everyone Go" edition:

1) stb (PSN Berried_treasurE)
2) stb's pal (PSN Capt_Verde)
3) captscience (PSN captscience)
43) GRIP (PSN GriP17-)
54) Dave_6 (PSN DaveS78)
6) schwagger15 (PSN spyder_ur)
5) StereoType (PSN Haybro_)
6a) LTWood12? ich00? LTWood12 donated his spot to his pal T-44 Tick221 (GRIP's pal?)
6b) robdraggo (PSN robdraggo)

schwagger15's been MIA for about a month, and captscience was on vacation or something, so we were 2 short. Thanks to frequent guest raider StereoType for filling a slot.

1x NM CE full
- We couldn't round up a 6th despite having a dozen alts signed up, so we just started with 5.
- Abyss was really ugly, but we finished it with no wipes and either 2 or 3 left standing.
- Bridge wasn't too bad, but 5-manning it was weird, and it took us 2 wipes, I think.
- No noteworthy loot; I don't think anyone got that one piece of gear they were waiting for.

3x NM Deathsinger and Crota kill
- Tick221 hopped in at some point during this, so thanks, whoever you are.
- The DS runs were pretty standard fare
- captscience is normally our sword, so StereoType took up that mantle and did a bang-up job of it.
- The only one he didn't absolutely ace was when Crota *with one-R2's worth of life left* chased him all the way off the platform and killed him. We did oversoul and ogres, somehow did at least one more oversoul, and Capt_Verde finished Crota off the next time he went center.
- Misc exotics dropped, but nothing anyone needed.

1x HM VoG full HM Gorgon's chest 3x
- Tick221 had to bail, so robdraggo filled in
- CE took us longer than usual, so we opted to start at the Gorgon chest
- I managed to suicide with a rocket while "warming up" the chest, just as GRIP pulled a goddamn Hawkmoon out of it. That was MY HAWKMOON, you sonofabitch!

3x Atheon kill
- our one run through GK was easy, even though I died while guarding middle. There WAS a very strange lag incident where all the minotaurs stopped moving on our screen, but were still somehow sacrificing themselves at the conflix, and the portal ones just suddenly appeared rather than properly "teleporting" in. We managed to pull it out, though, because I think the timer was running the whole time.
- 1 or 2 wipes at Atheon due to random shenanigans (Atheon already "awake" as soon as we spawned in; insta-gibbed by hobs on "Mars"), but very smooth runs.
- robdraggo hit the loot jackpot, scoring 2 Vex and the SECOND FRIGGING HAWKMOON of the night, I think it was the last exotic he needed, so congrats!
- At this point, the only people to NOT get Hawkmoons *during the raids* among the "regular" raiders are myself, Capt_Verde, and StereoType.

I was disappointed that we had a hard time pulling a full team together, but once we got going it was fun as usual. A total waste of time from a progression standpoint for me, personally (and I think everyone but GRIP and robdraggo), but everyone seemed to have enjoyed themselves again this week.

Thanks to the group for continuing to do this; despite the repeat content and slower-and-slower progression/acquisition of goodies, I look forward to it every week!

Hi DGaf sorry to invade your gaming goodness.

With the new DLC coming out do we know if you have to be level 32+ to access it? I'm guessing the story content will be open but the social areas/new modes will probably be locked?

Is the game balanced as such where you can play with one character and still progress at a reasonable pace?

And finally how easy have the raids become now due to over levelling plus are the still cheesed most of the time for quick drops?

No such thing as invaders here. Everyone is welcome and encouraged to post! As for your questions:

-Nobody knows yet, but the Bungie stream at 2pm EST should answer some questions. I have to assume the new social areas will be mostly or completely open regardless of level. Pure speculation though.

-Absolutely balanced for one character. Many people have a happy, healthy Destiny relationship with that one special someone. Like you said, your drop chances will be limited but so will your expenses for leveling up gear.

-Common misconception about Destiny's Light Leveling system is that it's comparable to a traditional RPG where over-leveling is possible. In Destiny, your weapon damage does not increase whatsoever if your character's level is higher than the enemies level (e.g. going from Lv30 to Lv31 will not do more damage vs. Lv30 enemies). Only higher Attack rated weapons do more damage, e.g. a 331 Atk GHorn does more damage to all enemies than a 300 Atk GHorn.

Increasing light level will slightly reduce the incoming damage you take but only because of the higher Defense ratings on higher Light armor. Not a huge difference. On the flip side, being a single level below the enemies gives a huge ~32% penalty to both damage dealt and received. So reaching the same level as enemies in a raid makes an enormous difference but going above their level is negligibly important.

Light leveling might be the worst RPG-leveling system I've played. Aggressively counter-intuitive.

Homeboyd

Xbone people, we still need to kill Atheon NM and I'd like to get three HM Oracles/Templars done as well. Get me a shot at that Fatebringer.
I can help when I get off work, but it's probably late for you. We're planning on running 3x HM atheon tonight at some point but I can help with Oracles/Templar if needed. Love running the relic.

Rhaegar

I can help when I get off work, but it's probably late for you. We're planning on running 3x HM atheon tonight at some point but I can help with Oracles/Templar if needed. Love running the relic.

I'm still down for some VOG action tonight. Prefer Templar, but would jump in on Atheon as well.

Your team failed. Which means you all share that failure equally. If you have more experience and ability then it falls to you to help newer players understand the encounters and work together to correct any mistakes that caused wipes.

Win as a team, lose as a team.

I agree with this, last night's failed attempt at Atheon fresh in my memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom