• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT20| HoW Comes, No Raid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do you scarp materials?

I scarp because I carp.

When you have over 600 Shards/Energy it's just as easy to dismantle as deposit.

TOP OF PAGE FREE THUNDERLORD TO THE NEXT POSTER BELOW ME

hwICdPv.gif

I just realized something. Allowing you to easily upgrade old VoG gear to the max light level is not about inviting those of us who are playing now to re-grind VoG.

It's about inviting players who skipped TDB to jump back in and give them a path to the new level cap without also pissing off current players by making vendor gear better than current raid gear.

...? Current players can upgrade too tho.

blazeuk

Do we know what the PoE level will be?

If vendor gear takes us to 34, I'm guessing PoE/ToO gears will be up to 35?

They really should keep vendor gear at the same level as their main PoE/ToO/Raid gear, I know they want to make it special but it's ridiculous that everyone ends up looking the same when they have tons of vendor gear that goes ignored. I'd love to have my 3 characters wearing a different outfit from each faction but right now there's no point since I'd be stuck at 31.

Frenden

Banned
The thread is moving fast, but has anyone pointed out/discussed that legendary gear has no defense upgrade/planetary mat bubbles to fill in yet?

Like, woah.

They really should keep vendor gear at the same level as their main PoE/ToO/Raid gear, I know they want to make it special but it's ridiculous that everyone ends up looking the same when they have tons of vendor gear that goes ignored. I'd love to have my 3 characters wearing a different outfit from each faction but right now there's no point since I'd be stuck at 31.

you could still do that for any activity other than crota

thats the only place 32 is an advantage

but yeah i get what you're saying

I just realized something. Allowing you to easily upgrade old VoG gear to the max light level is not about inviting those of us who are playing now to re-grind VoG.

It's about inviting players who skipped TDB to jump back in and give them a path to the new level cap without also pissing off current players by making vendor gear better than current raid gear.

Probably multipurpose including that. Making players play VoG again/relevant and for those that skipped TDW. But will they (L29/L30) have any chance at HoW end game content, that's the question.

Kalamari

The thread is moving fast, but has anyone pointed out/discussed that legendary gear has no defense upgrade/planetary mat bubbles to fill in yet?

Like, woah.

Maybe Bungie wanted to reduce the amount of grinding to fully upgrade weapons and armor. I'm fine with the changes.

ElRenoRaven

Just got done watching the saved version of the stream. I've got to say I can't wait. Looking like Bungie are listening and making a lot of nice quality of life improvements.

But you don't have VoG gear anymore tho

Well, I don't, but I'm just got a helmet and a pair of boots for my titan/hunter respectively. And like I've mentioned in the past, with this change they're keeping old content relevant enough to run. There's a reason to do that now.

Deku Tree

Like, woah.

Yeah you only unlock perks. They got rid of all the upgrade defence/damage bubbles. But I think you still need planetary mats, weapons parts, and class armor parts.

Hey guys! Couldn't watch the stream. Anyone have a quick rundown of the news?

Everything is awesome! But on a serious note,

• Not losing progress on upgrades.
  • Upgrading VoG gears/weapons and CE. 300 straight to 365 with HoW endgame mat called Etheril or something. + like 1500 glimmer. That endgame mat can be obtained in IB, Nightfall and the 2 HoW endgame stuff
  • Upgrading anytime without Xur!
  • Making all old mats relevant with exchanges (shards to motes, shards to glimmer, etc)
  • Reforging!!!!! Reforge new legendaries at the gunsmith for 1 mote and some glimmer maybe?
  • PvP Endgame!

Dynamic Arena, i'll take with a grain of salt until I see it, but awesome!

Lol you and me both! One day hopefully, I just want a real chance to get at least one... Even more so now that we know old gear will remain relevant.
well, EJ took what was surely coming my way this week... thanks, bud!
just kidding... but it was still painful to see it

I wonder if Etheric Light drops will be so frustrating as the Radiant materials were for Crota.

It they drop in really low quantities, and being necessary for both armor and weapons, it suck.

but at least it won't only be available through one path. the etheric mats are going to be available in all end game activities.

We rip them to pieces when they mess up so I think it's fair we recognize they've done well here. I expected a slightly less punishing and ridiculous upgrade system but nothing remotely this user-friendly. Bravo, Bungie lurkers. You got the message.

I just hope Etheric Light isn't too rare of a drop. If it ends up being something you can only get 1-2 of a week, upgrading will take a pretty long time. Even then it'd be infinitely superior to waiting on Xur for the upgrade possibility, paying 1/3 the glimmer cap AND losing all progression.

Oh, and reforge came out of the blue. Sounds like the kind of thing we'd all love to have and they would stubbornly ignore. Really really positive surprises on that stream!

yeah, i feel the same way. like i was telling some friends, i'm gonna play the crap outta HoW!

Complete “Reef Reveal” Recap
Currently editing!
http://planetdestiny.com/complete-reef-reveal-recap/

Wow, some of these changes seem awesome. And bungie actually seems to have gotten off thier back sides and did some actual designing instead of just reskinning everything...

Actually kinda looking forward to this now. Also, do we not have the 3 damage circles at the end anymore do we? Is it just gonna be straight up one circle we need to fill up after second perk now?

Some things like reforging should have been there since the start tbh... Ah well, at least better late than never

Wish I kept: (insert tears of woe here)

AF19XLJAEB:DCOA"{OSICN"ANF or whatever it was
Shadow Price
Grim Citizen
Prudence (that one really hurts)
Pretty much any 300 apart from VoG gear I likely sharded

:(

Tears of woe

I still have Doctor Nope

now and forever

Nope

He'll fit nicely with my Good Doctor.

well, EJ took what was surely coming my way this week... thanks, bud!
just kidding... but it was still painful to see it

Oh man I feel awful, every time I open that chest a Horn pops out...
I have 5 Ghorns
Let me know next time you're at the CP and I'll try to not be there

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Kadey that audio

If that's what it sounded like the whole time I would have muted my TV or headphones.
Wow nice work

I almost always have music blasting, chatting with people offline, or doing other things while I'm playing.

Anyone up for weeklies? Going once.

I need hard Gorgons too if anyone hast it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hawkian quick, update the DGAF mood sine curve!

Damn you bungie, I'm in love with destiny all over again.
Fuck Yeah. Thats how you do it Bungie.
I'm so excited, I just can't hide it.

TcVWeDQ.gif
This is an apex... and a significant one since we technically haven't seen any of the actual gameplay content coming with this release yet.

It's nice to see missteps reversed in competent ways, and I think it's enjoyable to see so much that obviously came community feedback being explicitly implemented. Admonitions that Bungie simply doesn't care to, or care enough to, do this have of course fallen by the wayside, discarded until the next period of stagnation at which they can be worn proudly again.

Feels pathetic to admit, but these times have problems for me too now. I'm not sure I've ever talked to anyone who can relate to me about this, but having seen the ludicrous extremes an audience will go to, it's hard not to think mostly about how long we get until the next time Bungie is meant instead to be a malevolent force that would frankly prefer you stop playing their game and go step on some kittens. I've seen so much shit flung at this game, warranted and otherwise, that seeing credit given where due doesn't make me want to smile so much as sigh.

I don't really know how to snap out of that. Sorry ocean, I know you didn't ask me to lie down on the couch, lol.

Of course I agree with the general consensus on the reveals today, but here some of my thoughts, with some stuff I really hadn't seen discussed:
  • While upgrading all Legendary and Exotic gear to the new power plateau was a huge request and of course I support it, it does in large part put the kibosh on visual transmutation. Because of this change especially with regard to armor, we will see a lot more visual variety in endgame loadouts from here on out, which is great. However, while the legendary items I've hoarded are singing happily, the handful of beautiful, interestingly-named (but functionally useless) rares I've collected will still just be pretty yet useless items in my vault, probably until the day I stop playing. Sorry Stalker BNGL and Argus Deimatic, it just wasn't meant to be.
  • A silver lining from my perspective is that this approach is by a huge margin the more casual-friendly, and of course who doesn't want a Gen. 3 Fatebringer. It's also nice to think that if and when I do get a Praetorian Foil, I can actually use it (almost) immediately at endgame. This is potentially also the most elegant solution to the conceptual problem of "I can't believe that vendor gear I just bought is better than the raid gear I spent three months on." It won't be; but it (or any other gear you desire) can be by earning the upgrades to invest.
  • Currency exchange matrix is a welcome addition in more ways than the obivous ones. While making your old stockpiles of uselessness useful has major appeal, this affects future acquisitions too. Now, poor Nightfall payouts and materials from chests in VoG actually have an absolute value in terms that are always useful to some degree. So while 9 shards will never feel as good as the Exotic you want, at least you can wind up with something you will use in the end instead of getting the "null reward" feeling.
  • I'm very surprised by how many feature additions, especially being able to visit the Reef hub, are actually available to players who don't buy/own the DLC. Ultimately, while this decision will have almost no impact on my experience or that of anyone I play with, it's a very nice gesture and exactly the kind of hush puppy that Bungie must learn to pepper in throughout their postlaunch support. It's also a good reminder of the degree to which, regardless of the face value of each DLC release, Destiny's overall pricing model really isn't like any other game on the market right now.
  • The Devil You Know; eternally better than The Devil You Don't.
  • Unpopular opinion in response to the most common "concern" I've seen voiced: you don't want Etheric Light to be that common. I know the instinctual reaction is to want it for everything, immediately. But bringing every single item in your inventory and vault to endgame max should be a longer-term goal, not something you do to get out of the way. You should have to think about which item you really want to upgrade next each time you get one as a reward.

Wait so I can upgrade all of my exotics to the higher level cap without Xur on Day one of HoW?
Wow...
I think this is a great way to reward faithful players. We've played this game long enough to have the Exotic collections that we do, and we deserve to have our exotics be top-tier
well, everything but NLB
from Day 1.

[*]Unpopular opinion in response to the most common "concern" I've seen voiced: you don't want Etheric Light to be that common. I know the instinctual reaction is to want it for everything, immediately. But bringing every single item in your inventory and vault to endgame max should be a longer-term goal, not something you do to get out of the way. You should have to think about which item you really want to upgrade next each time you get one as a reward.
[/LIST]

i'm with you

there should be some actual playing of the game involved and not just everything day 1

not having to relevel anything is enough of a bonus

Stacey

Banned
Just dropped crux on crota hm, just need to lvl up eris another 1300 and the upgrade will be mine.

Today is a good day.

Apart from bungie charging for the queens wrath content which I got most for free months ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom