• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT25| The Taken Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most thorn users are scrubs who use it as a crux and as a result, they don't really try to aim well.

I've been outgunning 90% of thorn users using a scout rifle because every one of my shots is a head shot

I'll probably be one of the only ones to say it.
I don't like how much damage shotguns do in PvE.

VWQJ43w.gif

Mindlog

They just randomly decided to double the damage.
Then never talked about it again.
No incremental increase. No careful consideration of what it would do to certain encounters.

It's a silly way to balance the game.
I've said since before the PvP Nerf that Auto Rifles would eventually get a PvE buff. It has to do with clip size and TTK. If ARs can handle mobs they will do too much to players and it goes the other way as well. Just never expected Bungie to abandon weapon tuning so hard.
Can Ghaleon ban ppl? Asking for a friend...
I've had my Gjallarhorn since week 1 and we would have a better game if the Gjallarhorn's weapon damage were tuned as well.
You'd rather them be completely useless?
There's a vast chasm between completely useless and completely dominant.

No incremental increase. No careful consideration of what it would do to certain encounters.

I've had my Gjallarhorn since week 1 and we would have a better game if the Gjallarhorn's weapon damage were tuned as well.

P V E B A L A N C E

Shito

In a game that don't hesitate to throw 1253526252637 adds at you, who can all kill you in one hit if the modifiers so wish, I fail to see how this shotgun buff was not needed or a welcome change. ^^
Their range is the same, and we all know that in PVE being close to an enemy is the last place you want to be at. What it changed was that it made this range be somewhat fun again, and made the dynamic of the enemies that rush on you way better that what it was before. I don't want to go back to a world where I have to use a FR or my primary weapon on a rushing major captain...

SkylineRKR

G J A L L A R H O R N doesn't need a nerf. Other RL need a PvE buff. In PvP Horn is no biggie, there are better rockets with higher velo, BR and tripod. Its mediocre without Wolfpack.

Horn does to PvE what a rocket launcher which takes up an exotic slot and only has 8 or so shots should do. It wrecks at the expense of all your heavy ammo and possible suicide. Truth should get lightning bolts AoE or something. Use Truth in void burn and its rather pathetic right now.

They gave shotguns a PvE buff because they were absolutely useless prior to that. Shotguns feel perfect in PvE as they are right now.

Seeing a lot of posts about what is essentially theft... Just typing in certain numbers in various orders to get codes without buying cans. Ugh.

Yeah, if someone steals my legit code for this swill I bought I am going to be really fucking pissed.

GhaleonEB

I've said since before the PvP Nerf that Auto Rifles would eventually get a PvE buff. It has to do with clip size and TTK. If ARs can handle mobs they will do too much to players and it goes the other way as well. Just never expected Bungie to abandon weapon tuning so hard.

I think it's the best, most effective rebalance I've ever experienced in a game. I do think they thought about how it would alter encounters, from stealth Hunters closing ranks to take down powerful enemies quickly, to Titans just plowing through packs of enemies. It totally upended how entire encounters can play out, opens up new strategic options for everything from raids to strike bosses, and made an entire class of weapons valuable rather than disposable.

Fighting Cabal post-buff is one of the most enjoyable activities in the game. I will never grow tired of Phalanx jousting.

I don't think they mentioned it again because it worked so well out the gates they never needed to.

Kyoufu

For now, when Thorn gets nerfed they will flock to hawks and everyone will cry about how cheap it is to be killed with RNG bullets.

Not really. Hawkmoon doesn't place an obnoxious visual effect on you to put you off.

I have no problem facing Hawkmoon users. Thorn is a problem though.

Mindlog

They gave shotguns a PvE buff because they were absolutely useless prior to that. Shotguns feel perfect in PvE as they are right now.
I know what shotguns were like. I've played the game.
I also remember once upon a time when Fusion Rifles had a place.

The idea that FRs were mid-range and shotguns close doesn't work with Destiny. The gap between mid and close can be covered too quickly. *It really doesn't work when you screw over the entire class of weapons because the spread was too powerful for PvP. The spread can stay if the weapon was meant to deal with majors.

Here's what I would do. Decrease PvE shotgun impact and increase their RoF. Increase FR charge times and impact. Instead of shotgun being the solution for everything double down on their ability to deal with mobs. Make FRs the slow firing heavy hitters used to crush majors and ultras.

noomi

Noomi. You know how to do it up right. Respect. What type of drink did you have with that? I went with a Tecate.

If you have an open spot in the IB train tonight hit me up!

Oh man, I had a beer called "Whale of Wheat" which sadly is only available in Bermuda :( Such a good pairing too.

Fuck... now I'm hungry haha

As for IB, not sure if I'll have time tonight, I gotta pack since I'm going away for a few days with some friends. I'll probably miss ToO this weekend as well :*(

PuMa

Oh man, I had a beer called "Whale of Wheat" which sadly is only available in Bermuda :( Such a good pairing too.

Fuck... now I'm hungry haha

As for IB, not sure if I'll have time tonight, I gotta pack since I'm going away for a few days with some friends. I'll probably miss ToO this weekends as well :*(
I just had a beer called Lunch... With my lunch. 10/10 would pair again.

So the redbull site allowed me to enter my can code finally, it did say it was added on bungies side but in my code redemption it shows that code was never entered.

what a nightmare

Agree shotgun buff is the best they did. Carrying a shotgun is actually worth it now. Its excellent risk/reward.

It's one of the most rewarding weapon types to use in PvE. Running through mobs or up against majors/ultras and pumping them full of buckshot is so much fun.

vctor182

Suros became a problem when it was put on sale and everyone in crucible used it. Thorn became a problem when everyone started to use it after Suro's fall.

We have seen an entire weapon class be banished from the game because of one exotic, they will not do the same (I hope). When the Thorn "issue" gets addressed players will start to look for the next best gun, Hawkmoon is one of those candidates. Those 3 lucky bullets can make it a 2 hit or evene 1 hit kill, sure it's RNG based but when more than half of the enemy fireteam has a hawkmoon those chances to get 2 hit or 1 hit killed will only go up.
It's the same thing with Thorn, on a 1v1 you have a decent chance of winning against it but 2v1 it's another story.

Mindlog

Suros became a problem when it was put on sale and everyone in crucible used it. Thorn became a problem when everyone started to use it after Suro's fall.

We have seen an entire weapon class be banished from the game because of one exotic, they will not do the same (I hope). When the Thorn "issue" gets addressed players will start to look for the next best gun, Hawkmoon is one of those candidates. Those 3 lucky bullets can make it a 2 hit or evene 1 hit kill, sure it's RNG based but when more than half of the enemy fireteam has a hawkmoon those chances to get 2 hit or 1 hit killed will only go up.
It's the same thing with Thorn, on a 1v1 you have a decent chance of winning against it but 2v1 it's another story.
I'm sitting on 4 Pulse Rifles just waiting for the tuning.
Sad I'm going to have to retire Thorn since it was a favorite back in the six shot days.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
I got one of those Ash Factorys last night in IB. They any good? Should I waste motes on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom