• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT25| The Taken Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frenden

Banned
Two rank fives and a four IB-wise. I wanted the new class items.

All that playing this week and no Ghaleon's has dropped for me. It was the only OG IB weapon I never got.

Four Peruns, three Radeghasts in that span so far.

Monday I'll get the Titan to five. Hopefully it drops.

It's the three headshot kill archetype but can be rolled for full auto unlike Scholar. Full auto gives a buff to overall firerate if I remember right, so that would make the Ghaleon a bit better.

void666

Banned
Spent all my motes trying to get the ram. Got multiples of everything. Only one the ram with shitty stats. Fair enough.

Spent 600 motes last week trying to get the ram and the night hawk. Only got the night hawk. Told myself if I'd only buy 2 this week. Got 2 rams. When it rains........

Edit, was gaf down today or was my phone being shite?

Watching that makes me feel like I've inadvertently been taking part in an experiment.

I'd say people who buy,play, and enjoy games are in a constant state of experimentation. I'm sure 10 years ago game developers would have laughed at the idea of selling dlc because they wouldn't think anyone would buy it...now its par for the course. Saying that, I don't like it either. And his falshy music with catchy videos made my brain feel bad about it :(

So this guy is telling all of us that we are addicts to variable reward ratios and we are playing a Facebook f2p style
console sized DLC machine? Idk

I think that's a very skewed way of summarising what he said.

You don't agree that the rewards/rep systems in Destiny are designed to make you keep playing? That doing the Nightfall or a raid for the chance at an exotic or weapon isn't at its most basic a virtual slot machine?

I don't consider myself an addict, but not everyone who gambles is an addict either.

FyreWulff

I don't even get it. Destiny is standard unlock game design, and every single exotic is eventually guaranteed to be sold by Xur.

Versus TF2 where you can buy a random item package and the key that lets you open the random package you just bought as separate items.

Lunar FC

I don't even get it. Destiny is standard unlock game design, and every single exotic is eventually guaranteed to be sold by Xur.

Versus TF2 where you can buy a random item package and the key that lets you open the random package you just bought as separate items.

Pretty sure that is untrue.

I'd say people who buy,play, and enjoy games are in a constant state of experimentation. I'm sure 10 years ago game developers would have laughed at the idea of selling dlc because they wouldn't think anyone would buy it...now its par for the course. Saying that, I don't like it either. And his falshy music with catchy videos made my brain feel bad about it :(

I blame The Sims.

DLC in itself isn't a bad thing, imo. I have bought every Mass Effect DLC available to me, so I have no horse to get on. But, those DLC's were relatively cheap in comparison to Destiny's. £15 I think was the most any one cast.

I haven't pre-ordered TTK yet because I'm still in two minds about laying down £40 for this when I'll be buying MGS V, a full game, around the same time for almost exactly the same price. I'm still playing this game because of you guys and without you guys, the part of my brain that's saying 'fuck no' would win out, hands down.
Pretty sure that is untrue.

It is. None of the Elder Cipher exotics, Vex Mythoclast nor Necrochasm will ever be sold by Xur.

There are other weapons worth getting that aren't exotic though.

Deku Tree

I think that's a very skewed way of summarising what he said.

You don't agree that the rewards/rep systems in Destiny are designed to make you keep playing? That doing the Nightfall or a raid for the chance at an exotic or weapon isn't at its most basic a virtual slot machine?

I don't consider myself an addict, but not everyone who gambles is an addict either.

The rewards systems are absolutely designed to keep you playing, or to make you continue to feel rewarded for continuing to play.

I think though if the guy really wants to make an argument against games with random rewards and fulfillment loops then he should make a really long list of them instead of focusing on Destiny and using WoW for backstory.

I blame The Sims.

DLC in itself isn't a bad thing, imo. I have bought every Mass Effect DLC available to me, so I have no horse to get on. But, those DLC's were relatively cheap in comparison to Destiny's. £15 I think was the most any one cast.

I haven't pre-ordered TTK yet because I'm still in two minds about laying down £40 for this when I'll be buying MGS V, a full game, around the same time for almost exactly the same price. I'm still playing this game because of you guys and without you guys, the part of my brain that's saying 'fuck no' would win out, hands down.

I enjoy DLC as well...when it's worth it. Like the borderlands season pass. That DLC was the bomb.com imo(others may disagree). I'm still a believer that TDB and HOW was finished content they held back just to sell DLC, which is shady. When the guy in that video mentioned he thought the lack of content in Destiny was on purpose I couldn't help but agree. I really don't think TTK is worth 40$(or the shaft price every non USAer is getting) considering the content in Vanilla destiny was already thin as a wafer. So sying its half the content of the original game and worth 40$ is a joke imo. Just like how they are selling 3 shaders, exotics marks,bonds,capes, and some emblems for 20$ is a freaking joke. That is a 5$ DLC at best. But people will flood it and only encourage them to do it more. And then other devs will catch on as well.

Lnkn52

The rewards systems are absolutely designed to keep you playing, or to make you continue to feel rewarded for continuing to play.

I think though if the guy really wants to make an argument against games with random rewards and fulfillment loops then he should make a really long list of them instead of focusing on Destiny and using WoW for backstory.

But it may be other things that keep people hooked. I've never played WoW, but I'm pretty sure people stuck around if their buddies did. The Destiny community is build up of one of the nicest group of people. I'm constantly trying to get into the action here just because I want to be part of this group. You feel left out when you don't.

It also maybe the "Bungie" effect too. The name alone gathers loyal fans and new ones. It's the same when you talk about those that only buy Apple products. They live and breathe Apple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom