• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT25| The Taken Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

noomi

I love my LGH.

juaQ2V2.gif

Cold blooded.

Lnkn52

Morning all,

I picked up a copy of Destiny yesterday and like what I have played thus far. I do have one question in regards to the contents of the box. What came in the new copies? Am I missing any DLC codes that came with new copies or is the PS4 content just in the game?
As you can see by my "new" copy from GameStop, I'm a bit curious...
IMG_20150705_131238.jpg

IMG_20150705_131247.jpg

This obviously was my mistake, and I should have remembered I must be ever vigilant at GameStop. I though about returning it once I got home and opened the box, but i'll use this as a reminder to never go there again instead!

Welcome to DGAF. First off, I hate those damn GameStop stickers, it just ruins the cover box.

For redeemable codes checkout reddit. There is a Chrome script that inputs all the codes for you. Also, make sure to check the OP for other tips and tricks. And feel free to ask any questions. No question is a dumb question just the ones you don't ask.

Lombax

Banned
Weapons that you will never use really :p but if I may suggest it would be better way waiting for the September release of The Taken King. It is the next expansion, which is release on disc containing all release DLC and base game for $60. It's a better price for you in the end I believe :)

Thank you for the information. After hearing Luke on the GiantBomb after show, I decided to give the game a try and I like it a lot.
I'll definitely be picking up The Taken King as well!

36 hours without playing Destiny. Feeling empty inside now. I keep looking at the shelves trying to find other stuff to play, check the backlog on steam... Nothing attracts me now. Even single player games feel dead and sterile now. Which is pretty bad since this was my first MMO experience since Ragnarok Online in 2005.

Practically I have a little voice telling me "Why don't you give up and come back? Farm marks, do bounties, repeat those strikes again". After the grind to reach 32 I feel completely burned and want to give the game a good rest before returning for vault of Glass and the House of Wolves Storyline (PoE and ToO are still locked to me, I believe), but it feels as if now Destiny was my one and only game.

Anybody ever felt like this?

36 hours without playing Destiny. Feeling empty inside now. I keep looking at the shelves trying to find other stuff to play, check the backlog on steam... Nothing attracts me now. Even single player games feel dead and sterile now. Which is pretty bad since this was my first MMO experience since Ragnarok Online in 2005.

Practically I have a little voice telling me "Why don't you give up and come back? Farm marks, do bounties, repeat those strikes again". After the grind to reach 32 I feel completely burned and want to give the game a good rest before returning for vault of Glass and the House of Wolves Storyline (PoE and ToO are still locked to me, I believe), but it feels as if now Destiny was my one and only game.

It's why I quit destiny a month after release, tried the first DLC said, "nope they did it again, nothing's changed". Then just came back to try it out again. I can tell this time won't last too long either.

Lombax

Banned
Welcome to DGAF. First off, I hate those damn GameStop stickers, it just ruins the cover box.

For redeemable codes checkout reddit. There is a Chrome script that inputs all the codes for you. Also, make sure to check the OP for other tips and tricks. And feel free to ask any questions. No question is a dumb question just the ones you don't ask.

Thank you very much for the help.

So here is my first question. I'm currently level 4 (Warlock) and I was doing a patrol mission last night. I got 1 shotted by some level 32 Mob over and over trying to get away from him, is it normal that mobs that are way too high level for me show up on Patrols?

Lnkn52

So here is my first question. I'm currently level 4 (Warlock) and I was doing a patrol mission last night. I got 1 shotted by some level 32 Mob over and over trying to get away from him, is it normal that mobs that are way too high level for me show up on Patrols?

Yes and now more than ever since HoW (House of Wolves expansion) introduced these Bounties that include some higher difficult enemies dropping from ships.

Jinjo

Thank you for the information. After hearing Luke on the GiantBomb after show, I decided to give the game a try and I like it a lot.

You need all the other DLC's as well if you want to play Taken King, that's why he was saying you should maybe go for the september release if you're willing to wait, as that release includes Dark Below & House of Wolves. Unless you're wanting to buy those seperately already, just informing you there is no possibility to play Taken King with just the base Destiny game.

Kyoufu

That jerk was a recent addition as part of the House of Wolves expansion. I find its placement idiotic considering low level players need to go through that area to get patrol missions/bounties done.

Besides that one, you can easily avoid other high level enemies.

lol yeah idk why they put that Captain there

there are higher level enemies in the Cosmodrome anyway, but that one is directly in your way

also ignore Packs of Wolves

That's good, great gun play and great art work. The community is friendly and helpful so whenever you need help just post away :) especially for the raids, nightfall, PoE stuff.

Yep. Even if you don't have the DLC you may find a pack of Wolves roaming (they are for House of Wolves bounties), which can be quite nasty if for example you are doing an event solo and they cross your path. The worst for me has been the Queenbreaker in the tunnel between the Steppes and The Divide (Cosmodrome). I had to learn to run fast and until a few days ago i was not able to beat the damn bugger.

Except for that area, maps are big enough to be able to use an altenative safe route. Crota enemies from the Dark Below will not attack until provoked, luckily.

Yup, it's Destiny withdrawal kicking in. It happens, if you don't play for a few days, you'll feel weird and other games will feel unattractive.

Though if you get indulged with another game, it's pretty easy to get over Destiny..

Yup, it's Destiny withdrawal kicking in. It happens, if you don't play for a few days, you'll feel weird and other games will feel unattractive.

Though if you get indulged with another game, it's pretty easy to get over Destiny..

I bought Destiny as an experiment, and I was not even expecting it to hook me this much. it was just a "waiting game", something to keep playing until something good came out for PS4 (as in waiting for Persona 5, FF XV or Danganronpa AE) or I had a backlog buildup again. Since June I have only stopped playing for three days to do Tomb raider 2013, and I was literally pissed off at the game, just wanting to be over with the backlog and go back.

So right now it is the withdrawal making me want to play, while knowing that I am having Destiny burnout and it is not going to be a very enjoyable experience save for when I get to do the raid. The Eris morn quest were exhausting to the point were I really need to get a break. It's a pity since I can finally have my revenge on those wolves that made my life miserable on low levels.

SeanR1221

It's why I quit destiny a month after release, tried the first DLC said, "nope they did it again, nothing's changed". Then just came back to try it out again. I can tell this time won't last too long either.

I go in waves. Sometimes I love it and sometimes I want nothing to do with it and rather play other games.

Right now I'm loving it.

I bought Destiny as an experiment, and I was not even expecting it to hook me this much. it was just a "waiting game", something to keep playing until something good came out for PS4 (as in waiting for Persona 5, FF XV or Danganronpa AE) or I had a backlog buildup again. Since June I have only stopped playing for three days to do Tomb raider 2013, and I was literally pissed off at the game, just wanting to be over with the backlog and go back.

So right now it is the withdrawal making me want to play, while knowing that I am having Destiny burnout and it is not going to be a very enjoyable experience save for when I get to do the raid. The Eris morn quest were exhausting to the point were I really need to get a break. It's a pity since I can finally have my revenge on those wolves that made my life miserable on low levels.

Yeah I get it, though if you haven't done the house of wolves story missions, I suggest you start with those. They are way better than some of the vanilla missions and all the dark below missions.

Also there is one mission that gives you a glimpse into the vault of glass, so definitely go ahead and do those.

Admodieus

What is the current speculation for how existing weapons/armor will be handled in Taken King? Do we think the "Year One" references mean that 365 or Light +42 is the end of the line for our Fatebringer's, Vision of Confluence's, Saint 14's, etc? Part of me says no, but I wonder if Bungie wants to wipe the slate clean and get away from the reliance on Fatebringer, VoC, Gjallarhorn, Thorn, etc.

noomi

Today's really the first day I've been able to play all weekend, still haven't been to Mercury.

Anyone playing trials today?

What is the current speculation for how existing weapons/armor will be handled in Taken King? Do we think the "Year One" references mean that 365 or Light +42 is the end of the line for our Fatebringer's, Vision of Confluence's, Saint 14's, etc? Part of me says no, but I wonder if Bungie wants to wipe the slate clean and get away from the reliance on Fatebringer, VoC, Gjallarhorn, Thorn, etc.

It would be nice if they introduced new weapons that were anywhere near as good as VoG weapons and Gjallarhorn. So far.. Two DLC packs and two sets of mediocre weapons, save for a select few.

No worries. I think Aztechnology jumped off anyways. Another time!

Sorry I didn't respond guys, I just finished him off with two guys I got off LFG after I didn't hear anything for 15 minutes or so.

Btw I got 2 Elder Ciphers at once, do I actually get to get 2 weapons, or does it consume both when I choose a weapon?

Namikaze1

Sorry I didn't respond guys, I just finished him off with two guys I got off LFG after I didn't hear anything for 15 minutes or so.

Btw I got 2 Elder Ciphers at once, do I actually get to get 2 weapons, or does it consume both when I choose a weapon?
You only get 1 weapon. It's a known bug.

noomi

Doesnt look like anyone is really on or interested on Trials :(

Going to start plucking away at my PC backlog, I'll check back later.

Morning all,

I picked up a copy of Destiny yesterday and like what I have played thus far. I do have one question in regards to the contents of the box. What came in the new copies? Am I missing any DLC codes that came with new copies or is the PS4 content just in the game?
IMG_20150705_131238.jpg

IMG_20150705_131247.jpg

This obviously was my mistake, and I should have remembered I must be ever vigilant at GameStop. I though about returning it once I got home and opened the box, but i'll use this as a reminder to never go there again instead!

For $10 more you could have gotten the 3 dlcs if you bought the legendary edition. And correct me if I'm wrong but I think if you bought it digitally you could even play the vanilla game plus dlc 1 and 2 right now.

Deku Tree

Morning all,

IMG_20150705_131238.jpg

IMG_20150705_131247.jpg

Amazon has it for $19.99. You bought vanilla Destiny with no DLC codes for too much.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BGA9Y3W/?tag=neogaf0e-20

GameStop horrible prices. You can buy the year 1 season pass for $35 today.

You can also buy TTK Digital CE for $80 today which includes all of Destiny including TTK which is out on 9-15. This lets you play right away BTw.

On 9-15 you can buy the legendary edition for $60 which includes all of Destiny including TTK.

ocean

Banned
It would be nice if they introduced new weapons that were anywhere near as good as VoG weapons and Gjallarhorn. So far.. Two DLC packs and two sets of mediocre weapons, save for a select few.
The best weapons in the game are new.

Matador 64 is the best high impact shotgun.
LGH can be rolled into the best low impact sniper
Her Benevolence can be rolled into the best possible high impact sniper
BTRD is the best machine gun
Hopscotch Pilgrim is the best Pulse Rifle
You can now roll Auto Fire on any Scout, making VoC special only in terms of having an element and no more
Ash Factory is better than any previous legendary RL except for the equally good Radegast's Fury
The Summoner is a strong contender for perfect AR (still sucks, but not more than old ARs) unless you got uber lucky with a 1/1000 roll on a Vanquisher or Shadow Price back in the day
Hand Cannons haven't seen much evolution, but a well rolled Res Hand IX is at the very least as good as your old DYK or whatever.

The only old weapons that are still meaningfully special:
- Fatebringer: because it's the only Hand Cannon with Firefly. Since HCs are the hardest hitting primary, only a hand cannon is capable of killing enemies with Firefly splash damage. This is why one FB bullet can kill 10 Thralls instead of just damaging them. Truly amazing, but we saw regular Hand Cannons with Firefly during the E3 gameplay demonstrations. Sure it's not definitive but they already have Auto Fire to all SRs, I can see them giving Firefly to other HCs next. This will make FB a good, but not special weapon (like VoC is, saved by virtue of an element).

Black Hammer: White Nail, one of only 2 snipers in the entire game at the "insane" impact class. White Nail should have been an exotic perk, it's that good.

Found Verdict: perfect perk roll + perfect base stats. It's the most balanced Shotgun. Not a light hitter but not a super slow heavyweight. Max range. Super stable. Auto fire. It's not special or broken, it's just the best version of what a Shotgun can be.

That's it. Every other old legendary has an equal or better alternative available in HoW.

Exotics are another matter but let's face it: it's not that the new Exotics are bad. It's that most of the Exotics are old. TDB and HoW combined added a little bit over 1/3 the amount of exotic weapons we got in the base game.

Most top tier Exotics are Vanilla because most Exotics in general are Vanilla. it's not like they've failed to add newer, better exotics. Their idea so far has not been to replace old exotics with new ones but rather to add stuff that plays super differently.

Did they "replace" Invective? No, they gave us a fast firing insanity gun. They didn't "replace" Suros or Hard Light, they went for an ultra low impact type. No Land Beyond, Bow, Lord of Wolves are all Vex/Universal Remote types - crossover weapons that are usually not the absolute best for any given scenario but can be super fun to play with because they force you to change your game style. And Dreg's Promise is an entirely new weapon class.

What I mean is, Legendaries are better now than they've ever been and old exotics are still the good because they've never gone for "replacement" there but rather differentiation. They've updated arsenals in a way that makes it pointless to keep an old 3 Little Worlds next to your Hopscotch, but reasonable to hang your Vex next to your Lord of Wolves.

I hope they continue this path. Exotics are unique enough to deserve continued relevance, while they keep replacing Legendaries with newer, better stuff.

Morning DGAF.

It might finally be the time to take an extended break from destiny to coe back once TTK comes.

I have everything from VoG. Everything from CE.
Everything "fallen" from PoE armor and all elemental primaries from Skolas.
All armor from IB. (missing the helmet actually)
All armor and most weapons from Trials (just missing a Elemental Summoner lol).
All exotic weapons. All exotic armor I care about.
And most legendary weapons I want (except for a Spear from IB and the Pilgrim).

Also, it's all fully upgraded and ascended.

Time to hit that backlog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom