• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT25| The Taken Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sofa King

I'd love to see what a poll of players would say on the current state of the Thorn. I'd say 95% of ToO is Thorn or TLW with a very high skew to Thorn (on XB1). That to me says it is broken and a crutch.

Today was an awesome run for ToO, made many people happy with Mercury hopefully. Maybe squeeze in some games tomorrow, and otherwise next week again!

Great weekend indeed, went to Mercury together and separately this week.
Don't know for sure if I'll be there tomorrow evening, but if so we can try to get someone to Mercury.

Magik

I'd love to see what a poll of players would say on the current state of the Thorn. I'd say 95% of ToO is Thorn or TLW with a very high skew to Thorn (on XB1). That to me says it is broken and a crutch.

This may sound weird, but Thorn isn't really the issue. Its really the fact that outside of the holy trinity of hand cannons, there aren't many other guns that can compete so people are forced to run mainly Thorn.

I don't like using thorn myself, but there aren't many other viable options outside of TLW or HMoon.

Primaries outside of Hand Cannons need to be buffed and reblanced.

Sofa King

This may sound weird, but Thorn isn't really the issue. Its really the fact that outside of the holy trinity of hand cannons, there aren't many other guns that can compete so people are forced to run mainly Thorn.

I don't like using thorn myself, but there aren't many other viable options outside of TLW or HMoon.

Primaries outside of Hand Cannons need to be buffed and reblanced.

I agree, but the Thorn is almost like a sniper with its range and poison

Kyoufu

My biggest issue with Thorn is the visual effect of the poison DoT. It's incredibly off-putting, which makes it a big psychological advantage for the user.

I find shotguns to be more annoying though, especially when they're coupled with Blink.

Magik

I agree, but the Thorn is almost like a sniper with its range and poison

I think a minor debuff is needed. I don't like how two head shots + DoT is a gaurantee kill.

I think if they either need to:

a) Reduced the overall damage so it takes 3 shots + DoT

or

b) Reduce DoT so that two headshots + DoT won't kill you. It should leave you with a bit of health but not kill you.

Minor Debuff to Thorn plus a buff to all other non-hand cannons are needed otherwise its Game of Thorns all day everyday.

Edit: A reduction to range is need as well since it can outgun Scout and Pulse Rifles which makes no sense.

Unstable

Is the level of competition different on Xbox One vs PS4?
Hard to judge. I've obviously played more Trials on Playstation (Around 900 matches I believe) than on Xbox so the sample size is significantly smaller. On top of that, when you're running with unleveled and non optimal weapons/gear all opponents seem inherently harder.

But, from the little I have played It does seem easier on Xbox than PS4. This could be for a variety of reasons.

My theory is that it's a psychological shift. I have bad gear therefore I'm playing more conservatively. Shifting my play style so I only engage in fights when I have an advantage, Minimizing my risk. I simply couldn't compete otherwise. I'm probably winning more games because of this.

Mindlog

Ultra-smooth run to Mercury courtesy of Wicked and Rubenov. Thank you both very much.
Got an Arc Messenger, yay!
And a second Celestial Nighthawk.
Most importantly, shader!

Pretty neat considering during my Crucible dailies I earned two 'On the Bright Side' medals.

Personally, I'm tired of this meta. I'm sick of exotic HC outclassing everything except for a few choice pulse rifles, and I'm sick of shotguns that have absurd range. There are some other things I believe also needs to be changed, but I'm mainly talking about weapon balance at the moment. I enjoy Destiny's pvp, but I do tend to grow tired of it, especially when we have been in this same state of balance for months now. I'm mainly looking forward to the next major balance patch and what it'll bring.

Out 1

I think a minor debuff is needed. I don't like how two head shots + DoT is a gaurantee kill.

I think if they either need to:

a) Reduced the overall damage so it takes 3 shots + DoT

or

b) Reduce DoT so that two headshots + DoT won't kill you. It should leave you with a bit of health but not kill you.

Minor Debuff to Thorn plus a buff to all other non-hand cannons are needed otherwise its Game of Thorns all day everyday.

Edit: A reduction to range is need as well since it can outgun Scout and Pulse Rifles which makes no sense.

agreed. range nerf is definitely needed. although I don't find Thorn that annoying on this week's map.

if anyone's going for flawless, please consider me.

X-Frame

Team WTSisPoshy wrecked team ShesMyNerd in the final.

ShesMyNerd is the top Crucible player by DTR score but his team was ranked fourth and they upset the second ranked team in th semis.

Poshy had the number one seated team and wrecked it.

As far as I know team Triple didn't make it into the top four.

Isn't AEGabriel on Poshy's team?

Mindlog

If you are interested.
Devils are going to try and play against TripleWreck soon. Hopefully lag doesn't get in the way. Triple and Nghtly should both be streaming.

Should be pretty good.

Disker

You can get Warlock heavy boots from VoG or CE raids.

I know, but i like te get a complete ToO set, and it really sucks that Warlock is the only one with special ammo........ (this time).

And they don't even have exotic boots with heavy perks, c'mon.

Magik

Me and some friends were scrubbed badly in ToO for the past month. Any suggestions on how we can improve?

Get one of the trinity hand cannons (Thorn, TLW, Hawkmoon), good sniper, and full range shotgun. Check youtube videos for proper loadouts for your character.
Try different sensitivity options
Play lots of Crucible.

Today was an awesome run for ToO, made many people happy with Mercury hopefully. Maybe squeeze in some games tomorrow, and otherwise next week again!

Good stuff Tears and Robinson, helped many gaffers get to Mercury :)

We had some great raids too, a couple of new players through VoG and Crota, felt like early days of raiding :)

Deku Tree

Isn't AEGabriel on Poshy's team?

Yes but he had a horrible k/d in the finals. Very negative. In the first match of the finals Poshy was like 16 kills and 3 deaths.

DTR score seems like it basically says nothing about who is better among the top level players. You really have to play to find out.

Future

Every week I solo the first section of Croat raid to get the drops with my hunter. Is anything else in that raid solo able or is that it nowadays with current patches?

Are bounties a good way to level weapons? I don't even know what a lot of XP is, but some of these give out 2500+.

Bounties are the best way to level up weapons. Pick up all you can and complete them all and it will level a good portion of a legendary and a bit of an exotic.

Shito

Are bounties a good way to level weapons? I don't even know what a lot of XP is, but some of these give out 2500+.
A very good way to level up gear yes. Even more so if you have the nightfall buff.

Every week I solo the first section of Croat raid to get the drops with my hunter. Is anything else in that raid solo able or is that it nowadays with current patches?
You can still solo the whole raid. :)

Gong

Yep, go buy a telemetry for the weapon class you're levelling from the gunsmith and pop it before you hand in said bounties. It makes the whole process a lot less of a grind, esp. with pre HoW exotics.

Jabronium

Spent some time reforging a pair of Matadors I'd gotten. Here's what I wound up with, not sure which will be more effective:

Option 1: Aggressive ballistics, shot package, rifled barrel, grenadier
Option 2: Accurized ballistics, shot package, reinforced barrel, luck in the chamber

#2 has a hair less impact due to accurized vs aggressive ballistics, but luck in the chamber seems far superior to grenadier.

Deku Tree

Damn, that sounded like it was fun. Nghtly chat said that Triple went 0-13 in one game. Rough.

Just tells you how high the level of competition really was... I was amazed how fast these players could zone in on perfect split second head shots over and over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom